[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 62 KB, 600x803, 384902_10150535808108352_695008351_10795009_1279057801_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
194593 No.194593 [Reply] [Original]

hey guys, ok I have 15 acres in north cali , several chickens and goats coming in june. just started prepping. have any tips for a newbie?

>> No.194597

how many firearms do you own?

>> No.194598

oh lord. i have no guns. But i have trained in using them. Think things will get that bad?

>> No.194599

>>194598
>california
>no guns
>prepping

you should go to /k/ and make this thread lol

>> No.194603

ill provide the firearms if you let me rape your butthole on a nightly basis.

>> No.194604

i know, i just hate weapons.. they freak me out

>> No.194605

>>194604
>i know, i just hate weapons.. they freak me out

then buy some, target shoot with them constantly, and fantasize about killing home invaders until you feel better.

>> No.194608

>>194604
i suppose that 300lb nigger who is going to rape you is less scarier than a tool to defend yourself with? you are delusional.

>> No.194609

>>194604
Most of my neighbors owned large amounts of property, and my grandfather owned huge fields and a good portion of the woods next to them.

I have never known any of these people to need to use a gun on their property other than for choosing to shoot at animals they didn't want around, like skunks, possums, etc.

You don't NEED a gun. They can be useful, but I wouldn't go thinking that you can't live without one.

>> No.194610

>>194609
>You don't NEED a gun

care to elaborate?

>> No.194613

>>194604
what's more frightening owning and knowing how to use guns...

or being completely and utterly defenseless in a very dangerous situation where the only person who can defend you is yourself.

>> No.194614

>>194610
I explained the use of a gun in my post.

>> No.194616
File: 228 KB, 1440x1080, DSCF8057 (Large).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Get a tiny gun like a Glock 20.

>> No.194617

>>194614
no, you explained a single use. elaborate why you dont need them, not just state how someone used it. do you even think about the things you say or do you just parrot other peoples opinions?

>> No.194618
File: 10 KB, 250x250, thatsnice.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>194617
0/10 for trolling, or gun nut with invalid opinions. Pic related.

OP, guns are not needed. They can be useful, but are not required. People that think that you can't live without a gun because SOMEDAY you're going to need to shoot someone should do the rest of us a favor and shoot themselves.

>> No.194620
File: 401 KB, 2592x1552, IMG_20120410_031928.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>194616
Dude you can't just come into someones thread and start pointing guns at them.

>> No.194621

If things "get bad enough" that you need a gun, you're fucking fucked whether you have a gun or not.

I'd still recommend having a shotgun or rifle in case a large wild animal shows up to eat your chickens and goats.

I assume you mean California not Cali, Colombia.

>> No.194622
File: 919 KB, 940x630, bleh.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>194620
Seriously!

That is so rude.

>> No.194625
File: 52 KB, 480x640, IMG_20120303_113615.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>194620
>>194622
Clearly the combined powers of our PX4s have scared the suicide bomber off.

>> No.194626
File: 61 KB, 815x546, px4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>194625
raaa!

>> No.194627

>>194618
Like it or not in any situation where you'll need to grow your own food or use stocked up supplies, you'd better have a gun because others WILL have guns and they WILL want your supplies.

>> No.194628

>How should I prep for my new little farm?

>GUN THREAD

oh you guys...

OP, do you have anything currently to house these animals, or do you need to build something? If you need to build, you'll want to consider how you want to raise these animals.

Goats and chickens can live together without issues, so you can really just build one shelter, and inside that section off one area with roosts and nesting places for the chickens. If the animals are mostly going to be confined to the shelter, you'll want to make it large enough to give them some moving space. If you're going to attach a fenced-in area to let the animals be somewhat "free range," then the shelter can me much smaller just to handle a place to store and distribute feed and provide protection from the elements.

Create a way to keep any feed that you may have for the animals separate, because goats will eat anything they can get to, and will clean out your chickens' feed immediately.

