[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 42 KB, 238x317, dakota_oven.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
124445 No.124445 [Reply] [Original]

Including food, animal husbandry, etc. Post links and ideas.

How to make just about anything from the environment to survive and flourish (pics are too goddamn small on this site, but it has awesome info),
http://www.primitiveways.com/index.html

This pic is "Dakota Stove with Clay Pot".

>> No.124446

Cheese making including making cheese presses and how to wax cheese,
http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/cheese.html

>> No.124464

>>124445
I'm liking the urban resources section. Like the, "Johnstone Tools",

http://www.primitiveways.com/pt-toilettools.html

Making blades from the toilet ceramic. lol

>> No.124465
File: 20 KB, 452x800, brynbach_tower.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this thread needs a guide to tieing knots and making lashings

>> No.124474
File: 1.15 MB, 2716x1807, DSC_035a8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>124445
I've been breeding, raising and eating Japanese Quail and Cornish X Chickens for about a year now.

Killing and cleaning my own food can be rather unappetizing. Chickens and quail are pretty self sufficient birds unlike most domesticated animals they can find their own food.
Chickens: I picked Cornish because they are very large meat birds. They grow really quickly and are ready for harvest at 6-8 weeks.
Pros:
>the feed to meat conversion is supposed to be one of the best
>they mature faster than other chickens
>they are relatively docile compared to other chicken breeds

Cons:
>They eat a ton of food!
>they do not reproduce well, and sometimes cannot breed
>they are a weak breed and many die from heart failure or other genetic disease before you can eat them

I let mine free range and the meat was way too tough. So I'm going to have to go back to the drawing board and work on that.

Quail: I picked Coturnix or Japanese Quail because they are supposed to be a hardy breed. The meat was much better than the chicken meat. But I could not free range the quail because they kept flying away. Although I did get one to integrate into the chicken flock and it stayed. The hatch time is one of the fastest and they are also ready to harvest rather quickly, 4-6 weeks
Pros:
>they lay eggs everyday and are easy to breed
>they require little living space, one sq ft. per bird
>easy to take care of

Cons:
>it takes two birds to feed one adult

>pic related my cornish hen on the left that I am crossing with my leghorn rooster on the right

>> No.124579

>>124465
That reminds me I have a small little booklet on tying tons of different knots.

>>124474
>it takes two birds to feed one adult

Only if you are eating just the bird. Toss in some veggies and only eat a tiny portion of meat.

I want to start raising quail and chickens again. though I have 4 outside cats and a few stray tom cats in the area.

>they kept flying away

I don't remember how well clipping their wings works for quail, it's been 25-30 years since I raised them, but it's worth a try. We didn't clip them and kept them in a massive nylon net aviary. It was 20 high and 30'x40'. We had tons of exotic birds too. Though, we raised quail and bob white for release into the wild.

>> No.124607

>>124474
I currently have 2 sets of Coturnix that piss me off because they are so skittish. No matter how much attention I give them, each time I start handling them they go apeshit. Also they are crazy aggressive towards each other outside their mating pair and are costing me cage space.

I would like to eat them.

Do you have any tips for processing them?

>> No.124609

>>124607
>Do you have any tips for processing them?

Different anon here. Don't do the boiling water dip unless you want the skin. Learn to hang them and skin them with a big pull. It's faster, less smelly, and you shouldn't have trouble with feathers if you plan it out and get used to how to do it efficiently.

>> No.124641

>>124607
>>124474 is me
they are pretty easy to kill. I just break their neck, clip off their head, wings and feet with some scissors then make a slice along the breast bone. And like the other anon said, just pull the skin off and gut it. Its pretty easy. There are tutorials online as well.

>> No.124666

Anyone got a good link to a site about catching/eating bugs in the wild? I knew someone who lived every year for about 3 monts in the forest only eating bugs, fish, birds and other small stuff. The guy wouldn't kill any other kind of animal.

>> No.124727

Always keep chains or straps in your vehicle. If you slide into a ditch, anyone with a truck can pull you out, but rarely do they keep pull straps with them.

>> No.124780

>>124666
http://edibug.wordpress.com/list-of-edible-insects/

>> No.124788

>>124780

Thanks!

I'm somewhat new to /diy/ and the board is slow as fuck but it never fails to deliver.

I've actually eaten rosted bees and rosted bee larva before. When I went working in Thailand a few years ago, I took a trek with a guide into the wild. He showed me how the people used to "hunt" bees (some of them still do).

He basically put fire to the bees nest and ran the fuck away. Then we came back a few minutes later and grilled bees and larva were had by all!

Bees are not that good, but the larvas were pretty tasty, in a good way.

