[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 1.64 MB, 2576x1932, hose shit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1646910 No.1646910 [Reply] [Original]

>hydraulic line leaking for power steering
>too gay and poor for new line
>spend 10 dollars on hose clamps, JB weld, and flex tape
>fag it up

Is it going to fix the hose? They are just hairline cracks, but the line was pissing out a bottle of steering fluid every two days.

>> No.1646911

Of course it isn't going to "fix" it. At best it'll be a patch, who knows how long it'll hold?

>> No.1646912

>>1646911
Lol well what is the psi in these things?

>> No.1646913

I say it will work for awhile, depending on the fluid it could rot hose out tho.

>> No.1646916

>>1646913
I sprayed soapy water on it and there was just tiny bubbles in two spots. I am just hoping it will last 6 months. Driving with no power steering makes me feel like I'm taking a dump and having a stroke at same time.

>> No.1646917

>>1646916
I also cleaned it with caustic soda solution then washed it with soapy water after. So it was pretty squeeky clean. I don't really give a fuck just thought you guys would get a laugh out of it.

>> No.1646957

>>1646910
>all those floppy flextape folds
Jesus Christ anon what the fuck? At least wrap the shit on tight. You'll be lucky if it lasts a week.

>> No.1646985

>>1646957
It kept slipping so I just mashed it on there. Fuck it man.

>> No.1647006

>>1646910
It wont hold, itll fail the second you start driving, if not the second you turn the car over.

>> No.1647008

>>1646910
>>spend 10 dollars on hose clamps, JB weld, and flex tape
This is why you are poor and retarded. You "felt" like you "had" to "fix" it right now so you wasted your own time and money. Never going to make it

>> No.1647011

>>1646916
The trick to driving without power steering is to only turn the wheel while in motion. Makes shit a LOT easier.

>> No.1647059

>spent $10 to "fix" a line that could have been built at a hydraulics shop for $15 in 10 minutes
>will be down $25 when it blows in a week
I think I figured out why you're poor, but why you're gay is still a mystery. Ask the counter staff at the hydraulics shop about it.

>> No.1647112

So it lasted about 2 hours and it punched through the top and squirted out worse than your mothers. Ordered a new high pressure line for 40 dollars. It was worth a shot.

I think it would work on a rad hose, but there is just too much pressure for power steering line.

>> No.1647124

>>1647112
Watched one of my mechanics use plastic ziploc bags and duct tape to patch a coolant hose long enough to get back to the shop 20mi away. It was a big blow out on the hose too, like a couple inches straight cut. Not sure if boomer guy ever made it.

>> No.1647132

I'm gay btw if that matters.

>> No.1647156

>>1647011
Modern rack and pinion steering will fuck up without the pump pressure. Replacing a line is a hell of a lot cheaper than a whole steering system.

>> No.1647177

>>1647112
>spends $10 to not fix a $40 part
Jesus anon. I know why you're poor, it's because you're retarded.

>> No.1647321

>>1647177
If you don't try, you will fail 100% of the time.

>> No.1647330

>>1647321
Something like that isn't a thing you try on. If you're going down the road and that fails, you can kill yourself or someone else.

>> No.1647331

>>1647330
I've been driving without power steering for months anon. Try not being a skinny girly boy.

The good part is that the rack and pin still works. Hydraulic line arrives in 2 days.

>> No.1647544

>>1647124
A trick for this situation is to run with the coolant cap off. If the system doesn't pressurize shitty patch jobs are less likely to leak. You may have to stop and top off but you should be able to limp to some where you can do a proper fix.

>> No.1647565

>>1647331
Knowing you don't have PS is different than it suddenly going out going around a curve.

Power steering is overrated unless you do a lot of city parking. My first vehicle was a little Ram 50 that had no power steering from the factory. It was pretty fun to drive. Had one of those larger than average steering wheels for leverage.

