[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 134 KB, 333x500, homebrew.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
116482 No.116482 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/,

I've been putting off posting here until I thought of a nice topic, and here it is: Home Brew beer. Now I know nothing about brewing but a friend of mine produced a particularly nice cider at a party the other day and proudly told me that he had brewed and bottled it himself.

Any of you anons brew your own beer? Care to give a 1st timer some advice?

I am really completely a beginner - i have no equipment and no idea but it is something I want to get into

>> No.116490

Im particularly interested in making a Hops-ey beer - perhaps a pils

>> No.116512

Bump because I'm also interested

>> No.116516

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

That one was buried in the stickied link. I haven't started brewing yet, but the main advice seems to be clean your shit.

>> No.116521
File: 237 KB, 347x700, 1314186475110.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i personally have done this and it fuckin workslike a treat
my first brew was this.
now im into beer and im still really novice at it but my advice is to clean the contaner really well and keep air and bacteria out of your beer

>> No.116529

>>116521

do you know where 5 gallon water jugs can be found?

would i be able to get one at a place like walmarT?

>> No.116538

>>116529
I don't know about gallons i live in Australia i just brought 10 2L bottles.
With the apple juice get what ever is cheapest that
DOES NOT have preservatives other wise it wont ferment.
use a simple water valve instead of napkin

>> No.116542

>>116529
ahh shit sorry i didn't know what you meant
just get one of those camping water bottle dispenser things their like 20L

>> No.116576

op,
this is the 3rd homebrew tread this week...sheesh!

>>116529
http://www.better-bottle.com/

I don't know of you can use the bottled water jugs, but the better bottles should be available from your friendly local home brewing store.
Google your city/town+home brew ...you'll be surprised as to what you might find, and on top of that, most brew stores offer outstanding advice and are more than willing to talk your ears off giving it.

also, lurk http://www.homebrewtalk.com.. add /f39/ to the end of the url for the noob section. but there is a wealth of infoz there.

If you can't find any local suppliers, there is a grip of them online willing to take your $$, but if you like to brew, then support your local retailers.

A lot of the supplies that one would need are easily procurable thru thrifty scrounging. I got a majority of my equipment second hand (large pots and turkey fryer for boiling) and made a wort chiller by scratch from some copper tube wound into a coil with a garden hose fitting on one end, and a crimped open end to slow down the flow of water to aid in cooling. I think that I have under $150 in my set up total.

Aside from all the equipment that you need, the biggest thing you have to worry about is SANITATION!

Another thing to think about is what you want to start out with...I would suggest an extract kit or a simple wine. EdWort's Apfelwein is easy to make from commonly available ingredients, and actually tastes pretty good.

lurk and learn...ask questions...gain knowledge!

>> No.116621

(Cheap) protip: Use 5 gallon frosting bucket with lid from grocery store bakery for primary fermentation. Sanitize prior to use, and they're usually free.

>> No.116624

there's a shit ton of resources out the OP. check out youtube, forums, and even go to a local home brewing supply store. Start small, and if you enjoy it, keep adding to your arsenal of equipment. I've converted my garage into a brewery. I've installed running water, gas stoves, etc. I even grow my own hops. Delicious and fun.

>> No.116642

>>116521
>>116521
what role does the napkin fill? how would the simple water value replace a napkin in this role?
i am seriously going to do this when i get back down to college. halp please

>> No.116651

bump

>> No.116690

>>116642
The Napkin is meant to cover the opening to the fermentor. It keeps bugs, dust and other random particulates out of the wort, while allowing CO2 to escape, preventing a build up which could shatter the fermentor.

The water valve does the same thing, just more efficiently and more effectively.

>> No.116701

Minimum equipment list:
One (1) Very large stockpot (5 gallon/20 Qt.)
Two (2) food grade 5 gallon buckets with lids
One (1) four foot length of 3/8 inch ID plastic tubing
Seventy-two (72) 12 oz brown glass bottles
An electric probe thermometer

Minimum Ingredient list (All Grain):
3 lbs 2 row Pale Malt
3 lbs Munich Malt
3 lbs Biscuit Malt
1 lb Steel Cut Oats
1 lb Wheat

4 oz Bittering hops (Chinook is good)
4 oz Aroma hops (Tetnanger works well)

1 Tbsp. Yeast nutrient
1 Tbsp. Yeast energizer
1 oz. Irish Moss
1 Vial Pilsner yeast (I like WYeast)

(cont)

>> No.116722

Addition to the Equipment list:
Large fine mesh strainer.
Bottle Capper
100 bottle caps

Addition to the ingredient list:
Bleach

Prep:
Cut two (2) slits in the lids of the buckets in an X shape with a sharp knife
Use bleach and water to sterilize one of the buckets, it's lid and the strainer.

Procedure:
Add the Oats to 1 gallon of water, bring to a boil, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
Remove heat and add 2 gallons of water. Take temperature allowing the water to cool below 150 degrees. If the water temp is less than 150 degrees add the rest of the grain and return to heat allowing the mash (grain and water mix) to reach 150 degrees. Hold mash temperature between 150 and 160 degrees for 30 minutes.

Pour the mash through the strainer into the sterilized bucket. Discard grains (trash/recycle/use to make bread/livestock feed)

Pour wort (water full of grain extracts) back into the stock pot. Return to a boil. Re-sanitize bucket and strainer.

As the wort reaches a boil add 1/2 oz of the bittering hops to the boil and add 1/2 oz to the boil every 15 minutes until the bittering hops are used up.

After the boil has run for a total of 70 minutes add 1 oz of the aroma hops to the boil and add another ounce to the boil after 10 minutes.

Five minutes after the last aroma hops addition add the Yeast Nutrient, Yeast Energizer and Irish Moss to the boil and continue to boil for an additional 5 minutes.

Strain Wort into the sanitized bucket, discarding hops. Add water to bring the level up to 4 gallons. Take temperature, when the wort is less than 100 degrees add the yeast to the bucket and seal on the lid. Store in a cool (50-60 degrees) place.

>> No.116723

After two weeks sterilize the other bucket and the plastic hose.

Place the full bucket on the counter and the empty one on the floor below it. Use the plastic hose to siphon the wort from one bucket into the other, be careful not to siphon the bottom couple of inches of wort (this is full of trub and lees, not good drinking).

Once siphoned, add the remaining 2 oz. of aroma hops (remember the unused 2 ounces) to the secondary fermentor full of wort. Seal up with the sterile lid and return to the cool dry place for two more weeks.

After the second two weeks are up, sterilize the plastic hose, bottles, caps and the capper.

Place the secondary fermentor on the counter and the bottle on the floor below it. Siphon the beer (yes it's beer now) into the bottles filling them to within an inch of the top. Be careful not to siphon up any of the lees at the bottom on the fermentor. Cap the bottles and return to a cool dry place for 3 months.

After the lagering period (the final 3 months) chill your beer and relax with a homebrew.

>> No.117193

any hints on tea wine?
not kombucha, just fermentating tea

>> No.117322

I'm thinking in trying this one http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php?/topic/27013-hard-iced-tea-time/
The problem is: I only have bakers yeast and none of the equipament
Hope it works

>> No.117323

Totally though this was gonna be a jenkam thread.