[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 435 KB, 1632x920, 345634564.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1743971 No.1743971 [Reply] [Original]

Last thread
>>1735451

>> No.1744008
File: 295 KB, 728x1296, singlegryedove.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1744102

>>1743971
What am I looking at?

>> No.1744134
File: 441 KB, 800x1066, 1577970114043.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

(The stairs are metal)

>> No.1744151

>>1744102
Probably the sinking roof.

>> No.1744152

Don't have an image atm, but here's one.

>Retards at the shop order switchgears for a major renovation
>They order the rear-install version almost six months too early
>Of course, the GC changes the plans
>We had to send some scrawny apprentice a month into his apprenticeship on top of the fucking thing to climb down inside it and spend six hours installing it
>Looks like dogshit and isn't properly secured because we can't access the rear anchor holes even doing that
>GC doesn't care, won't pay us the labor hours to do it properly

>> No.1744177
File: 66 KB, 720x815, FB_IMG_1564856007294.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1744008
C O M F Y

O

M

F

Y

>> No.1744193
File: 433 KB, 1616x911, 1577933101848.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1744102
the units are to close and the are gonna blow into each other

>> No.1744194

>>1744134
what is that is it a power supply?

>> No.1744198

>>1744194
It is a power supply, probably around 200W.

>> No.1744248

>>1744193
It will be fine, faggot.
>t. hvacr fag

>> No.1744263

>>1744177
This meme killed me!

>> No.1744954 [DELETED] 

>>1744248
actually it wasn't and they had to be moved but they were in a small area also

>> No.1744960
File: 9 KB, 234x263, genuis_duct.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1744954

>> No.1745076

>>1744193
Who the fuck cares about that when they are going to make that roof leak like a sieve if they don't already? lol

>> No.1745115

>>1745076
can i get a explanation on the roof problems?

>> No.1745118
File: 677 KB, 1632x920, 4563456.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1745204

>>1744152
you absolutely suck at this. kys

>> No.1745207

Finally, I have something to contribute

>> No.1745208
File: 144 KB, 576x1024, threema-20191231-160833-a5b7d202eac229df.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1745244

>>1744193
>the units are to close and the are gonna blow into each other
>makes shitty arrows to show airflow because the hot air coming off the condenser will bend sideways instead of going up since well, HEAT RISES

you shouldnt have dropped out of school. shutup dumbass

>> No.1745369

>>1744134
Honestly I see no problem. If stairs are grounded then besides looking a bit ugly why the fuck not?

>> No.1745372

>>1745115
probably because it looks like a patched up nightmare, and or is pretty woobly, they are gonna get puddles

>> No.1745375

>>1745118
>>1745208
t. first time visiting production floor

>> No.1745411

>>1743971
the real problem is they dont face the samw way. when both coolers are busted, its gonna be annoying going round and round

>> No.1745585
File: 3.87 MB, 2400x3200, IMG_20180818_003556.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1745118

>> No.1745657
File: 86 KB, 1200x630, trane-share.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

We have a 5 ton York on our house, and I'm pretty sure it is broken. The problem is every time someone goes up there, they something different.

5 years ago: Hire AC guy to inspect before we buy house, he says "the oil in the compressor is going acidic.. This is because you have a 5 ton unit, and your ducts are set up for 4 ton".

3 years ago: Water is pooling under rooftop unit, hire guy to put in pvs pipe to reroute. Ask him about AC - he says it's working great.

2 years ago: Get AC guy for "maintenance" ( I didnt realize you are supposed to get it checked yearly ). He says I need 2 lbs of freon, a run cap, and a hard start kit.

2 years ago: Get second opinion. They say my freon is fine, don't need cap or hard start kit. But that the fact that my lights dim a bit on start up means my compressor is going. so hard start kit might be good idea.

1 year ago: I have them do maintenance and put in hard start kit.

1 week ago: Heater goes out. Same AC guy from last two years comes. Says we need 4 lbs freon. 1 day later heat pump is broken again. Assuming all freon is gone.

It seems everytime someone goes up, they come back with completely different info. How can one guy say I need 2 lbs, the next guy says I don't? How come the AC inspector talks about it being driven too hard because its a 5 ton on a 4 ton duct system - but when I mention this to every single other AC person, they say they don't know what he was talking about.

If I need a new system , fine - but I feel like everyone is just full of shit, and not sure who to trust. Any suggestions on how to deal with this crap?

Do I need to learn how to fucking check my own Freon levels?

>> No.1745673

>>1744134

is that a condensation drain line next to that power supply? on the metal stairs?

>> No.1745674

>>1744152
>Retards at the shop order switchgears for a major renovation

What are those switchgears rated at in volts? Amps?

>> No.1745676

>>1745585
h...how do you find a short in that rat's nest?

>> No.1745680

>>1745657
>How can one guy say I need 2 lbs, the next guy says I don't?
some guys run actual tests to see what your freon level is and if it's right. Other guys put their hand on the lineset and say "yup it's beer can cold, ur good". One means basically nothing, the other is correct.
>How come the AC inspector talks about it being driven too hard because its a 5 ton on a 4 ton duct system - but when I mention this to every single other AC person, they say they don't know what he was talking about.
if home inspectors knew anything technical to a high degree, they wouldn't be a home inspector. Much like the difference between a legit carpenter and the guy who sells lumber at a hardware store. If the fuck wit at the store really knew his shit, he wouldn't be at that store, he'd be a carpenter actually building shit and getting paid 2x-4x what the store pays.

Easiest way to know who is right and who is a hack, follow them on the inspection. Ask questions. Have them show you how they found out what they found out. If they can't explain it to you, either they don't know what they are doing or are trying to scam you can't think of a lie that sells what they want to sell while not sounding like bullshit. Also google to double check what they say.
AC's leaking freon is common. Lots of outfits just want to get shit done. Most do a really quick line pressure test, some don't even use micron readers, others may do everything right, but when it comes to release the charge post vacuum, they don't see if the vacuum holds. They just get it down low and release.

>> No.1745682

>>1745657
80% of residential HVAC service guys are crooks, incompetent, or both. Most homeowners are not familiar enough with electrical or refrigeration to call them on their shit so they get away with murder. Your best bet is probably to find a company that does residential and light commercial as their guys are typically better paid and trained than small shops.

>t. Commercial/Industrial service tech

>> No.1745728

>>1745585
That ain't shit

>> No.1745742

>>1744134
Looks like something out of a backend basspro display.

Like if they were monitoring fish in a tank under that

>> No.1745743

>>1745682
Fucking truth!
Fortunately my weed supplier is also an excellent commercial HVAC tech (making fat bank) and while I can do any automobile/truck work I get with him as required. He guided my heat pump troubleshooting, I confirmed the grounded compressor, and when I replace the heat pump I'll remove the old one and hand him a clear, clean area to do the install.

>> No.1745933

>>1745657
post the model tag of your unit. Do you have a Volt meter with an amp probe a set of guages you could barrow from someone and a temp probe you could strap to the line?

>> No.1746461

>>1745208
That server room isn't that bad. I seen worse.

>> No.1746485

>>1745244
I'm not an HVAC guy, but won't the intake create a low pressure zone? And couldn't the pressure delta overcome the thermal buoyancy?

>> No.1746490

>>1745657
It's a rooftop unit, so package unit on the roof? If it were me, I'd pump system to 400psi with nitrogen, use leak detector. Fix as necessary, fill to factory specifications. Leave it alone. Clean it in the spring and keep filters changed. Check amp draws and mfd readings. Package unit very seldom have refrigerant leaks, you lose refrigerant when connecting gauges. I have 6 ft hoses, so 3.6oz per hose. It adds up

>> No.1746537

>>1746485
Get a load of this retatd

>> No.1746578
File: 250 KB, 800x1066, 1577970143015.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1744134
adjusted to proper orientation

>> No.1746590
File: 526 KB, 2448x3264, IMG_7021.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1746490
Thanks I'll look into what I need to do that. i'm in phx, so I don't really need it working for a few months.