>> No.1647584

You know you could have just bought a small piece of power steering hose and two brass barb connectors and two hose clamps, then cut out the damaged section, put the barb connectors in and cut the hose to however long you need it, then install that, for probably about the same amount of money it took you to hack together that homosexual abortion.

>> No.1647614

>>1646910
Do you really think that nigger pooky will hold hydraulic pressures? I give it a week.

>> No.1647811

>>1646916
LOL.

Anon ffs go to a pull your own yard and get a 2 dollar hose

>> No.1647812

>>1646917
Also that Lucas power steering stop leak is the tits.

>> No.1647813

>>1647059
Go to a shop where everyone all day is handle black hose.

>hey bros am i a ghey?

>> No.1647814

>>1647330
Nah. If your moving you hardly notice

>> No.1647816

>>1647565
>ftw 62 Chevy pickup
>but I need a 10" GT steering wheel
>fuck.
>can only go straight without summoning my inner gladiator

Welp

>> No.1647848

Op here, so apparently there is a leak in my resevoir coolant tank so I had to order a new one of those as well, it comes with a sensor that I'll need. 150 bucks down the toilet at this point, talking to the junkyard guy about trading this piece of shit in for a old truck since I'm too fucking fat to crawl underneath a car. This car is absolute aids. I bought it for 500 bucks so that's why I hate putting money into it, but it's got a nice paint job and engine. Yesterday I grinded off all the surface rust and hit it with spray paint, it blended nicely. Going to sell it to some retarded teenager for 1000 hopefully but it's 20 years old at this point. Pretty sure I should kill myself inside it.

>> No.1647852

>>1647848

So wait a minute, you paid $500 whole dollars for a car, AND IT NEEDS WORK????

Goddamn...thanks trump.

>> No.1647854
File: 161 KB, 1280x782, oldsmobile-intrigue-red.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1647852
I bought it because my old cars headgasket went. Basically I buy cars off my buddy at the junkyard, drive them around for a bit till they break, then sell them back to him. It beats paying tons of insurance on a new car. But at this point I'm so tired of working on cars. Might actually kill myself. Here is a picture. I don't like using old parts because they will just rot out again. I rebuilt the coolant system entirely except for the cross over gaskets because they are underneath the exhaust. I actually do love this car but like I said it's 20 years old. Still runs good and looks good though.

>> No.1647858

>>1647848
>Op here, so apparently there is a leak in my resevoir coolant tank so I had to order a new one of those as well,
This is actually a situation where a plastic-compatible epoxy and a strip of fiberglass tape would have worked instead of buying a new reservoir. Permatex plasticweld is good for plastic.
But you'd probably have fucked it up anyway by not preparing the surfaces or something, since you thought slathering JBweld on that nigger rigged hose fix was going to help.

I bought my car for $500 also, about 10 years ago, and I know quite a bit about african-engineering.

>> No.1647863

>>1647858
The coolant system is a reverse flow, so it pressurizes the reservoir tank. It's absolutely aids. They did mass recalls on them for coolant problems which is why I rebuilt the entire coolant system. When I was fixing it a couple months ago the coolant level sensor fried somehow, I couldn't find any anywhere, tried lordco, online, amazon. Then I found out the sensor comes with the reservoir tank. So that's 2 reasons just to buy a new one. Plus it will look nice.

>> No.1647872

>>1647854

Man, but still, you'd expect a better quality car that you got from your drug dealer that he got from a junkyard.

>> No.1648102

>>1647614
Most people underestimate pressures required in hydraulic actuators of all types.
Hell, running your finger across a tube looking for a pinhole leak can inject that shit into you after punching a painless near invisible hole through your skin

I remember a lot of power steering systems can get over 300 PSI during a turn with resistance

>> No.1648157

>>1647854
I used to have a 2000 Intrigue. That car is notorious for being a piece of shit. I bet your overflow is fine and you're leaking coolant from your coolant crossover pipe gaskets. Gotta raise the engine for that and then you'll probably discover your rear intake manifold leaks oil. And you better hope your water pump doesn't go out because it has some gay proprietary setup. It basically won't seal the cooling system properly when you use an aftermarket water pump. Glad I got rid of mine; fuck that piece of shit.

