[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 2.98 MB, 720x686, 1421720433883.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1168487 No.1168487 [Reply] [Original]

Have this issue every time it gets humid. when bedroom door is shut and window shut I have some sort of allergy problem. I feel pressure in my head and can't concentrate. when I leave bedroom I can immediately tell there's something wrong cause I start to feel normal again. I must be inhaling something in my bedroom I shouldn't be

I might actually paypal some money to someone that gives solution cause my quality of life is being seriously affected by this. I work online and can't put my pc anywhere else in the house. can't afford to move out etc.

>> No.1168489

it wasn't bad or noticeable in winter time but now that it's humid again it's becoming serious problem. I can feel whatever it is that was affecting me start to fade right when I leave bedroom. I have to be inhaling something through my nose that I'm not supposed to.

>> No.1168500

Sounds like it might be mold. I'm no expert though.

>> No.1168611

Sounds like mold. Mold can lead to serious health issues. Wear a mask when you go hunting for it.

>> No.1168612

Mold is the obvious possibility. Could be dust allergy or some other allergy but those wouldn't be triggered by humidity.

>> No.1168614

>>1168487
Look up Air Scrubber.
Call your best rated local HVAC place and have one installed.
Shit isn't cheap but from what it sounds like, it would probably fix your situation.
Sounds like your venting in your home was done poorly creating too much negative pressure in that one room.

>> No.1168615

>>1168614
could I just seal off the vents? I have gaping hole in closet where the water pipes are. I wonder if that has something to do with it

>> No.1168617

>>1168615
Depends, sealing off your vents is bad for your furnace/AC/heat pump. Creates a lot of back pressure on the machine and basically causes itself to overwork the system, effectively shortening the life of your system, not by much, but enough to potentially cause failures and parts to go bad.

I wouldn't rule out mold, if it is mold or dust or anything like that, the Air Scrubber will fix it.
Air Scrubber is the ONE item I actually don't feel bad about upselling because the fucker works like a charm.

Also might be worth it to have your ducts checked to see if they didn't something really stupid like size the trunk line wrong, creating a huge amount of oressure in that one room.

>> No.1168618

I would add some return vents whether over a door, in the door, or back to the air handler. As well, I'd get a refurbished 30 pint dehumidifier.

>> No.1168621
File: 797 KB, 1920x1280, 1480350319665.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1168617
my dad did all that work>>1168617
>Air Scrubber
ActivePure™ technology effectively reduces airborne toxins that can aggravate:

Allergy Symptoms
Chest Tightness
Coughs

Nausea
Sinus Problems
Dizziness

Eye/Nose/Throat Irritation
Fatigue
Headaches

chest tightness/sinus problems/headaches fatigue. these are exactly my symptoms.the bizarre part is I know it's the room cause i can feel my head decompress after I leave the room. I don't think I experience it if i leave door and window open. but if i have door closed and window shut and it's humid I feel pressure in my head

>> No.1168623

If you close the door, can you feel air being sucked in around the edges? Or being pushed out?

>> No.1168625
File: 46 KB, 511x363, suspicious.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1168623
actually have this annoying issue. whenever I open the window the door actually blows open even though I have to pull it open. it's quite bizarre. doesn't make any sense that opening the window would cause the door to open into the room

>> No.1168628

>>1168621
It's hard to narrow it down over a Taiwanese claymation litebrite board, but does it happen when your AC/Heatpump is off? If there is no air being pumped into that room I'd say it's definitely mold. If it's when the system is on, I'd say it's pressure caused by some issue in your venting. Either way getting both of those checked out shouldn't be very costly. Most HVAC places charge $100 for duct inspections.
Air Scrubber also has a 30 day guarantee, so if you drop the grand or whatever it is to install it, if you don't notice shit, tell them to come pack it up.

Honestly not trying to come off as a shill, the thing just works.
We had mold in our bedroom windows and it caused me to wake up with a fucked up throat and headache almost daily. My wife has fucked up allergies and I'm allergic to dogs (we have 2) I put the scrubber in myself and she and I have been allergy and mold free for two years.

