[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 53 KB, 800x600, mirroredhelmet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
170200 No.170200 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /diy/. I'm a software engineer with aspergers and extreme social anxiety, well known where I work because I do not leave home without a full face chrome motorcycle helmet.

For various reasons I cannot bear to be looked at directly. I am of average appearance, that isn't the issue, it's the feeling of exposure and vulnerability. For me, people seeing my face or even head directly is like being naked for you. I used to wear a custom made reflective mask made from molded plastic. It was smooth and featureless and very mirror-like. The mirror like quality is important, I don't want any identifiable features. I want when people look at me for them to see nothing but a reflection of themselves and the world. Literally nothing of me as an individual.

I understand this is eccentric and most will ignore my request (more on that later) and instead incessantly insist I get psychiatric help as if I have not been attending such sessions for my entire life. Do not try to fix me, instead please simply help me with my project.

In short, I want two things; One, a less bulky full-head one-way mirrored mask, and two, some kind of mobility solution similar to a hoveround or electric wheelchair but enclosed in a relatively featureless amorphous one-way mirrored shell. I am sure it will look very unusual and in a sense be counterproductive as it will attract attention, but it isn't just about being looked at, it's being exposed. I need both so that I can go from my house to the vehicle and from the vehicle into work with a minimum of exposure.

What commercially available device should serve as the basis of the vehcile and what fabrication services could produce the shell and helmet with the properties I described?

Pic related, my current helmet except with a mirrored one-way visor.

>> No.170202

I understand everything about me might frustrate, confuse, annoy or enrage some. For some reason that is a common reaction. I know my quirks can come across as strange or threatening but I assure you I mean no harm to anyone and merely want to live my life in peace, in the manner that I have chosen to live it. Please do not think I am a threat to anyone or that my lifestyle is in any way an attack on or attempt to provoke you. I don't know why it so strongly upsets some people but it does, so there you go.

>> No.170204

Also while the obvious solution for mobility is simply to buy aftermarket one-way mirrored windows and a windshield for my car (and I have) this is not a solution for required job events in large open air venues or conventions where I cannot drive but must mingle with large numbers and walk great distances. While the helmet suffices for this, an enclosed mobile privacy pod would be a huge relief; I could take off the helmet and be separated from others by a barrier that I feel is safe and through which none can see me.

Ever since the idea occurred to me I have become increasingly determined to build it and all I am looking for now is advice on what to build it from, and especially where to get the shell made.

>> No.170206
File: 47 KB, 450x240, japanesemobilitypod.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP, you want something like this. Except with a mirrored cabin I guess.

>> No.170205
File: 35 KB, 610x449, burka afghan women.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

<-- mockery or helpful?

>> No.170207

why not wear a gas mask?

>> No.170208

>>170205

I have considered that but I need the shell to physically resist attempts to intrude into my space and to be mirrored. If it has a specific color or pattern, that's still individualistic and identifiable/attributable to me. It's hard to explain. My ideal self is as nonspecific as possible.

>>170206

That looks ideal! Do they actually sell it anywhere??

>> No.170209

>>170208
>Do they actually sell it anywhere??

Not to my knowledge bro, I think it was just a concept.

>> No.170210
File: 82 KB, 598x517, mysterio.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I found a pic of OP.

>> No.170218

I suddenly find Cobra Commander to be much more sympathetic.

>> No.170223

>>170218

Destro also wore a mirrored mask. Maybe Cobra was just a organization for dudes who felt ostracized from the world.

>> No.170237 [DELETED] 

The 4chan Farm Project

>> No.170244

You could get silver Zentai suit and a segway. Would make you feel exposed, but no one would know who you are.

>> No.170247

>>170223
But Destro's was forced on him. Cobra Commander could take his off, but flipped out if anybody saw him while he was brushing his teeth or whatever.

Eventually he was able to just wear a cloth hood. I hope OP makes that kind of progress one day.

>> No.170250 [DELETED] 

The 4chan Farm Project

>> No.170258

>>170237
>>170250

Please stop spamming this thread.

