[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 46 KB, 474x353, FRAMING OSB WALLS.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1597537 No.1597537 [Reply] [Original]

why do americans use expensive OSB boards when they can use chipboards with ZIPtm systems?

>> No.1597538

>>1597537
>chipboards with ZIPtm systems

that way you can airtightTM your house for less

>> No.1597548

>>1597537
Because OSB is cheaper in America.

>> No.1597553

i have a feeling that when you talk about "big developers" or big development firms they are hardly ever local. and only do bare minimum to meet local building codes.
These companies, like the british army during the revolution, have little to no knowledge of the land and its climate, becuase they are to focused on the bottom line.

>> No.1597555

>>1597553
I have a feeling, because there are four posts but only three posters, that you are a samefagging to kick your trolling thread in the ass and give it a bump so others can jump in that don't realize how you start a new thread just like this every day. Come on dude, can you try something new already? This "do Americans even...?" stuff is getting old. Do you have no imagination?

>> No.1597596
File: 125 KB, 450x338, repairs_01[1].gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1597537
That is not primarily a picture of chipboard, it is a picture of water damage. Like this one.

>> No.1597622

>>1597555
Next he'll post "but I love america! Apple pie, monster trucks with v8 engines, and big titties!"

>> No.1597651

>>1597596
delet this before I call parliament

>> No.1597677
File: 926 KB, 900x900, bob_the_serialkiller.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1597596

>> No.1597683
File: 83 KB, 620x410, iu[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1597537
Nobody installs OSB/plywood/chipboard without tyvek. All these photos you keep posting are of contractors either not finishing a job, or the result of storm damage that wasn't repaired before rot set in.
>It's the materials that matter
No, that's a gross oversimplification. You can blow your load on MATERIALS all you want, but if they're installed wrong they won't last. Slate shingles? I love them, but nobody in my area knows a damn thing about installing them and it would be a waste of money.
It's the craftsmanship of the work and the subsequent maintenance that is (or isn't) performed to keep the structure in good shape that makes the difference.
Those wooden arches and Temples in Japan that are all made out of wood and standing to this day are still standing because they are constantly inspected, constantly repainted, and cared for by the people that care about them.
The same goes for well-made cedar homes in the Alps. And structures made from brick, plaster, adobe, rammed-earth, concrete, and whatever. They all need maintenance.
Yes, something built well the first time will last longer than something built poorly. But nothing lasts forever. Even the pyramids are is piss-poor shape today because they were left unattended or looted over their long lifespan.

Stop shitting up this board with your garbage posts already.

>> No.1597688
File: 45 KB, 364x368, 1390931295746.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1597683
>Nobody installs OSB/plywood/chipboard without tyvek. All these photos you keep posting are of contractors either not finishing a job, or the result of storm damage that wasn't repaired before rot set in.
>>It's the materials that matter
>No, that's a gross oversimplification.

That is why I dont understand why do you still use expensive and luxurious OSB instead of chipboard(LDF) or if you want to go big(er) - MDF? baka...

>> No.1597704

>>1597688
It's the same reason you make your shitposts out of the lowest possible quality.

>> No.1597715

>>1597683
Imagine this falling on your head haha

>> No.1597721

>>1597596
How much water damage would you have if you used OSB externally instead of brick, faggot?
Enjoy breathing your toxic formaldehyde OSB glue.

>> No.1597724

>>1597721
>How much water damage would you have if you used OSB externally instead of brick, faggot?

it would have melted away

>>1597704
>It's the same reason you make your shitposts out of the lowest possible quality.

serious question, could you build that kind of house with LDF boards and use Tyvek?

>> No.1597726

>>1597688
>ignore 4/5ths of the post
>continue being a faggot
Do you get paid for this or something?
You've posted the exact same goddamn thread 9 times now by my count, and that's not including the other threads you've either made without your trip or threads from others you've shitted up.
You're in every way worse than the 'how to I build an airplane with my recycling' faggots. At least they can be entertainingly dumb.

>> No.1597729
File: 1.45 MB, 1952x2608, stave wood church 1100AD.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1597726
>You've posted the exact same goddamn thread 9 times now by my count, and that's not including the other threads you've either made without your trip or threads from others you've shitted up.

I post exclusively with my name, those are other posters that are housepilled as well - in fact a guy here that posts Stave churches knows more than I and after reading one post of his it clicked with me (kudos to Stave church anon!).