>> No.194629

>>194625
dat trigger discipline
10/10 would bang

>> No.194630

>>194618
call me a troll all you want, you still havnt provided what i asked for, which is not an unreasonable request. just because you cant express yourself without abusing and attacking others doesnt mean you have to act the way you are, child. op made a prepping thread. being prepared means owning a way to defend yourself and your belongings. dont be so naive.

>> No.194631

>>194627
I lived on a farm. That never happened. Family members also live on other farms, and that has never happened. Friends of the family that own farms have never had that happen, either. This ranges from farms that raise vegetables or livestock.

The only times guns have been fired on those properties were to deal with vermin, not corn thieves or cattle rustlers.

You're simply paranoid.

>> No.194634
File: 91 KB, 350x340, 1239262849191 copy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>194630
>you don't share my opinion. you're immature.

>> No.194635

>>194634
claiming troll because you cant answer my question is immature. prove me wrong, as well as answer my question.

>> No.194636

Nor cal here, hopefully you have a decent coop for das chickies. Coons will get them if you're not careful.

>> No.194638

>>194631
>>194631
And I live in the fucking country now, and have shot at people on my property in the middle of the night recently. If you think guns are not needed, and think people telling you otherwise are childish, then you'll learn the hard way.

If the shit hits the fan you will be the one that finds out how full of shit we are.

And besides, how are you going to kill the animals for food? Hugs?

>> No.194639

>>194631
no one in this thread besides you has said anything about shooting thieves and rustlers. maybe you should drop the attitude that all gun owners are murderers, because you have to be smart enough to realize its not true. no one could be that emotionally blinded.

>> No.194640
File: 18 KB, 436x436, 128617597892.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>194639
>no one in this thread besides you has said anything about shooting thieves and rustlers.

>>194605
>fantasize about killing home invaders until you feel better.
This directly references shooting someone that is going to rob you.

>>194608
>i suppose that 300lb nigger who is going to rape you is less scarier than a tool to defend yourself with? you are delusional.
This, which I believe is your post, suggests that if you don't own a gun, you will be raped, more specifically by unsightly minorities.

>>194627
>Like it or not in any situation where you'll need to grow your own food or use stocked up supplies, you'd better have a gun because others WILL have guns and they WILL want your supplies.
This states that there is, without a doubt, going to be a gun fight, so you need to be prepared to shoot someone.

>>194638
>And I live in the fucking country now, and have shot at people on my property in the middle of the night recently.
This states a recent event wherein the poster shot at someone.

There are multiple accounts of people talking about shooting other people. You're either not reading the thread because you're so desperate to challenge my opinion, or your trolling is weak.

>> No.194642

>>194640
still cant answer my question? its ok to be wrong you know, whats not is acting immature and dodging the question. come back when you grow up out of your "troll with every post" phase.

>> No.194643

>>194638
OP never mentioned anything about butchering. The chickens could be for eggs, and the goats could be for milk. Also, most butchering isn't done with guns. There are multiple ways of killing something the size of a goat that doesn't waste a bullet, and shooting a chicken would be far more of a hassle than breaking it's neck or chopping it's head off.

PS, as someone that raised chickens, they are not hard to catch for butchering.

>> No.194644

>>194642
Why are you even bothering with them? Just know that when the end comes,
there will be at least one farm in north cali where you can get some chickens, goats, and your rape on without any hassle.

>> No.194645
File: 493 KB, 1024x819, 1324646126049.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>194643
i find it quaint that people who know absolutely nothing about firearms have such strong opinions on them. pic related.

>> No.194646
File: 60 KB, 617x725, 1331343400337.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Honestly, do any of you farm people understand what "prepping" is....

>> No.194647
File: 2.13 MB, 400x282, 1298849235084.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>194642
The answer is already in my first post. Guns don't do anything other than shoot - that is the use of a gun. I already said that a gun could be used for shooting, specifically skunks and possums. You just refuse to accept it because it doesn't fit into your fantasy about shooting black people. Because of that, you believe I am immature and unprepared for when "a 300lbs nigger" will inevitably come to my door.

Your arguments are terrible, which is why I state 0/10 if trolling, or gun nut with invalid opinions.

