[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 83 KB, 489x686, f5ty8-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
172868 No.172868 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/bros,
Any of you have experience building boats? Im looking to build one for freshwater fishing, lakes, some river that seats 2-3 people. I come to you guys for advice and tips on where to find blueprints, and some dos and donts of the actual building process.

Love,
a /sp/artan

>> No.172877
File: 51 KB, 500x375, txSLg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bumps

>> No.172882

what material?

>> No.172887

I'd fuck that. Do you have more? No experiences with boats, all I ever made were rafts when I was a kid.

>> No.172892

what propulsion would be used to move yourself on the lake?

>> No.172894

>>172892
I meant, Will you be using paddles, oars, wind or a motor of some sort to propel the vessel across the lake?

>> No.172911

Be warned: some of the epoxies and chemicals used to seal wooden boats give off nasty fumes. I wouldn't want to breathe them. I certainly would not want to work with those chemicals in an enclosed space like a garage.

>> No.172917

Depends on the quality you want.

I remember a friend of mine a few years ago built a boat out of plywood, wood screws, and just waterproof sealant. It was just for use in the neighborhood lake, but it could fit two people comfortably; three if you stayed low and didn't move too much.

I remember he used to use fucking brooms for oars xD.

It worked enough for him to fish comfortably in the middle of the lake tho

>> No.172918

Most likely wood, oar powered but I assume I could attach and outboard motor if I had to

>> No.172941

Bump again I guess

>> No.173102

are you looking for something like this op http://www.amazon.com/dp/0071477926

there are a lot of /diy/able plywood small boat designs out there. not as graceful as old fashioned plank construction imho but good enough to go out on the lake in. I've also seen some large aleut looking kayaky coracle-y things (made from canvas and urethane instead of animal hide) which were surprisingly sturdy.

>> No.173118

>>172917
Agreed. There's a huge variation in time, money and material commitments when you want to build a boat. You could go for a Tendercraft kit boat or a bunch of branches rolled up in a tarp.

>> No.173134

HEY BRO

So I stumbled across this torrent of pdfs of boat making instructions a while back. While I don't really have the means to do anything with the knowledge, the directions look legit. Some of the guides are a little vague i guess, but there are quite a few that are very detailed.

http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/5353720/The_Boat_Builders_Free_Plans_v2.0

It's mostly small row boats and canoes and stuff but there is also instructions on making some small sail boats and stuff.

>> No.173142

basically i don't really know much on building them but i did learn that getting the wood wet allows you to bend it then let it dry over a night or 2 and it should pretty much keep that shape. If you us plywood, you could cut sort of like strips then angling one side and once you have like 4-5 of these, make a trapezoid type of flat piece and screw all the boards onto that and make them flush if possible. once you have them stuck pretty good just bend them inward toward eachother and screw them together at the front, seal the cracks and screws and stuff. On the front find a rubber or polyurethane strip and glue it on the front seam so it is better at pushing water sideways, then run a bead of sealant along the edges for protection... I am hoping some of this makes sense, i will try my hand at drawing pictures on MS paint but i am not super good at it.

>> No.173152
File: 151 KB, 1280x960, 2012-03-09_21.26.32.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Well here is my shitty hand drawn picture. The boat doesn't really show what i mean but i am sure you can figure it out on your own. Just look at a boat and look at some plywood.

>> No.173682

OP RETURNS
>>173134
This helped immensely, some of these I didn't even realize I could do at home! I also found this http://www.simplicityboats.com/LCB.htm would this seem like a good first design?