My point is that IT IS the material choice since you know that using LDF would make houses even worse despite Tyvek. craftsmanship is not the problem, you cant make an apple pie that I like (as a big tits V8 muslce car man) without apples.

>> No.1597731

>>1597726
>Do you get paid for this or something?
I'm not sure about the Croation, but I (>>1597721) just do it for spite.

>> No.1597753

>>1597729
I'm not that guy. I give zero shits about what he posted. My house is 300 years old, made of stone and hardwood, and it's solid as the rock of Gibraltar. I don't give a fuck about the content of these threads, but can you PLEASE fuck off. You're pushing what are probably perfectly good threads down the board so you can continually piss your pants about substandard construction methods. Nobody here is going to build a house, and if they do, it's because they're a framing monkey for a construction company.
These threads serve no purpose and all they do is retread the same content over and over.
Yes i mad.

>> No.1597758
File: 12 KB, 480x360, culture.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1597753
>My house is 300 years old, made of stone and hardwood, and it's solid as the rock of Gibraltar.

Ah, a fellow housepilled anon on the board. I salute you sir and I salute your patriotism for being a great american!

>> No.1597769
File: 37 KB, 1052x800, https%3A%2F%2F41.media.tumblr.com%2F2650bfa2ef1f0b4075f6a96ea6370837%2Ftumblr_nyrmuxdb061rdtlkko6_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1597758

>> No.1597780
File: 73 KB, 1000x1100, 1498699165860 (1).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm confused. My house in the US is made of concrete block.
I have only ever seen this osb or whatever, "plywood" used on those huge apartment complexes. Everything around me is built with concrete block. Even the new construction around me is concrete block.

Who is building/buying houses in the US that are 100% plywood? Where are they being built?

And why, for the love of Christ, are these Europeans so obsessed with US construction? Are you implying for a second that the land of the loicense is superior because of that? Someone, anyone, please tell me this isn't another case of jealous Europeans. Please. I want to believe the jealous Europeans thing is a meme, but this is like 10 threads of the same thing.

>> No.1597785

>>1597780
You're completely correct.
It's just SEETHING: Construction Edition.

>> No.1597855

>>1597555
>>1597622
Stay mad mutts, everyone needs to know the truth and shame you faggots for building such shitty ass superficial houses. Actually doing you mutts a favor by exposing what jews have turned your country into.

>> No.1597861

>>1597855
But Anon, you is /diy/. If I were looking into moving, it would be into a house that I'm building. Myself. And I don't need a mere Slavic peasant to tell me what lumber to use, or what siding, or what roofing, it how to wire it... Get it? He's not really helping or showing the guys here anything that matters.

>> No.1597922
File: 256 KB, 640x480, muttbuild1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

All of you ungrateful amerimutts should be thankful for bringing the subject into light. Your houses weren't always built like this. There was a time when real stone, brick, and old-growth timber was used. There was a time where lath and plaster adorned the insides of your homes. No one even knew what the fuck OSB, MDF, or Chipboard was. Houses didn't need to be wrapped in a giant condom and foundations were not McSlabs™. Jews have brainwashed you dumbasses into thinking this is normal—this is how it should be; to think otherwise is to be weird or a tryhard. They have turned your home into nothing but a fucking facade all while enriching themselves from your toil and ignorance. Don't fall for their shit and give them more power, build a proper home for you and your family.

>> No.1597939
File: 82 KB, 960x690, usausausa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1597942
File: 825 KB, 2272x1704, arbys_curly_fires.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1597990

>>1597688
>expensive and luxurious OSB

fucker, OSB is like $6 a sheet for contractors

>>1597688
>chipboard(LDF) or if you want to go big(er) - MDF

literally only place it's code compliant to use those in structure construction is in the interior of attached garages then have 5/8" type X drywall installed over, as a fire break.
-cheap interior trim casings are sometimes MDF too.

>>1597780
>My house in the US is made of concrete block

Florida, or a desert state?

>>1597780
>Who is building/buying houses in the US that are 100% plywood? Where are they being built?

We here in the part of the country where we can get -30 F winter don't build houses with concrete block because we enjoy not freezing to death or having $5000 a month heating bills.

The new build houses here are probably 85% wood, 2x6 sidewalls with r-30 insulation, sheathed with 5/8" bcx plywood and sided with Drivit insulating foam 'stucco' (a German product) or Hardie cementicious lap siding.