>>194645
I like how you believe I don't know anything about guns simply because I don't agree with you. I've owned them in the past and have been hunting on multiple occasions. I know how to use and maintain firearms, but in the end didn't find much use for them and didn't want them sitting around, so I got rid of them.

There is no point to this particular post you made other than to incite argument, which is why I state 0/10 if trolling, or gun nut with invalid opinions.

I'm sure you'll continue to tell me that I'm immature, ill-prepared, incredibly wrong, or a rape victim waiting to happen, since your arguments are circular: "agree with me or you're a horrible idiot."

This argument is going in circles. You have the information and opinions in front of you, you just don't like them and want to fight.

>> No.194649

>>194646

Maybe they aren't thinking /k/ prepping, but worry about things like long blackouts, road blocking snow storms and so on instead.

>> No.194650

>>194646
see
>>194628

It's just hard to have the on-topic discussion because /k/ is here.

>> No.194651

>>194647
that doesnt answer my question. learn to read and stop dodging the question, calling me a troll and acting like a child.

see the picture i posted >>194645 it describes you perfectly.

stop being so ignorant.

>> No.194652
File: 44 KB, 500x375, archer1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>194651
see
>>194647
>I'm sure you'll continue to tell me that I'm immature, ill-prepared, incredibly wrong, or a rape victim waiting to happen, since your arguments are circular: "agree with me or you're a horrible idiot."

>This argument is going in circles. You have the information and opinions in front of you, you just don't like them and want to fight.

Goodnight, everybody~

>> No.194653

outside of da'chan, if you look up prepping on the web, most forums and websites don't really put guns, etc. in any prominent position.

Of course, we all know that /diy//k/s gonna /diy//k/ , so fuck OP for starting the thread and playing dumb on guns, and fuck the haters who demanded a near exclusive /k/ thread.

Kill this thread with fire.

>> No.194654

>>194652
you still havnt answered my question. you cant, so you dodge it.

pretty typical of someone who knows nothing of what they are talking about and have dug themselves a hole they cant get out of. come back when you can communicate on an adult level.

>> No.194656

>>194650
I see that post but not seeing anything that resembles prepping in any way.

If you wanna talk about a goat habitat why not just ask /an/?

How about: op whats your water source, is there food for the animals IE grazing lands, are you prepared in case the power goes out, what about medicine, do you have instuctional guides, ect....

I don't really prep in any way really because its a bit retarded imo but this thread is pathetic.

>> No.194657
File: 38 KB, 241x230, 1330278534166.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>194649
lol, well /k/ prepping is:

A: rape & pillage
B: bunker
C: talk big on internet, get shot when no one is fooled by airsoft.

>> No.194661

Goddamnit you faggots ruin everything. Hey, fatass gun nut, go back to /k/. Maybe if you'd do some jogging and push-ups you wouldn't feel so helpless and need to carry around a metal penis to make you feel better. And to the guy arguing with him, you shut up too.

OP, don't worry about guns if they freak you out. There are many other areas to focus on with "prepping" than defense.

Is your land good for farming? You might have already started a garden. Do so if you haven't. 15 acres is great and could feed you easily with enough left over to store. Get into canning. Goats and chickens are a good start, consider pigs too. I think variety is a good thing to have. Humans became a lot healthier when we had access to more than gruel and bread.

Have you considered a small solar farm? Do you store water? Do you have a purification system set up? Blacksmithing isn't hard to pick up and you can build a small workshop for pretty cheap from found/salvaged materials. It's a great skill since you can make most of your tools with just a hammer, forge, and anvil.

Provide more info on your set up so we can better see how to help you .

>> No.194665
File: 237 KB, 594x623, gnu.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Have you considered buying a gnu?

>> No.194667
File: 164 KB, 360x270, 1235034873703.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>194665

>> No.194669
File: 17 KB, 220x150, Phineas_Ferb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>This whole thread.
I'm not gun crazy or anything, but I can understand at least keeping a small firearm on hand.

While I don't see you needing to kill your animals with it(Because who would waste a bullet on a chicken, seriously)
You never know if you get a predator or vermin on your property. Though I don't know exactly where OP lives, so I don't know exactly what they get, but they probably at least get coyotes and foxes.

