[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 269 KB, 2000x1111, 463782257.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9973497 No.9973497 [Reply] [Original]

What's the best rice? What's the trick to making rice sticky so you can make shapes out of it?

>> No.9973501

I like jasmine rice the best. If you don't overwash it it stays sticky too so you can make shapes and stuff.

>> No.9973502

>>9973497
Before cooking I wash the rice until the water comes out clear, then after put in rice wine vinegar near the end to make it sticky.

>> No.9973511

>>9973502
>then after put in rice wine vinegar near the end to make it sticky.
Is that really all it takes? I keep hearing all these different techniques, like only slow cool it, then warm it back up before you shape it, or make sure it doesn't dry completely, or things like that.

>> No.9973536

>>9973511
I haven't heard anything special about temperature, but yeah I just throw in some rice wine vinegar near the end and toss it in the pot before letting it sit for 5 more minutes, and it comes out nice, sticky, and moldable. It's also good to wet your hands slightly before molding the rice, which will prevent sticking to your hands. Rinsing out all the starch before cooking is important too.

>> No.9973538

Freshly cooked rice is sticky enough to make some shapes I think?

>> No.9973561

>>9973536
>I haven't heard anything special about temperature
Glad I asked here. The recipe book I got was very, very specific that you need to let it cool naturally for about an hour before even considering putting it into the fridge or something if you wanted it to be sticky. Any special kind of rice you recommend?

>> No.9973588

Step 1: buy sticky rice.
This could be called by various names. Besides 'sticky rice' it may be called sweet rice, glutinous rice, Lao rice, Isan rice, pearl rice, wax[y] rice, ketan rice, malagkit, pulut or mochi rice, among others. Look for sacks of rice carrying any one of those terms.
Step 2: wash and rinse the rice.
Wash the rice gently in at least three changes of water. If you're too rough, the water will never be clear because you'd be breaking the grains, coating everything in rice dust. Once the water comes out fairly clear, indicating you've washed away most-to-all of the rice dust, rinse the rice.

Step 3: soak and cook the rice.
Soak the rice in plain water at least 1 hour prior to cooking. If you intend to steam the rice, drain it after soaking and set it into your steamer then allow it to cook until done through, about 20-30 minutes. This is much easier than the alternative, which is detailed below.

If you intend to pressure boil the rice, soak it in premeasured water. The exact amount necessary will vary according to how much rice you're cooking. For 450g (just shy of 1lb) of rice, I use 360ml of water, but YMMV.
No need to drain. You can soak the rice directly in the rice cooker for the required time then just turn the cooker on. Some people use a timer function, setting it to a 1 hour wait, then a 12-30 minute cook time, depending on model of rice cooker. Mine cooks by high pressure so 12 minutes cook + 15 minute depressurisation makes perfect rice.

Step 4: shape/eat your fucking rice.
Allow rice to cool to just the point where the heat is tolerable then go to town.

>> No.9973651
File: 12 KB, 480x360, ok.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

no were never gonna survive unlesss....we get a little gravy.

>> No.9973661
File: 39 KB, 524x524, 71hylT4iKWL._SY524_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My pressure cooker has a steamer tray. Is it possible to cook rice on that tray, while cooking something else (like a curry) underneath? Or do I need to empty it out and rinse it to do the rice separately (i.e. - the steamer tray would let me steam vegetables/fish *while* cooking rice as the main meal)?

>> No.9974031

Chef John made a pretty good tutorial video for this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg-BP8jb_g8

>> No.9974047

>>9973497
Don’t put oil of any kind in your rice and it will be sticky to some degree. Some varieties of rice are stickier than others. Just buy sushi rice or sticky rice if you want to sculpt it like that.

>> No.9974052

>>9973497
>What's the trick

10 years sweep floor
10 years wash rice
20 years cook rice
20 years study shapes
only then will secret be not a secret

>> No.9974067

>>9973651
Okay seal... it’s crazy not gravy and you know it.

>> No.9974124
File: 891 KB, 1098x1521, rice2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

my technique, which makes perfect sticky rice every time:

>get short grain, glutinous rice (look for "gao nep" on the packaging; pic related
>rinsing is for faggots
>put rice in rice maker
>however much rice = add 1.5x water
>stir it up, break up rice clumps
>let sit for ??? hours, usually overnight, but whatever
>hit cook
>when its done, let sit for at least 30m-1h

always comes out great. no work to it; ill usually let the rice soak overnight and then hit cook as soon as i wake up. then i have sticky rice for the day.

>> No.9974127

shortgrain rice like calrose is good

>> No.9974135

>>9974124
forgot to add, when you let it "rest", dont open the rice cooker. that's the whole point, to get the steam going.

>> No.9974341

What's the trick for not sticky rice but not undercooked either?

>> No.9974443

Basmati, motherfuckers.