[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 44 KB, 500x500, mason-jar.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
171005 No.171005 [Reply] [Original]

I have 8 jars of gold coins I want to hide in my house. The jars are 5 inches around, 10 inches tall. I don't trust the banks, and a safe is too obvious around here (3 safes in my community have been cracked in the past year)

I've been thinking about buying a large fish tank to hide them in, but most gravel setups are only a few inches deep, nothing like the 6-8 inches I would need.

I've heard someone else say they bought an oversized speaker and hid stuff inside (while maintaining a functioning speaker), but I've also heard that speakers are somewhat common hiding places.

Any ideas? I'm willing to spend a few grand on this.

>> No.171011

Gut a console tv. Hide safe in tv. Put in basement under stairs. Throw some vcrs and crt monitors and 486s in there with it.

>> No.171012

If you have a crawlspace, you could hide it under there somewhere. Go the old-time route an bury a "treasure box" under there, or even get really elaborate and put them in junction boxes with fake conduit. Or get drain pipe with diameter large enough to fit the coins in and make it look like it's an actual drain pipe.

If you don't have a crawlspace you could hide them in a similar manner in your attic. Or you could remove a section of drywall, hide them in there, and patch the drywall back up. The best place to do this would probably be a closet, unless you think a thief would pay special attention to such an area.

The only thing is you would not be able to access them easily, and there is the off-chance of some tradesman finding them if you ever hire one. But other than that they would be hidden pretty well.

>> No.171013

bury it?

>> No.171015

add some jelly (a dark colored one) to the jars, mix well, apply lid and a hand-written label identifying it as "Nana's Berry Mix". Stack in the back of the pantry, ideally a shelf at knee height but not on the floor.

Send the thousands not spent on jelly and paper to me.

>or..
>I have 8 jars of drugs I want to hide in my house.
>The jars are 5 inches around, 10 inches tall. I don't trust the banks, and a safe is too obvious to police.

>> No.171017

>>171012

To add to the attic thing, you could probably "bury" the coins under your insulation. Blown-in would probably work best, but batt or rolled would probably work too. But I wouldn't recommend just laying the jars down under the insulation as in most areas they'd be sitting just on drywall/plaster and I imagine your gold coins would be pretty heavy. What you'd probably want to do is make some simple wooden boxes to hold your coins in and then attach them to your ceiling joists with screws (nails, unless you have a nail gun, might cause you to have some hairline cracks in your ceilings and any crown moulding you might have). Then just put your coins in them, put the insulation back over them and remember where they were.

Hope that helps.

>> No.171019

>>171015
and yet, I've said nothing about drug dogs, which would seem like an important requirement for hiding drugs.

These are gold coins my father inherited from his father and didn't feel comfortable spending (strong work ethic).

>> No.171022

the best way is to break up some floor in your basment, dig a hole big enough to keep the coins in a steel lock box, wrap the box in thick plastic and then pour concrete over them and smooth it to look like some work was done on your plumbing, you know where it is and it only takes like 5-10 mins with a sledge hammer to retrieve them, you can do this all your self and no one would ever think to look there, just put some old boxes over the patch and perfect stash

>> No.171023

>>171011
I like this and will add it to my list of potentials.

>>171012
I might need to access the coins once every 30-60 days to sell some.

>>171015
I like this idea and will add it to my list of potentials. Might need to insulate gold from jelly too. I'll have to research possible harm.

>> No.171025

Get the appropriate sized shipping tube, or a couple of them, and put it with all of the wrapping paper for Christmas, or your shipping supplies. ditch the jars, empty/cleaned out paint cans, dump gold into them, line the bottom the cotton cloth, place them with the rest of your home improvement supplies. Not-so-obvious-but-fuck-what-idiot-hides-gold-with-house-paint.

>> No.171026

>>171019

OP, what would help us a lot in answering your question would be knowing what type of house you have. Is it a house or an apartment? Do you share the house with anyone or do you have full control over it? Do you have a solid slab or crawlspace or basement?

>> No.171028

Dissolve it in aqua regia. You won't be able to tell there's gold in it; it will only resemble a murky solution. When the time comes, you can remove the gold to 99% purity.

>> No.171029

If you have a garage, buy several bags of manure fertilizer and place a jar or two well inside each bag .... nobody in their right mind is going to stick there hands into a bag of dry shit hoping to find treasure.