>> No.170261
File: 695 KB, 1924x1924, uno_bubble.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Create 8 ft diameter mirrored hamster ball, insert fueled up Uno Cycle or Segway and jet around town like a giant pin ball.

>> No.170265 [DELETED] 

The 4chan Farm Project

>> No.170270
File: 73 KB, 500x375, chromeee..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

you can get a chrome tint on your mask not sure how much it will be just ask for a tinting shop where ever you live im sure they can help you like they did this guy...

>> No.170288
File: 25 KB, 504x349, 0-TAM56308_lg..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

another thing you can get just about anything chrome all you need is money and the right guy or gal to do it my friend did it to his semi truck

this isnt the pic of his truck but its similar to it

>> No.170289 [DELETED] 

The 4chan Farm Project

>> No.170291

>>170261
i like your idea best XD

>> No.170301

OP has the makings of a mirror themed supervillain. "How can I be evil, Batman? I am merely a reflection of society. If I seem evil to you it is only because you see in me the evil of society itself"

>> No.170302 [DELETED] 

The 4chan Farm Project

>> No.170304
File: 17 KB, 180x304, 276843_161596390576834_5204921_n..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

hey ummm HilScher i dont know how to say this and maybe you have had it said tou you before but...........
FFFFFuck off

>> No.170312

yeah, going to call this an elaborate troll. The depth of detail gets points, along with the "don't try to fix me" lines. The idea that someone employing a "software engineer" would send them to 'required job events in large open air venues or conventions where I cannot drive but must mingle with large numbers and walk great distances" while they insist on acting like a mirrored spaceman is silly. You would either be unemployable or a telecommuting shut-in.

Anyhow, you probably want a "full face" plastic safety shield, as one might use while working with machine tools, with automotive chrome/mirror tint. Add a deeply hooded draped cloak and become an indistinct shape with no face. And a super-villain.

The enclosure would be a matter of purchasing one of those mobility devices and thinking out the framework you want to support the shape around yourself. Then get quotes from local plastics manufacturing businesses, anyone who does fabrication (check your phonebook, google). They might well be able to affix mylar sheeting to skin over a more solid structure, with more tint-like material along an arc to see through, You might have to go in and deal with them face-to-face, which might be a problem if your problem existed.

>> No.170313

>>170301
Too deep man, too deep.

Also, OP, if you don't listen to this god amongst men, i'm going to hunt you down and spray black paint over your helmet so you cant see shit, and we can't see how evil we are.

>> No.170317
File: 96 KB, 590x787, mirrorman_02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.170319

>>170208

>>If it has a specific color or pattern, that's still individualistic and identifiable/attributable to me

Says the guy who wears a chrome helmet all day.

>> I did this shit when I was 11 and mom smoked in the car.

>> No.170323

Wait... WTF do you do for work that you can get away with this? 'cuz I want that job!

>> No.170347

For OP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0TBZeCgL0E
make this without the fanciness, if you don't want that design. that guy has a blog to get you started with the generals of helmet making.

>> No.170357
File: 388 KB, 1440x810, all-riders.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Become Kamen Rider.

>> No.170390 [DELETED] 

An easier way than clay and forming would be an Iridium visor + paper mache helmet + corresponding iridum paint. Not sure how seamless seamless this would be though.

>> No.170393

An easier way than clay and forming would be an Iridium visor + paper mache helmet + corresponding iridum paint. Not sure how seamless this would be though.

Here's some paints they use for cars
http://www.autolack21-shop.de/X-Dream-Effect-Colors

>> No.170403

>>170323
I'm curious about this as well. I'm a software developer, and a fair amount of my job is helping with BA and sales. I can't imagine doing that yet keeping myself as nonspecific as possible.

>> No.170407

Google encapsulated motorcycle flickr

You need something like this in chrome

>> No.170411
File: 62 KB, 398x511, firesuit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>170200
Sounds like a firesuit would be perfect for you OP.

>> No.170413

Have you considered riot gear?

