[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 24 KB, 500x397, crack028.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
149349 No.149349 [Reply] [Original]

I'm an artist, and I have been for as long as I can remember, blah blah blah. I'm sure you've heard it all before, so I'll spare you my life story. Basically, I've become very interested in street art for the last few years, but as I got my life together, gained responsibility, good grades, and the respect of my parents, I realized I have too much to lose if I get caught. So I need help. As much help as I can get. I have questions, and I need some tips.

1. Is there a way to obtain spray paint without it being traced back to you (without stealing it)?

2. What are some good brands? I'm looking for a brand with a metal ball inside, so I can silence it with a strong magnet if need be

3. What are good places in my my city to meet people who might help me? I live in Portland, if that helps.

4. What are some good ways to hide cans?

Thank you, I really appreciate any and all help you can give me here. If you have any other tips, please apply them here, generously.

>> No.149359

Dude, you're way too paranoid

>> No.149365

>>149359
Yeah, you're probably right. If there are any guides that can help me, please post them. I'm not looking for some bullshit instructable 14 year old toy teaching me shit everyone knows.

>> No.149367

1. steal it also it doesn't matter wtf

2. krylon is fine i think most brands have glass marbles tho

3. no real way to do that

4. put em in yer backpack

you gotta practice on paper for along time first man. once you do want to start doing walls you should just find a rundown area that nobody cares about anyways and then move up to streetside.

>> No.149369

> I realized I have too much to lose if I get caught.

Instead of all that paranoid shit, why don't you ask permission first? Or find something else to do?

>> No.149373

>>149349
you don't really sound like you have that much to lose

just spray paint the wall in your parent's basemen, aka tHa PlaYah's KRiB, aka your room

take a photo if you like the results, paint the wall white and repeat

>> No.149376

#1 - Pay cash for all transactions - dont buy a lot at once. Goto several stores. Walmart, buy a can or 2, lowes, buy another couple, home depot etc...

#2 - Rustoleum, Krylon, all are good. Will be tough to determine who uses a metal ball or not. You could take the magnet with you and test several brands on site to see which has it.

#3 - Check to see if there are any forums listed for your area. Goto local tattoo, graphics artist shops..etc...

#4 - Backpack, loose baggy clothing etc...

If you are super paranoid and just want a quick way to do something you could mix up some paint and thin it down a bit then put it in a couple of super soakers and go to town with it. lol

>> No.149380
File: 29 KB, 339x500, say296.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>149376
Thanks man

>> No.149386

www.stencilrevolution.com

go there and never come back.

>> No.149390

>>149386
Yeah, no. I'm not a faggot

>> No.149397

>>149376
afaik no brand uses a metal ball, they all use marbles from one company

>> No.149399
File: 29 KB, 480x337, MONTANA94.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>149349
krylon has saftey tips now to prevent vandalism..

Are you going to ART or just ruin a wall?

Montana has badass colors... pic related.
they use i think 2 smaller metal balls... hell i think their shop sells can silencers.
They have XL tall cans and pocket sized cans.

Belton cans are good too.

If you're going to just mess up a wall walmart sells $1 cans. also used for practice.

>> No.149417

Hide the can inside a fleshlight.

>> No.149418

You could always do your work on large poster paper then wheatpaste them onto walls. Quicker than making the piece on the spot.

>> No.149420

>>149349
>wants to start tagging
>claims to be an "artist"

>> No.149451

If you are too scared to just go out and start painting walls, you are not cut out to do graffiti in the first place.
>>149349
If your getting into it, why do tagging? Are you 15 or something?
Make some stencils or something to at least seem more artistic.

>> No.149452

> Is there a way to obtain spray paint without it being traced back to you (without stealing it)?
Pay with cash.

> What are some good ways to hide cans?
A backpack.

And seriously instead of being a pussy just find a nice wall in a commercial or industrial district and ask the owners if they'd have anything against you painting it.

That way you won't need a spotter and fast legs.