>> No.171030

>>171025
A little messy, but paint is heavy, big, and isn't uncommon to be stored in the amount I need. I will add this to my list of potentials.

>> No.171032

>>171023

You shouldn't have to insulate your gold from jelly; it's very noble.

Also If you go the conduit box route or under-insulation route you should be able to access them pretty easy. It'd be just a couple of screws or lifting up some insulation, respectively.

>> No.171036
File: 31 KB, 440x295, 121.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>171028

Here's what the resulting solution should look like. The gold, when removed, will be pure.

It's essentially a mixture of strong acids.

>> No.171037

>>171026
I have complete control over my house. I have a 3/4 basement and a completely sealed attic. 3 stories, seperate garage (2 stories) and "double lot" yard that is completely fenced in, but neighbors on either side are on a higher vantage point and can see into my yard easily.

>> No.171038

I like obvious-in-the-open ideas, nobody every thinks to look. They're going to check the book shelf, the dresser, closets, etc. Who the fuck checks paint cans, christmas decorations, or packing supplies?

>empty paint cans, by the way

>> No.171040

>>171029
biff.jpg
Manure.... I hate manure.

>> No.171041
File: 9 KB, 320x240, attic[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>171037

So you have no way to access your attic then? Not even something like this that you need to use a ladder to get into?

>> No.171043

>>171041
Mostly vaulted ceilings, there is a small section that isn't, but I think it's just solid filled with insulation. No box thing like in your picture, just solid drywall.

>> No.171044

>>171019
Then go with the jelly.
Sorry for the suspicion, i just see to many "hey, where can i hide my totally legal, honest, baggies of fine mexican wee.. err.. vegetable matter where my roommate can't find it?" threads.

>>171023
if they are simply pure gold in coin form they should be wonderfully nonreactive to something like jelly. If they have an intrinsic collector value due to source then skip the jelly tomb.

The other suggestion would be to take them Out of the jars, fit into nicer (and less bulky) storage devices. If these are real gold there is probably a wide selection of sleeves or canisters made especially for them. These would likely be easier to hide.

Install a water softener in the basement. Hide the sealed packages or jars under the salt/chemical chips and water.

Seconding the paint-can idea.

Seconding the bag or manure or dirt idea.

Build a large bookshelf with a lift-up shelf on the bottom, place jars inside, fill shelf with crap.

Mount a safe between floor joists, place chest of drawers over. gold in safe.

Do you have a cat?
Built one of those "cat tree" structures of ledges around a tube covered in carpet and mounted floor to ceiling. Stack jars in tube.

Stack coins/smaller containers inside air vents in less-used rooms. Make sure they are not visible by reflection in room.

>> No.171049

>>171044
thought about the air ducts before, not sure
also thought about installing fake sewer pipe in basement
I like the cat tree structure and will add it to the list of my potentials.

>> No.171057

there are a million and a half acceptable hiding places in a house, even given the extreme circumstance that you may be away from the house for enough time for burglars to take a part most things in your house

but seriously, how much are these coins worth to be this paranoid? just throw the jars on your roof or something..

>> No.171061

get a very accurate GPS and find a national park that you can access via a country road.

get a couple of ammo boxes and bury them deep, in multiple locations with only one or two jar in each.

establish safe practices, only dig at night, always put a white cloth in your car window and put the hood up to make it look like you broke down if any cop comes across it. never get back in the vehicle if anyone can see you or what you are carrying. don't be lazy, dig deep and pack the earth well on top of it, use leaf cover etc.

a national park will never be developed (at least not without you getting a very early warning from the news), and hunters won't stumble across your storage units.

>> No.171063

dig a fucking hole in your back yard

>> No.171064

>>171036
if they have any historic value beyond just weight as gold, melting them wouldn't be an option.

>>171057
its fucking gold.

>> No.171080

Jars can be a pain in the ass if the lid gets stuck. Also remembering where you put them all. I has experience.

>> No.171083

move out of the ghetto

>> No.171085

Why don't you trust banks?

>> No.171092

I'd suggest creating a hiding place in your walls or floor. If you have forced air heating you could open up the forced air vents. Put the gold in and use a long flexible poll to push the coins far out of site.