>> No.124794

>>124727
Seconding this. A good stout pull chain with good hooks on both ends should be in everyone's vehicle. Especially in rural areas.

Other things to have,

-box-end wrench set
-crescent wrench
-pliers set
-screwdriver set
-tire plug kit
-socket wrench set with sparkplug socket
-box of extra sparkplugs with sparkplug gap tester and wire brush to clean sparkplugs
-box of extra fuses specifically for replacing fuses in your vehicle
-small spray can of WD-40 and small can of 3-in-1 oil
-small air compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter power outlet (with attachments for car tires and inflating other tubes)
-jumper cables (with Inline Battery Tester preferred)
-battery jump starter (it's a battery that can jump your car's battery, like this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-1-jump-start-air-compressor-8884.html )
-first aid kit
-2 LED flashlights with those light wands that go over them to wave around to signal people
-1 hanging LED work light (for hanging under your hood for instance)
-a loud whistle you can blow
-extra key hidden magnetically under the vehicle (paint its magnetic container rust/mud colors to disguise it)
-small bag of kitty litter or sand(put under tires for extra traction)
-folding trench shovel (for digging out under your vehicle to place a jack)
-road flares and 2 small reflective road warning signs
-extra jug of windshield wiper fluid (especially in the winter and snowy conditions)
-extra quart of motor oil
-3 ways of making fire easily (matches, lighters, flint & steel, fire piston, actual cigarette light in the lighter socket, etc)
-a few MRE food rations
-handheld windshield wiper
-2 bottle jacks (bumper jacks and scissor jacks are not as easy to use nor as stable in unknown situations)

continued...

>> No.124795

>>124794
In addition to the above, trucks should also have,

-tarps
-bungee tie downs
-ratchet straps
-cargo net

In winter/cold areas,

-extra warm clothing
-foil survival blanket (even if it only gets down to 50-60F in your area, you should still have one of these)
-windshield scraper
-small bag of rock salt (put under tires to melt ice; couple with sand/kitty litter for better traction)

All of this stuff should take up about 1/4 of your trunk space. In trucks you place is behind the seats and under the seats to help find places to put it all. For things like flashlights, choose the type that have disposable batteries instead of rechargeable batteries that are more difficult to replace. AA is good for LEDs for instance and then you can use rechargeable AA batteries and still be able to replace them quickly from just about any store or location. Always buy the best gear because IF and when you need it you'll wish you didn't buy cheap crap that can fail. Keep things charged and keep fresh batteries.

continued...

>> No.124796

>>124795
Tips on getting unstuck,

If your vehicle is resting on its frame and its tires are in the ditch don't try to drive it out. Instead grab your bottle jacks and folding shovel. Jack up the side of the vehicle that is in the ditch, dig out places for the bottle jacks if needed (always level the ground where the jack is resting). Use stones under the bottle jacks if they are squishing down into mud. Once you have jacked the vehicle up as much as you safely can start digging dirt or whatever and putting it under the tires to fill in that spot. This usually takes a while. Pack it down and lower the vehicle back down on this to further pack it down. Jack it up and repeat as needed until you are able to drive out without dragging the bottom of your vehicle. If there are lots of stones in the area you are in luck and chuck as much stone into the ditch or hole as you can until its full, this usually takes far less time. Be careful when jacking up your vehicle, keep in mind that if it is leaning badly there's a good chance it will slip off the jacks.

I once had to use this method to get my little old Plymouth Horizon out of a massive mud hole where all 4 tires were sunk completely in the mud and the entire car was resting completely on its frame. It took me 45 minutes to jack it up (1 jack) for each tire and put enough stone under it to drive out without damaging anything. I was 10 miles from the nearest town and 5 miles from the nearest house on some forgotten unpaved backroad.

>> No.124797

>>124788
lol sound like fun

>> No.124804

>>124797
>>124797

It was.

Although something tells me that when he said that some people still do that for food, he was just humoring the little canadian tourist lol

I spent ost of my time in Bangkok, but when I was tired of the cityscape, I went on little trek adventures. I saw an island that used to be a prison camp in the '20s, I went into some caves in a little boat and spent 2 nights in a traditional village. The village is a tourist thing, obviously, but it was still pretty fun. From what I gather, the people living there are paid to live like the people used to (low-tech fishermen style) and talk to tourists and stuff.

>> No.124806

>>124474
videos on farming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbjvPHUKFSI

>> No.124889

>>124804
He may not have been humoring you. People eat strange things as treats or out of necessity. In a culture where insect eating is not gross it can be as common as people eating sardines.

>> No.125733

>>124445
bump

>> No.125744

>>124445
I want to download this entire website.