>> No.170419

there is a pretty reflective fabric called mylar, also look into chroming, they can do it at bike shops(dip things in chrome, or maybe it is similar to electro plating) then polish the shit out of it. You could also try using heat(propane torch or the oven) to melt plastic mirrors(make a plaster mold of your head, then melt the mirror over it, use a dremel to cut out the eyes and nostrils and mouth, add a one way mirror to the eye holes). there are also metal smiths who make armor for people who do reenacting of medieval battles, if you had a full suit of metal, you could chrome the whole thing, use a real thin gauge of metal so it is lightweight. BTW, your helment visor doesn't appear to be mirrored?

>> No.170421
File: 142 KB, 1024x768, vidocq01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Reminds me of the mask the Alchemist wears in the movie Vidocq.

>> No.170424
File: 128 KB, 465x327, daft-punk-helmet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

badass, motherfucker

>> No.170427

>>170411
http://www.soviet-power.com/detail.php?pid=1194

>> No.170452
File: 54 KB, 600x1172, silverpaintguy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Quick. Dirty. Effective.

>> No.170477

>>170421

Yes, this is more or less what I had before the helmet.

>>170411

That looks promising. I'll do some research on this.

>>170323

I get away with it because I have done a great deal while working here not only to endear myself to my boss but to make myself indispensible. His operation as it is right now literally would not function without me.

>> No.170481
File: 81 KB, 600x532, p50_prototype[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>170477
paint this car and put oneway mirrors as windows, done!

also totally aquireable.

but i hope that you know that being the only person in a reflective capsule in the world, would make you stand out, and say more about your person than just wearing normal clothes.

>> No.170482

>>170481
>but i hope that you know that being the only person in a reflective capsule in the world, would make you stand out, and say more about your person than just wearing normal clothes.

Yeah of course. It isn't so much being the center of attention that I have trouble with, it's exposure. A lot of people relentlessy come back to assuming it's an attention thing because that's a common disorder but it isn't that. People can stare at me all day and I won't care if there's a barrier that I know for certain only reflects everything back at them and they can't see me through it.

>> No.170483

>>170482
then that car is your go to vehicle. peel p50, i think its quite cheap as well

>> No.170488

>>170483
Needs to put me at eye level with other people or at least as high as a wheelchair and it must be electric so it can be used indoors.

>> No.170636

burka?

>> No.170638
File: 19 KB, 280x390, SNN0205STIG-280_1117602a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

are you sure you're a dev?

>> No.170661

Troll or not, this is a fun concept.

I think if I were working on this project, I'd build something like >>170206
It would be pretty straightforward. Take a mobility scooter's rear wheels and motors and use them as front wheels and just re-use the controls as-is. Rear wheel is just a simple swivel, and you mount a hinged, aluminized bubble shell on the front. You'd need one of those tank-style steering scooters of course, but those are pretty common.

>> No.170666

>39 posts and 14 image replies omitted. Click Reply to view.

AND NOBODY POSTED DAFT PUNK?

I am dissapoint, /diy/

You could've totally pulled it too, OP, if you hadn't been just a troll

>> No.170670

I think you should keep the motorcycle helmet and learn to drive a motorcycle.

>> No.170671

>>170666
see
>>170424

>> No.170692
File: 9 KB, 244x214, Thomas.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysV00ki9ygI

how does it feel knowing that the helmet only protects you head from frictional injuries and if i wanted to break it all I need is a well placed blow with about 60 psi of force?

>> No.170694
File: 52 KB, 456x306, 35bjas72.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>170671
ah, my bad.

>> No.170701

you may be able to find a paintball mask that suits your needs, i'm sure some come with light cancelling visors that make it seem mirrorish

>> No.170705

>>170692
I swear, they must use condemned convicts in those films. Like "you are sentenced to death....you have the option of dying in the electric chair or dying as a villain in the upcoming Ong Bak 12 film"

>> No.170749
File: 10 KB, 100x114, LOL face.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>170705

>> No.171708
File: 4 KB, 220x220, unnamed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>170200
Op... they make mirrored visores for every motorcycle helmet.

>> No.171719

I feel really bad for you, OP. :(

I hope someday you'll be better.

By the way... do you have anyone in your life?

>> No.171907

>>170424
do it op!

>> No.171910

create a full chrome body suit and go out to fight crime, op!