>>1745682
Ok. I'll look into that. Should I call commercial places, and ask if they do residential?

>if home inspectors knew anything technical to a high degree
I should have clarified this part - my real estate agent brought in a separate HVAC guy to look at it. He said he doesn't trust home inspectors. But in general is that state true - that having a 5 ton unit on a 4 ton ductwork is going to run down the unit faster? What does that mean "the oil is acidic"... are these legitimate concerns in general?

>Have them show you how they found out what they found out.

I will start doing this with the hvac stuff. I do it with everything else ( water heater, electrical, etc ) .

>>1745933
I have a good multimeter, although I haven't used the amp probe before ( Fluke 87 ). Not sure about the gauges - what specifically would I want to borrow? ( nitrogen regulator gauges? )

York B1HH060A06B

<--- This is from the tech in 2017. When I called another place for a second opinion, they said we didn't need freon. So assuming I pressurize system, spray soap nd water, and find a leak in the compressor - I've been told putting in a new compressor is just as expensive as getting a whole new unit. IS that accurate? Seems like a new compressor is $1500 + labor. A whole new unit is like $4500 + labor.

>> No.1746618

>>1745657
I have literally never had anything done to my AC condenser in the 18+ years I've had it - yearly checkups are a SCAM!

Just hose the dirt out of the fins every season and you're golden.

>> No.1746681

>>1744193
uuhh , it appears that one of them is a compressor housing AND the other one is the radiator , this is common in remote or roof top refrigeration applications, it also appears that are the same sled , so it would be a single unit.

but with some of the shit that is posted on here , who really knows what is going on.

>> No.1746714

>>1746681
>but with some of the shit that is posted on here , who really knows what is going on.

That was the only part of your post that was even close to correct

>> No.1746719

>>1745375
t. shitty paid job with no interest in it.
If you really like your job or are getting well paid, you wouldn't make this kind of mess

>> No.1746821

>>1745657
>but I feel like everyone is just full of shit, and not sure who to trust
Trust no-one, Anon.

>> No.1746934

>>1746590
>Should I call commercial places, and ask if they do residential?
Most commercial places don't do resi because you HAVE to guage your customers to make any real return on the service costs. Honestly, the only way to get reliable resi serve is to have a buddy that knows shit to look at it. Most anyone else will rip your wallet in half.

>that having a 5 ton unit on a 4 ton ductwork is going to run down the unit faster
Negligible amounts.

>What does that mean "the oil is acidic"...
Refrigerant is parts oil and refrigerant. It gets acidic when contaminated. It can take out a compressor, burning it out and shit.

>are these legitimate concerns in general?
Yes but unlikely. They were enough to make you call them in again.

>what specifically would I want to borrow
A manifold gauge set, with low-loss hoses. You want LOW-LOSS on the red side hose or you're gonna get bit.

Are you trying to find the leak yourself? You can't pressure it with more R22 (no parts house will it sell it unlicensed) and you don't have a recovery machine to get the refrigerant out. Is your system flat? What EXACTLY is your AC's problem?

>>1746618
Congratulations, cleaning the fins is like the easiest and first step to keeping your system alive. Thats literally all a homeowner has to do to keep it running.

>> No.1747027

>>1746681
Uhm... dummy. The rooftop condenser is one unit. The compressor and the coils are on the same unit. This is clearly 2 seperate condensers. Also there is no fucking radiator. More proof you are a retatd

>> No.1747028

>>1746934
Thanks, good info. I'll ask around with some of the construction guys I know.

>Refrigerant is parts oil and refrigerant. It gets acidic when contaminated. It can take out a compressor, burning it out and shit.
ok, he made it seem like it was a result of the duct mismatch, like it was a symptom of the compressor working too hard.

>Are you trying to find the leak yourself? You can't pressure it with more R22 (no parts house will it sell it unlicensed) and you don't have a recovery machine to get the refrigerant out. Is your system flat? What EXACTLY is your AC's problem?

The Heat Pump on the roof is not heating. I know that it is "less effective" when we have low temps outside - but it was 40 outside, and the house was stuck at 69 degrees, which is what it stays at when we turn it off. It did not appear to be heating any air.

The tech said we were down 4 lbs freon. After adding the freon, the air heated up nicely for about 12 hours, then stopped completely. I incorrectly assumed it only HAD 4 lbs in the first place, and that it now had completely vented. So I thought I could use nitrogen or something to pressure it up and look for leaks. However, now I understand it can hold like 15 lbs of freon.

So the AC guy is coming back to morrow to see what the problem is. He suggested that the compressor might have finally gone. So short term my only goal is to be up there on the roof when he is working, and try to understand the problem.

Longer term, I would like to be able to check pressure, or any other "Basics" so I can keep tabs on how it is working. My assumption is that I will need to purchase a new unit, which 1)(uses new gas, at double the pressure, so I'll have to get our duct work redone 2) Will "cut my electric bill in half" or something. Which, if true, would make a difference in the summer - where $400 electric bills are the norm.

>> No.1747097

>>1744008
I once found smashed eggs under my hood in my old car. They looked dry so I guessed it wasn't birds nesting. Shrugged it off.
Two weeks later i turned my car on in the morning and heard what sounded like a screech and it made some noise. Pop the hood and most of the engine is covered in blood and giblets. Turns out a weasel was squatting in my car occasionally (it was winter) and the little cunt got scared and jumped straight into the radiator fan belt assembly and the fan itself and was smoothied pretty bad. Luckily Ford made good shit at the time so the damage was minimal (had to replace the belt and clean the weaselcolada of everything). Later put up some mesh under the engine so the wilderness can't crawl in again.

>> No.1747098

>>1745676
It glows red or/and is smoking.
How else do you find a short? :^)

>> No.1747172

>>1747028
> He suggested that the compressor might have finally gone
If he is going to check the compressor, he will be checking the ohms of each pin to each other, and then ground.
If its single phase, the two lowest numbers should equal the bigger number. A little deviation is alright. 0, ∞, or a wack number means you're fucked.
When he checks to ground, you want ∞. Any resistance means you're fucked.
Work backwards from that, check the caps, the contactor, the control board...

Things you can do yourself:
UNIT OFF
1. Wash the condenser fins. They will get dirty and dusty and increase efficiency.
2. Check the blower motor belt. Open the blower motor compartment and put your hand on the belt. It should be tight with little slack. Check for rips or tears on it.
3. Look at the electronics. See if anything looks black, burnt, oozing, out of place. Check the CAPACITORS for un-popped lids.
4. Your evapoator has a condensation drain. Blow it out with a hose (don't shoot INTO the unit).
5. Replace the air filters. Depending on how dirty they are, change them ever 3/4/6 months. Don't buy them at Home Depot, its a ripoff.

UNIT ON
1. Make sure the motors are both on and spinning in the right direction. Heat (in cooling mode) should be exiting the top of the unit.
2. Stick a temp probe where both the air COMES UP to the unit and where it goes back down into the ductwork. The temp difference should be ~20 degrees.
3. If you have an amp clamp for your multimeter, use it on each of the 3 legs going to your compressor. They should be about the same and the tag on the compressor will say their runtime amps.
4. Somewhere in the compressor compartment will be two valves to hook up a manifold gauge. On the MANIFOLD GAUGE, the blue-side hose goes to the LOW SIDE. That will be the fatter tube. That is vapor and won't hurt you. The red-side goes to the high side, which is the smaller copper line. This is high-pressure liquid that will be cold as fuck. USE LOW-LOSS HOSES.

>> No.1747180

>>1747172
>check the ohms of each pin to each other, and then ground.
>When check to ground, you want ∞
>the two lowest numbers should equal the bigger number

If the ground checks are ∞, then what adds up to ∞?

>> No.1747194

>>1747180
That’s two different things. You only want infinity when you check the pin to ground. When you go from pin to pin, the resistance should be a number.