Also, it may not happen, but it might be a good idea in the event of a home invasion robbery. But I would hope OP at least had a decent sized dog or two with such a decent sized property.

>> No.194684

>>194669

Yes because a robbery is assured to happen in the middle of no where on her farm.

>> No.194685
File: 51 KB, 450x450, 1258438635465.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>194684
>rampant paranoia

>> No.194691

Ha, I live in norcal
Are you going to grow weed like the rest of everyone here?

>> No.194699

id highly consider getting a shotgun as mentioned in her simply because its easy to fire , effective and the most important thing if nothing else scary looking, and also the fact that if your out aways it will take the cops a few more minutes than normal to get to your place if you need them, and also id get good at fixing your own stuff, as anybody should because its way cheaper and i dont know if your going to make a living off your livestock or not but make sure you have proper accommodations for them,with fencing and say a cold weather shack before you even get them and also always have some extra food on hand for them and whatnot, a great example would be hay, great for food and insulation for their shack in the winter

>> No.194702

Your going to need a good 22 rifle and revolver both have minimal kick, if they are both .22s you can interchange the ammo, the rifle has the range to hit foxes and racoons and shit from the house and the hand gun will be small enough to keep pocketed in case your not near the house and need to shoot something. and a dog at the bare minimum to deal with predators who will see your chickens and goats as delicious meals free for the taking. You need housing for both, a place that is shady, warm in the winter, cool in the summer and dry year round. Fencing is a must, unless you feel the goats and chickens will simply prefer to stay with you. Also a place to put their was

>> No.194704

>>194699
oooh, also if you want to keep mean animals like racoons and foxes and hell even a coyote/wild dog, get a llama, theyre very protective and can seriously kick the crap out of any animals trying to mess with chickens and goats , family got one and haven't had any problems for quite awhile with stray animals

>> No.194757

>>194593
I grew up on a ranch, am not a /k/ommando, and assume by "prepping" you mean preparing to raise chickens and goats. I've no experience with chickens or goats, but for any small livestock you'll want;
1) A fenced-off area to keep them in.
2) A dog large enough to get possessive about the territory and chase off coyotes and the like. Make sure you discourage the dog from eating chickens. Raise him around the other critters from a pup and he's less likely to consider them food.
3) A gun, honestly. Just a little shotgun to handle gophers, coyotes, and other varmints.
4) Make friends with the people around your 15 acres. Neighbours are going to be a big help no matter what.

Assuming you're going to live out on the land, your first concern should be water; get a well and a septic tank. Power is probably going to be important, too, to run the well at least.

Ask more specific questions.

>> No.194811

Here you go OP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npB8qltaB6g
look at the 300 and 2000 year old food forest in that channel as well.

There's also this guy that you could get some ideas from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bar82jvGvPE

>> No.194823

>>194661
> calling gun a metal penis
oh oh god that was a good laugh thanks anon

>> No.194825

OP, the best advice for chickens is don't just fence them off, please make a cement foundation, cover with top soil if you must then embed a good fence into concrete, the biggest pain in the ass was when wild animals would find them and over 2 days eat about 45 chickens, fucking sucked cleaning that shit

tldr;; cement foundation --> top soil --> embed fence into foundation-> chickens

>> No.194853

>>194626
I love you annon
my dad just purchased a storm, and we did the same thing with my foregrip haha

>> No.194861

>>194684
not to be a faggot but
if they're planning on prepping for the new world order and not just aminal prepping.

She /needs/ a gun, because all i know is my ass isnt going to stay home when SHTF, im going to have a months worth of food, let shit cool down, and then rape pillage and steal everything i can get my hands on.