You might also try hallowing out a portion of wall to hide coins in. You might have to re-plaster every time you want to brag to your friends though

>> No.171100
File: 18 KB, 738x644, picrelated.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>171005
what about something like pic related? Get some PVC or steel piping the same diameter as the coins, stacking them into these like batteries into a torch, and then hang the pipes on the roof of your garage/basement so they look like normal utility conduit?

Obviously you'd need to have the ends terminate into elbow joints that go into the wall, and make sure there was a way to easily disengage the pipes at the corner, but I doubt anyone would go ripping utility off your roof on the off chance there was gold in them there pipes.. Unless they were copper thieves, in which case, they would die from the surprise of finding gold in there, and you'd still retain your loot.

>> No.171113
File: 20 KB, 540x204, 060508secretstash01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fake vent....easy to do ...done

>> No.171114

>>171015
lol this this

>> No.171156

>>171036
Afterwards, you have a fire, or random incident and jars break. No one knows what the liquid is, and you forgot, so the liquid drains away.

>> No.171160

>>171005
Don't put all your eggs in the same basket to start with, this especially if you may need to access some of them occasionally.

You also don't want them hidden in something that might get stolen by a random thief(if you expect those).

If you hide in moderately plain sight, remember that gold is heavy. A normally light object that is found to be heavy will be suspicious.

You could also consider to buy a safe to store some random trinkets(fake jewelry and low value shiny metals). If someone breaks into your home with the goal of getting your valuables, they'll most likely home in on the safe primarily. If there is no safe and they expect you to hold valuables, they'll scour your house a lot more carefully.

Plain sight suggestions would be: flower pots, of large plants. Not in the pot itself, but encapsulated and hidden in the soil layer, preferably bound in roots after a while. Unless someone steals the plant itself or gut the root system, they won't find it.

Fossilized bread perhaps? Find a recepie for some heavy type of dark bread. incorporate the gold in the dough, bake it, cut a few slices of it so it seems used and then dry it until stale, store in a messy breadbin. Preferably this should look like a 3 week old piece of dried bread, not a three year old piece that you're saving for a purpose.

Hide them in PSU(s)(the black bricks that everything electronic uses).

In low quality furniture. Remove a table leg leg and grind a depression into the fixation point(or the leg itself), goldcoin there, reaffix the leg.

Any seamless encapsulation method really. Choclate, tin, lead, clay, whatever feels a lot safer than hidden compartments and whatnot.

>> No.171161

buy a safe anyway, as disctraction/possible trap

>> No.171274

>>171005
>I'm willing to spend a few grand on this.

Buy a nice fucking safe. Goodnight and good luck.

>> No.171277

>>171005
>Any ideas? I'm willing to spend a few grand on this.

Buy gallon of vaseline. Grease up jar. One per few days. Sit on them slowly. SLOWLY is the key word here. Your intestines will stretch if you do it correctly, not too fast. Nobody would ever think to look in your guts.

>> No.171294

>>171277
> Visualises 1guy1jar
> NOPE.avi

>> No.171309

Inexpensive wall safe behind a bathroom mirror.

>> No.171312

You could trade them for some rare metal like Iridium. Leave it in plane sight and label it as a common element.

>> No.171320
File: 91 KB, 538x800, $(KGrHqEOKooE4t4Q6O1ZBOUnmD7nrw~~48_3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Get a real safe OP

>> No.171322

here it is again guys.
http://www.freecommonlaw.us/images/HIDING.pdf

>> No.171330

Use a fucking bank. Seriously. I'm as sick of bullshitters bullshitting the economy as everyone else is, but you're not going to keep that kind of thing safe in your house for long if anybody knows about it. An in-home safe is only useful if you're a drug dealer, and then only because most (competent) safe crackers are too smart to try ripping off people who have friends who kill people for a living. At least if a bank gets robbed, they're liable for what's been stolen.

If the rate of home invasions versus the rate of successful bank heists isn't comforting to you, buy a bag of chocolate coins and carefully remove the foil wrapping from a number of them equal to the number you want to hide. Eat or discard the chocolate, then wrap the real coins inside the wrappers. Then stow this bag of chocolates and gold in a closet with a lot of other candy, preferably a lot of old-ass Halloween or Valentine's Day stuff. Don't really hide it, just keep it somewhere you don't need to get to often and makes sense to store junk that you didn't give out last year for whatever reason.