>> No.149671
File: 23 KB, 294x319, highfive.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone know of a brand of spray paint that is washable? That way I can stencil things around town but unlike the op not be a giant douche and permanent subject someone elses property with something they may not necessarily want.

>> No.149691

1. Look for people who already do graffitti and buy the cans, ask them to buy the stuff you need and you buy from them.

2. I'm from Brazil and I live in Europe, so I have no idea of any brands, but if you get the cans with a metal ball inside, and you need some strong magnets, you can always get old hd's, rip them apart, you'll find really fucking strong magnets, that way the metal ball doesn't go away easily.

3. Sorry.

4. To store is better orgonized boxes or those stands from the store itself, but for something quick, just use a backpack.

>> No.149699

i only know a few ways to hide cans.

"The pizza box method"
>buy a pizza
>eat that yummy fuckin pizza
>get stencils and paint can, put it in.
>carry about horizontal, not vertical
>find wall
>do your magical artistic shit
>pack shit back into box
>walk away

"art folder method"
>buy a big art folder, the one that is about the size of a suit case, but the thickness of a phonebook.
>spray on the sides of it stencilled "LOCAL COLLEGE BLAH BLAH ART DEPARTMENT"
>grab a few sheets of papers, draw some doodles chuck it in as "evidence".
>grab some bigger parts spray random shit on it.
>then put in your stencils and cans.

then of course is the big bulky bagpack that never looks suspicious..

>> No.149721

there is an aerosol chalk that washes off
its basically the same stuff you write on chalkboards with, but in a spray form

>> No.149858

>>149721 there is an aerosol chalk that washes off its basically the same stuff you write on chalkboards with, but in a spray form

LOL, NOPE.

Spray chalk is used for construction applications, like marking measurements, traffic control,, and the like.

>> No.149863

>>149451
Because I find good ways to improvise when I want to make art with unconventional materials. Check out the ballpoint pen face I posted earlier in the thread

>> No.149867

Why not just omit everything before "I've become very interested in street art"?

Then you'd have avoided talking about being an artist altogether.

>> No.149869
File: 490 KB, 449x401, Girls.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I'm an artist, and I have been for as long as I can remember

>graffiti

Yeah. I remember being 15, too.

>> No.149906

>Graffiti artist who's been arrested multiple times for vandalism, trespassing, felony evading and blah blah blah...

If you're asking 4chan how to start doing graffiti, you shouldn't be doing it. The streets will eat you kid. Especially big cities like Portland.

>> No.149909

>>149349
I recommend mocking up a few things on paper then presenting them to business owners/building owners and ask to paint it on their buildings. Depending on your style and level of art, you may be surprised how many will allow it. Simply asking will actually help your rep for their decision.

>>149869
I don't see how your trolling adds anything to this thread or /diy/ as a whole.

>> No.149911

>>149909

I don't think it's trolling if he really thinks you're stupid. Flaming, maybe.

>> No.149946

Ever thought of wheat pasting? easy fast and no can.
Also.. Put the paint in a back pack. Cop cant look in it without probably cause. If you have a car just drive safe and sober. The tracing the can thing is a bit ridiculous.. They arnt going to trace the cans bro. just pay with cash.

When writing always try to go up (not too up for a newbie..) Get on buildings, cops cant get there fast and you get good rep for a good spot.

After a while you'll get used to it. Don't go on Saturdays and Fridays that's when more popo be roamin.

>> No.149948

>>149946
Also when i go pasting i bring "God is love" posters.. Just in case people ask what im doing.

>> No.149959

>>149451
hipster faggots like you ruin the street art "movement"
most street artist started with shitty tags w/ no style or diversity. Everyone starts somewhere and most everyone has some paranoia.

I started in a park bathroom. I sucked pretty hard and i was always scared but it got better. (btw if you hit up a park bathroom make sure the trash was taken out recently.) Trash men walked in write when i was hittin it up.. But that was a long ass time ago when i was turrible..