>> No.1648214

>>1648157
Doing any component work on these late 90s+ FWD cars is a fucking nightmare. It's clear the designs are meant to bolster money for dealer garages. There is usually less than 2 inch clearance between that side of the engine and the shock tower.

Fucking junk.

>> No.1648250

>>1648214
>It's clear the designs are meant to bolster money for dealer garages.

Bullshit. Modern cars are so tight because cars that are smaller are better if everything else is the same. If dealers and properly equipped garages can work on a vehicle then there is no conspiracy just because you can't do every repair with your Leatherman.

>> No.1648280

>>1646912

the return line would be ambient pressure, the pressure line on an 80's system ?saginaw? would be ~800psi.

>> No.1649059

>>1646910
it would barely have cost twice that much to just replace the line, and you're still going to have to do that after wasting your time with this niggerrigging. why the fuck did you not just actually fix the problem?

>> No.1649064

>>1646957
He probably put it leghtwise along the hose, lmao.

>> No.1649096

>>1647854
>Basically I buy cars off my buddy at the junkyard, drive them around for a bit till they break, then sell them back to him.
Well then do that and lower you expectations. If you want to get more use out of it, then put some money and work into it. Fun fact: Wife (then g/f) had KIA POS when we met. Had been service by used car dealer many times, they just kept throwing shit ass junkyard engines and transmissions at it instead of repairing the problems. Eventually it died and she abandoned it because they refused another warranty service and it wasn't paid for. Introduced her to 1970's chevy/gmc truck master race. It blew a head gasket because former owner was complete asshole who had not torqued the old heads, which he put on the old gaskets, when he sold it, because he wanted to sell the nice parts separately (not that he told us this, he also disconnected the brake warning light which resulted in an accident). Took me many moons to source the OEM heads and have them machined (the good machine shop is not the fast machine shop). Meanwhile, bought $650 ford explorer from negros because cheap and figured it would last 3 months and we could sell it. Turned out I had to do some work on it... and I just kept going. water pump fan clutch radiator, wheel bearings front and rear, changed dif oil and trans fluid, window motor plastic bushings (ford people will know), I'd do a little each day, eventually it became her / our main ride, definitely after the heater core replacement / ac recharge. Got it with 166,000 mi on the clock, 5 years later we're passing 230,000 mi. Did a nice job on the pickup too, motor runs like a fine watch, haven't got to the body work yet. Meanwhile I taught her all I know about car repair and now she has a nice related career with 401K and stock options, got her to step out of the crap kitchen job cycle. Moral of story: fix your shit, life is struggle, do productive stuff like a white man should and uncle adolf will smile

>> No.1649107

>>1648250
>If dealers and properly equipped garages can work on a vehicle

I bet you thought you were smart when you agreed with what the guy said.

It's the truth. Modern cars are not meant to be worked on by your average shadytree that doesn't have a box full of special pullers, leverage bars and gadgets to deal with the over-complicated designs.

>> No.1649109

>>1649107

You missed the point. He said that modern tech is that way to make money for repair shops. I said that modern tech is the way it is simply because it is optimum, and it's only a side effect that you need proper equipment. Do you not see the difference or are you simply slow.

>> No.1649113

>>1646912
Spin the wheel to the limiter (oh yeah some cars don't have that lol) and the pressure will be TOO DAMN HIGH whatever the rating for the system.

>> No.1649114

>>1649109
>because it is optimum

For whom? The user or the company to recoup costs?

>> No.1649131

>>1649107

They're not meant to be worked on by dealerships either. Dealership mechanics are probably even dumber than most independent shops, and maybe even some shadetree mechanics.