Now with a large farm like that, i'd more or less be like "yo i've got an arsenal you've got land, lets be buddies" but to the average fallout3 tier thug just pillaging shit, she will probably be murdered, raped, and pillaged (in that order)

And OP theres nothing at all to be afraid of when it comes to guns, go to a gun range where you can rent guns, and see if an instructor will help you out, i dont understand where this illogical fear comes from, thats like being deathly afraid of a car simply because it can kill you. (i was also brought up around guns so theres that)

>> No.194879

>>194593
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=695008351

>> No.195154

>>194861 This! This! This! I'm prepping by making sure I got plenty of ammo! Then I just take what I want! I'm not to far from all the gun demonizing freaks in norcal, figure Imake my way up there, enslave em all and live like a pariah! Just remember being a gun owner makes you a citizen, not owning one makes you a subject!

>> No.195169

If you're going to raise animals, get it in your head now that you're going to end up killing some of them, and that's even if you don't use them for meat. There are a lot of things that can happen to them where it is infinitely more kind to kill the animal than wait on it to die on its own. If you don't have it in you to give that mercy, then you don't need to keep any.

As far as chickens go: you can have as many hens as you want, but you don't want to keep roosters. They will fight and given their druthers it'll most likely be to the death. If you have the means to keep roosters and hens separate, then you can keep a few, but the moment a hen comes around, they'll be settling the pecking order. Oh, and be ready to watch some chicken raping going on. Roosters get theirs primarily through surprise sex.

For your hens, feed them egg laying pellets. They have stuff like extra calcium in them to help replace what's lost when she makes an egg. If you feed mainly pellets, also keep some scratch feed on hand (stuff with mixes of cracked corn and various nuts and such) that you'll want to throw in grass where they can see it. Keeping them scratching at the ground for some feed'll help keep them in shape. Cut back on feeding corn in hot weather because it raises their internal temperature, conversely feed it in winter.

Make damn sure they've got enough clean water.

If you raise chicks, there are supplements you need to get from the local co-op to mix in their water (kinda like a pedalyte but with some immune system boosters) and you can get a feed grinder to grind down pellets to a powder the chicks can easily eat. You'll really want to cage them because chicks kill themselves in many, many ways. This is especially true if you've got some while it's cold: they'll pile up on each other and smother the bottom ones if you don't keep them in a place that's adequately warm.
<continued>

>> No.195182

>>195169
Do this, raise chicks. Keep the females for eggs. and om nom the Roosters when they get big enough. Also consider buying Batches of fertilised eggs, to spice up the gene pool. Keep one of the roosters from these batches for breeding. You need one and only one otherwise they will fight. Get a one from a large breed. As he better defend his hens from rats and what-not if he is a massive mo-fo

>> No.195185

Baytril will be your friend. Learn the basic signs of a sick chicken, and when you see a sick one separate and treat it. Illnesses can kill an entire flock in a blink of an eye.

Oh, cut your rooster's spurs. You can probably find someone to show you exactly where to cut to not get it in the quick, but it's much, much better to do that once a year than get an inch long spike in your leg.

Make sure your chickens have a place to perch. Their feet aren't designed to constantly be on flat ground.

If you keep them in cages, make sure there is something between bare dirt and them, if not grass then at the very least hay (you can also toss scratch feed into hay).

Let's see...once chicks get a little size to them they'll start pecking each other, pulling the feathers off and such. You can stop that by giving them some styrofoam to peck at, and no matter what's said, it's not just overcrowding that causes them to do it. It definitely makes the pecking worse, but the little blighters will do it anyway.

<one more part to go>

>> No.195187

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/

>> No.195188

Give the chickens something to hide under and get some fake owls to put up and hang highly reflective strips around. The owls supposedly help keep hawks and such away and the reflective strips screw with owl's vision at night. If hawks get bad enough, you might consider getting a few pigeons. For some reason a hawk'll tend to go after pigeons before chickens and chicks.

If you find a dead chicken that's had its head eaten away, most likely you've got an owl--they eat the head and neck first, then come back the next night for the rest, and possibly the next night after that. Yay circle of life.

You might seriously want to reconsider that gun stance because you might well need one for some of the other predators that will go after chickens. I'm not sure how y'all are on wildcats, bobcats, or foxes, but I'm pretty sure y'all have opossums and raccoon out there along with chicken snakes. A hoe'll do in snakes, but for possums and coons? A little .22'll do you nicely.