Better than any of that, sell the stupid things, toss the money into Coca Cola or Johnson & Johnson or some other blue chip company that sells crap that people don't stop buying because they're poor, green, or digital. Hiding money in your mattress wastes time that could be spent making more money.

>> No.171332

if you have an old bathroom you never use hide it in the back tank then piss and shit in it without cleaning ever.

>> No.171336

Hide it in your vents.

Unscrew the vent cover, and place the jars in the duct, far enough in that is isn't visible from the floor.

>> No.171339

>>171113

One of the first places an experienced burglar would look.

>> No.171340

>>171274

In the first two sentences he explained why he can't get a safe.

Learn to fucking read, dipshit.

>> No.171634

why don't you appraise it and sell it?
AFAIK only jews value gold as is.
Also,
Why don't you spend on some jeweller's equipment? like crucibles, molds, tools, etc.? you sseem to already have a decent amount of raw material to make some fine shit out of there (if you're creative enough, that is)

>> No.171644

>>171336
gotto love Breaking Bad

>> No.171652

Bury that shit; you are now a pirate.

I advise against a treasure map, though.

>> No.171658

Rent a large concrete hole saw, the sort that will drill a hole 10 inches around.
Drill through your foundation, until you break through the concrete, and lift the leftover cylinder out intact. Then, drill down another 6-10 feet into the ground. Insert a piece of PVC pipe with an end cap to line the hole and prevent water from getting in. The top of the pipe should terminate at the bottom of your concrete foundation. Seal at the top with caulk. You now have a 6-10 foot deep drywell.
Now, remember that concrete you drilled out? To the underside of this, affix a metal eye. To this, tie 6-10 feet of rope, cord, or steel cable. (see where I'm going with this?)
Make a container for your coins. You should have more than 9 inches diameter to work with here. Tie the cord on to the top. Lower it down into the hole, and then place the concrete cylinder into the hole. The bottom of it should sit on the top of the PVC, and the top should sit flush with the floor. Put a throw rug or piece of furniture over it, and you're through. When you want to get your coins, pry it up with a crowbar and pull up the rope. This will also survive fire, and just about anything short of an atom bomb.

>> No.171660

Please don't cut through your foundation.
>>171658 is an idiot or a troll.

>> No.171661

take it to a shop

>> No.171676

Buy a pool. Put the pool in your basement. Put the gold in a jar in the pool. Buy a shark. Put the shark in the pool.

Problem solved.

>> No.171679

You are a liar

>> No.171681

>>171005
>Don't trust banks
Safe deposit boxes are about as safe as safe can get, and if you bury or otherwise hide that much gold around your house and you get robbed, the cops are going to laugh their asses off at you for being a moron.

>> No.171706

If your actually hiding the gold you should stash half in some hole in your basement. Put the rest in a safe deposit box.
If someone robs your house and then the bank you need to move.

>> No.171709

Paint cans is great. You can buy empty paint cans, or if you want to be superstealth, buy actual paint. Say kilz primer or something. Empty it out. You'll get drips on the side probably, which helps the authenticity of it. Let it dry on the inside, and bingo bango. It'll look like a can of opened primer, no one will think twice.

>> No.171711

>>171709
If you're really paranoid, you could even submerge the gold in the paint. Spread the coins between several cans to even out the weight. When you need the gold, just strain the coins out and wash in paint thinner. Gold is noble, so neither the paint nor the thinner will hurt them.

>> No.171712

>>171644
Never seen it.

I was referencing the scene in No Country for Old Men where the guy hides the bag of cash in the ducts at the motel.

>> No.171727

>>171711
>>171709

if you do this be sure to use some shitty color just in case anyone is tempted to do a little painting

>> No.171738

Holy shit how the fuck do you have 8 jars of gold coins?

You just bought a bunch of those $20 gold plated 'commemorative coins' from an infomercial, didn't you?

>> No.171739

>>171727

I would say to use a color like white instead as it needs to be common enough to not look out of place and something that had actually been used for the house, make it authentic with some paint running down the sides and shit like that, honestly out of everything that seemed pretty good, if you want you can even combine with the airtight bags for the gold coins to avoid any direct interaction.

