[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Maintenance is complete! We got more disk space.
Become a Patron!

/diy/ - Do-It-Yourself

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 58 KB, 1000x1000, chrome-plated-brass-brasscraft-shut-off-valves-g2cr19x-c1-64_1000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
1681108 No.1681108 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

I want to make something that will thread onto the top part of a standard angle valve. I can't figure out what thread size and thread pitch the smaller diameter part is.

I want to buy a tap but first I need to find out the size I need.

Does anyone know? I have a large tap and die set, but I don't have the right size that will fit.

>> No.1681114

I think it's 3/8 x 24 tpi? Not sure. It's definitely not tapered.

>> No.1681119

Why not buy a 1/2” x 3/8” angle stop and just compare the threads to the little gauges they have in the hardware section of Lowes or Home Cheapo

>> No.1681120

3/8 compression. So 24 threads per inch. The angle of the threads is more severe, too. So best to just buy a die.

>> No.1681127

I want to machine a part with a knurled top and at the bottom, a hole that has the same thread pitch, so I can thread it on top of the angle valve. I'm also going to put a little rubber gasket in the hole, so it will seal the water.

I do a lot of plumbing jobs at work, and a lot of the times, replacing the angle stop is not feasible because the water valves that shut off the water to the angle stop do not hold and requires shutting off the mains, which management do not want me to do.

Many times, the angle valve does not hold 100%, but it's slowed down the water enough where I can just cap it temporarily while I work on the faucet or whatever it's hooked up to.

>> No.1681129

So, what I'll need is a bottoming 3/8 x 24 bottoming tap? Not sure why my tap and die set wouldn't have one, that seems like a very common size.

>> No.1681131

Are you talking about a 3/8 compression cap?

>> No.1681133


Yea, but I'm going to machine one that's a lot larger in size, so I can thread it in a lot easier with a knurled handle and I want to make 2 of them for hot and cold. I just wasn't sure about the size

>> No.1681134
File: 15 KB, 425x425, 19134907-57FF-4A49-AFE6-7EBF7298A7E4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]


>> No.1681137

wtf just use a crescent wrench or channellocks

>> No.1681139


I've been using these, but like I said, I want to make something that's a lot easier to use. With this cap, I have to put PTFE every time around the threads.

With what I have in mind, I will not have to. It'll be like a short screwdriver.

>> No.1681179

Ok, turns out it's not 3/8 x 24. I have this tap size and it's a lot smaller than the angle valve. It's even larger than my 1/2 x 13 tap.

>> No.1681192

Ok, just found out it's 9/16" x 24

3/8 must be the ID

>> No.1681215

What is it you'd like to accomplish
If it's a temporary cap, one braided supply 3/8 compression by 1/2" Fip and a 1/2" galvanized plug will do. Also 75% of old stop valves can be rebuilt with the stem from a new brasscraft in the yellow box.
The plumber

>> No.1681220


Yeah, there's several ways to accomplish it, but with my idea, it'd make it quicker and easier. The knurling I'll put on will make it so that you can just hand tighten to make a water tight connection, and not need to use a crescent.

It'll also be easier to thread in as it's one piece, and be a lot more ergonomic to thread in.

I'm thinking it'd be 3" long, not sure what material to use yet. I don't think aluminum would cut it. I'm thinking brass.

>> No.1681224

Once again
What is it youre trying to accomplish?
Adding a secondary shutoff? That's easy get a 3/8 by 3/8 straight stop valve. You can use those chrome hard tubes with some Tru Blu. Tru Blu on the compression ferrulle and it won't leak
The plumber

>> No.1681231
File: 57 KB, 1000x1000, s-l1000[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

cut a tight fitting rubber or plastic disk to fit into the cap
this will seal the end with pressure over the opening
use a socket that fits the cap with pic related to hand tighten the cap
- one socket and spinner for as many caps as you want to use -

>> No.1681244


I'm a plumber for a large hotel and what I'm trying to make is going to be another tool I'll have in my tool box for when the need arises. There's been so many times where I've had issues and I've always told myself if I had this tool, it'd make this job easier.

After years of thinking about it, I got into machining as a hobby and now I have the tools necessary to make one.

>> No.1681247


If I need to replace a faucet and the angle stop doesn't shut off all the way and I have little time to do it, this tool would make it much easier. I've been just using a 3/8" brass cap all this time, but what I'm making would make it a lot easier.

>> No.1681248


This is a good idea

>> No.1681260

I'm at home resting right now so I don't have access to any caps, but the socket will be a 9/16" or 5/8" - I'm not sure which.

>> No.1681267

That's cool I guess if they're too cheap to buy a 3/8 by 3/8 braided line or a compression cap or one of the thousands of other ways to cap an angle stop without flooding the place like a retard

>> No.1681753
File: 235 KB, 756x3025, 20190912_172043.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

So far this is what I came up with. Now I just gotta find a rubber piece to make a gasket out of and place it inside the threaded hole. And test it.

>> No.1683058

You need to patent that if it works. Nice job.

>> No.1683062

Go to a smaller hardware store, mom and pop place, they'll lead you right to the o-rings. Box stores will probably have them too, but you'll have to ask three people where they are. Buy a couple different sizes, then a couple extras once you find the right size.

Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.