[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 2.63 MB, 2560x1898, molla_asse_elettrosega.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1857313 No.1857313 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /diy/,
I am trying to repair my electric chainsaw and I am having some trouble reaching the broken part.
The broken part is that sort of spring in the pic right under the bearing, it's broken. To be honest I've found very little information about that online, I guess it's some sort of protection along the transmission shaft, some kind of shock absorber or something.
I've found a pair of sites that seem to sell a matching part like eg
https://www.workingmotors.it/macchine-da-giardino-e-ricambi/motoseghe/molla-albero-trasmissione-per-elettrosega-ama-1800-w.html

but my main concern is first removing the broken one, and I'm not sure how to tackle it. I can't remove the bearing with the bearing puller because it can't grab under it since the spring is occupying that space. Right now I'm thinking of trying to cut the broken spring with a dremel then removing the bearing or cutting the bearing and replacing that one too. I'd like to save the bearing if possible but I'm not sure it's possible.
Has anyone any ideas on how it's supposed to be done?
Ah, the model of the chainsaw is McCulloch Powermac plus 1800

>> No.1857316

Oh nice. I just did this exact repair. I guess It's a weak point in the design. I thought it was a tough repair but turns out it was cake.

>> No.1857317

Cut some of the spring away and then use your bearing puller.

>> No.1857327

>>1857316
>>1857317
Oh wow, unexpected. I'll try to cut it with the dremel then, thanks for the tip!

>> No.1857347

>>1857313
>The broken part is that sort of spring in the pic
That's called a slip clutch. It's designed to avoid the drive chewing up the mechanism when the chain gets wedged in whatever you're cutting. Bear in mind every time you stall the chain a small amount of wear is happening to that spring, leading up to its eventual fail. The trick is to use the chainsaw effectively, not aggressively.

>> No.1857518
File: 16 KB, 355x355, clutch.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1857347
Oh I see. Thinking about it, I was cutting some small random stuff that would easily bind the chain so that checks out. I'll make sure to be more mindful next time I'll use it (if and when I fix it ofc)

It sure is a different design from the usual centrifugal clutch I'm used to see on gas chainsaws