>> No.1747211

>>1747028
You have a refrigerant leak. The only thing I would recommend to a system over 10 years old, is to add a sealant and hope that works. But if it only worked for a few days after adding 4lbs, chances are it’s not going to work. Just stop wasting your time and money and just get quotes to replace the damned thing. And remember; in the HVAC industry, you get what you pay for. Stop having Mexicans & white trash in unmarked white vans show up and charge you $75 to knock on the compressor and have no idea what the fuck they are doing. Pony up or wear the saddle, ya know?

And Don’t bother learning the HVAC trade unless you’re planning on becoming a tech. And if you start shadowing your service tech asking stupid questions, you’re gonna pay for it one way or another.

>> No.1747273

>>1747211
>And if you start shadowing your service tech asking stupid questions, you’re gonna pay for it one way or another.

It's the DIY channel, that is 100% what I'm doing from now on.

>Stop having Mexicans & white trash
I use yelp reviews. Pretty much all the HVAC guys are Mexicans ( which is fine ) or white trash ( which is fine ). My brother is a criminal defense lawyer, and we have a unique last name. The last time I got a major construction quote. 2 of the 5 people asked me about my name.. because my brother had represented them. That's kind of fucked up. I called my bro and he was like "oh that guy, yeah I helped his uncle out. Don't piss him off ok? he gets violant fast"

Tell me where I can get the HVAC people who have their PHDs ok? Because around here, it's pretty blue collar.

>> No.1747292

>>1747211
>replace a whole system for a leak
People like are why resi is a shitshow. You find the leak and fix it. Could be as simple as finding a loose fitting or a bad scrader. If the leak was in the coil, yeah I would replace THE COIL. Nothing less than a fucking catastrophe or a serious upgrade would warrant changing out everything.

The only thing you’re right about is not being on your tech’s ass. I hate that shit.

>> No.1747305

>>1747292
Just got up on the roof, didn't crowd him, asked him some questions, etc. He said he was glad to have me up there, because he'd rather I understand what was going on. I tipped him $20 afterwards.

He said:
-We have a leak - ( glancing at the gauge it looked like 80-90 psi )
-Fixing any leak in the system would be a minimum $1000, simply for replacing the freon, and would go up from there.
-Replacing coil would be $1500+
-None of these would preclude an additional existing leak.
-Compressor is old, and could go even if we fix the leak
-When are you available to talk about getting a replacement unit? With the new blah blah blah you'll save blah blah blah

>> No.1747310

>>1747172
>5. Replace the air filters. Depending on how dirty they are, change them ever 3/4/6 months. Don't buy them at Home Depot, its a ripoff.

Ours are inside via the intake vent. I change them monthly during the summer, and bi monthly during the winter - I use a merv 11 that I order online.

>>1747172
Thanks for these tips - going to read up on the UNIT ON ones to make sure I understand exactly what I'm doing. My unit seems pretty busted, so it's a good time to check it I think. Sounds like all the freon is gonna leak out anyway. Can I sell the remaining freon on CL or someshit, and get a few bucks back?

>>1747305
>>1747292
>>1747211
Tech said they don't make money on service, and that the installs are where they make money. So it seems like if I go with another company, or work some private deal ( like purchase it and get someone else to drag it up to the roof ) I am sort of screwing them over. Sucks that me finding a deal negatively impacts the people who will be working on it ( if they agree to continue ). I'm never sure how to handle this. Part of me is like "fuck it, I'm not paying a massive mark up on this shit" to "gotta keep hard work americans working!"

Kind of curious what ya'lls take on that is.

>> No.1747439 [DELETED] 
File: 83 KB, 384x313, idunkno.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1746681
>one is the radiator
>who really knows what is going on
i one who and thats you dumb ass

>> No.1747441

>>1746681
anon why would you post such a ridiculously dumb post, youre on fucking /diy/ for fuck sakes. if you dont know what youre looking at, you could at least google image it.

>> No.1747473

>>1747305
>>1747310
1000$ USD is ridiculous for ~10lbs of 22. They are trying to sell you a new system.
But honestly, with the 22 phaseout, its going to be inevitable you get a changeout. Drop ins for 22 all have 22 in them, and new HFCs don't work well with the oil from HCFCs. So you're going to have to get new shit some day. Companies will take advantage of this, I'm surprised that wasn't something he mentioned.

>going to read up on the UNIT ON ones to make sure I understand exactly what I'm doing
Be SMART. If it looks dangerous, feels dangerous, DON'T DO IT. When the unit is running, don't actually touch the smaller copper lines or the compressor, they will burn you. When I say "unit off" I mean OFF. Turn the breaker off. Don't fuck around.

>Can I sell the remaining freon on CL or someshit
You would need a recovery machine to extract it and a DOT tank to store it in. But selling HCHFs is blah blah EPA 608 blah blah fines, no one is going to buy your dirty 22.

>and that the installs are where they make money
Correct. Resi is 100% a racket to sell you thousands of dollars in new systems. Why replace a cap when you can get away with a new motor, relay, start kit and compressor? Homeowners don't know shit and resi companies are all scum. If you can find an honest guy, take his fucking number.

>> No.1747672

>>1747473
It's not a racket if they break even on service, and make that up on installs. That's just a risk. The racket is if they are pushing stuff you don't need.

>1000$ USD is ridiculous for ~10lbs of 22

It would be great if we could keep this going for a few more years. So what would you suggest - is there a cheaper way to get the leak plugged? should I just call around and get quotes? How much should I expect to pay for a

1) leak test
2) fix leak
3) replace coil
4) replace compressor
5) 9 lbs r22

Not getting them al done, just curious.

my hobby is buy/sell auction shit. If I come across a good quality used compressor, is it realistic to pay someone to install it?

>You would need a recovery machine to extract it
I wouldn't do any of that, I'd just say I have this unit and see if anyone wants to buy / recover from it. It's that or let the install crew take it and make money off it, right?

>Be SMART.
Yeah, I'll be honest I'm a bit of a cut twice, measure once guy, so I'm not going to fuck around with this more than to get an idea of how things are working, and power will be off the whole fucking time.

I mean, I have about 2 months, and I'll probably have to get a new unit. So what is the best way to do that?

>> No.1747696

>>1745674
Don't recall. Been awhile, but they were servicing three interconnected five-story buildings so probably way up there.

>> No.1747715

>>1747292
It’s NEVER as simple as a loose schraeder. Most leaks are in the Evap coil somewhere, and good luck not mangling a piece of shit 2 ton ALUMINUM A-coil on some 15 year old nigger-tier brand made by Mexicans with recycled chink scrap just to buy 4 months before the next leak pops up.
When you brazenly walk back into the customer’s living room to tell them there’s another leak, and they’re gonna have to spend another $1800.00 to fix it, they’re gonna say “why the fuck didn’t we just replace it?!” and tell you to fuck off.
>>1747672
If your equipment is over 15 years old, leaking refrigerant (R22, no less), looks like shit, replace it with 410a equipment. Get 3 quotes and go with whoever you feel comfortable with. I have no clue what it’s going to cost, because it depends on your area. Up in the NE, 22 goes for around 100.00 a lb. labor is 150.00 - 200.00 an hour. If you even try to find that leak, you’ll be out 500.00 - 700.00 before they tell you there are multiple leaks and you need a new system.

Like I said earlier, there are sealants you can add, but they probably won’t work on a large leak. But you can always try if you want to keep spending a few hundred a clip on freon. Or you can cut your losses and bite the bullet and get it done.

>> No.1747822

>>1747672
Fuck it OP. R22 is out. You should consider getting a R410 system before you get jewed too hard.

I would never install a “used” compressor. That’s signing my name to the warranty instead of tucumseh. I’d never take that risk.

>>1747715
How much effort do you think a leak search takes? Pump some nitrogen and spray the bubbles. You’ll hear the fucking leak. And why sell them 22? Get some 422B.

>> No.1748232
File: 3.89 MB, 4032x2268, 20200109_114754.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Abandoned workshop behind where I work, filled with ancient tools and equipment.