>> No.171754

>>171005

1. Buy PVC piping large enough for all gold
2. Buy a huge ass statue or some heavy ass yard decoration (or simply bury it under your house, but it seems you have concrete foundations...so...)
3. Put gold in PVC, bury it under large ass statue
4. Stare at statue and remember gold buried underneath everyday

I would avoid your house, a tornado and hurricane or even a fire could fuck that shit up.. and spare me that house fire doesn't get hot enough to melt gold shit, it COULD happen.

>> No.171755

How much money in gold do you have?

>> No.171834

>>171755
>>171738
>>171057

Didn't expect the thread to last this long.
The value of the coins isn't entirely based on them being gold, it's the collector's value. The coins spread from a few hundred to several grand each. I'm not sure how much the total would be. I don't want to sell it all right away. I just want to keep it safe until I know what to do.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

>> No.171839

Bury them in a crate in your backyard.

>> No.172000

go to lowes/home depot. buy an electrical panel similar to one you have in your house. bonus points if your electrical panel is located in the basement

now... this iwll cost you a few hundred bucks... but you wont be using the panel for electricity.

mount it next to your original panel, connect tghem together with a 2" pvc electrical pipe. you want the impression its in use. so you have to make it LOOK like its in use. if your original panel has wires coing out of the top of it, then you will have to duplicate that. you dont need like 40 circuits coming out... just a few to make it look as if it was an add on for new circuits.

you dont need to fill all the breaker spots, just like 3 or 4. so anyways mount panel, install 4 breakers. get some 14/2 electrical wire some wire clamps. now, punch out 4 spots on top of the panel, install clamps. measure wire from about 2" inside the clamp and have thr wire go up into the joists and "disappear" and just have then up there to look like they are powering stuff.

inside the panel DO NOT wire up the breakers. juts leave the wire cut off right by the clamp.
now depending on the sixe of the panel, you have the whole interior space to hide shit inside. stacking jars, or boxes, or hiding important papers. and nobody will be the wiser. even label the breakers with made up shit like "bathroom exhaust fan" or "attic light"

now you have a hiding place nobody will think twice about looking into cause really who the fuck would hide shit inside dangerous electrical panels?

>> No.172018
File: 5 KB, 180x241, misty morn hat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>171005
>>3 safes in my community have been cracked in the past year
Good safes don't get cracked in house's unless you have a very reputable lock smith who moon lights as a cat burglar.
Safe's ( I am not talking about some big box store safe) are designed to prevent someone from breaking into it without a shit ton of noise or to not be hauled off, and to protect in a fire. No safe is water proof, are they would get hot in a fire and explode.
>>I have 8 jars of gold coins I want to hide in my house. The jars are 5 inches around, 10 inches tall
so you're telling us you have $100k - $500k of gold and you will not spend over $2k to protect it?
http://www.mistymorn.com/
This guy says" no one has ever got into one of his safe's" You buy the biggest safe you can afford, sale 410k in gold. You spend $5500 on a hat and he will give you a nice safe to keep it in.. Pic related I got a hat wroth more than my truck.

>> No.172024

>>172018
>No safe is water proof, are they would get hot in a fire and explode.

Eh, not true. Many safes offer complete water proofing. some are even designed to float, yes....float....a floating big metal safe. lol Anyway, others have pressure relief valves to allow out-gassing. some even have settings for altitude changes on airplanes.

>> No.172066

>>172024
Aren't they digital? Which is a whole set of problems,

>> No.172071

>>172066
They are usually both digital and mechanical. Meaning if the battery dies you can use other means like a key and standard combination to open them. The digital part is only for easy quick access, not for security purposes id est.

>> No.172077

1. Sell the coins
2. Stop watching Glenn Beck
3. Invest the coin profits in oil, helium, lithium or some other useful metal that's in short supply

>> No.172104

>>172077

>helium
>useful metal

nigga what you smokin? helium is a GAS not a METAL

retard

>> No.172110

melt coins
mold crown
never take crown off
never have to worry

>> No.172113

>>172110

:D

>> No.172118

>>172077
>>172104
Best argument for the Oxford comma yet.

>> No.172122

>>172104
>Jupiter and Saturn full of liquid metal helium

http://berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2008/08/06_helium.shtml

>> No.172123

>>172122

on earth, its gas, and will never be metal.

