[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 120 KB, 640x640, CoolChange-Bicycle-Rack-Bag-Reflective-Bicycle-Rear-Seat-Luggage-Bag-Cycling-Travel-Bag-Rack-Panniers-Waterproof.jpg_640x640.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1791076 No.1791076 [Reply] [Original]

I want to /diy/ a bag that attaches to a bike rack. I'm willing to modify and even to make a bike rack myself if a special design is needed. The objective is to make a bag that attaches quickly to the rack without wasting any time. So I would be doing both, the rack and the bag so I can design them to work together.

There are multiple bike racks and all kinds of different bags on the market but all of them share one fatal flaw: their attachment systems suck and are usually strap based, This is totally time inefficient and frustrating when you need to put or to take your bag quickly.

My solution to this problem is to produce a bag and rack that are designed around a superior attachment system.

Now, my questions is: what type of attachment system should I use to create this project? I don't know anything about attachment systems.

I have two ideas that may work:
-The bag has magnets on the bottom. The rack has magnets on itself. The attraction force should be sufficient enough to hold the bag in place.
-The bag has a rail on the bottom. The rack has a rail on itself. The user pairs the ends of the rails and slides the bag till it locks in place. (similar to the telescopic rail that drawers have).

>> No.1791108

>The bag has a rail on the bottom. The rack has a rail on itself. The user pairs the ends of the rails and slides the bag till it locks in place. (similar to the telescopic rail that drawers have).
Isn’t that exactly how Topek racks and bags work? A channel the bag slides into, with one spingloaded tab on the end for positive connection?

>> No.1791186

rucksack

>> No.1791189

>>1791076
plastic dovetail strips you just slide it in and it locks in with a little friction

>> No.1791263
File: 160 KB, 670x600, 20200402_102634.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is already a thing; go check out Topeak's quicktrack system.

It's pretty pricey, but there's nothing stopping you from copying their design, tweaking it a bit, and building one yourself.

>> No.1791315

>>1791108
>>1791263
I didn't knew about this brand. Still, they are kind of expensive for what I can see and here where I live they are impossible to get due to taxation and currency exchange. So I'm still going to create them, aiming the price to be affordable on my local market.
But yeah, that's what I was talking about.

>>1791189
Yes, something like that. I was thinking maybe of three points of contact

>> No.1791319

>>1791315
I mean, it's expensive but the quality is top notch.