>> No.1748236
File: 3.96 MB, 2523x1892, 20200109_115907.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1748232

>> No.1748238
File: 3.03 MB, 2522x1419, 20200109_120148.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1748236

>> No.1748240
File: 3.75 MB, 4032x2268, 20200109_114901.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1748238
Fuck me I hate mobile posting.

>> No.1748243
File: 3.07 MB, 4032x2268, 20200109_114947.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1748240

>> No.1748259

>>1746590
Things you can do yourself on many AC/ Gas heaters.
replace start and run capacitors
clean the cooling fins
replace the heat exchanger (I've replaced 2)
replace the limit switches and flame roll out switches.
replace fan motors.
Replace heat exchanger induction fan and ducting.

parts are available on line but shop around the heat exchanger in my brothers AC unit got cracks in it and I replaced it. Cost $164 shipped, but some places wanted as much as $560 for it. took me 2.5 hours to install it all by myself.

There are tons of videos on youtube that show how to diagnose AC and Heater problems.

Get the model number off the unit take lots of pictures of everything. Google the model number and pdf for installation and service manuals. The only thing I don't have equipment to work on is the compressor and charging the system. I can even test capacitors up to 450 volts which most techs don't have the ability to do because real capacitor testers that test at a capacitors rated voltage aren't common anymore.

>> No.1748636

>>1745375
>>>1745208
>t. first time visiting production floor
You have no idea what a server room or a network closet is or looks like.

>> No.1748640

>>1748232
>>1748236
>>1748238
>>1748240
>>1748243
>Abandoned workshop
Looks more like an area where someone is storing shit/junk and forgot about it.

>> No.1748651

>>1743971
I should take photos of my work place.
>Safety devices by passed on some machines
>Stand up fans pointing at PLC cabinets with doors open to keep them cool
>Emergency safety shower station right beside forklift battery chargers
>Cables and hoses hanging from the ceiling and off of other stuff not connected to anything
>Parts on machines just nigger rigged
>Power strip connected to outlets that are connected to a plug that is plugged into another outlet or into another power strip and so on
>Network infrastructure is a mess
>Old outside building lights are inside because the building was added on so they left the outside lights on the walls and pretty much cut holes to make a doorway from the old to new building
>Shit is mostly zipped tied, taped, etc because they keep moving machines around to make room for new equipment
>IT leaving shit once they replace stuff (USB cables, power cables, power strips, network cables, VGA cables, etc. Fuck there is a HDMI to VGA converter has been sitting in the same place on a work bench for over 5 months not being used. I think they don't keep inventory on a lot of this stuff.
>Screws being used that are too small to hold inserts in on machine tooling and to hold panels on the machines
>Spare machine parts and electronics sitting in boxes out on the factory floor that are getting wet or more shit stacked on top it

This is just the start. I can go on and on.

>> No.1748671

>>1748636
I'm not sure if you're implying its better or worse.

>> No.1748784
File: 108 KB, 580x435, image.axd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1748671
it could be a lot worse.

>> No.1748797

>>1745208
It is OK.
>>1748784
Nice

>> No.1748799
File: 9 KB, 220x229, pink-wojak.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why do people just paint over wood instead of fucking stain and coat I mean please fucking stop the paint fucks up how it opens and closes and it'll look ugly like it always does it's a nice grain fucking stop it'll look and feel disgusting STOP
ok there ends my schizo post

>> No.1748829
File: 2.31 MB, 4032x2268, 20190823_155111.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1748799
I understand

>> No.1748831

>>1748799
>>1748829
I like when I see houses for sell and the cabinets and trim is all painted and not just painted but THICC panted. Plus some of them paint the hinges, fuckin outlets, and floors.

>> No.1748838
File: 475 KB, 2172x3862, 20200110_094735.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1748831
I bought this house that used to belong to my family and the previous occupants painted over all the nice dark wood that used to be there without even priming it or taping or anything. Then they moved out 3 weeks later. I'm working on peeling it off but I'll probably have to take the door down to sand and stain it outside lying horizontal at some point. Not to mention the trim.

>> No.1748843

>>1748838
That door looks wonderful I would only change the knob to something that fits the dark color

>> No.1748848

>>1748843
Most knobs in the house are brass colored. Not sure why that one isn't. It's the original too.

>> No.1748850
File: 81 KB, 720x541, DIY thermal overload warning light.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I feel like this one is practically required in these threads even if it's probably repost 587.

>> No.1748962
File: 80 KB, 871x811, 1576971101639.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1748850
this one also

>> No.1748968
File: 33 KB, 433x770, 6c3049809e9c761a3689384c63d9727fc-f0xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1748838
I was sad when someone bought my grandma's house after her kids couldn't come to terms on what to do with it besides selling it. Her house was my get away during my childhood. The person thought bought it just updated it to resale it for more money. Each room was redone differently. Living room was done in dark colors and dark wallpaper. The dining room was white and blue colors. Kitchen was modern looking and can't remember the other rooms. Image is the only one I can find. Who ever updated it, they did a shitty job and it looks like shit.

>> No.1748982

>>1748968
What in the actual fuck kinda drugs do you have to be on for that to look good?
>The person thought bought it just updated it to resale it for more money.
I have never understood this, is this a US thing?
Here first thing almost anyone does after buying a house is redoing all the interior the way they want it anyway, so i don't understand the concept of how they would make money on it.

>> No.1749004

>>1748968
>welcome to wallpaper emporium what can i get you?
>I'll take the ugliest wallpaper that you have Thanks

>> No.1749005
File: 943 KB, 1400x1418, SmartSelect_20190929-212911_Chrome.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1748982
>updated it to resale it for more money.
I don't get it either. I feel like realtors/appraisers care about it and that makes buyers/sellers believe that it matters. "Updates" for their own sake can ruin a building very easily. Pic related: grey is in, right? Fuck the classic half-timbered style.

>> No.1749363
File: 1.32 MB, 2048x1529, 9e7bede1b30d9186c.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1749005
I feel like its a trend thing. A trend that is ugly as fuck. Like fuckin shiplap, burn wood, shelves made from lead paint doors, etc. Wish I could fine the rest of the pics for after they "redid" my grandmas house. When I seen it posted for the first time it was on Facebook and I died a little bit on the inside. My current apartment is kinda like that, a trend style. Light grey walls, fake wooden looking floors, light color trim, etc. I think it's not too bad, but meh, greys fuck with me.

In a near by town there was a house for sale that someone did almost all the rooms in barn wood from wall to ceiling. There is an apartment building in my town that is nasty and depressing on the inside. They "updated it" but it was only paint to that only made the rooms more brighter. They are cheap units for scummy ass people, pedos, and druggies pretty much.

Now I just found this image (pic related) and What The Fuck was the person thinking when installing this light.

>> No.1749371

>>1745208
Thats fine.

>> No.1749645

>>1748784
*swaps several plugs at random*

>> No.1749826

>>1749645
generally all ports are listed, and you will get a phone call about something being down which will tell you what port

>> No.1749844

>>1749826
This. It's not even scary to pull one out of that mess. You find it, confirm it's the right one, cut one end off and pull it out by the other.

If it doesn't pull out, cuss the fucking idiot that didnt follow best practices and wrapped it around something because hes a fucking idiot

>> No.1749899
File: 1.30 MB, 1024x768, 1422214176059.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1747822
I assume all the new systems are r410. It sounds like getting a new unit is pretty much what we have to do.

I was looking at the numbers - we currently have a 14 SEER - justing to 16SEER doesn't seem worth the cost. It takes like 10 years to break even. Is there something I'm missing?

>>1747715
>When you brazenly walk back into the customer’s living room to tell them there’s another leak, and they’re gonna have to spend another $1800.00 to fix it, they’re gonna say “why the fuck didn’t we just replace it?!” and tell you to fuck off.

HAha, yeah, basically this.

