[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 3.35 MB, 1440x2560, Screenshot_20170308-130857.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1141739 No.1141739 [Reply] [Original]

Fuck near had a tornado and one of my many monkey trees fell on my shitty garage. I would like to fix it myself as the deductible is $1,000 and i assume the materials are cheaper just to fix it. Wanted some constructionbros 2 cents tho.

I've helped build a few houses but was mostly just labor.

I'm assuming i can just jack the roof back up and put some 2x4 against the busted and rotted ones if i can find anything to screw to.

Then just rip out fucked up shingles and nail others on over new sheeting or boards?

I'd like to go with tin over it soon and a small leak here or there is nothing. Its just storage and the fucking floor to ceiling shelves i built are probably holding it up. Not even sure how big it is but it has a dirt floor.

My house is a shithole with new tin roof and paint.

Would it be worth fixing the garage with shingles? Fixing and getting tin and paint to match the house for resale? Or should i just throw my shit away and haul the building off?

Have access to free dump truck and backhoe use.

Disposal will be a bonfire or bury it ina pasture.

A very rough guess would be 14x30 feet in size and wtf ever common pitch is on roof.

Thanks for any advise besides kms or OP is a faggot.

There are about 6 holes in total and these are the worst. Been meaning to repair the leaky fucker as it is but bills piled up.

>> No.1141740

>>1141739
Buy a shipping container.

>> No.1141747

>>1141739
Fucking pictures make me dizzy rebuild it use 2x4s and plywood or whatever post results. Kinda looks like like a creepy old rape shed maybe a fresh coat of paint and some new curtains too..

>> No.1141761

Turn into insurance, get settlement, rebuild.

>> No.1141779

>>1141739
>I would like to fix it myself as the deductible is $1,000 and i assume the materials are cheaper just to fix it.

Check with your insurance company. If they determine it will cost $2500 to fix it they may just pay you the $1500 and let you get it repaired by someone of your choosing. (you can choose yourself)

>> No.1141800

>>1141740
Then a 3D printer.

>> No.1141809

>>1141779
This plus, yes, you might be able to sister those broken roof joists and add/replace ceiling joists.

>> No.1141826
File: 138 KB, 1024x769, ccontainer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1141740
Everyone who wants to buy a container should do so! Follow your dreams and ignore the haters. Your initiative will be rewarded with success!

Numerous containers survived direct hits from 30mm A-10 "Warthog" cannon during the Iraq war. The springy corrugations dissipate energy and the projos bounce off. The immortal Corten steel shells last centuries even without paint, which is only decorative. The US Navy has a fleet of containers at the bottom of the Marianas trench where they dock submarines made from containers for underwater replenishment. Hawaii successfully used lava flow to encase containers to make attractive tourist lodges. Transatmospheric scramjet powered containers have been developed into launch platforms for smaller containers to be used in the post-Brexit EU space containerstation. North Korea replaced their old dug shelters under mountains with containers painted like mountains. (The insides are painted with cute anime characters to boost morale.) Elon Musk prototyped an electric container to replace the Tesla since the container is more aesthetically appealing than the car and has a lot more battery room. The mayor of Detroit has decided to replace his decaying city with containers. The old buildings will be demolished and the rubble hauled off in other containers, loaded onto rafts made of containers, and shipped to China via the St. Laurence seaway where it will be ground up and the metal residue used to make more containers. US Navy SEALS stealthily infiltrate enemy ports using containers cunningly disguised as containers. Israel is solving the Palestinian problem by storing them in containers. (Germany tried to solve the Jewish problem using wooden freight cars, but the container hadn't been invented yet.) Donald Trumps border wall will be easily affordable if built from containers. Any Beaners who slip in by other routes can be detained in containers then trucked to Beanland where containers will be donated as housing.

>> No.1141830

>>1141826
>Shipping containers can survive BRRRRRRRRRRRRT

/k/ needs to know.

>> No.1141868

>>1141739
>There are about 6 holes in total
>Been meaning to repair the leaky fucker as it is but bills piled up.
>Have access to free dump truck and backhoe use.
tear it down.

you'll bee more than 1k in the repair, if you have the dosh for the deductible get somebody to do it. if you cant cover the deductible get a dumpster and put the roof and siding in it and burn the rest

>> No.1141877

Put a tarp over it and call your insurance immediately. It will cost more than 1000 and if you wait they will deny you. They'll send out an adjuster to get an estimate to fix it. But at any point you can say screw it I will take care of it myself. If you wait get in over your head more damage happens then you can get denied because you waited and be out thousands. From a Guy who's supply line to the fridge flooded his whole house while on vacation. Total interior redo.

>> No.1141912

take better pictures...

if there are multiple holes (and "busted and rotted" things), the whole roof should probably be redone....whether or not that would be more than $1,000 would depend largely on the size

>> No.1141957

>>1141826
Thanks for spreading this copypasta.

>> No.1142637

>>1141740
Of all the places and memes and horse shit why did i not think of this.

Wewlad thanks. I probably will...

>> No.1142638

>>1141747
Its a dilapidated shithole for sure.

Soon as i pay the tree cucks another $1,000 for monkey tree removal i might paint it and start a gofund me.

$10,000 and i will burn my garage to the ground.

>> No.1142641

>>1141761
$1,000 deductible and cocksucker insurance only will pay to have holes and shit repaired. Was praying for a couple grand check at least... no dice. Good thing there is a 100% chance of rain tomorrow and another fucking tornado coming.

Maybe this one will take out my shitty crackhouse and i can just fucking move...

>> No.1142642

>>1141809
Cool. Just sucks because i am a hoarder and i hate throwing away my shit.

>> No.1142643
File: 1.09 MB, 2560x1440, Screenshot_20170302-151223.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1141830
Topkek. Guess i should dig a hole in my garage and shove a shipping container in it.

Always wanted to dig a tunnel in it anyway and make a litteral man cave under the street with my brother in law.

Sadly he impregnated a fucking 3 toed sloth and had to move away.

My new brother in law is not into playing umderground in my rape cave with me.

Mfw

>> No.1142645

>>1141868
Got dudebro up the street with a hoe. I might.

Was really hoping a couple hundred bux would cover it. Oh well

>> No.1142646

>>1141877
Fuuuuck man. Shitty.

Thanks

>> No.1142648

>>1141912
>muh 4 mb limit...

I did. Fucking hiro...

After gettimg a better look at it that entire half of the roof is buckled. Repairs rather than building half a roof is pointless.

>> No.1142663

>>1142648
you can always do what the other anon said, throw a tarp over it, and secure it really well...at least for the time being

see if there's anything you want to sell or can store in another place

>> No.1142880

>>1142663
I will. Most of it should be fine. Random old tools and old glass bottles and shit for a project.

>> No.1144065

>>1142663
My particle board shelves are fucked but luckily i moved anything thst can be damaged by water a long tine ago. Judt gonna sell/give/toss my shit and light a match i think