>> No.149989

I did graff for 5 years and still do it today, without reading what has already been posted, here's some tips:
Never buy krylon spray paint, the caps are terrible and not easily replaced.
For quality paint in store, go for Rustoleum.
If you want REALLY great quality, go for Montana, which can be ordered online.
Never paint in the day time, no matter how safe you think the spot is. That's how I got caught 4 times, never at night though.
Always go after midnight and ALWAYS bring your ID. If you're stopped and without ID, police can search you without reason and find your paint. However if it is unused and you are over the age of 18, you're okay.
Don't forget gloves (latex, plastic, rubber, any kind that is disposable), I myself, am super careful, when I go, I bring my paint, gloves and my ID. I do my spot(s) with gloves and when I'm done I ditch my paint and gloves some where safe so that I can go back later and get it. And I'm good to go and know I'm safe. Also never bring a car, that can be taken away in some cases if you're caught doing graffiti with it. Have fun, OP.

>> No.150017

>>149959
>hipster faggots like you ruin the street art "movement"

you

are

a fucking

hipster

toy

and that sentence proves the shit out of it.

graff and it's bastard step child "street art" are CRIMES, and are MEANT to be, this is not the happy sing along seventies there's no block parties and no busy bee or breakdancers, graffiti today is an act of uncivil disobedience, it is an art war, you need to be willing to: fight, get your ass kicked, steal, go to jail, rinse and repeat

if you are going to buy paint, get montana and get the colors you really want, or rusto, but rusto can be stole

whatever that guy above me said about carrying an ID is either BS or part of some local law. would you carry ID to blow up a court house or rob a bank? then why would you carry it to vandalize shit? YOU RUN FROM THE COPS YOU DON'T STOP AND FUCKING CHAT WITH THEM. you need to be thinking like this, like a crook and a good one. some jurisdictions go hard as shit on graff writers, they will tap your phone, they will follow you to work and school.

what else..oh yeah, if you want to meet people doing it you gotta DO IT. i met a lot of people in alley ways, day walls and in grimey places with graffiti, do the math, if you see a rack of graffiti....graff writers go there.

also, get schooled:

the art of getting over(book)
style wars(doc)
infamy (doc)
freight train graffiti (book)
the history of american graffiti(book)
state your name(doc)
chocolate city burning(doc)
the nasty terrible t-kid 170 (fucking ill book)

those are some of my favs, the 'graffiti world' books and 'bomb it' fucking suck, don't bother.

>> No.150024
File: 21 KB, 375x500, berry161.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>150017
Thanks man, I really appreciate it. You're right, I gotta be less of a pussy. You guys have all been a huge help.

>> No.150036
File: 9 KB, 246x212, table218.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>149906
>Big city like Portland

Portland is tiny

>> No.150039

>>150017
>confirmed for 13yo hipster kiddy

This is what happens when shit parents let their kids eat sugary foods and throw tantrums without getting punished for it.

>> No.150043

>>149989
Would you recommend using a bike? A generally get around on a bike, and I think if I put on the biker garb while leaving a location, they'd be less likely to be suspicious of a guy on a speed bike with flashing lights and a retard helmet on.

>> No.150113

hiding cans? when I was on probation, I liked to hide them in a field near my house in the blackberry bushes. Had 'em in a dark green box. you shouldnt have to worry about it unless your parents are nosy. don't be a puss, though

>> No.150123
File: 49 KB, 680x511, BRTky.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>150113
>on probation
>nosy parents
>graffiti

>> No.150132

1. I know Artprimo lets you do money orders, so that doesn't leave a paper trail. Other good graff stores/sites should offer that.

2. Stay the fuck away from Rustoleum and Krylon. They might do okay for a while, but high pressure cans are SHIT. Get a good low pressure brand like MTN 94 or Belton Moltow. Stuff like Clash works okay too.