>> No.1749920

>>1749826
Look at that disaster and tell me they have any labeling anywhere.
>uh it's port 7 on switch asdf947...
>fuck

>> No.1749964

>>1748243
>>1748240
>>1748238
>>1748236
>>1748232
Most of it looks in decent shape from the pics. I'd snag that bandsaw, press, and surface grinder.

>> No.1749976
File: 420 KB, 900x679, sadhug.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1748799
I know, Anon. I know.

>> No.1750022

>>1749920
There absolutely is. Each rack has 8 switches on it. Each switch cost $500-$1500 each when new. Theres that much again times three in man hours for the cabling. So each rack there costs $50,000. Believe me, someone took the time to put a label o. The ground, and wrote down the serial number and position of every slot.

It goes like this 'aisle 4, rack 12, bay 5, port 1.11' it might be abbreviated to 4.12.5.1.11 but the guys that work there are autistic enough to know what that means.

So yes. Someone will call them up and say 4.12.5.1.11 has no route, they'll walk over and spend 10-15 minutes troubleshooting/verifying and run a new jumper in 15 more minutes.

Then they'll go back to surfing the net or playing triple town or whatever their poison is.

>> No.1750544

>>1748831
shit dude, the owners of rentals here literally get the largest supply of off white and barely gray paint and just shit it on everything after someone moves out, no matter what. i shit you not my house has 4 coats on everything.
outlets, windows, trim and most upsettingly.

have these super solid steel cabinets in the kitchen and they have been painted over minimum 5 times.

>> No.1750549

>>1749005
is ... is this real?
this seems like a bad rendered 3d-model

>> No.1750554

>>1747097
Had the same but with kittens. Sucked, I like cats.

>> No.1750556

>>1750549
it's real, I drive by it every day. They just took the after pic on an overcast day.

>> No.1750566

>>1746485
Yes it can

t. mech engineer

>> No.1750599
File: 518 KB, 1200x910, Possum Van.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1748784
Plot twist, there's an id written on every single plug and it's perfectly documented by the operator stored on his personal laptop.
Why's that you may ask?

U N F I R E A B L E

Next big layoff wave his file comes up, all the higherups just get that 1000 yard stare for a minute before moving on.

>> No.1750612

>>1745244
why doesn't anyone ever understand that heat doesn't rise that fast

you ever notice how the air coming out of your car's AC doesn't immediately go into space the moment it leaves the duct?

>> No.1750634

>>1745118
this isnt a gore thread. jesus christ.

>> No.1750681

>>1749899
Yes, new AC systems will use R410. This is an "upgrade" over R22. But, 410 works at double the pressure of 22 and doesn't mesh with the mineral oil that 22 uses.
It isn't as simple as just taking your 22 away and slapping in a new charge. You need a new compressor for the new refrigerant, you need new evap and condenser coils for the new pressure/temp changes, you need a new TXV for 410. Its a drastic step going to 410.
But its that, or sticking with 22. Finding leaks. Charging ungodly amounts for an endangered refrigerant.

>> No.1751733

>>1748838
People get to treat stuff like shit when they own it.
You shouldnt have bought it, if it bugs you so much.

>> No.1751812

>>1750681
Or just fill propane once in a while. Fuel grade, of course, because you don't want to explode.

>> No.1751814

>>1751812
Based, know a guy with an old diesel suburbran with propane ac.

>> No.1751824

>>1751733
they didn't own it. They were renting. Lost their deposit, but not really a fair trade.

>> No.1751841

>>1744177
Is this a joe dirt reference?

>> No.1751946
File: 952 KB, 500x281, E5304410-A45F-4F97-9059-D966A6881789.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1748962
I hate people

>> No.1752024
File: 2.10 MB, 4032x2268, 20200115_124549.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1752070

>>1752024
The real wtf is niggers still unable to post upright photos to 4chan.

>> No.1752082
File: 1.60 MB, 2246x3992, 1579121466009.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1752024

>> No.1752147
File: 231 KB, 510x630, 20200107_174242.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1752166

>>1752147
Who has to sleep in the hammock?

>> No.1752198

>>1748962
>wrapped the wrong way around the screw
every time

>> No.1752200

>>1752147
>>1752166
You'd have to be fucking spiderman to even get to the hammock

>> No.1752202

>all these HVACR lads ITT
what do you guys think about ammonia/R717 systems?

>> No.1752203

>>1752202
Ammonia smells fucking horribe, good thing it got replaced with freons and shit in household

>> No.1752208

>>1752203
Ammonia in any real concentration is deadly. When ammonia systems leak they don't just smell bad. They kill the fuck out of you.

>> No.1752240

>>1752202
literal meme refrigerant. kills people? oh man who cares. kills the ozone? fuck, ban that shit.
take me back to r12.

>> No.1752245

>>1752208
Well, I didn't die when I decided to disassemble absorption ammonia compressor-less fridge.
>>1752240
Chinks still make R11 and R12, because those were real refrigerant. Non-flammable, last forever. You can get it as "R12 drop-in".

>> No.1752246

Ammonia is literally the best refrigerant that exists. There's a damn good reason it's used for rejecting waste heat on the ISS.

All the bad rap it gets for being deadly comes from industrial-size units that fail.

>> No.1752260

>>1748799
Just purchased a 1940 home and just keep getting angrier as we strip through 6 different layers of paint in every room.
Doorknobs painted over, windows painted shut, hinges, floor to ceiling its all fucking PAINT.

>> No.1752266

>>1752260
>theres no house, just paint

>> No.1752284

>>1750599
>possum van
Briggs back many memories, thank you anon

>> No.1752288

>>1752202
Ammonia kicks ass for industrial. Cheap as fuck.

>> No.1752312

>>1745682

in the US?

in my country, you cant install hvac without being licensed. have to send in a report with every install aswell with your registration number. government agency cold calls hvac installers from the newspaper ads etc and shuts them down without proper licensing.

>> No.1752313

i ripped an old hvac system out of my mums house.

snipped the gas line and went and had a coffee while it emptied. hahaha

>> No.1752334

>>1752312
You can be licensed and still be an incompetent overcharging fuck.

>> No.1752345

>>1749645

Guy from a different company did that to one of our racks at a shitty POP (multi party, no cages or lockable cabinets, just a row of racks) once. Didn't like the way the cables were organized and unplugged them to make organize them "neatly". Red beeping in hour NOC started immediately and we took 2h to get there (no onsite staff or phone to call). By then the damage was well and truly done...

>> No.1752348

>>1752345
>Hosting at the ghetto colo
http://ghetto-colo.com/

>> No.1752378

>>1752260
Don't change structure of your house. It is held by paint. You will anger paint gods, and they will bulldozer your house

>> No.1752380

>>1752312
Propane.

>> No.1752381

>>1752260
Hope you’re wearing respirators. That shit is guaranteed lead paint. Fuck me, it would’ve been much safer to leave it in place and paint over it.

Also check the attic for asbestos-containing insulation.

>> No.1752406

>>1751733
>People get to treat stuff like shit when they own it.
Quite the opposite.

>> No.1752423

>>1752313
Thanks for the $10k anon

>> No.1753501
File: 709 KB, 2149x3840, 1578628716462.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1753515
File: 2.09 MB, 4656x3492, 20200116_204337.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

my fresh OC

>> No.1753551
File: 648 KB, 2448x1836, 1423515725921.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1745208

>> No.1753553

>>1752082
That's ok if the homeowner is a midget.

>> No.1753580

>>1750599
>all the higherups just get that 1000 yard stare for a minute before moving on.
higherups dont even set foot in server rooms let alone understand cable management

>> No.1753596

>>1753501
>keeps the cabin warm and cozy
even gives off some dim soothing light 10/10

>> No.1753645

>>1753501
Chimneyfire.jpg

>> No.1753662

>>1744177
what do those words mean?

>> No.1753666
File: 98 KB, 640x638, dirtyjoe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1753662
literally nothing,its gibberish, but its a reference to a movie called joe dirt, pic relate

>> No.1753703

>>1753666
...okay thanks

>> No.1753958
File: 107 KB, 960x720, thisguy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

personal fav of mine.

