[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 3 KB, 194x259, jug..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
120843 No.120843 [Reply] [Original]

ok so i have the 5 gallon jug
the apple juice i know should be pure no concentrates
4/5 pounds of corn sugar or normal
but i have read that certain types of yeast work the best
What yeast is best?

>> No.120844

concentrates are perfectly fine, you want no preservatives or additives.

ale yeast for a lighter sweeter less alcoholic cider.

champagne yeast for a stronger dryer more alcoholic cider.

>> No.120845

Yeast that is bred, or whatever the fuck you do to make yeast, specifically for the making of alcoholic beverages.

I would just use wine yeast, but it depends on what you are making. Mead? Beer? Wine?

>> No.120926

At many specialty store dedicated to home brewing they carry yeasts made for this sort of thing. I use chablis yeast for both my wine and hard cider it works great and can hold up pretty well to a high alcohol content.

>> No.121318

/diy/ is filled with brilliant innovative people.... until a brewing thread comes along. Only one in 10 can talk intelligently about brewing. The other 9 drown the good advice with idiocy. Go to the Sticky links. Go to a random brewing website/forum. Go to /ck/ if you must. This time the first three posts are correct, good work! Don't use regular sugar, it slows down the fermentation and degrades the flavor. Find a brew shop, make friends. Do mail order by phone if you must, most are run by 1 or 2 guys and they will talk to you for an hour if you are buying something.

>> No.121327
File: 17 KB, 241x230, 1288389259265.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Purchase Wyeast 4766 Liquid Yeast (specifically for Cider). Get a hydrometer, add corn sugar until level is "12%" potential alohol. Add yeast (follow directions, the yeast will eat up to 12% alcohol).

Wait a week or so after putting an airlock on. Measure with hydrometer, if it is 0.999, it's ready. Filter, cold crash (stick in freezer for 3 days to kill yeast), un thaw, refilter again and enjoy your cider.

>> No.121341

Champagne yeast works well, and gived the cider a crisp effervescent feeling from all the tiny bubbled it instills.

Sweet Mead Yeast is good if you want a very sweet cider.

Super High /Gravity Ale yeast works pretty good, especially if you load up your juice with honey and other sugars before pitching the yeast.

And of course Brettanomyces bruxellensis is a classic for cider,takes a sweet mellow apply juice like Washington or Yellow Delicious and gives it a sour bite.

>> No.121349

>>121318
fuck off negative nancy your the only shitposter in here.