3. No fucking clue

4. Backpack. Use magnets to keep your cans quiet.

Always use gloves, and run fast

>> No.150171
File: 56 KB, 450x338, jeffwolfoutsideright[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

When I was 17 me and my friend and his older brother broke into this guys house that lived in our neighborhood (he was generally an asshole and in particular had me do a bunch of work for him and then refused to pay me because I wasn't licensed as a contractor. I was 15 when that happened) while he was away and over the course of the week vandalized his car.

Here's the thing though, we didn't just draw dicks or write "lol fagget" on it, my friend's brother was a professional car artist so he painted a mural of the thundercats on the side and a giant thundercats symbol on the hood so when he came back and drove it around for the month before he was able to get it repainted at a shop it looked like he was just really into the thundercats.

Also the car was a Mercedes Mclaren. Pic kinda related.

>> No.150172

don't just do tagging

make sculptures and installations
make posters and stickers
be inventive
make people's days better

>> No.150178

portlander here, dont deface our streets with your hipster pnca bullshit. not unless you can recreate the old simpsons mural

>> No.150343

OP again, what are some tips for cargo trains? You'd think the security would be more vigilant but I always see these trains pass by with hundreds of very well done pieces going by. It's like a moving art gallery.

>>150132
Yeah I was looking at ArtPrimo. They have a pretty nice selection. So far, Montana seems like my best bet. As long as no one sees my face, I'm not paranoid.

>>150172
This is my intention, yes.

>> No.150371

>>149959
I started in a park bathroom. I sucked pretty hard ....

lol wtf dude wrong area for that shit...

fucking ask anyone who owns a wall overlooking an alley way, tell them if they don't like what you do, then you'll happily paint over it in house paints.?? If you can get them to endorse you could own that alley way, and then show those endorsements to the council to let you do bigger shit and they will pay for the cans!

>> No.150372

I don't understand why people feel the need to vandalize people's property just because they know no one wants to buy their shitty art. Get a real job, for fucks sake.

>> No.150387

Listen OP, just don't do, learn. Start with your skills. How good are you? Is it something you think you can really do, or is it you just posting your name on shit? Can you do murals? Or just little things? Do mock-ups on paper and ask places to use their wall. Just like a previous poster said. Before you do to the business, learn what their about, draw some ideas on paper incorporating those things. Draw a few murals on paper then contact their management. State that you would like to use their wall to do a mural and you would like to meet with them to go over it.

Some may accept a visit, others want it faxed. Make sure you do it for free. Show them the sketches, and if they like it, they'll let you post it. I'm not just taking industrial, but bars, clubs, even stores may be interested. If they green light it, go ahead. If it's good enough, they may slip you some cash for time and materials. Build a portfolio for later.

After a while, your name will be held in some regard to businesses that you did. Other owners may ask them about it, and they'll give them your info. Now, you have people coming to you so you can charge. Guess what, you're making money now.

How do I know? Experience. Never arrested for it, made a few grand, and I still get calls once in a while to do some art.

Learn, do, make money. Easy as that.

>> No.150413

>>149858

i know you are a nigger and the internet is hard to use, however:

http://www.amazon.com/Krylon-5894-Marking-Chalk-White/dp/B000PJ67M6/

> Provides excellent temporary marking on grass, pavement or soil
> Inverted applicator allows you to spray upside down for easy marking
> Great for hopscotch, soccer, backyard volleyball, landscaping, and other marking applications
> Easily removed from hard surfaces

>> No.150478

>>149349
..... Are you fucking retarded.
even if you buy online, you can't track paint. The number one rule of graffiti is don't get caught.
Types of paints, Montana Hardcore and Gold, Ironlak and Sabotaz. Also depends what you are doing. Montana Hardcore makes a really rich black.

dont be a toy.

>> No.150528

Black knight Edition.

1. Is there a way to obtain spray paint without it being traced back to you (without stealing it)?

Buy it in another state,
or buy it at a store and wait awhile, but before the paint expires, or buy it at a yard-sale/flea market.