>> No.1168630

>>1168628
thanks for info. actually a $100 window AC usually does the trick for me(it's something I need anyway) but my dad will throw a fit. he think air conditioning is a sign of weakness. he actually does roofing HVAC for a living.

>> No.1168950

>>1168628
>Taiwanese claymation litebrite board
ehehe

>> No.1168957

You're house runs on gas and you have a gas leak in your bedroom. RIP in peace op. Check that the exhaust vent is properly seated on your heater and hot water heater

>> No.1168964

Maybe It's due to your posture, when you sit at a desk in a position where your sinuses can't drain then when you stand up and leave the room they do

>> No.1168979
File: 889 KB, 3186x3122, as_seen_on_diy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1168487
Yeah, that does sound like a mold problem. I have the same problem. It doesn't even need to be visible. It can just be everywhere on the surfaces growing and you only really notice it when you wipe a cloth across a surface. I get this in my house in the summer. Then again I live in a temperate rainforest and it get humid as balls and mold will cover everything if you don't clean constantly. Even your clothing, bed mattress, and blankets/pillows will get it. If you have carpeting, well I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you have your last will and testament done.

Use a dehumidifier/window AC/air filter.

>> No.1169205

>>1168487
Spend a day off by removing everything from the room and place what cannot be washed outdoors in the Sunlight. (Even your cloths in the closet, hang them outside). Wash everything down with a disenfectant cleaner that bothers you the least. Vacuum with a hepa filtered vacuum (ask a friend or relation if you ay borrow their's if you you don't have one). Clean, wash, dust, everything before it comes back inside your room.

Yes it takes all day, but you only need to do this once a year. (Air out your pillows once a week on really Sunny days, this helps control dust mites).

>> No.1169206

>>1169205
yea think get dusty within 1day after dusting it's weird

>> No.1169207

>>1169205
I went autism mode and trashed old mattress and bought new one. didn't solve issue haha.

>> No.1169272

op i live in aus and for the last 6 month i had the same fucken problem.
every morning my face would feel like it was in a vice all night.

i put in an aircon and even when it was a little hot i would crank it up to 11. problems went away.

its been abit cooler the last month or so and i unmounted the ac. still no dramas.

>> No.1169482

>>1168487
Mold is an obvious possibility but it could also be vapours from particle boards. Did the problems arise when you moved in or after you did some work on the room?

What is the circulation like with door and windows closed? Have you checked air flow? With little air flow the CO2 buildup would be large.

>> No.1169488
File: 34 KB, 500x500, ozone.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1168487
op had the same issue when i left my car over the summer. i got an ozone generator and closed it and ran it for an hour and used the vents. ozone isnt good to breathe but it kills mold and odor and shit. give it a look on google. i got one on amazon for industrial use. I got if for 60 bucks. i would highly recommend trying it.

>> No.1169585

>>1169482
>What is the circulation like with door and windows closed? Have you checked air flow? With little air flow the CO2 buildup would be large.

ye with door and window shut there is no air flow at all.

problem gets unbearable when it gets humid. whenever I open window the door blows open so I have to seal door shut.

but yea it could be CO2 buildup

>> No.1169589

>>1169585
Also forgot to mention years ago before I had nasal surgery I would wakeup and have severe sinus congestion. Would seriously feel like I was suffocating and somebody plugged up my nose overnight

>> No.1169639

>>1168487
Got a CO2 detector?

Radon Gas?

>> No.1169640

>>1169639
I have carbno monoxide detector that hasn't made a sound in ages. but no. no CO2 detector.

>> No.1169646

>>1168487
It could be evil spirits. Run this same thread on /x/ and see where it goes.

>> No.1169707

>>1168630
>air conditioning is a sign of weakness

Ye ol' kek.

>> No.1169734
File: 131 KB, 800x770, picunrelated.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You always must sleep with a window slightly open, stupid hippie.

When you sleep all night with your head under the blanket you get the same problem (less oxygen).

If you don't want to have the window slightly open, then install an tube with a fan or something.

I hate people who don't vent their bedroom.