[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 47 KB, 400x400, flos48vr1msudjy05fnf_400x400.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1390060 No.1390060 [Reply] [Original]

Starting an apprenticeship with my local IBEW, I understand I will be taking classes whilst working full time, anyone here been through an apprenticeship ( not necessarily electrical) and know how hard these classes will be? I've been out of school for several years so I am a bit concerned

>> No.1390077

>Third Year Inside Wireman Apprentice

Get someones login information from the jobsite and you can get all the answers for the online homework. Just study the night before each test and you'll do fine.
I've seen guys who are barely literate top out and become journeyman so I think you'll be fine.

>> No.1390091

>>1390060
I couldnt get a job with them back when I was looking to be an electrician, which turned out to be beneficial in the long run, but I still wouldnt mind working as one for a 15-20 years.

>> No.1390108

>>1390060

just finished my apprenticeship with local 11.

the first 3 years, they are strict. like, 5 seconds late and you get a withhold. after that when night classes start up (m/w or t/th +2 Saturdays a month, every othrr month) they become more lax.

the material itself is all theory. the first year is mainly DC theory, then the throw it all out the window and start AC theory after that (where circuit rules are reversed) that transition is difficult to start.

after is semiconductors. all that is stuff you will never use.

grounding, bonding, transformers, code calc, photovoltaic, conduit bending, etc. is all very useful and you will use it on the job.

you will have some instructors that only read the powerpoint word for work, some that go on about personal stuff and then give you quizes of what wasnt covered, and some that are competent and great teachers.

reguardless, dont count on them. teach yourself and use the classroom as a means to test yourself.

and make sure to keep up with unemployment on school weeks because they'll try not to pay you when it's your right.