[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 353 KB, 976x1300, covid19-ventilator 01.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1791396 No.1791396 [Reply] [Original]

So I hear the US has less than 200k ventilators. in the case that you are in a rural area and cannot access a ventilator in the eventual event that manufacture cannot keep up with the sick. Do y'all have ideas for it to work? Schematics?
Suppose I have access to a air compressor and electronic parts and tools. what's the air pressure etc that humans can take?

>> No.1791398

>>1791396
Have you looked at the other 5 threads on this? I like the MIT one, but you still need a source of oxygen.

>> No.1791407

>>1791398
no sir. i'm new to town

>> No.1791417

>>1791396
The MIT route is probably the best in the short term since it uses readily avaible supplies, ie small motors and ambu-bags. True ventilators are precision machines able to tune and read inspiratory and expiratory volume as well as pressure and make on the fly adjustments while adding oxygen, heat, and humidity through filter media.

In true emergencies, we'll probably be hand-bagging people.

>> No.1791438

>>1791417
link to post please

>> No.1791440

You could google this and find answers to literally every question you have. Rather than reinventing the wheel, just look at one of the dozens of emergency /diy/ ventilator projects and follow their instructions.

>> No.1791474

>>1791438
>link?
boards.4chan.org/diy/catalog there ya go, bud.

>> No.1791950
File: 2.32 MB, 3264x2448, 20200402_211153.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is something I've been trying to figure out. I've got an idea around using 2-liter bottles, driving a piston to push air, and another bottle for pulling air.

The 2-liter bottle, or any regular soda bottle, will fit a standard garden hose Y-valve if you use 2 washers. Put a check valve on each of the male ends in opposing directions.

Run the input for the input cylinder bottle from the air in the oxygen side of an electrolysis machine (capture hydrogen and use it for something else) that's run by a scrapped PC power supply or something.

Then I was thinking of using a bottle for casting a rubber piston with a water trap for controlling the air pressure we're inducing on the lungs. The little water will provide an open airway if we create too much pressure or suction. Maybe this water could be measured by a laser to indicate to the device that it's reached the limit for inflow/outflow.

I can do the first steps, up to building check valves for inflow and outflow.
I've never done rubber casting before and I don't know what to get or where to find it. I don't know how to get a laser to electrically signal the change in water level.

Now I have some of the Atari and Activision Flashback Blast game devices. They are HDMI dongles that have WIFI and 2 WIFI controllers. It's basically a microcomputer running ROM emulation software. They're on clearance at my local Walmart for $4.88 here. Walmart's online store has 2 of them featured for $5.99 each. If they could be rooted, or even hacked to upload a ROM that's programmed to take the wireless controller input and convert that to machine and monitoring signals, it could be used as a real Plug&Play ICU terminal (just add TV screen and USB power).

So I bought a few of them in hopes of being able to hack them. But I've never done any hacking like this.

>> No.1792438

>>1791396
I saw some threads about making endo tracheal tubes out of dildos. you can still buy dildos easily.
just drill a hole through the dildo, to allow for air flow.