[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 65 KB, 800x533, 599692a0-28a0-11ea-be7b-86f2c254156f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1768549 No.1768549 [Reply] [Original]

So /diy/. I'm graduating college in few months now, and I'm looking to get myself a house. Because my budget has limitations, I'll most likely try to find myself a 'fixer-upper'of some sorts.
But i'll need some actual good recources to prepare myself for the buying and renovating said future house.
I can probably fo to the library next door to borrow some books on the subject, but I was sondering if there were any good stuff in video format
I know youtube is full of reno-shit but I'm pretty wary of entering that world because I don't want to learn shitty disciplines to make learning proper ones harder.
Any recommendations bros? I know you actually learn this stuff by doing but I like to read books and gather info beforehand.

>> No.1768554

Buy the house. Figure out what needs to be done. Google that specific task.

Something tells me you're not ready to fix up a house.

>> No.1768557

I learned it from friends in the trade. Electricians, carpenters, plumbers, bricklayer and roofer. They always need help renovating their homes and I was happy to help out and they where helping me out. Learning this stuff without input from expericend people seem hard. I would look into schoolbooks of the different trades. I went to a technical highschool where they had classes for draftsman and they learned about static and how walls, roofs, foundations and basements are properly constructed with all norms and codes. They had lots of good books ecplayning that shit to young adults. So its easy to digest literature I guess, as easy as that can be at least.

>> No.1768592

>>1768554
simple as

>> No.1768655

Most flippers will just cover up the problems. So there will be more there than even an inspector might catch. These problems will show up over time or when you dig down to them.

A lot of trades take practice. Simply knowing what to do will only get you started. If you're not going to moonlight some construction to get the tools and skills under your belt, then hire someone to assist you with your own repairs.

If you do something wrong, it generally requires tearing the work back down and doing it again. This costs time and materials, but mainly it's the moral cost that I find to be the biggest detriment. If a crew doesn't work smart, they will do this often. Homeowners and diy'ers will be even more guilty of this because of less experience and this is part of the process tv shows will skirt around.

>> No.1768819

>>1768549
>I'm graduating college in few months now, and I'm looking to get myself a house.
haha um what

>> No.1768823

Youtube
Benjamin Sahlstrom (electrical)
Odell Complete Concrete (concrete)
Got2Learn (plumbing)
Larry Haun (framing)
THISisCarpentry (framing, fine, etc)
MattBangswood (framing)

Renovation by Tauton Press

>> No.1769070

>>1768819
You can get a damn good deal on a first apartment/house loan here. You save up to 10% deposit and then you can get state-backed loan with great terms.
>>1768823
Seems like a good list. Thanks, fren.
>>1768655
Yeah I don't want to get suckered in to buying a house with a skin-deep reno job and bunch of structural problems. That's why I want to get educated so I don't get screwed over money that's not even technically mine.

>> No.1769221

>>1769070
It's not just structure. In fact I think many framing errors are visible in the end product (walls and such out of plumb, rooms out of square, things that should be symmetrical or in line aren't, poor rafter kicking, squeaky floors, etc).

For example I live in a rental where basically everything needs attention. There may be 16 fuses on the panel, but the entire house only runs off of two. So if you kick on a microwave and the furnace starts then it will likely trip. Plumbing additions or modifications might not drain well. A tree hit one of the sewer lines and that had to be diverted. I can't count high enough to determine how many new layers of shingles are on top of each other. The plaster and lathe was cracking so they did a drop ceiling office style that's now failing. The siding and gutters need attention so course the basement gets tons of water.

Even new houses can be missing drip edges on windows and gutters. There's no telling how well they Tyveked, so hopefully they used zipboard. Builders that punch out several cookie cutter homes will have a system of cutting corners. Anytime there's a corner cut, it's a possibility it will become an issue the homeowner will have to address with time.

If you're not going to venture at least part time into a trade, maybe take an inspector course. I also don't think you're going to learn shitty disciplines if you take the time to follow the directions of the products you install. Most tradies I work with won't read the install instructions.

>> No.1769689

>>1768549
I'm a Realtor. I'll give you the best advice on buying a home you'll ever get. Get one off the market without a Realtor. Send "looking for a home" cards to the area where you want to buy and save yourself the commission. In reality the buyer is mortgaging that 6% standard Realtor commission.

>> No.1770794
File: 1.88 MB, 4032x1960, 20200211_142555.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Remember to do shit right or you end up with wonky stuff

>> No.1770797
File: 1.82 MB, 4032x1960, 20200211_142605.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1770794
All depends on the quality your looking for