[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 760 KB, 1024x768, Penguins.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
172596 No.172596 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/! I'm not sure how quick this board is, so it might be a bit early to post this considering I'll be taking off soon. I'm from /fit/, and I've recently picked up quite a few books for the fitness subject and got all of my textbooks for my Personal Training course. With all of this new stuff, I decided I'd like to challenge myself and build a bookcase. I work at a Pier One Imports doing their truck, and they're giving away some pretty nice boards that I'm going to pick up to see if I can't use them for this. Any tips or good links that you all can hook me up with? I'd appreciate it fellas!

Pic unrelated: Currently on my roommates desktop instead of my own.

>> No.172605

One common error that you need to keep in mind is inclined stays. If you just build it like a box with four walls and some shelves, it will fold itself neatly up on your floor. A plate in the back or some diagonal beams hidden carefully should take care of that.

>> No.172680

>>172605
Thanks! I'll definitely keep that in mind.

So this shelf is going to be used for textbooks and heavy things in that nature. Is there a certain wood I should use/stay away from for the frame and shelves, or will I be able to get away with using these older boards from pier one (still feel sturdy) and painting over them so they look new?

>> No.172798

>>172680
>or will I be able to get away with using these older boards from pier one (still feel sturdy) and painting over them so they look new?

If you are talking about boards they used in their displays then most likely yes you can use them for your needs.

Just double check the boards for any cracks,splits, etc... Keep in mind these had to hold up whatever Pier One used them for so they should be ok. However I have seen some extremely cheap displays that would fall apart if you leaned on it.

>> No.172820

>>172798
Yeah, I looked over all of them and made sure I only got the cream of the crop. No cracks or anything like that, and I put more pressure on them than the books would ever put, so they oughta be sturdy enough.

How should I handle the base of the case? Would you guys reccommend some sort of feet for the base or just putting the bottom shelf directly on the floor? It will be on carpet if that makes the decision easier.

Also, I still haven't decided how I want to stain it of you all have some input on that. Brands, etc.

One last thing for this check-in. Anyone ever make something and use a sort of stand-out color and later regret it? I was thinking of using a gray-blue stain on it, but I'm afraid down the road it will just look stupid and I would rather have it match.

Thanks again fellas!