[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 19 KB, 500x461, IF-100439M.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
180301 No.180301 [Reply] [Original]

Hi /diy/

fa/tg/uy here, does anyone have a picture on how to make bracers? I want a plan I can just print out, place over the leather and cut it out without having to make the measurements myself because Im horrid at making plans like that from scratch.

Im asking because I just got a hold of quite a bit of leather and decided to shine up on my larp costumes. I have leatherworking experience and have the tools needed but I cant find the base drawing for bracers on google for some reason.

Pic related, its roughly like the bracers I want to make.

>> No.180302

>>180301
Also, its not just a rectangular piece of leather unfortunately - were it so simple I would have made it myself. The plan I am looking for is a standard base shape of bracers but for some reason it keeps eluding me on google. The base shape has a pretty characteristic courve on the wider part (the part up towards the elbow) and gets slightly more narrow the closer you come to the wrist.

>> No.180310

I've been thinking of making some leather armor myself
so I bump this for justice
for any good info on making leather armor

>> No.180312
File: 298 KB, 1356x833, 1330966131606.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVM-dCKhaL4

Pic are ones some guy on this board made, video is how-to.

>> No.180315

Probably far from the answer you're looking for, but since I don't actually have what you're asking I'm going to make an alternate suggestion. Take an old rag/torn shirt/cheap discount fabric from the store/etc., lay it over your wrist, trim to a managable size, tape in place, trace the exact design you're looking for with a marker, remove, cut, pattern.

>> No.180317

>>180315
This.

>> No.180318

>>180315
Yeah I tried that but it looks absolutely horrible unfortunately. I really want that arc in the elbow-end of the bracers but it is really hard to make look good in free hand.

>>180312
Thanks but what I really want is a picture I can print, cut and use as a pattern.

>> No.180322

>>180301
>fa/tg/uy here

fatguys dont wear armor - they stand in the back and drink beer, sing, or minister to others..

>> No.180323

>>180318
In the video there's stencils for the metal ones, I'm sure you could adapt it for metal. Sorry if it doesn't help.

>> No.180325

>>180323
adapt it for leather*

>> No.180342

This guy is lazy and doesn't actually want to /diy/, he just wants everyone else to go find him a pattern. He's even said it.

>> No.180364

>>180301

take a look at >>180031

the maille-making thread.

there's a vanbrace pattern there, that's appropriate for leather with steel splints. if you adapt it, you could do straps instead of lacing.

>> No.180372

>I want a plan I can just print out, place over the leather and cut it out without having to make the measurements myself because Im horrid at making plans like that from scratch.

it'll never fit.
are you fat? thin? short arms? long arms? skinny wrists? thick wrists? strong biceps?

all of those will force adjustments to a pattern, as shown in >>180031

you have to tweak the pattern in card to ensure it'll actually sit on your arm, and not slide around, pinch your inner elbow, hit the back of your wrist, or any of a dozen other issues.

>> No.180392

>>180312
Holy dicks, i now know what ill do with some spare fenders i have.
At work so cant watch but is any welding required?

>> No.180401

>>180372
OP here, had to go for a while. I love you. Thats excatly what I need.

And yes I do want to diy but I dont want to reinvent the wheel here. It has been made countless times so there is no more reason for me to re-do the drawing from scratch than there is for people to invent the nail again every time they want to hang up a picture.

>>180364
Yeah I know they wont fit as-is but they are much easier to ajust when you can trim off the sides while maintaining the shape as opposed to make the shape from scratch again.

I have made leather stuff many times before but I usually start with a pattern and then trim off the edges or add to them. It just makes everything so much easier. Nice looking stuff like straps and details can always be applied after you have the base shape when it comes to stuff like bracers unless you want really fancy stuff.

>> No.180423

>>180301
holy crap... I googled 'bracer pattern' and BAM patterns everywhere.

>> No.180428

>>180423
OP here oh god I feel like an idiot. I googled "how to make bracers" and "bracer guide" and the likes and all that showed up was shitty wow grinding tutorials and shops trying to sell ready made bracers.

Appologies /dyi/, my google-fu is weak. Thanks for the great help though.