[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 3.95 MB, 5472x3648, bobby-burch-7ghPaPLdmTY-unsplash.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1768938 No.1768938 [Reply] [Original]

Does anyone have any experience with renting large workshop spaces?

I'm looking to build a boat, a 38' catamaran. It's built in a bunch of pieces and can be assembled in the boat yard at the time of launch, which is nice, but I still need a work area that's something like 50' x 25', plus a bit space for tools and storing materials.

It's easy to find industrial properties that are big enough but they are prohibitively expensive. I would be pretty much doubling the cost of this build if I were to rent an enclosed industrial space.

So I'm not sure where to go from here. Where do I find large workable spaces that aren't priced to suit a business? I would be okay-ish with working outside if I was allowed to erect some kind of temporary-ish shelter to keep the sun and elements off. It's likely going to be a 3 year project though so I doubt anyone is going to offer up a huge slice of their backyard to do this in (since I live in suburbia).

>> No.1769084

are you looking to build a wharram by chance?

>> No.1769101

Have you tried asking the harbourmaster of the marina you intend to berth at?

>> No.1769226

build it on your own land.
don't have any?
might as well buy a finished boat.

>> No.1769426

>>1769084
Yes. A tiki 38. Seems a good mix of size and build time. I can do it in about 3 years if I work hard at it. The main appeal is really about the transportability before launch. Trying to build a solid cat and then move it to the water would be an easy ten thousand dollars in trucking and road blocking fees.

>>1769101
I haven't chosen a marina. I live close (close enough) to at least 5 marinas with travel lifts that could handle the boat. Ideally I'd like to build somewhere close to at least one of them to keep final transport costs as low as possible. It's a good idea though, I'll go and shake some hands and see if anyone has any suggestions.

>>1769226
Fair jab. If I were to rent an industrial property then the total build cost would be about the same as buying one, except a lot more work.