[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 5 KB, 400x400, white-delta-shower-bases-pans-40074-64_400_compressed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1768914 No.1768914 [Reply] [Original]

Trying to decide between custom shower pan and pre fab shower plan. The surround is going to be tile no matter what.

Thoughs
Prefab seems cleaner and nicer looking because a shower base is similar to a basin (sink or toilet bowl) so it seems fitting to have something that is one piece and completely permeable and one color. Like you wouldnt tile the inside of a porcelain sink or toilet bowl.

Also i like the standardization of the prefab so that it can be adjusted (i will be moving the drain line for either)

Although mortar basin seems to be more "homey" or "upscale" but im not so sure it looks better and im not sure if there is any functionality benefit to it.

>> No.1769132

>>1768914
I did prefab in my house for ease and cleanliness.. I will say that mildew is a pain in the ass to remove. The pvc gets discolored and most of it can be removed with scrubbing etc but it's not easy. It's not like an enamel tub. So be warned. If I was you, do the tile/mortar

>> No.1769136

Go all out, go for the wedi system.

>> No.1770882

>>1768914
A properly done custom pan will last as long as the house.
Prefabs, not so much.

>> No.1771373

just thoughts from an old plumber OP, the prefab unit may last longer than the mortar solution though will show "age" quicker becoming harder to keep in clean condition. the mortar solution is more flexible as the ceramic tile can be changed if you choose without wrecking the full base and pan liner.. suggest the mortar/ceramic solution from here OP.. good luck..

>> No.1771395

Why not get a preslope pan

https://laticrete.com/en/shower-installation-systems/pre-formed-shower-systems

>> No.1771429

>>1768914
I did mortar because it was the only option for my space. It turned out well and was very simple to do. I went with kerdi over it which is fucking expensive but I have no worries about it lasting as long as my house stands.

>> No.1771460

>>1771373
>>1770882
>>1769132
Thanks guys, removed the shower and old pan and going with a mortar and tile pan.

>> No.1771675

>>1771460
Use kerdi system, don't fuck around with the traditional mud mortar set up it takes too long and its complicated. A kerdi 30x60 shower kit will be a lot faster, a little more expensive but it's well worth it.

>> No.1771901

Go with prefab. If it cracks you'll see it. If you make one yourself it will eventually fail without you knowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_skYsjFBnPM

>> No.1771905

>>1771901
Watching all these videos of failed showers would make me want to buy a tub instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ma1fxjUfo

>> No.1771936

I'm using durock and redguard to patch up some water damage that extends about 12" or so from the bottom of the shower basin. Do I need to put anything behind the durock? There are furring strips that the durock will attach to. Besides applying the fiber mesh around the joints then applying the redguard, is there anything else I need to consider or add before putting on the tile adhesive?

>> No.1771938

>>1770882
>A properly done custom pan will last as long as the house.
key phrase here is "properly done"
90% of shower pans aren't done proper and leak in a year, often with catastrophic results.