>> No.1753959
File: 61 KB, 700x489, assault and battery clamp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1753960
File: 132 KB, 960x643, engines don&#039;t bounce.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1753961
File: 41 KB, 720x538, tire pimple.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

one last one.

>> No.1753996

>>1753961
makes you want to poke at it

>> No.1754014

>>1753959
While endorsing your enthusiasm for finding a solution to the situation with readily available items...
I have a slight problem with your approach.

>> No.1754043

>>1752284
the entire series is on Youtube by the way

>> No.1754044

>>1753501
>Finnish Lava Lamp

>> No.1754057
File: 2.55 MB, 720x1280, miat washing day.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1753580
Then he's jobn't for exactly one morning.
If the company survives the morning that is and goes home that day with a juicy raise.

Pic unrelated

>> No.1754069

>>1745657
>2 years ago: Get second opinion. They say my freon is fine, don't need cap or hard start kit. But that the fact that my lights dim a bit on start up means my compressor is going. so hard start kit might be good idea.

This is normal as far as I know. My house had an HVAC system from the 90's that got completely replaced (every bit of it including the ducts, air handler, etc) with a newer high efficiency system this summer. Both dim the lights slightly when they kick on and I can hear a buzzing sound from my fuze box if I'm near it in the garage.

>> No.1754096

>>1744134
That's why exposed structural metal needs to be grounded on principle.

>> No.1754162

>>1754069
What is a startup capacitor?

>> No.1754177

>>1754162
Most residential AC I've seen don't have a start capacitor they have a run capacitor. The start capacitor will just give the motor an instant boost at startup to get the motor started spinning then its removed from the winding by a start relay. Bad bearings or an old worn compressor that doesnt have a start cap that is having trouble starting some techs will add a start kit to limp it along a few more years but usually it means its on its way out.

>> No.1754188
File: 361 KB, 966x1288, 20181120_131553.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1754363

>>1747097
>>1750554
One day out of luck I decided to pop the hood of my car before going to work and a cat jumped off the engine cover.

>> No.1754449

>>1752147
This is how I build my house in minecraft. Third world areas without Jewish regulation must be fucking hilarious.

>> No.1754468

>>1752147
Bonus points if it is built in seismic area.

>> No.1754490

>>1754188
At least they didn’t bury those refrigerant lines in the slab

>> No.1754516

>>1749005
Why is the house angry?

>> No.1754520
File: 926 KB, 1059x665, 1565451144379.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1745118

>> No.1754536
File: 161 KB, 1200x800, vice-grip-tower.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1754544

>>1746537
>retatd
Get a load of this retard

>> No.1754546
File: 68 KB, 480x270, Special Announcement from SV Seeker-7s2iB0VyB6o.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Explosion aboard SV Seeker; Doug is in a coma. Press F to pay respects.

>> No.1754560

>>1753501
lol, I remember this guy, did he ever sort out the over-fire issue?

>> No.1754576

>>1754546
Holy shit.
Not fuckin Doug man.

I knew they needed gas monitor and constant ventilation with all the shit they were doing in there. F.

>> No.1754615

>>1750544
It's not grey paint, it's white paint with a shot of black
It's some autist handyman from /diy/ being hired to do the work because all he charges is the cost of some chicken tendies and the cost of a few old Russian radio parts

>> No.1754866

>>1754520
how the hell do you even crawl over there

>> No.1755060

>>1754546
>>1754576
I didn't even know that faggot but I looked that video up and I was sad and worried for that stranger and his friends and so was every single person commenting and expressing support in there. BUT I did check the channel out and saw the "UPDATE" video
SPOILER ALERT: Hurr durr YoU HaVe beEn PRanKEd!

Fuck that guy

>> No.1755122

>>1755060
Indeed

>> No.1755129

>>1755060
Sad.

>> No.1755262

>>1750612
As a tall guy who's head is always within an inch of the roof of a car. I can tell you, yes it absolutely does. Every singe time, eyes and up: 95 F, everywhere else, 50 F.

>> No.1755413
File: 1.29 MB, 4608x2592, ocy3021zitr21.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

when you can't drive a forklift

(it was going to be destroyed anyway)

>> No.1755432
File: 32 KB, 515x515, 1579648426313.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1755413

>> No.1755444

>>1748232
Man I would salvage as much of that stuff as I could!

>> No.1755451

>>1755413
That looks like a lot more work than waiting for a forklift or putting it on a skid.

>> No.1755455
File: 3.70 MB, 4160x3120, 1112181539.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A hydraulic fitting broke on the forklift at my work, it turns out a long time ago someone brazed a steel and brass fitting together for whatever reason. Amazingly it didn't break at the joint.

>> No.1755467

>>1752200
Or there is a trap door in the floor. Open it up, step down into one of those support beams, climb down into hammock.

>> No.1755471

>>1753960
how depressing

>> No.1755484

>>1745244
>HEAT RISES

Incorrect.
Hot AIR rises.

HEAT travels from hot to cold.

t. Thermodynamics

>> No.1755485

>>1746578
Still unclear what I'm looking at here.

>> No.1755503

>>1755485
It's just a powersupply ziptied to a staircase.

>> No.1756109
File: 12 KB, 236x236, usethewholestick.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1755455
At least it looks like they tried.

>> No.1756111
File: 47 KB, 943x358, port and polish.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I really hope this is fake.

>> No.1756156

>>1754520

I would gut a house if I saw electrical like that, regardless of the state of renovation. Even if the bitch had Italian marble floors with gold leaf walls, fuck messy electrical.

>> No.1756161

>>1744102
box housing electronic components outside, but the boxes are for internal use only

>> No.1756167

>>1756109
But did they suckseed?

>> No.1756392

>>1756111
That is a very expensive mistake to make. I guess it really does cost you to be stupid.

>> No.1756643
File: 518 KB, 2448x3264, C_Fanasa Cabinet1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1745585

I got one too.

>> No.1756644

>>1756643
Ludwig?

>> No.1756775

>>1755413
>old EMC dae's

nothing of value was lost

>> No.1756867
File: 605 KB, 2592x1944, WP_000465.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1756868
File: 653 KB, 1944x2592, WP_000466.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1756867

>> No.1756872
File: 950 KB, 2592x1944, WP_000467.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1756868

>> No.1756874
File: 831 KB, 1944x2592, WP_000471.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1756872

>> No.1756875
File: 824 KB, 2592x1944, WP_000473.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1756874

>> No.1756877
File: 1.03 MB, 2592x1944, WP_000474.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1756875
Fuck you Acer.

>> No.1756883

>>1756868
>>1756872
>>1756874
>>1756875
>>1756877
nice fix anon

>> No.1756887

>>1756883
Idk if silicone sealant will hold this tho.
If it doesn't, I'll buy polyurethane construction adhesive, because this junk doesn't deserve me gluing studs with screws

>> No.1756889

>>1756887
Well, it is already holding, unlike screws. Lol

>> No.1756931

>>1756887
he will never be able to pull that apart again without destroying the case

>> No.1756935

>>1756931
First of all, I didn't degrease or clean dust.
Second, I have a string casted inside, so I can rip shit apart

>> No.1756953

>>1756887
What kind of silicone did you use? Some of it gives of acidic fumes that will ruin electronics.

>> No.1756957

>>1756953
>What kind of silicone did you use?
Cheapest black one. It says "Windows" on it, so it is appropriate for this laptop, since it ran "Windows".
Sikasil-E, idk how it is called in other places, but it is German made, so it must be good.
>acidic
Yes. But I don't think it would be the issue, since I didn't cover sensitive parts of mobo with it (only ground planes), and I have done same shit in the past without any real corrosion problems.
Ideally, yes, neutral is better.

