[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 133 KB, 600x600, SKU127209t(1)[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1029337 No.1029337 [Reply] [Original]

So I'm great with computers, work in IT and all that but this electrical stuff is just not making sense to me. This is why I'm not an engineer.

So I need to get about 17.4 metres (57") of led strips setup and with a wireless controller. I've found these cheap Chinese ones which look like they'll be good enough, but I don't get what kind of power I need for them.

I guess I just need to multiply the wattage by 4? That would be 240w and so I just get a 240w power supply? And what kind of wiring do I need to do to get this kind of supply working?

Will connecting 4 of these together even work in the first place and all be controllable by the one remote? Is there any other parts I'm missing? I'm completely out of my element here.

Strips: http://www.banggood.com/5M-RGB-Non-Waterproof-300-LED-SMD-5050-LED-Strip-Light-DC-12V-p-925678.html

Controller: http://www.banggood.com/Wireless-Dimmer-Touch-Panel-Controller-RF-Remote-For-RGB-LED-Strip-Light-DC12-24V-p-1050313.html

Power Supply: http://www.banggood.com/240W-110-220V-to-12V-20A-Switching-Power-Supply-For-Strip-Light-p-73834.html

>> No.1029349

If no-one here can help, does anyone know of another site I can go to or a tutorial,etc?

>> No.1029474

You dont have to calculate shit. Thats an LED RGB SMD 5050 (5 meters long) and they make specific parts for those. One power adapter per 5 meter roll. Just dont get cheap and start guessing on whats parts to use. Just buy the proper parts. All over ebay. Get the seller to answer these questions.

>> No.1029495

You're good to go with that setup... If you google powering LEDs, you'll find a lot of confusing stuff, involving constant current, constant voltage, forward voltage, voltage drop, load resistors, parallel, series, ohms law, etc...

Looks as though these are 3 parallel at a time with individual resistors to match the current of each led if supplied with 12 volt... All you need to do is give it regulated 12 volt, (no wall warts) and the power supply you're looking at looks legit...

My only concern would be Daisy chaining these things together... Think Christmas lights. The usually tell you not to string more than X number of boxes together, because those little wires can only carry so much power...

>> No.1029593

>>1029337
> So I need to get about 17.4 metres (57") of led strips setup
Usually you can cut the strips every three LEDs. It's always marked on the strip.

>I guess I just need to multiply the wattage by 4?
The wattage information of the strip are self-contradictory. They say both that it's total 60W, and 0.2W each LED, but some wattage is lost on the resistors as well. Assuming 12W/m, with 17.4m you need 208.8W (and trivially 17.4 Amps).

>That would be 240w and so I just get a 240w power supply? And what kind of wiring do I need to do to get this kind of supply working?
Yes, 240 is fine. I always install slightly more powerful PSU.
The controller is close to it's limit in terms of current (18A). It will work, but may heat. Make sure the heat can dissipate well.

> Will connecting 4 of these together even work in the first place and all be controllable by the one remote?
Yes. But as that anon: >>1029495 said, watch out not to put too high current through the first strip. Ask the seller if the diameter of the track is sufficient. If it's not, just supply each strip directly from the controller.

>>1029474
Don't listen to this guy, LED strips come in different wattage, so different power supplies are needed. Also, you usually need to cut those for a specific length.

>> No.1029624

You are correct on the wattage calculations but the remote units can usually only switch enough power for one strip. Also, they tend to get rather warm at the end closest to the power supply so I wouldn't imagine connecting multiple strips together is a good idea, better to run a power cable to each.

Also, if you can do without RGB fancyness and have any intentions of mostly using them for white light, do yourself a favor and get the strips of white LEDs (I recommend the warm white, the 'cool' white is more of a turquoise).

Finally, in my experience, the heat generated makes the silicone turn brown and brittle within 9 months, unless you're using them somewhere near water then definitely get the non waterproof ones.

>> No.1029625

>>1029593
>LED strips come in different wattage, so different power supplies are needed

As long as the power supply is rated for equal to or greater than the draw of the strips and is the correct voltage, he's good.

>> No.1030100
File: 2.97 MB, 480x270, output_QQzhUp.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1029625

^This^

Even if it's not it will just appear dim towards the end of the strip.

>> No.1030104
File: 1.69 MB, 3096x4128, 20160322_134058.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1029624

>turn brown and brittle within 9 months

Not mine. I have had multiple strips running for quite some time with no changes in the silicone wrapping.

>> No.1031836

>>1029593

>Ask the seller if the diameter of the track is sufficient.

>just supply each strip directly from the controller

I'm not sure what these both mean.

Thanks for the rest of the information though.

>> No.1032487

>>1029337
industrial designer working for the biggest household distributor in europe here

The led drivers are always overdimensionned. aim for a 300W alim minimum, if what's said on banggood is true.

As a piece of example, an european market rated 5m led strip uses about 25/30W, so this might be shit leds...

>> No.1032489

>>1032487
oh, and aim for non siliconed strips. The adhesive used on these is usually very shitty, and the silicone makes the strip come off its support (usually the adhesive needs 72hr for a full bond)