2. What are some good brands? I'm looking for a brand with a metal ball inside, so I can silence it with a strong magnet if need be

Google is your best friend.

3. What are good places in my my city to meet people who might help me? I live in Portland, if that helps.

Gang related / crime / ghetto areas, You should know more, if you are a Native.

4. What are some good ways to hide cans?
Be more specific.
If on your person, a backpack.

At your house, a container or floor alcove or wall alcove or ceiling alcove or a hole.

Whiteknight

Also why do you people do this anyway,
Deviant art not helping you rise to fame? because unless you are purposely trying to hurt companies or people's wallets by defacement of their property, what is there to gain if no one knows who did it? infamy?

Are an anarchist or something?

Oh and learn self defense if you haven't already.

Also, if you wanted total anonymity, the first thing you should have done would be no 3. Because now 4chan has your information,unless you use Tor.

>> No.150710
File: 173 KB, 999x551, Screen Shot 2012-02-14 at 12.58.37 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I became extremely interested in street art after watching "Exit Through The Gift Shop". (IF YOU HAVE NOT SCENE IT, WATCH IT THIS INSTANT. ITS ON NETFLIX.) Which is essentially a documentary on a group of street artists, most notably Banksy. (Includes Shepard Fairly, Space Invader, MBW) and decided to go out and do some art in a liberal college town close by. Things were going well until we were walking through a park and the cops pulled up. They were closing down the park bathroom (that we had just hit). Long story short we got arrested and taken to jail. (Which was bullshit. I understand I broke the law, really I do but no other town wouldve taken us to county jail. The cops in this town have a reputation for being pricks)

Long story short I was charged with two counts of destruction to real property. Was not worth it OP, had to attend and pay for some stupid ass classes and that shits going to follow me around forever even though the charges were dropped

oh and pic, before anyone calls bullshit

>> No.150717

>>150710
*seen. I don;t know why I used the wrong spelling

>> No.150726

>>150710
um you vandalized public property, why do you bitch about getting your ass handed over to jail?

oh, right, it was only "art".

fuck your crap, use walls where you're allowed to scribble your bullshit on to or leave it be.

>> No.150732
File: 75 KB, 700x480, anna.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>150726

>> No.150734

>>150726
this thread was about a guy who is into street art. The exact kind of art>>150710
was talking about. if you don't have anything to contribute leave the thread

>> No.150739

>>150710
here.

I clearly stated I understand what I did was wrong, and I agree that I should pay the price of my actions. The police were well within their power to take me to jail (as they did) I was merely pointing out that I think it was a little extreme. They could've given me a ticket or called my parents or something that would've accomplished the same thing as jailing me without the damage to my criminal record. But be that as it may, they didn't and I have no real right to complain because they were enforcing the law. I just wanted to voice my opinion on the situation (that it was bullshit.) but my perspective was may have been skewed by their other actions (deliberately contacting the college I attend, forcing me to meet with the dean, contacting my place of employment as well. forcing my friend and I to remain handcuffed the entire time we were in waiting while members of the crack house that was raided that night and where they found several automatic weapons were released from their cuffs by their escorting officers the moment they were brought in) but apparently you frown upon such personal stories on your board. My apologies king of /diy/

>> No.150768

>Dat feel when there is an entire urban playground for me to mess around in.

Despite being a terrible, terrible, place, Detroit does have some perks.

>> No.150916
File: 17 KB, 500x360, skin071.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

toys, toys everywhere

>> No.150950

>>150710
NC Master Race reporting in.
Also, the cops knocked you over and dicked on you.

>> No.150958

Oooooh the memories, fuck yea!