As for the goat, they're pretty idiot proof. Heck, just fence in a place with a lot of undergrowth and you can possibly get away with just giving a little maintenance feed to make sure they're getting everything they need nutrient wise and water. If you're planning on eating them or using them for milk you want to be particular about their diet, but otherwise, they do a damn good job of clearing brush. Oh, don't bend over in front of one, well, unless you want to be on youtube.

Oh, and the bastards will climb anything that they can. Notice I didn't say "might climb" I said "will climb". Not much you can do about that other than make sure everything is either too tall or can support their weight.

>> No.195201

goats are awful and bang their stupid fucking heads against everything and are retarded and stubborn. they eat almost everything, but thats not really a good thing because theyll eat shit like ivy whichll fuck em up. they taste great though.. maybe worth keeping a couple in a goat pen for that i guess.

i have like... two roosters and 30 chickens? roosters are pretty chill... sometimes hang by themselves, but usually their girls will follow. ive lost maybe 7 chickens over a years+ time from predators... they're like $3.50 pop big deal. although i think 2 of them got killed by the neighbors dog im not too sure on that. during the day hawks will swoop on them and shit but i figure if theyre stupid enough to get hawk'd then weed em out. they just roam around in a couple acres of orchard during the day eating whatever is on the ground... bugs i guess. seems like my dumb ones died and the smart ones have stayed alive. coyotes come down at night but we have an all bark no bite dog that usually keeps them away... they just yip and howl. bears but ive never seen once close to the property, and bobcats are like up in the super rugged area... usually near streams and stuff. every now and coyotes come into the property but i have a 25ft by 25ft fenced area and two largeish homemade coops and a doghouse the chickens like using. you can easily herd them all back into the fenced area at night, but they seem to go back on their own. i close it off before it gets too dark. we have owls but they havent been a problem during the day and... coop is protected at night

i have a shotgun, a 22, a 45 and some ak which im just holding onto but honestly ive never had or really needed to use them for anything major at the property... i see no point. if you have varmint problems use traps and like a pellet gun for squirrels. squirrels are awful too. seriously.

>> No.195206

>>195201

also i had chicken lice once. other than that no problems with diseases or anything. if i do get any i figure google fu or some local old timer will tell me what the fuck is up.

>> No.195231

>>194593
ugh, ignore the gunfag. They can't take a shit without a sidearm for fear of being raped by a nigger, or some other sort of racist horseshit they got bubbling around in their minds. Must be the bluing or something..

As a Norcalfag, You probably won't be needing that gun to shoot bad guys. Depending on whether you're in the flatlands or the foothills, you'll need one for either killer strays or mountain lions. I doubt you would need anything more than a .22 rifle.

>> No.195239

>>195201
Fair enough. Just figured I would share my experiences with raising chickens, but then I also have more of a stake in them than you seem to.

Heh, goats do suck at life.

As for the guns, I was just under the impression you refused to have any (I admit to skipping a lot of the gun debate in this thread), so all I'll say to that is either learn to use them or just get rid of them entirely. Personally, I think they're worthwhile to learn to use and whatnot, but if you don't think so, then the best thing to do is get rid of them. Bad Things can happen otherwise.

If you ever want a dog that does more than yip, might want to look into Great Pyrenees, but only if your entire place is fenced. If it's just that area you described, then Pyres'll wander off quite a bit.

>> No.195262

>>195231
>enjoy firearms as a hobby
>you dont like them, lump every gun owner in the paranoid people

stop stereotyping people, makes you look like a ki­d. you dont know about firearms yet you think you have any valid opinions on them. for instance, first you said you would encounter mountain lions, but them recommend a .22? all that will do is piss it off.

>>195239
>Bad Things can happen otherwise.

like what? guns dont magically come to life and start shooting by themselves. stop spreading misinformation and fear.

>> No.195266
File: 349 KB, 1199x900, goats.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

goats rock, and the young ones are cute as shit. The two older males are a pain in my ass though... they'll push under a 10ft section of fence... I've practically doubled the amount of tposts because of it.

pic related, my goats

>> No.195274

>>195262
It's not fear it's common sense. If I'm not going to use 50 gallons of sulfuric acid, I'm not going to keep it around the house.