Under Earthly conditions, helium is a colorless, see-through, electrically insulating gas. But under the kinds of pressure and temperature found at the centers of Jupiter and Saturn, the researchers found that helium turns into a liquid metal, like mercury.

>> No.172124

>>172123
>generalization got proved wrong
>strawman arguments EVERYWHERE

>> No.172130

>3 safes in my community have been cracked in the past year
Yeah where did you hear that, CNN?

>> No.172131

Why do you have 8 jars of gold coins?

Gutting a console sounds like a good idea, but make sure it's a piece of absolute shit, so no one else wants to steal it.

>> No.172133

>>172131

I doubt even roody-poos would steal a 1980's era console TV. Those things weigh like 100 pounds and are worth nothing at all.

>> No.172135

Buy a large plant. A BIG plant, with a BIG pot.

Hide your coins in bags at the bottom of the pot.

Who steals houseplants? No one, that's who. The worst case scenario would be a thief knocking it over to get at something and finding your coins in the debris, but you can probably avoid this by putting the plant somewhere it's not in the way of anything.

>> No.172137

>>172135
Oh, I thought of another one. This is really good.

A false bottom cat litter box.

>> No.172138

>>171005
why don't you turn the jars on their sides then put the in the fish tank. Then you'll need just 5" of gravel.

>> No.172142
File: 39 KB, 380x349, 1286654689-2079[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Most aquarium decorations are hollowed out. So buy something big enough and hide coins inside, without a jar or anything. Gold doesn't rust or anything and is safe for fish and water.

>> No.172143

Buy several large bits of wood for bookshelves.
Hollow out one of them.
Mount them all, put books / shit / etc on them
Sounds pretty good to me, lots of good ideas in the thread though

>> No.172144

Oh, or read this for more suggestions.
http://ebookspro.net/?p=68719

>> No.172147

>>172142
You can also get poisonous fish to act as guards.

>> No.172150

>>171005

This, just be sure to use more than one or it will fall down.

http://blog.makezine.com/2011/03/11/make-projects-doortop-stash/

>> No.172153

>>172147

>giant fucking aquarium
>decoration filled with gold at the bottom
>decoration covered in something sharp, like broken glass that will slice your hand open on contact
>piranhas in the tank

Bulletproof.

>> No.172157

I have a large newel post at the top and bottom of my staircase, using a large spade bit and an extender I drilled out a nice deep hidey hole then made a small screw hole to keep the post top on which I then filled with putty and painted over a couple of weeks later, I've got a sizable stash in those things now.

>> No.172158

>>172153
I think you mean baby sharks

>> No.172170

get real drunk and let your gf shove the coins up your ass 1 by 1.

will be real safe

>> No.172178

>>172170
Unless the buglers beat the shit out of him.

>> No.172179

>>172170
how was this not the first suggestion

>> No.172180
File: 484 KB, 200x149, 1331148473954.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>172178
>beat the shit out of him

>> No.172191
File: 258 KB, 1928x1468, publ.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>172178
>

>> No.172192

Tried under a floor tile? Even better if it's a tile under something like the fridge.

>> No.172299

paint cans? take a page from Rant, hide all the coins individually under the wallpaper over your headboard then mark the spots with your dirty, black-balled boogers.

>> No.172315

Try not to hide valuables inside things that are commonly stolen... like speakers.

>> No.172321

so what happens to op if he bumps his head and can't keep an eye on his "hidden in plain sight" crap?

>> No.172326

What was that film or series where they were searching for gold and it turned out it was the "fake" gold in the guys fishtank?

>> No.172330

cut fucking notches on the top of your doors. no one looks at the top of doors.

>> No.172349

>>171049

A fake sewage standpipe from floor to ceiling. Also, you could try a floor safe under the furnace. It's a PITA to get to and few would think to look underneath. If you have a short wall, you could double it up with concrete blocks and put the jars inside the blocks. If you have a sump pit, you could slide the jars in the pipe leading from the draining tile.

>> No.172363
File: 38 KB, 480x360, redbook_2012_480.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>171711 When you need the gold, just strain the coins out and wash in paint thinner.

Coin Collector in the house.

This idea can work if the coins are either Bullion coins a/or bullion tier coins like low grade (fine grade and lower) a/or common date gold coins.

