[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 15 KB, 250x250, water-tanks-black_10895242_250x250.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
141063 No.141063 [Reply] [Original]

Im getting closer and closer to buying some land and homesteading/earthship/build a house out of recycled materials. Its high desert area, and Ive got most of it sorted out except a solid plan for reusing gray water. I know it will have to be filtered....But I was wondering what the effect of detergents and soaps would do if I tried to reuse it on a vegetable garden or trees. One thought was maybe pumping it into a large black tank, then letting the water evaporate, then condense into another container. What do you guys think? would that remove most of the junk in the water?

Im expecting daytime temps around high 80 degrees or higher for almost 6 months of the year.

>> No.141068

Just use biodegradable plant friendly detergents in your washing machine and water at will.

>> No.141074

>>141068
That would be good provided its not too expensive...But what about grease and oils from cooking?

>> No.141079

>>141074
I didn't know that was considered grey water, I normally just pour the bacon fat into a mason jar and throw that away once its full, if the plants get a lil bacon fat on em they wont care, and I'm talking just the stuff you scrub off the pan.

>> No.141081

>>141074
>But what about grease and oils from cooking?
Why would you put that in your waste water anyway? Cooking oil = fuel, fat = soap ingredient, and even if you don't use them that way, keep them out of your drains.

>> No.141083
File: 77 KB, 510x322, lardlamp1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>141079
> just pour the bacon fat into a mason jar and throw that away once its full

Add a wick and use them as outdoor lights. This works for any cooking oil/grease. You may need a heat spreader for solidified stuff. Like this,

http://www.atomicshrimp.com/st/content/lard_lamp/

>> No.141087

>>141083
Sweet.

>> No.141093

OP here....Well, I guess it really wasnt as complicated as I thought.....I figured I would have all sinks running to a collection tank, then reuse the gray water to flush the toilet(s)...and use the remainder to water a food garden, and possibly a few trees...

>> No.141095

>>141083
(OP here)...I also really like your idea and will try it.

>> No.141101

Will you compost your black water or use it for a methane digester (which gives you methane and fertilizer)? You can add your yard, garden, and kitchen waste to a methane digester, fyi.

>>141093
>use grey water for toilet.

You are thinking with the wrong type of toilet. Get a composting toilet (research them, how they work, and advantages/disadvatanges). No water needed. You'll be able to use the grey water elsewhere.

>> No.141104

>>141101
I was thinking a septic for the black water, but if I can reuse it again, in a safe way, Im all for it.

As for the composting toilet....I really know nothing about it....The only thing would be I want an indoor toilet....so if you can have a compost toilet indoors Im all for it.....Ive def got some new things to do some research on...

>> No.141107

>>141104
Yes, you can have a non-smelly indoor composting toilet. A friend of mine uses one.

For a methane digester you can research "GOBAR gas", "Biomethane", "methane digester", etc. Youtube has tons of simple setups and massive factories so it is obviously scalable. It's basically natural gas but the concentration of methane is a little less than natural gas. Germany and especially India are the front runners for this technology.