[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 105 KB, 970x600, C3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1374716 No.1374716 [Reply] [Original]

let's say you started with something low quality or one manufacturer that is limited is selection
has anyone switched to another manufacturer after buying more than 20 tools?
after 10?
What's the cutoff?
If yes, how did you do it?
Did you sell them piece by piece or all at once?
Craigslist? Ebay?

>> No.1374734

Most cordless tool sets are gimmicky shit. 18v batteries are not enough to run a meaningfully effective sander, or chainsaw, or so on. Drills and drivers are good, everything else is "occasionally handy but generally not good enough to replace a corded tool." I keep a circular saw and sawzall that came in one of those damned kits for making occasional cuts in awkward places, but that's all they're good for. Wouldn't take anything else even if it was free. If you don't buy into the shit, you don't have to buy out of it later.

As for how to buy out, you can't. Everybody knows the batteries are the weak point, and nobody will buy your POS tool set if the batteries are dead. Ebay is full of unsold auztions for "X tool, no battery, just 5 bucks." If the batteries are good, you have a chance to get a sale, but not for anywhere near what you paid for them. Best chance to sell is actually a yard sale or flea market where people can plug in the batts and see that they work.

The 60v and 80v sets for yard tools are really good though; in that case, do your research and make sure the brand is quality and the company is stable. Then you'll have a parts source to keep the tools running and won't have to switch anyway. These are kinda new so I have no idea how good resale is on them.

>> No.1374786

>>1374716
I've had good luck with the ridgid stuff, but be aware of how much the batteries cost and what is available and what you'll actually use.

I use the shit out of my drill, driver and angle grinder. 18v isn't enough ass for a sawzall, or anything of similar power requirements. I've got an 18v sawzall and it only works for a few minutes before killing a battery. I'm sure a jigsaw would be fine though. A battery sander, compressor, or anything like that is retarded because those are tools you tend to use for hours at a time.

Also, keep in mind which tool companies like to change battery styles every few years like DeWalt or Craftsman.

>> No.1376468
File: 103 KB, 1280x720, serveimage.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1374734
>18v batteries are not enough to run a meaningfully effective sander, or chainsaw, or so on
Maybe true, but this thing runs 45 mins on 2x 18v 5Ah batteries for about 2 years now. Leaf blower runs on low for 1 hour+, 15 mins on high, and has higher airflow than most gas blowers. Weedwhacker 1 hour on low, 25 min on high (again high-power is comparable to ~30cc gas whacker. Fucking oscillating saw runs only about 30 mins on 1 18v battery, im guessing it's just a high friction application. drill and impact driver probably 45 mins of actual wood screw driving. Can run about 400 drywall screws in on one charge with the drill though.
>>1374716
OP I had a couple hundred dollars in Dewalt 18V and I just bit the bullet on Makita 18/ 2x 18 becuase of the interchangeable batteries. Spent about $500 on outdoors tools and the 5Ah batteries.
>>1374734
maybe 80 v is better, but if you can't use them in your drills and hand tools it makes it hard to justify the price of the 80v batteries for landscaping tools only.