Here is my advice, if you see a big wall you want to paint, ask the owner if you can paint it. If he says no, just say ok, and never try to vandalize that wall. Keep trying, it may be easier if you go for walls that are already painted. Tell the owner "sir, your wall looks like shit with all that graffiti, can i have a chance and make a mural there?" that way he has nothing to lose and may say yes. thats what i did in highschool, while everybody were trying to tag walls and did small graffitis, i made the biggest ones, in the middle of the day with the police coming every hour because people were reporting me. Good thing the owner give me permission to do whatever the fuck i wanted, more than 600 sq feet of wall just for me and my friends. That way you can make quality graffiti and not just tags. Tags are for gangs and highschool badasses wanna be.

>> No.150967

>>150739

Sounds like it worked to deter you, and likely would not have if they had been lenient.

But I'm sure you realize that as well, as much as you dislike the fact that they were thorough with you.

>> No.151200

>>150343
Just hop the fence around 2am and find a spot with little to no light. Bring a glowstick. Cargo trains are easy.

>> No.151222

Watch Dirty Hands. David Choe is a sick cunt.

>> No.151303

>>150950
Whats good Master Race. I was in Davidson if that means anything to you

>>150967
Yeah i mean I definitely learned my lesson but I just felt like there were other ways to teach me the lesson besides taking me to jail where my parents refused to bail me out for a day

>> No.152705

Graffiti's a hard game, bro. From what I can see, you make good art, but you should be sure that you're ready for the consequences that may ensue. Good luck to you.

>> No.153493

>>149349
Didn't read the thread, skimmed it and saw bunch of terrible answers. I actually used to write, so I am not just some random idiot from the internet.

>1. Is there a way to obtain spray paint without it being traced back to you (without stealing it)?
Yeah, it's called buying it with cash. The police won't bother looking up purchases since most writers rack (steal) their paint.

>2. What are some good brands? I'm looking for a brand with a metal ball inside, so I can silence it with a strong magnet if need be
This is completely preference, but when your starting out buying expensive paint isn't going to make you suck less, you will just be spending more money.

>3. What are good places in my my city to meet people who might help me? I live in Portland, if that helps.
If you want to meet up with people, you have to make a decision from day one, are you a legal eagle or are you going to write illegally. If you write illegally, you must tell no one, not ya mama, not ya girl, and not your best friend. I have seen plenty of convictions from snitches. If you are going to be legal, you can meet up at legal walls, art students, hip hop enthusiasts, etc.

>4. What are some good ways to hide cans?
Hiding cans shouldn't be a real problem because you shouldn't be running into anyone when you paint. Keep your hands clean and any paint in the trunk of your car.

You also don't need to spray paint to start. Your going to need TONS of work in your blackbook with pencil,pens,sharpies, etc. You also don't need spray paint to do handstyles, you can use a huge variety of mops.

>> No.153503

1. Uhm, all I can think of is get a proxy, and a prepaid gift card and order your spraypaint online. Ask a trusted friend if you can have it delivered to his house.

2. Good brands are: German, Ironlak, Montana. Check out bombingscience and oinkart websites.

3. Lot of taggers are in highschool or college, I don't know your city though.

4. A good way to hide cans is in a backpack with doughnut magnets on the bottom of the cans. The magnet holds the iron ball to the bottom of the can to keep noise from being made.

Hope I helped.

>> No.153826

>>150710

lol look at this fag, no wonder the cops played you
I wonder what the fuck did you attempt to paint lol

>>150916

>> No.154139

If you just want to paint for the sake of painting OP, buy some large canvasses. Its what I did. Im too much of a bitch to go out and paint in public, so I just do stencils from time to time on canvas. I use Mtn 94 paint, its alright, and you can buy big, cheap canvases in art shops. If your that paranoid about not being seen as a "Delinquent" then just do it on canvas. Call it art.

>> No.154327

>>154139
Sorry, but fuck that. That's not the point for me.

>> No.154412

Fuck this thread.

>> No.154426

www.bombingscience.com

ships with details as like science equip or something i forget, havent ordered in a while, not stealing it makes you a toy, but who gives a shit?? seriously.

>> No.154711

>>150017
Bomb It is actually a pretty good doc. Dont listen to this fag OP