[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 2 KB, 196x211, Flask.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
105276 No.105276 [Reply] [Original]

So /diy/ i have a conundrum. I recently bought a stainless steel 8 oz. flask for my friend but it's plain and i would like to customize it.
Any ideas on how i should go about this without making the flask into a piece of shit?
pic related

>> No.105281

leather belt sheath.

>> No.105288

More along the lines of paint.
>>105281

>> No.105292

>>105288
Paint a cock and balls on it.

>> No.105299

Return it to the store to get your money back.

>> No.105304

Etch that shit.

>> No.105324
File: 296 KB, 2560x1920, N2K0r.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Buy thin sheet steel
Cover it in sellotape
Print out a logo
Stick the logo on the sellotape
Cut around the logo lightly (enough to go through both the printout and sellotape) with a scalpel.
Peel off the printout and sellotape where the logo is
Dip the logo into a solution of water, salt, and vinegar.
Leave until it's as rusty as you want it (a few hours - a few days
Spray on some kinda of enamel to prevent further rusting.

turns out lookin like in zee picture!

>> No.105331

>>105324
Sounds great except for the fact that i dont think they would want to drink out of a rusty flask.

>> No.105387

>>105324
I am pretty sure that wount work on stainless steel.

>> No.105433

>>105387
You just need the right chemical. (No I don't know what it is or what the proper resist would be.)

>> No.105438

What you want my friend is Electro Etching
Get a Car battery charger (make sure it has jumper cable type clips on it), a plastic bucket, clear packing tape, a design, and a large steel bolt or steel plate similar size of the flask.

Cover the sides and bottom of the flask in tape. Don't worry about the top. Then use an exacto knife to cut out your design from the tape.

Put the flask and the steel item in the plastic bucket, fill with water, but not to the point it goes over the tape and touches the top of the flask.

Add salt to the water. Alot. Like a quarter cup of salt.

Clip the positive wire of the battery charger to the flask, and the negative to the steel object. Do not turn it on yet.

Make sure your steel object it places directed infront of the design, but is not touching it. At all. This is important.

Turn the charger on, Stand back. Wait.

Make sure you are doing this somewhere well ventilated, hydrogen and oxygen are a by product of this process.

Depending on the charger this could take longer or shorter. I got a good deep etch after a couple hours. So after some time passes. Turn the charger off, pull out the flask and check the depth of the etch. Also, watch your water levels. If they get too low, stop everything and add more water.

I will not claim this is safe. But I will vouch this works.

>> No.105440

>>105433
How about ferric chloride with a laser printer/toner resist?

Print onto a high gloss paper and then iron face down onto the ss, immerse in FeCl3 (heated, optionally) and then scrub off the toner with a sponge.

>> No.105459

I've always wanted to try the swirly scratches you see on like decorative stainless paneling (bathroom stall panels, wall paneling, etc.). Could give that a go. Kind of boring for this application though I guess.

>> No.105469

Make a stencil and spray-paint it.

>> No.105472

This guide was made for engraving swords but the concept is still the same.
http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/sword-engraving.html

basically the small scale of >>105438

>> No.105476

>>105438
>electrical discharge machining

>> No.105571

>>105438
Salt? Table salt? Sodium Chloride? Electrolytic decomposition.... =?

Take a guess. The Hydrogen and Oxygen "brown gas" could light off, sure. But the Chlorine gas from the salt will choke your ass out, and quick. Use laundry soda. Not baking soda. Laundry soda.

Fuck.

>> No.105576

>>105571
Protip:
>don't perform the reaction in a garbage bag cohabitated by your head

Problem solved.

>> No.105579

>>105576
Or... at all? Especially when there is a reliable substitute readily available without the risk of renal damage and potentially hazardous chemical reaction.

>> No.105584

>>105579
Its people like you that made it illegal to buy labware in Texas.

So what if a few kids aren't smart enough to work outside or use a fume hood? They were having fun, weeding their dumb asses out of the gene pool, and helping control the human population boom.

Win-win-win.

>> No.105586

>>105584

Even Oliver Sacks managed to launch his ass through a window a few times with household chemistry as a kid.

The smart kids are the ones most likely to get hurt. There's nothing more dangerous than a brilliant mind that doesn't know anything yet.

....I hear what your saying about moralfags ruining the fun, but I don't think that's what the dude was on about. I'll take the superior, less dangerous reaction every time, thanks.

>> No.105587

>>105584
More like I've nearly been killed by the idiocy of such people. If your neighbor blows his garage to hell and the fire spreads to your house, you'll understand my irritation with the concept. Doing almost exactly the same thing mentioned here, in fact.

>> No.105588

>>105586
Pretty much this. I didn't say "don't do it". I said "Don't do it that way."

>> No.105589

>>105584

No idea about Murkanistan, but here the usual excuses for limitations are drug laboratories and home-made explosives, not experimenter safety.

>> No.105596

How about you don't do this because you will surely fuckup and ruin the flask.

>> No.105613

>>105587
I'm actually hoping my house burns down/falls over, but I get what you mean.

Its a pretty good arguement against living in cities/suburbs.

>>105586
Personal safety is a personal responsibility. If I have the supplies for a slightly more dangerous process on hand, i'd much rather take extra caution over extra expense.

>>105589
I disagree with mandating drug control by preventing the public access to accurate scientific instrumentation, as any illegal drug operation is more than willing to obtain materials by illegal means if need be.

Such legislation places intent to prepare sodium methoxide in the same bin as intent to prepare methamphetamines.

>> No.105703

>>105571

Thank you for your information, I wasn't aware that I was creating chlorine with that process. I always worked outside, on windy days, so as to keep fumes from building up, but I wasn't aware how bad those fumes were.

Laundry soda, eh? I'll check it out. I assume it doesn't produce any harmful vapors, though I imagine I still have to deal with the hydrogen and oxygen produced.

>> No.105711

>>105276
You could heat it up cherry red, in a kiln or with an acetylene torch, the smash your genitals up against it. That would be very custom and lasting.

>> No.106455

>>105613
I live on a 65 acre cattle ranch now, but that wasn't the case at the time.

>>105703
Carbon dioxide. About all. You can also heat baking soda to around 120C and get the same thing. You just want sodium carbonate, baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. Slightly nastier reaction, but still better than basic salt.

>> No.106644

I read this whole thread, and I'm just amazed. You want to intentionally start your brand spanking new flask rusting? Why not stick to ink. Or if you want a rusty look, make the logo on another piece of metal, then pick it up off of the metal with a piece of clear packing tape, then encapsulate the rust in lacquer and then apply the now fully encapsulated iron oxide logo onto your flask.

>> No.107112

>>105711
could we see some schematics?

>> No.107127

i was just in FL keys and i saw some sop seeling a plain flask with a sticker wraped around it for 30 bucks.

find some sticker website
design badass sticker
profit

>> No.107130

>>107127
this, clearcoat, profit?