[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 1.73 MB, 4032x3024, AF82CB34-B07C-4E36-88D9-397776AEA3E4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1857634 No.1857634 [Reply] [Original]

I bought a new house and installed a WiFi thermostat. Well, the HVAC manly man did. The old thermostat only had four wires and I guess he did something funny to make this new one work.

Now it’s summer and it’s hot and the a/c doesn’t work. Is it the wiring or is it something else like the outdoor condenser? If it’s the wiring how do I switch it around to make the a/c work?

Asking for the foster cats they don’t like the fireworks and I want to close the windows.

>> No.1857635

>>1857634
Make sure you understand how to use the thermostat, they are wonky

>> No.1857649

>>1857634
If your pic is the actual thermostat then it's not wired for cooling. Temporarily you could move some wiring to take away heat and get cooling. Otherwise you can probably jump Y and G together at the furnace terminal block and move the green from G to Y and everything should work you just won't have the ability to energize the fan independently of heat/cool. Most wifi stats outline how to do that in the install manual for 4 wire operation.

>> No.1857655

>>1857634
You dont have ac. Turn on the fan setting

>> No.1858334

>>1857649
>If your pic is the actual thermostat then it's not wired for cooling.
I wonder if OP actually has AC. If he does, this may need more wires.

I was watching an Ask This Old House episode where Rich (the AC/plumbing guy) replaced a two wire t'stat with a digital thermostat that used the two wires for power and signal and had a box down by the HVAC system that converted the digital signals back to every possible terminal configuration. All controlled by software. No extra wires had to be run.

OP's original HVAC guy probably just tried to get as much working with four wires as he could.

>> No.1858350

Hello all thank you for the responses. I do have a/c. There’s a big box with a fan in it outside and I used the a/c last year. I do have a four wire thermostat and I need another one. That’s why the HVAC guy used the jump for the “C” wire. I think I’m going to try doing the jump between Y and G.

>> No.1858868

>>1858350
This says your blue C wire might not actually be a C wire but the Y wire.
So the pantload that did your thermostat took the power to the AC board to power the thermostat instead of using an adapter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyO2yLpu3jE

>> No.1858877

>>1858868
Forgot to add this guy's vid too. He seems to know whats up too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thev6XEoAmg&t=185s

>> No.1858884

>>1858877
Ah, just found Honewell had a video where they do the same as this guy and jump the like you planned to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT4vbK1K1wo

>> No.1858985

>>1858350
Why did the a/c work last year but it doesn't work now?
Y is a/c G is fan and you need them both.
Somewhere those wires terminate at another PCB where they should also correspond with Y and G.
That C is not cooling, it is common, this should be provided on the R line. Usually you don't need that unless you have some fancy smart tstat
Are you sure what you have is an a/c condenser outside and not a heat pump? Many units look similar.
Four wire a/c generally is as such
>R (jumped to RC) goes to R on the PCB.
>Y to Y
>G to G
>W to W
It should just werk when the thermostat calls for cooling

>> No.1858986

>>1858985
>common, this should be provided on the R line
clarifying.
24v should be supplied already by your R, not saying to move the blue wire to R.

>> No.1858988

Hypothetically
If you moved the red wire into Y and jumped it to R (and also moved red to Y wherever the other end terminates) you ought to get cooling
It might be cooling when the thermostat is set to heat but it's cooling nevertheless
It looks like your man set this up for heat only, so hijack the heat stuff to do cooling instead

>> No.1859026

>>1857634
Put batteries in your stat. Take your blue wire and move to y at the stat and at the y in the furnace. Make sure the 2 wire coming from the condenser outside is across the Y and C on the furnace.

Youre welcome.

>> No.1859084

Move the green wire over to the y1 spot. You will not have the option of running the fan but you should have ac.