[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 8 KB, 220x184, 220px-Damascus_Bowie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
194703 No.194703 [Reply] [Original]

Greetings,
Any tips on making a knife? Suggested metal, best way of shaping how to set in the handle. Help a no-nothing out.

>> No.194724
File: 43 KB, 900x600, File Knife15-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I think you need to heat treat the blade to give it the correct hardness, or at least on the edge. This is usually gauged on the Rockwell scale. You will usually see something like "XXX Carbon Steel 56/57 Rockwell" for example on a commercial knife.

I would say shaping the blade is the easy part provided you have the correct tools. Old files are often said to be good blanks, from there you will need to use a grinder and possibly a saw and file in the end. I don't know if these files are already hardened or whether you would have to do that over again after shaping.

If you do decide to go the file route they usually have slim tangs so a sectioned handle with a tang channel chiseled out would be easy to do. Or you could drill it out. Don't know about strength. Obviously a full tang would be better if you can find a file long enough you could just get rid of the existing tang and use part of the file for a blade and part for a full tang.

Anyway that should give you a few things to think about and research.

>> No.194747

>>194703
>Any tips on making a knife?
Read the sticky.

>> No.195229

Go to a scrap yard and get leaf springs from an old car. Watch a video called "knife making unplugged".

>> No.195265

>no-nothing
It's know-nothing.

>> No.195276

http://www.greenpete.co.uk/are-you-from-the-u-s-a/
was a pretty good knife making tutorial but he blocked it out for some reason