If the coins have a book value over gold melt prices, then dumping them in paint and washing off paint with paint thinner will destroy the value of the coins, as much as 70% of book prices depending on the damage.

I would suggest to the OP to get a coin guide, preferably the Red Book here (if it's US coins) and a book called Photograde or go to the web here to determine condition.

http://www.pcgs.com/Photograde/

Price coins with a list, and then go to an online melt calculator and determine which coins will be the first coins you sell.

If it's foreign coins (or coins of value), consult your Local Coin Dealer. Many are more than happy to help you out, and at least offer the favor in return by giving them first options to buy the coins, or buy supplies like coin tubes or 2x2 coin flips.

Get an expert opinion or two first before you decide to hide your coins in odd places first. Also, NEVER EVER tell people except for folks you can depend and trust on where your gold is, in case something tragic happens like you are killed or maimed in someway.

There has been strings of violent Home Invasion Robberies as of late where people are being killed in some cases for coin collections. DON'T BE A STATISTIC.

>> No.172392
File: 315 KB, 1350x762, 1313800232938.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>172018
An important thing to point out is that having an uncrackable safe does very little if youre getting beat by a pack of niggers for the combination. Don't listen to these retards telling you to sell them, gold has outperformed all their bullshit suggestions HANDS DOWN. Alternatively sell some of them for their numismatic value and buy bullion. Just bury them in your backyard.

>> No.172397

Buy the box and cover for plug ins and light switches. Place them inside. Or take a section of drywall out of a determined wall and run screws through the studs so that they go through the width of the board. Eg --|||-
then tie a string to the bottles and tie the to the screws. Replace drywall and be secure.

>> No.172561

the lady that used to own our house sewed 100 doller bill into the curtins my sister found latter

>> No.172740

>>171005
If you were so paranoid of where you're living at right now sell some coins and move to a nicer neighborhood

>> No.172805

>>171339
Or anyone who has watched Breaking Bad

>> No.172816

>>172805

I don't watch that show, so I'm in the dark about the reference.

>> No.172875

you could put a false floor in a wardrobe or something. hollowed out books keep them inside a door in your house, in the wall and use a light switch for acess, inside your bed frame. just don't hide them in anything somebody might want to steal or trash if they get into your house.

>> No.172880

>plant a rice field
>sell rice well year after year
>expand your business each year
>finally you control many hundreds of rice fields
>build tiered, sloping castle for yourself with profits from your rice industry
>moat, portcullis, walled courtyard with arrow slits, etc.
>sealed vault with reinforced walls to keep gold in
>adopt many, many orphans to live in your castle
>instill in them a strong social code and concept of honor/shame - 'Bushido'
>train them in the use of medieval siege equipment and japanese medieval arms and armor
>equip them with above (might need to spend some coins here if your rice income doesn't cover it)
>set them to guard your castle as they age
>assign each some rice fields to dispose of their income for personal living expenses
>arrange marriages for them
>their sons inherit their rice fields and weapons
>have a master artisan construct a musical wooden floor in front of your sealed gold vault in the castle
>sleep peacefully in security with beautiful geisha wife

>> No.172885

>>172880
>geisha
>wife

Sure is fucked up, mate.

>> No.172888

>>172885
Sorry I forgot the 'and'.

>> No.174153

>>171005
Have some adjustable kitchen cabinet shelves. Saw a 2" deep kerf on back edge of shelves. Slide coins into kerf. Put shelves back. Load shelves with jelly.

>> No.174198

>>171330
>>Use a fucking bank. Seriously...

>>171681
>>Safe deposit boxes are about as safe as safe can get...

http://blog.mises.org/16433/california-seizing-property-from-safety-deposit-boxes/

As for OP, the only thing I'd add is to hide it in a place and manner that you could recover it after a house fire or earthquake or whatever (ie. a corner of your basement where you know exactly where to dig through debris).

>> No.174202

Not your jars but fuck I lold about a person hollowing out a frozen lasagna and lid with ziplock freezer bag what you want to hide in side the lasagna safe

>> No.174209

put fink in jin

>> No.174251

Buy a large potted plant...bury them in there....

Fish tank would work if you made it more like a vivarium...

I like the 'inside a tv' (or computer/printer etc) idea too. But I think nobody's going to steal your plant.