>> No.1757001

>>1756957
Well, it was easy to take apart.
Forgot to connect HDD, duh

>> No.1757015

>>1745208
Fuck not even bad. I have seen layers seven deep in rooms full of racks. I have had racks sitting under leaking water pipes with an umbrella on top. One at a dentist with a drain for all of their water pick bullshit spewing all over the room. Racks in catacombs.

>> No.1757019

>>1751824
This is what you get for not vetting them beforehand
you gotta root out the undesirables when renting out your places

>> No.1757050
File: 60 KB, 500x325, af720a5be747f9c7ccc756a4b795914f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1757015
>seven layers deep

You are like a little baby.

>> No.1757147

>>1754057
>N-No onii-chan! Don't pee on me!

>> No.1757157

>>1755060
>SPOILER ALERT: Hurr durr YoU HaVe beEn PRanKEd!
Shit really? Why all the prank videos all of a sudden? Clive did one too. Fuck pranks, they're just a waste of everyone's time, regardless of form.

>> No.1757173

>>1757147
I hate this board so god damn much...

>> No.1757183

>>1757157
clickbaiters have their own meme ecosystem (focused on crowd manipulation and moneygrabbing) and right now their dankest meme is "kill a character from an old franchise"

>> No.1757303

>>1756883
Well, this is a legit repair.
>stronger than screws
>a little bit give here and there, so it doesn't crack
>can be disassembled, since silicone is not sticking particularly well to copper plated case or ABS.

So, hot glue and silicone are now my go-to tool for laptop repairs.

>> No.1757522

>>1748232
>>1748238
Some old dude died and what you see there is his functional workshop minus a few hand tools (and weathered)

>> No.1758661

>>1753551
How? Wish I could find the pic, but I have one of a gut that cut thorugh every line at a gas station with a walk-behind concrete saw. Product lines, power lines, data lines, everything.

>> No.1758670

>>1757173
>this board

>> No.1758678

>>1758661
Probably similar. That looks like a false floor. Someone cut through a floor tile without thinking to check what is underneath

>> No.1758686

>>1758661
Had a similar a work quite a few years ago. They were cutting concrete in a room next to an MCC room and nobody knew the conduit was there and barely under the concrete. Cut through alot of big wire and caused alot of downtime.

>> No.1758687

>>1753551
And if those are 100 mbit it's not even that hard to fix. You could probably get better than 50% correct reconnects by just tagging them, and that's enough slack to put a connector on and a union

>> No.1758700

>>1758687
Derp, or even 1 gig is still not even hard.

>> No.1758740

>>1756109
Lord

>> No.1758746

>>1758687
>You could probably get better than 50% correct reconnects by just tagging them
What do you mean by tagging them? Tugging them?

>> No.1758749

>>1758746
Look at how they lay in the bundle write 1 on one side, 1 on the other. Move that out of the way, write #2 etc. Most of those cables have obvious matches in the bundle.

>> No.1758754

>>1748799
>Guy makes a beautiful mahogany door
>Paints it white
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM2lzP8JQhU

>> No.1759058
File: 676 KB, 2896x2896, 20200128_152956.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Rate this maintenance worker's plumbing job

>> No.1759080

>>1751841
No, he's quoting Othello.

>> No.1759083

>>1753553
It's a ball washing station.

>> No.1759084

>>1752166
Jesus I didnt even notice it

>> No.1759098

>>1759058
did that blow apart lol i've seen some realy old shit that soft solder thats had no problems but you got to flow it in and it needs to be number #8 or stay silv and not 50/50

>> No.1759102
File: 666 KB, 1632x1224, hole.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1759155

>>1759098
Yup
Unit wasn't cooling
Checked it out and found this
Saved me time on the recovery

>> No.1759378

>>1759102
>mfw I've had filters come new out of the box like that
Buy OEM parts, kids, and look that shit over before you put it in.

>> No.1759484

>>1756867
>>1756868
>>1756872
>>1756874
>>1756875
>>1756877
You should take better care of your shit. Don't blame the company (unless it's cheap Chinese knock off shit) because I seen how some of you fuckers live here in /diy/ and /g/.

>> No.1759491

>>1748651
Adding more
In my work area IT replaced the computer near one of the machines. As always, it's a fuckin LattePanda (Intel Atom with 2GB RAM and Win10 Pro) to be more cheap they 3D print their own cases which are retarded because they don't fit and stay in place without using zip ties. They just zip tied it to the standing computer workstation and left all the cables a fuckin mess again. So I fixed it. I mounted the powerstrip to the stand (it was on the floor and the boomer that runs the machine near it floods the coolant tank most of the time) and cable managed the fuck out of everything on it. Also remounted the computer so its not flapping around.

The safety woman also been bitching about a lot of shit lately. During one of my breaks and fuckin around I notice someone was hiding spray paint cans in a fuckin machine. Not in a shelf on the machine or built into the machine, but in the fuckin machine itself.

Waiting for the day this place burns down.

>> No.1759638

Just let it burn down and get your cough looked at and get a nice pay check

>> No.1759643
File: 882 KB, 2672x1504, WP_20170326_21_16_34_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1759704
File: 2.45 MB, 2592x1944, 20200129_2015462e.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1756877
Fuck you twice Acer.
This time, hinge/screen frame broke. A fucking piece of metal.
So, I used again some Sikasil-E and drywall screws to fasten shit...

Actually, plywood is perfect material for laptops, because thinner plywood (I didn't have on hand) would have worked too.

>> No.1759713
File: 36 KB, 700x1344, image0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1759704
Soon

>> No.1759734

>>1759713
Kek.
But yeah, that is my style

>> No.1759756

>>1759713
looks like it may have worked for the guy and its his screen

>> No.1759923

>>1746578
Those meanwells are nice. The pipe above makes me uncomfortable.

>> No.1759936

>>1754536
Whoever can remove the vice grips becomes the King of England

>> No.1760008

>>1759713
If it works, it ain't stupid!

>> No.1760058
File: 831 KB, 3968x2976, YwGY3qQA.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

here's some oc for you boys

>> No.1760136

>>1760058
what is this?

>> No.1760139

>>1760136
Some OC for us boys.

>> No.1760166

>>1759936
Whoever tries to remove the vice grips will vice grip the vice grips and live the rest of their life by the live antenna.

>> No.1760193

>>1759098
Sure!...Working HVAC in the late 70's, Boss "We can save time and money, Use Stay Silve from now on with propane tourch. Late 1980's in Walgreens ceiling back room. I bump into the liquid Freon line of 5 ton condenser. Fuckin oil and R-22 Freon spraying every where. Boss "You fucked it you fix it on your own time" I don't care what they tell you, trades are hard work. Who had the bright idea to use tin shit on high pressure lines?

>> No.1760197

>>1753515
Shit Tig welded repair on a old cracked heat exchanger. I like it better when they use the white goo shit smeared all over it.

>> No.1760201

>>1756109
Sil-phos on brass over a 3 month repair. Next time use the fuckin flux first.

>> No.1760204

>>1760136
Was a HEPA filter in a hospital or clean room. Now it is a ca-ca filter.

>> No.1760225

>>1760201
I think thats copper to steel. I've never been able to get sil-phos to stick to steel it looks like it flowed and stuck and like it will hold but it breaks apart. I've welded brass to copper many times and it holds just fine with sil phos. and when i say sil phos i mean 15%

>> No.1760229
File: 140 KB, 640x480, 1577451262032.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1760259

>>1759713
That's not rekt. That's innovation.

>> No.1760338

>>1760197
>he thinks I used a TIG welder
thanks I guess.
Yes, this is my job, not something I encountered in the field...
Just need her to last through the winter.

>> No.1760571

>>1744198
nigga that's a phone jack.

>> No.1760714

>>1749363
For commercial buildings I think a big factor is that its because it's easy to clean and fix a flat, muted-color facade than to have something that requires care. There's some old diner near me and the person I was with complained that it seemed a bit dirty. No shit it's going to be dirty when it's a small family-run and low-staff place built in the 60s and the whole thing is decorated nicely. There's heavy old chairs, wavy moulding on all the booths and trim, mirrored tiles, carpet, a bar counter for the register and two bar counters for seating. And the outside is similarly elaborate. All that shit requires someone to scrub it down. Nice place, good food and service.

