[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 168 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1646123 No.1646123 [Reply] [Original]

Can you take out the motors of angle grinder or vacuum cleaners (like 2k watts) and use them to power a diy go kart?
I wonder about the throttle control

>> No.1646126

>>1646123
What do they use for drills? Mosfets, right? You would need a beefy fucker. How about some of the more powerful tools like the DeWalt 60V stuff or Makita 36V. Maybe even the Milwaukee M18 chainsaw because those switches have a whole lot of current going through them @18V. Some of those are variable speed and I imagine you could find the parts list and grab a switch from off the shelf.

>> No.1646127

>>1646123
>>1646126
Like the Anon above me said it's possible, but you will want to play with gear ratios to ease the start up. It will help save the battery life and the motor from burning up in the long run.

>> No.1646132

>>1646127
Curious about this but is brushless easier on startup? That’s the main thing I notice about brushes v. brushless, no sparks on the brushless when starting and stopping and I assume that means lower heat and longer motor life.

>> No.1646139

>>1646123
>vacuum cleaners
Those need strong airflow, so no.
>angle grinder
Maybe, if you have like proper gears.
Better get proper motor with high torque, low rpm.
>I wonder about the throttle control
If you're going to use mains motors, it is pretty easy. Voltage is high, so current is low (less than 16A in case of europe), Which means you can use IGBT transistors to control the motor, with proper PWM with current limiting function.
If you're gonna using designated motor, chances are it is BLDC, so you would need special controller, like they have on e-bikes. They are full bridge three phase drivers, with MOSFETs usually.
If you're gonna make it ghetto style - you may use old toaster or heater as resistor.

>> No.1646150

>>1646139
>>vacuum cleaners
>Those need strong airflow, so no.
Drive fast. Problem solved.

>> No.1646155
File: 109 KB, 800x450, idc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1646123
There is a lemons style race for cheap diy carts, it's called Power Racing Series (because they cant legally call it powerwheels(tm) racing anymore.
Dude brought a shopping cart with 1 wheel drive via a dewalt drill one year and raced it. It was a huge hit with the crowd even if outclassed by all the 'real' carts

>> No.1646323

>>1646132
I think its going to be the longer inrush of current on the windings that will potentially hurt the life span of the motor.

desu when I was in school we barely touched on this cause its not relevant to what I do. I'm not sure what the DC version of this is, but in the AC side of things we consider it locked rotor current... like it more or less shorted out for a fraction of a second before it starts turning. With putting something like a cordless drill motor with 200+lbs of gokart and person on it it might not even turn unless its geared very very low.

>> No.1646681

>>1646123
>>1646155
I have seen cordless drills run trikes and minibikes, the trigger is the throttle.

>> No.1646691

>>1646323
Cordless drill motors have mad torque on startup though. If you get a similar motor but upsized, what would be the issue? I thought the immediate torque of electric motors is what makes Teslas turn into rocket ships.

>> No.1646705

>>1646691

with DC motors it is trivial to limit the current so that the motor does not overheat if stalled. Or you can drive it hard and have a temperature sensor, or combine the two. I'm sure something like a Tesla looks at every thing that can be sensed.

If I were serious about this I'd go the usual route of looking at used treadmill motors and the associated drivers, because they are relatively cheap and widely available, and are more appropriate than an angle grinder motor or a vacuum cleaner motor, mainly because of size.

What I would wonder about is safety. You don't want to be strapped in next to a lithium battery when it turns into a blow torch. Pull up videos of them igniting; it's a matter of seconds from smoke to hellfire.

>> No.1647173

>>1646123
You can but there wouldn't be much go the cart.

>> No.1647853

>>1646155
LOL.

That banana dude made them put a fucking height limit on there.

PROTIP: the rules state 24v but unlimited motors and amperage is not in the book.

>muh forklift cart

Vid related https://youtu.be/-xitMWUfeLk