[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 53 KB, 400x600, shiiiit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
122547 No.122547 [Reply] [Original]

[spoiler]Requesting the informational on how to brew home cider. It had this picture in the bottom what said "X litres of hard apple cider for X $" or something.

Thanks in advance, and a fit girl for your efforts.</spoiler>

>> No.122549
File: 68 KB, 347x700, 1319394085996.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

[spoiler]This?</spoiler>

>> No.122551
File: 21 KB, 327x455, KK1..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

[spoiler]>>122549
YES, thank you, I love this board.

Godspeed, anon, and take this picture I shouldn't share with anybody.</spoiler>

>> No.122552

[spoiler]>>122551
No problems.</spoiler>

>> No.122557

[spoiler]/diy/ is filled with brilliant innovative people.... until a brewing thread comes along. Only one in 10 can talk intelligently about brewing. The other 9 drown the good advice with idiocy. Find a brew shop, make friends. Do mail order by phone if you must, most are run by 1 or 2 guys and they will talk to you for an hour if you are buying something. Go to the Sticky links. Google 'howtobrew.com'. Go to a random brewing website/forum. Go to /ck/ if you must. Just don't follow that informational unless you like drinking nastiness.</spoiler>

>> No.122560

[spoiler]>>122557
Seriously just fuck off.

You post this same autistic rant in every brewing thread. You are the main shitposter you are attempting to warn people about.</spoiler>

>> No.122570

[spoiler]>>122557
We're all aware that its not the BEST way to brew something. If it even really counts *brewing* in the first place. But guess what? We don't give a shit bro.</spoiler>

>> No.122574

[spoiler]Tip I was given -
Look for juice that is marked 'suitable for vegetarians'
Apparently some juices have anti-bacterial preservatives added which will make it very difficult to get your yeast started, if marked veggie friendly it doesn't have them</spoiler>

>> No.122575

[spoiler]>>122557
I like how instead of helping the anon wanting advice about home brewing you insult him because apparently your hillbilly moon-shining ass knows more than every other anon who is just now starting to brew. Quit being an ass, start being helpful.</spoiler>

>> No.122580

[spoiler]OP look into using other juices.
Grape juice makes really a really nice alcoholic drink, its not shop bought wine tasting, more alcoholic fruit juice, unless you age it 6 months plus but its fine immediately post fermentation.
Also use wine yeast, a lot of people on here think you can use bread yeast but bread yeast wont get much beyond 5% alcohol.</spoiler>

>> No.122581

[spoiler]>>122557
I'm aware it won't be a super-tasty sweet cider to drink with people with IQ over 180 and give it a grade or some shit, my friend and I just wondered how to make one for fun and have our first experience in brewing something.

>>122574
Thanks bro, tip taken.</spoiler>

>> No.122583

[spoiler]Not OP and possible going off topic

I've been using a simple still to distill home brew wine for some years, I've never used a thump gag and not noticed any real problems
Does a thump gag give any advantages or is just tradition for traditions sake?</spoiler>

>> No.122588

[spoiler]did you check all 12 pages of /ck/?
there's always a homebrew thread on there. this is more up their alley anyway</spoiler>

>> No.123243
File: 237 KB, 347x700, 1322423758544.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

[spoiler]>>122547
here you go, first time in diy, glad i could contribute</spoiler>

>> No.123264

[spoiler]Just watch what you are doing and make sure there is a couple of guys to make sure you make the right stuff. It took my Dad a lot of years to master this. When I first tried it the "booze" my friends made I hallicinated because I drank the lions share of it. Just make sure there are people with you that care about you when you first try it.</spoiler>

>> No.123429

[spoiler]OP, give it a go, but use wine or champagne yeast, you can get this from a bewers shop for about $1.50
Baking yeast doesn't tend to ferment your brew to well, as in it wont get past 5%, if that even.
Montrachet wine yeast is a good one. Also, make sure the apple juice you use is entirely 100% apple juice, no preservatives and shit, or else it won't ferment, or it wont ferment enough.
Also, making a one gallon batch of this first dude, just to make sure you got it all right, and you don't end up wasting 5 gallons of potential cider.
By the way, using a napkin over the top as an air lock might work, but it also leaves the chance of your brew getting contaminated and natural yeast spores entering it. (Doesn't sound like the worst thing in the world, but this can render your brew completely undrinkable, trust me I've had experience with this when I was younger and making dero ass brews). What I would do is buy an airlock from a brew shop, or alternatively, you can attach a tube to the cap of the container and have the tube leading to a container full of water. You'll know your brew is fermenting when the container of water starts bubbling. (This means CO2 gas is escaping your brew, but not letting any nasty stuff in).

When the fermentation is finished, siphon into the brew into your bottles, and if you can keep your hands off it, let it age a few months, but it should be good to drink. Sorry about how hastily this is written, I barely even mentioned sterilization (arguably the most important step, STERILIZE ALL YOUR EQUIPMENT) but I'm in a rush to leave my house at the moment.</spoiler>

>> No.123438

[spoiler]>>123429
Another cheap airlock option is a balloon with a pinprick.</spoiler>

>> No.123443

[spoiler]Oh, and any 100% apple juice will work. Just make sure it's pasteurized and doesn't have any preservatives (added sugar is OK). Make sure you sterilize your equipment, a capful of bleach in a couple gallons of water will do. Make sure you bottle quickly after the first fermentation, otherwise you'll end up with gallons of vinegar.</spoiler>