[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 98 KB, 590x480, ahfuckslavshit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
187975 No.187975 [Reply] [Original]

So I was starting at my bruised shoulder in the mirror /diy/ and realized I would really like a shooting vest. But I figure paying for one is probably paying extra for a lot of nothing, and decided to ask you guys.

I figure I can find a nice vest or something from Goodwill to use as a base, modify it with pockets and what not where I need them and go from there.

My question for you guys is this, how do you suggest I go about making the recoil absorption pad? I wouldn't think just stuffing it with a random soft thing would work very well.

>> No.187989

>>absorption pad
a plastic baggie filled with shear thickening fluid should do the job. I'd recommend a polyethylene glycol colloidal silica suspension personally.

>> No.188006

Some cornstarch and water would make a good fluid to absorb shock as well. Also memory foam can absorb a pretty good hit also

>> No.188008

>>187989
>>188006
I totally forgot about that kind of stuff, good idea.

>> No.188040

Have you tried putting a recoil pad onto your gun? They make slip on ones. Also, what gun do you have? Many have aftermarket buttplates as well with rubber padding.

>> No.188046

>>188040
Well that's the thing, one of my guns has a nice rubber one but none of the others do. Combine that with the fact that I'm shooting a lot of other people's guns and it seems easier to pad myself then the gun.

Also a vest would be nice to carry ammunition in along with other things, like maybe some kind of loop to hang my hearing protection on when not shooting.

>> No.189268
File: 618 KB, 450x243, 1333158591180.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

LOL slavs do make the WORST shit and they are the WORST guards and they eat the WORST food.....

>> No.189274

Uh.. Stuffing it with a random soft thing worked well for me actually. I just double folded a teatowel, slipped it into a pocket over my shoulder and that was it...

>> No.189331

In the SCA we use closed-cell foam to prevent our sticks from breaking joints and bones and shit. $10, 1/2" thick sleeping pad at your local walmart will do it, but if you spend $40 on the rubbery 3/4" yoga mats it's a lot better for cushioning. You can cut it with a pair of scissors and glue it with rubber cement or tape it together with duct tape, nice and simple.

Not quite as cool as cornstarch, but it'll keep its shape better. Whatever you make, take notes and post the finished project!