And how exactly is it spreading fear to tell someone who has stated unequivocally that she has no interest to learn how to use guns safely (which also includes storing and general handling beyond just shooting them) that it's best if she gets rid of them? Without taking the steps to learn how to safely store, handle, and otherwise interact with them any time she interacts with them can be dangerous, even if she's just sliding one out of the way to put the christmas tree back in the closet.

Recall how the balance of accidental shootings are due to ignorance.

If you're not willing to learn how to use guns, fine more power to you, but that means that if you have guns then you're a danger to yourself and everyone around you. Period.

>> No.195318

>>195274
>common sense
>prepping thread
>not keeping things that have a definitive use, unlike sulfuric acid around

are you acting retarded or are you really brain damaged?

>> No.195331

preparing the farm area?

well, when my grandfather was keeping some cows (for a neighbor) in a fallow section of land, the first thing he did was spend some time wandering through the area checking for dangerous plants. Like the massive poison ivy bush-tree-monster in the mostly ignored area. He ended up putting up a circlet of heavy fencing around the shrubbery monster and dosed it up with poison to kill it off.

He was worried that dumb cows might eat the leaves and get sick, and i have heard that goats are even dumber then cows in that respect.

Oh, and i think you need to do de-worming on goats annually? I would doublecheck on having all of their med needs and a plan for applying it.

>> No.195332

>>195318
The utility is mitigated by the unwillingness to learn to use it properly.

Also, sulfuric acid has a fuckton of uses.

>> No.195341

>>195332
so you are brain damaged. good to know im talking to someone who has no idea what hes talking about.

>> No.195346

>>195332
Walter? Walter White?

>> No.195364

one word GREENHOUSE

>> No.195368

can i come work for you? i don't need pay just accomodation

>> No.195388

That cat is fucking HUGE. Want more pictures of cat. And the really cute boot the lady is holding.

>> No.195404

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=695008351 You need help? Contact me, I've better skills in survival than 90% of Americans.

>> No.195920
File: 229 KB, 1280x768, farm-IMG_5167.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>194593
better learn all the rules related to farming, from noise to dust to types of animals, and how you can or cannot sell your produce/products; or whether you can or cannot kill a field mouse. Every detail is now regulated. violate any and you could find your self in jail, your animals put down and your land confiscated.

and you think i'm kidding....

also don't plant any GMO crops, they are a major disaster and also kill honey bees. be prepared for an enormous amount of physical labor. I'm a computer programmer that now works on a farm to pay the bills and it's never ending.

also your are either very small or that is one huge cat.

>> No.195931

So far it looks like north cali wont be hit as hard from the radiation from fukushima.

Make no mistake, that was and is the biggest nuclear disaster in history, and it's looks like it will only get worse from here.

Might want to invest in some fallout testing equipment.

>> No.196009

>>195931

That's bullshit. The US govt. open-air detonated 1000 nukes in the Southwest deserts. Fukushima is small potatoes compared to the fallout we inflicted on ourselves.

>> No.196025

>>196009
10/10
keep living in that dream anon. Qty and nature of the radioactive materials is staggering. The govt has all but stopped measuring the fall out so as to not have to report it, the EPA also significantly raised the levels of radiation levels they say were safe thanks to Fukushima. So if the govt says it's true, and the media says it's true, must be true. *folds hands*
Japanese have done the same, only they are also trying to stop civilians from measuring it for themselves. Not to mention they have a plan in place now to evacuate all of Tokyo, but hey Japan listen up, don't worry, anon here says it all BS.

>> No.196071

>>196025
>evacuate all of Tokyo
That will never happen because fatalism.

>> No.196085

>>194593
That cat is HUGE!

Or maybe that girl is just small, IDK.

>> No.196120

>>195341
>Think guns are perfectly safe in the absence of proper safety training.
>Call people who point this out "retarded" and "braindead".

Stay classy, /k/.