For interiors and residences, as well as the "trendy" reason for commercial buildings, I'm pretty sure it's part of the minimalist trend popularized by rich bauhaus-and-ikea-worshipping NYC/Silicon Valley/Euro trash.

>> No.1760830

>>1760571
i don't see it

>> No.1760832

>>1748962
I must have missed this one. I quite think this is worse, actually. I hope the person who did this died.

>> No.1760834

>>1748968
I'm sorry but did it have a drop ceiling? That's worse than anything the idiot who bought it did.

>> No.1760838
File: 1.76 MB, 3120x4160, IMG_20160809_140900.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fucking painters.

>> No.1760840
File: 982 KB, 810x1080, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1760838

>> No.1760856

>>1745208
lol thats baby shit shit kiddo

>> No.1760883

>>1760229
Is that coolant in the oil pan?

>> No.1760887

>>1760838
>>1760840
painters do mudding?

>> No.1760899

>>1760193
>>1759098
Can I use 50/50 on R410A and R600a for a dodgy thirdworld repair?
While melting phosphorous brazing rod is possible with butane torch, it takes forever, and because of that pipe gets black inside (I have no nitrogen).

>> No.1760963

>>1760899
no i wouldnt 410 runs some high pressures up to 400 lbs on the high side 200 on the low. 600 you might slide on the low side for a while but i wouldn't use it on the high side I dont think it takes vibration very good

>> No.1760989

>>1760963
>no i wouldnt 410 runs some high pressures up to 400 lbs on the high side 200 on the low
What mean time for it to fail would you expect?

>> No.1761005

>>1760883
ye, cursed image

>> No.1761035

>>1760989
don't know never tried it might blow right off might last years who knows If your gonna use soft solder get 95/5 i think its just a little more expensive and Copeland used to recommend you could use it on suction and liquid lines but I would recommend you never use it on a discharge line

>> No.1761219

>>1761035
Isn't 95/5 more brittle than 50/50?
They might recommend lead-free just because whatever lead-free regulation.
>but I would recommend you never use it on a discharge line
This is exactly what I was planning to do.

>> No.1761230

>>1761219
So, use hard solder instead?

>> No.1761254

>>1756875
That is not gore, just your average HP, Acer,Dell laptop Quality.

>> No.1761361

>>1761254
Any modern laptop for that matter.
Even ThinkPads with their "rollcage" have plastic shit that breaks.
Only Applel makes good cases (maybe also some JDM and Toughbooks), but they are making absolute shit motherboards.

If that piece of shit breaks again, I will buy a router and make my own case out of 18 mm thick plywood.

>> No.1761363

>>1761361
Hm... Or OSB?

>> No.1761364

>>1761219
Use 15% sil fos on a discharge line it runs to hot and will be almost half way to the melting point of any soft solder running normal

>> No.1761368

>>1761230
I don't have nitrogen, nor I don't know anyone I can steal it from.
So anything with melting point above 400C isn't suitable.
>>1761364
100C isn't much for 50/50 I think.
>Use 15% sil fos
This melts at 710C, so pipe will get black inside.

Do they make 3/8 shark bites? I have an idea.

>> No.1761371

>>1761368
>shark bites
I can't imagine they're terribly good at these high pressures, but that's from the POV of someone not in the plumbing or HVAC bis.

>> No.1761377

>>1761368
>Do they make 3/8 shark bites? I have an idea
if the discharge line is 3/8 it probably doesnt hold much gas anyway just use 50/50 and see what happens a shark bite is probably gonna leak on a discharge line from all the vibration

>> No.1761521

>>1761377
>doesnt hold much gas anyway j
Yes, just 600 grams
I know the solution. Tin outside of pipe too, maybe add soldering wick, so connection is thicker and stronger than rest of pipe.
On factory they won't do this, since it is expensive and slow, but I don't give a fuck, since I have stolen solder anyway

>> No.1761592

>>1761521
let us know how it turns out just because no one tried it because they say not to do it doesn't mean it wont work I've seen some old shit that was done the wrong way but had been working fine for years.

>> No.1761597
File: 1.03 MB, 2672x1504, 20170314_02_01_21.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1756109

>> No.1761796

>>1760338
Did you stop drill the ends of the cracks before welding? If not keep an eye on it.

>> No.1761857

>>1759704
stop buying acer, retard

>> No.1761929
File: 2.19 MB, 2880x2160, 20190602_142909.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Kazakhstan

>> No.1761932
File: 1.88 MB, 2880x2160, 20190618_172117.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Moar

>> No.1761933
File: 1.74 MB, 2880x2160, 20190620_105811.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Soviet era

>> No.1761968

>>1761857
I don't think other laptop would be any different, if you consider that all of them are designed by same fucking company, Compal.

>> No.1761989

>>1761929
>>1761932
>>1761933
Honestly doesn't look that bad. Was expecting an older processor. Sure the plant is falling apart around it but if it works don't fix it.

>> No.1762002

>>1760571
It's a power supply, I have that exact same model. 3 AC wires come in on the lower side, the upper 6 are the outputs. There's a 110-220V switch on the lower side, right by the ziptie.

>> No.1762003

>>1761933
lmao looks exactly like the shit you see in my job NOW. I really should take a few dozen pics

>> No.1762049

>>1761929
Only one wire crossing out of the trough the wrong way?

Labels on most things?

A beauty and a joy. Almost nothing wrong here

>> No.1762073

>>1761597
Fragmentation bomb.

>> No.1762137

>>1761929
That's cable porn, not rekt.

>> No.1762840

>>1756867
>>1756868
>>1756872
>>1756874
>>1756875
>>1756877
this is a blue board. take your til/e/s somewhere else.

>> No.1762875

>>1762840
They're not even fappable with all that misalignment and poor color matching.

>> No.1762886

>>1762875
They are wavy, they are not flat, if you look closely. It is by design.
As cor color matching, they were bargin, and I ripped melamine on that table thing, so whatever.

>> No.1762893

>>1762886
I'm not talking about the tile surface. I'm talking about the tile spacing in the grout. Shit's wonky.

>> No.1762927

>>1762893
If you mean table surface, it is by design, because it is hard to fuck up mesh-mounted mosaics on flat surface with thin layer of glue.
If you mean side, yes it is "meh". I wanted to use aluminium angle, but I had some mosaics left from kitchen renovation, so I used them. Because there is no mesh, and I didn't have any spacers on hand, they are wavy and not even flat to surface. Also they have sharp edge and I nearly cut my veins.

I'm not that good when it comes to any sort of finish (paint, drywall, wallpaper, tile).
Tiles on floor are not in surface, because I didn't had any leveling system, and I suck at leveling shit.
Drywall patches and joints have "speedbumps" because sanding them over is pain in the ass.
Paint has drips..
Because I got no tools, and my hands are growing from asshole so I really need fancy tools in order to do perfect job.

This is why I got confused by >>1762840 .

>> No.1763067

>>1748968
>drop ceiling
>ugly assed wall paper
ah, reminds me of the house I lived in when I went to university in Flint, it just needs the toxo mice and dead animals in the crawl space and it'd be perfect

>> No.1763164

>>1753501
my ´´big iron´´ soldering iron does the same thing, cool

>> No.1763166
File: 365 KB, 1488x1488, IMG_20200205_130111989.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1763482

>>1761796
No, I couldn't really find a definitive end to the cracks. So instead I put lateral welds at the end of each weld as well as welding well past where I perceived the end to be.

Was the coldest night of the year that night so I didn't give too many fucks about it. Only needs to last through this winter, I have CO detectors all over the house as well.

>> No.1763777

>>1761933
why does some insulation start looking like bloody meat with age?

>> No.1765206
File: 3.39 MB, 3024x4032, 1581280835427.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]