[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 104 KB, 1440x900, 1332944434337.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
190725 No.190725 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/hards,
I've been in my first house for a few years now, and years of apartment living and lack of a father in my young adulthood I dont know how to fix/repair/maintain hardly anything around the house. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, and I love taking things apart, I just dont know where to start, and dont have many tools. I have 3 things I want to know:

1) What are the "must have" tools that a man needs to have around the house to fix most home fixtures/appliances?

2) Is there a good DIY resource that will show you how to fix most common problems in a house?

3) Is there a good resource to help me build a yearly maintenance plan so I know when I need to clean ducts/replace filters/etc...

>> No.190744

shameful self bump

>> No.190759

1) Hammer, wrench, power drill with a set of drill bits and screw head bits. Some kind of saw. Flashlight, maybe. Powered stuff is a _little_ more expensive and a _lot_ more useful, btw.

2) Google "how to fix a X" and you should be good. There's plenty of online guides. Home Depot (or Home and Garden, or whatever your local big-name hardware store is) has a series of books on basic home wiring, plumbing, carpentry, etc. Books are kinda handy when you're elbows-deep in repairs and not near a computer.

3) /shrug

IANAhomeowner, just grew up in the country and dick around with carpentry occasionally.

>> No.190763

>buy books on everything DIY related
>read books
>???
>PROFIT!

>> No.190764

what that other guy said, plus a decent ratchet set (I'd go atleast $50 if not more), alan wrenches (imperial and metric), wirecutters, pliers, crescent wrench, channel locks, a 'vice grip' wrench and screw drivers of various sizes. oh and get some duct tape.

>> No.190772

>Socket Set
>Wrenches
>Screwdrivers
>Hammer

You can buy cheap brands, but beware they will break on you. Check your local flyers often, big department stores have sales on name-brand tools every so often.

For example, I bought a 30 piece wrench set for $40 regular $140. I bought a large socket set for $60, regular $200. Lifetime warranty on both!

>> No.190774
File: 40 KB, 400x400, 51S5S87p0bL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

And buying yourself one or two of these is a great idea to store small bits, bolts, odds-and-ends.

>> No.190785

A couple of clear/white silicone tubes and gun, they're really handy.

> Also: Duct tape. WD40.