[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 91 KB, 1200x1200, 61WN6CGvvuL._SL1200_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9758701 No.9758701 [Reply] [Original]

Hey guys. Does anyone have any experience with Air Fryers?

I was always pretty skeptical, they seem about as efficient as just using a conventional oven, but there's a "Comfee 1500W Multi Function Electric Hot Air Fryer with 2.6 Qt." one on sale for 56USD on Amazon right now. I was thinking of getting it as a present for someone, and honestly don't know what to expect. Is it worth the price? I don't want to spend that money on some unitasker that saves no time/taste bad on results.

>> No.9758705

Why would you be skeletal about hair dryers are they dengerous

>> No.9758723

>>9758701
So is this a meme or is someone literally getting paid to post threads about air fryers?

>> No.9758730

>>9758723
(((air fryers))) pol meme alert!

>> No.9758740

>>9758723

Has there been more than this one? I'm genuinely asking, I haven't seen people talk about this else than adverts and amazon reviews, and like some Gordon Ramsey video. Some of the reviews are really sketchy on these as well, and the reception seems to be iffy.

I just wanna know if it would make a good present/purchase.

>> No.9758745

I don't understand what realistically differentiates these from a standard convection oven, other than being less versatile.

>> No.9758752

>>9758701
I want to get one primarily for homemade fries but feel like it won't do much better of a job than oven/cookie sheet

they had a rosewill 5 quart one for like 50 bucks after MIR but passed 9on it

>> No.9758754

>>9758701
I have one and enjoy it. It's a convection oven but the fan is bigger and faster and the vessel is smaller. Do you cook for a lot of people? I only cook for me and my girlfriend so it works for us. It cooks faster than an oven and for me acts kinda like a microwave that can handle metal and can crisp up food that's become soggy. It roasts veggies really fast without needing to position them evenly on a baking tray.

>> No.9758767

>>9758754

How large is yours for comparison?

>> No.9758770

im going to buy one because i found one on sale and report back to u within three days make sure to keep necrobumping this thread until im back

>> No.9758787

>>9758767
https://www.philips.com.hk/en/c-p/HD9240_90/avance-collection-airfryer-xl-with-rapid-air-technology#see-all-benefits

I can't figure out the size by liter, it's only got it in kg which doesn't make any sense. It's that one.

>> No.9758805

>>9758787

I'm going to assume 5.4 Quart atleast since the other XL model is that. The one on sale is definitely smaller, which begs the question if it's just good enough for you and your girlfriend would it be decent for like meal prepping or anything.

>> No.9758812

My buddy has one of these and the fries it makes are kinda nasty. Texture of apple chips, for teh worse. Dont do it.

>> No.9759300

>>9758805
I dunno, I do meal prep with mine. It can roast enough veggies for a few days worth of eating. It can fit enough mac and cheese for like 8 servings I'd say. I personally probably wouldn't get the smaller one but if I only cooked for myself then I probably wouldn't need the larger one. The thing with it is you don't need to layer everything you're baking on a single sheet so it can punch above its size for things that require that. What are you thinking of using it for? I can let you know from experience if it would work.

>> No.9759331

I've used one for about 6 months after I got one through Home depot on clearance. It's similar to the Phillips one posted above.

The device's main strengths are basically its ability to quickly cook pre-frozen stuff that you'd normally fry without frying it. Stuff like frozen french fries, hash brown patties, chicken nuggets, fish sticks, etc. Stuff like that cooks pretty damn good in it I have to say. Cleanup is easy, and not having to deal with hot oil is nice.

The problem is that its versatility stops pretty well short of a legit deep fryer. I've tried to follow making the fried chicken recipe the booklet that came with the fryer provided and it's mediocre at best, comes out like shake and bake chicken with soggy sides unless you're aggressively turning the chicken in the basket to make sure it crisps evenly.

Also if you load the basket to the max capacity, you're going to have uneven doneness on the food. I noticed this in particular with french fries and onion rings. The device excels when you only half load it, and can spread the food inside more evenly around the cooking basket.

TLDR - If you're constantly cooking pre-frozen food that'd normally need to be fried/baked for 1-2 people it's a nice device, but otherwise a gimmick that takes up way too much storage/counter space when not in use.