>> No.171923
File: 1.26 MB, 2000x1312, eyetap317.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>170200
Perhaps you should look into metal masks that were used in the 1600-1800s for hiding extreme facial industries or burns. I forget what they were called, but their appearance can be pretty classy. Many were designed for very rich people like lords and what not, so they had to be

Take some 3d scans of your face, smoothen the mesh out on one side, and send the CAD data to a CNC company, have it milled out of aluminium, and they'll make it no questions asked. Aside from the usual engineering specifications of course. But, the price might be a bit steep.

>> Do not try to fix me, instead please simply help me with my project.
easier to change the hardware than the software now isn't it?

However, why not add hardware to improve upon the software? Why not make your own eyetap and see more than what mere mortals can see?

>> No.171950
File: 72 KB, 640x480, sunabouzu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>171923

Why stop there, he could add binoculars and night vision and air conditioning and a heater.

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/81405/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anxPxKc8tGc

>> No.171953

>>170200
This reminds me too much of Dr. Doom.

>> No.172189
File: 33 KB, 158x279, WICS.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>171950
Ah the ol' desert punk suit, as I live in a hot climate I too have tried my hand at making one of those. Made myself a chilled water t-shirt to keep me cool in the summer, though it broke when my cheap ass pump broke.

>>why stop there?
Binocular and nightvision are probably doable.

Heating and air-conditioning is hard. Heating while easy to accomplish(hurr durr sew insulated nichrome into your clothes) is power hungry.

Air conditioning is also a bit power hungry, but it's hard to accomplish.

Though the military was able to develop the Warrior Individual Cooling System(WICS) that provides 120 watts of cooling power with 35 watts
of input power. Pic related.

It was developed by RIN incorporated and patented, which means it can be duplicated. BRB , building one of these
http://www.rinitech.com/applications_personalcooling.asp

>> No.172201
File: 674 KB, 1384x800, 1321966913160.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>170200
This is your destiny OP.

>> No.172204

>>170200
Wow. This is the saddest thing I have ever read. I don't mean like "bambi's mom died" sad, I mean like pathetic sad. Made worse by the fact that you aren't even trying to remedy your glaring defect, you're indulging in it and trying to waste time and resources to do so. Instead you should just swallow a shitload of pills. Maybe once you reach sweet oblivion you won't be such a terrible excuse for a human being.

>> No.172206

>>170200

OP if you feel vulnerable being exposed with no shell why you don't try to buy a pistol, that way you aren't vulnerable anymore.

>> No.172215
File: 12 KB, 400x287, destro cobrathon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

At least you'll look cool hosting the Cobra-thon, op.

>> No.172235

switch it up, maybe wear a cape or a trench coat.

>> No.172236

mix it up! instead of hiding your face, just change your appearance with a variety of costumes. You could be a faceless motorcyclist one day, maybe a beekeeper or a robot, or even something that show your face in a muted way, like a cowboy hat with bandana. Just make sure not to look like a bank robber and people will find you eccentric as shit!

>> No.172249

I'll tell ya, since this is DIY and all.

First, find a HoverRound, or a small-footprint fat/sick/old person chair

Then get some insulating foam and a few 2x2 boards.

Construct an analog of you out of the 2x2s and spray foam, but make it bigger than you by a fair amount, say 120%.

sit this analog in the hoverround.

crate the whole thing up and send it to a company to vacuum-cast some clear acrylic sheets over the whole thing, or make a crude mold with plaster-dipped paper and cloth, and send that in to be cast with clear plastic. Make sure they do a clamshell affair, front and back, not side to side. you don't want the seam running down your face.

Send the the plastic shell to a window tinter for a 100% mirrored tint job.

Get it home, trim off excess, mount to your Hoverround with dzus pins or double joint hinges. For extra points mount a small personal DC operated air conditioner to keep your inside air cool and dry.

for extar-awesomeness, build a HUD with small LCD screens and 360 cameras, and a vocal amp with voice modulation with a Ruby 9v guitar amp and a toy darth vader mask.

You'll look like a cool art installation and everyone will try to derive some sort of deep meaning out of you.