Dealers got all the tools, but they don't know where they are, or how to use them, they're just in some box in the corner nobody ever bothered to open if they have them at all and they just half ass everything.

I had to get a tire sensor pressure monitor replaced on a car a while ago, i had to go to two dealers, because the one I originally went too didn't realize the sensors had to be programmed after they're installed, and they didn't have the tool. The dealer they sent me to had the tool but didn't know how to use it, i had to look it up on youtube and show them.

>> No.1649132

listen OP YOU are Cunt .. ok .. dont dont here ok .FBI WATCHING !

>> No.1649140

>>1649131
You still paid them, didn't you?

That's the point. Just as an example, take something simple like the drive pulley for a Ford PS pump. You need a puller for this now when it used to be 3 or 4 3/8" bolts. There is no need for that at all. Sure, you can go to Advance and borrow one as long as you buy the overpriced part there but there is no design advantage to this new system.

Back to topic, despite there being few components under the hood, they pushed everything further to the tower to the point where you need to jack the engine up to do the simplest tasks like changing a water pump or timing belt. There is no design advantage to putting more weight to one side of the car. It only serves to make things as frustrating as possible.

I'm not saying it's impossible--I still do my own work for the most part--but they are definitely thinking the people working will have lifts at their disposal.

>> No.1649144

>>1649140

if you're serious about doing your own work, you can get twin post lifts for about 1500 bucks. you can spend more than that in one trip to the dealer, so it's just a question of having a place to put it. and a little shed on a concrete pad might run you 2000 bucks.

>> No.1649167

>>1649140

No, actually, I bitched up a storm and they eventually charged me like half what they usually do, then I called the next day and bitched even more and they refunded me everything.

>> No.1649191

>>1646910
depends on the pump but they can reach 2500psi in the line. my bet is it'll fail pretty fucking quick if not instantly

>> No.1649192

>>1647124
coolant isn't anywhere near the amount of pressure brake or steering lines have

>> No.1649311
File: 25 KB, 600x450, anime-girl-sad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fuck, op here, I replaced the line it was fucking retarded, took me 4 hours to get the bottom end in and then 2 hours to screw it in. I had about 2.5 inches of room to turn the wrench and I had to use a stubby. So I got the wife to twist the line until it was just right, then I had to thread it with two fingers, once it was tight I could only get 1/4th a turn out of the wrench and only a stubby wrench would fit, so I had to hold the wrench with my pointer and index finger, as if my middle finger was my thumb. This is the gayest fucking shit I have ever done, but I saved myself 400 bucks.

Moral of the store is, fuck hydraulic lines and mechanics are gay retards.

>> No.1649313

>>1649109
>optimum
t. never designed anything ever

>> No.1649314

>>1649096
I'm pretty happy with this one. After rebuilding the coolant system everything except the rad, and doing the power steering, she runs butter smooth. I'm glad I replaced the hydraulic line but this is probably the most retarded job except head gasket. I had to go from the passanger side serpantine belt, thread this fucker through like a piece of spaghetti and then bolt it to the bottom of the steering wheel, through a 2.5 inch hole. Fucking gave myself ptsd because I'm pissing myself because I can't even move my arms and I'm waiting for this clunker to fall on me. But it's all good now.

>> No.1649317

>>1648157
The after market water pump can't push the air through because it's too weak, so you have to burp the fuck out of the coolant lines there is a burp valve on the rad. I checked my cross over gasket, shits fine.

>> No.1649328

>>1649311
>mechanics are gay retards.

You mean engineers who build this shit in a computer.

>> No.1649331

>>1649140

>You need a puller for this now when it used to be 3 or 4 3/8" bolts. There is no need for that at all.

a taper is a whole fuck of a lot easier to mass produce than 4 threaded holes

>> No.1650261

>>1649317
There should be three gaskets, not just one. Good luck checking the hard to reach ones, lol.