[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 851 KB, 1000x1924, 1329372746507.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
153877 No.153877 [Reply] [Original]

Not sure if this is quite the best place, but I'd like to do up my room a bit to have that kind of ethereal glow that this one has.
Only without the weed propaganda, or so many stars.
I'd probably need to paint the walls, as they're like, sand colored now (White trim, white roof)Carpet is offwhite. I'd rather have more of a bluish, tranquil oceany, or space-star kinda atmosphere, but they don't make blue glowy stars, so I'm not sure.

What would you guys suggest?

>> No.153885

Ordinary white printer paper (and anything bright white) glows bluish-white under a black-light (UV lamp). So basically just get a black-light (that's what's making everything glow in your pic) and decorate with white and or items on a dark background. Fill some funky shaped bottles with tonic water, the quinine cointained in it glows blue under UV too. Lots of things fluoresce under a blacklight.

>> No.153889
File: 38 KB, 587x440, Romantic-Wood-Lighting-for-Valentine-Decorating-by-Lamp-Art-Design.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The cheapest way to accomplish your goal that would be to run strings of blue christmas lights everywhere, or by making several small lamps like the one pictured here with a blue screen to diffuse the light.

The neatest idea that comes to my mind would be to build long 1"x1" square hollow tubes, with one side of the square a light-diffusing material. Run blue Christmas lights inside the tubes and mount them continuously around the walls of your room up at ceiling height.

>> No.153897

Yup, the blacklights are the way forward, they're good because everything else gets lit up and it's as if light isn't coming from one source. They're cheap and so is the luminescent stuff to go with it. Just don't have them on 24/7 or you'll get a headache.

>> No.154407
File: 8 KB, 267x337, lois_wow youre stupid.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

that shit is goofy as hell OP. JUST SAIYAN.

>> No.154418

I'll admit, OP, I thought you were posting a Minecraft screenshot for a second, what with dat lighting and dem stars-that-kinda-look-like-Glowstone.

Anyhow, are you looking to have your room have this etheral feel 24/7, or just at night?

>> No.154435

That Bob Marley poster is fucking awesome.

>> No.154473
File: 144 KB, 237x344, dumbshit.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Xbox 360

>> No.154480

Depends a bit on the look you are going for during the day.

They sell transparent glow paint that is near invisible unless its glowing (AKA room is dark or blacklight is on).

If you don't care what it looks like during the day just buy the plastic glow stars. I actually have plastic stars in my room and they come in every color imaginable (including blue).

IF you are using blacklights, normal flourescent stuff will glow (a lot of stuff you might not expect). Grab a 5$ UV flashlight off dealextreme when you shop to check stuff out.

I didn't bother with blacklights since I just wanted something interesting to stare at while falling asleep.