Of course not only do we have to build for -30 degree F days, but also summer where the temps get to 100 degrees F and so the name of the construction game is INSULATE! So wood construction gives the best all-around options for maximum insulation to keep the heat in the winter and the cool in the summer.

I've been in concrete block houses built around here in the 1960's, and in both winter and summer, they are just miserable to be inside.

>> No.1598033

>>1597729
Evidently you've never heard of CHEMICAL APPLE PIE!

here's a recipe :
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/15806/chemical-apple-pie-no-apple-apple-pie/

>> No.1598034

>>1597990
He's gonna say something about HURR YOU GOTTA LET UR HOUSE BREATHE BRO IT'S GOTTA BREATHE

>> No.1598038

>>1597596
That wall isn't damaged, it's just got better aeration™! :^)

>> No.1598165

>>1597990
Pretty sure most modern block houses have some sort of stud wall inside of the cinderblock with the insulation in that. A 4" metal stud wall with blown in foam insulation should yield pretty good insulation values. You can fill the holes of the blocks up with vermiculite or Styrofoam beads but that only adds like 2-3 R-value, not really worth it IMO.

>> No.1598168

>>1598165
>cinderblock

I meant concrete block, no one would use cinderblocks to build a home that they hope will last for a few centuries.

>> No.1598276
File: 21 KB, 300x214, framing osb rot apartments.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1597780
>And why, for the love of Christ, are these Europeans so obsessed with US construction?

Because your methods are just bizzare, I mean Im a 2nd worlder and here I am legitimately teaching the most basic stuff about construction to americans (=the most powerfull race in the world), its so totally weird:

1.how can such a strong country have such shit for houses?
2. why arent people rioting about it?
3. how is it normal to accept that a city will be FLATENED if a storm hits!!???

Also Im unironically an apple pie big tits V8 muscle car man and we can honestly learn from each other.

>>1597861
>And I don't need a mere Slavic peasant to tell me what lumber to use, or what siding, or what roofing, it how to wire it... Get it?

look here >>1597922
>All of you ungrateful amerimutts should be thankful for bringing the subject into light. Your houses weren't always built like this.

Im totally not exposing Agenda 21 that wants you to have carboard homes as an apple pie big tits V8 muscle car man patriot and wanting you to start building houses as fortresses in case of the inevitable war against the globalists starts.

>>1597939
GOD BLESS AMERICA

>>1597780
>I'm confused. My house in the US is made of concrete block.

Florida. I salute you crazy southerners for your patriotism!

>>1597990
>We here in the part of the country where we can get -30 F winter don't build houses with concrete block because we enjoy not freezing to death or having $5000 a month heating bills.

what is external insulation.

>> No.1598282
File: 51 KB, 558x424, america_anime.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1598276
>1.how can such a strong country have such shit for houses?
>Im totally not exposing Agenda 21 that wants you to have carboard homes as an apple pie big tits V8 muscle car man patriot and wanting you to start building houses as fortresses in case of the inevitable war against the globalists starts.

seriously, dont you think that there is some alex jones style conspiracy behind those flimsy house? Houses are used as protection in case of a war btw, you burgers are all about prepping...why not prepp your house, our houses can survive tank shells since tank shells cant melt reinforced concrete, can yours?

>> No.1598313

>>1598276
>3. how is it normal to accept that a city will be FLATENED if a storm hits!!???
We've explain this one to you a million times and you just don't get it. Insurance, investment costs that those locals can't afford, and building to survive those "storms" would equate to building a bunker, not a house. And the market won't support the cost a bunker involves. Hence why most of the areas that get flattened by tornados, hurricanes, and so forth tend to be mobile homes and not actual houses.
Unless of course we're discussing California. In which case it's just a matter of them constantly rebuilding homes that shouldn't be in certain areas ever. But they do it anyway because it's profitable.

Anywho, pointing any of this out to you has continued to be fruitless. Modular homes MADE OUT OF WOOD can be made to survive a wide range of climates as well as being comfortable in them all year round. Making a home out of materials not suitable for or compatible with the climate will result in a miserable home. It's the same deal with HVAC. If you build a house in Arizona, it better have a swamp cooler because a heat pump system just won't work. But if you put a swamp cooler in a house that's in a climate that isn't dry it won't accomplish a damn thing.
There are no universal solutions when it comes to home construction. And expensive materials aren't universally better either, especially if the local contractors don't know how to install them correctly.

Anyway, enjoy your shit thread number 735 mister wishes-he-were-half-as-good-as-a-Slovenian.