[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 108 KB, 1601x654, banner-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1549158 No.1549158 [Reply] [Original]

What do you think about becoming a home inspector? Is it worth it? I heard they make pretty good money and you can be your own boss. Is it dangerous and legally complicated? Would an online class suffice? I have done some construction before and know about homes.

>> No.1549159

>>1549158
Bump

>> No.1549175
File: 257 KB, 589x752, shot_of_black.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

When I look at OP's image, as a house painter, I wonder how hard it would be to paint the sashes on those windows to the side of that fucktarded bay up top.

It would be a challenge that I would accept.

>> No.1549177

>>1549158
Bamp

>> No.1549907

Guess nobody knows.

>> No.1550006

>>1549158
I would say it's a terrible job for a perfectionist because you know you're always going to miss at least 5 things. I've owned 11 homes (rental properties) and every one was inspected, and every one missed a bunch of shit. Just the nature of things, you can't be as thorough as you would with your own home.

One example I found last week - I removed the blinds from a window and found a 2 inch gap at the top of the window where they put in the wrong size window then just covered it with blinds so you couldn't see the gap.

>> No.1552029

a couple of choices anon, either path you need license in your state, course of study is pretty straight forward not difficult, lot of code info and understanding the "why" for things like hand rail height, stairs, and GFCI circuiting. course here was at own pace/+/- 4 months 2x's a week, and cost north of $1200usd add liability insurance and few books, advertising materials, etc. Self employed is tough market to crack for client base, need capitol $ to live on while getting client's built. average fee for residential here is $300-450 for <3000sf home, takes about 1 1/2 hour including report write up. Other way is with corp' with several inspectors which are paid commission on fee. Its interesting work though dirty as well, crawling attics and under floors, dangerous also around jack-legged wiring, mold, rodents, stagnant water/sewage....good luck anon

>> No.1552162

>Is it dangerous and legally complicated? Would an online class suffice?
licensing requirements vary by state. you'll probably have to climb ladders and possibly be exposed to mold, asbestos, or other harmful substances.

>> No.1552217

A thing to keep in mind is that contractors, builders, and diy reno's will actively try to pull one over you. They will leave easy to find, easy to fix shit so you can check your boxes and be on your way, so you don't actually find the shit they cheaped out on. They generally know what they did wrong.

>> No.1554456

>>1552029
Hell if I can make 1k a week working only a few days a week for a few hours each time I would be in heaven. hard thing would be getting there though.

>> No.1554465

>>1552217
>"is that window double studded"
>"of course it is mr inspector sir"
>"can you show me?"
>"no sorry drywall is already done"