[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 20 KB, 470x313, images (37).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9477328 No.9477328 [Reply] [Original]

I need your best pancake recipe please /ck/.

My father in law thinks he is billy big bollocks with his Sunday morning pancakes and always lords it over everybody. Please /ck/ allow me to wipe that shit eating grin of his face next time they come to stay. Looking for slightly crispy and well risen.

>> No.9477353

>>9477328
just google how to make ihop pancakes

>> No.9477357

>>9477328
Some things to note,
Let the batter sit after mixing, don't oil the pan or griddle, flip as gently as you can. One of the most important things is the flour/milk ratio, I prefer the batter to not hold its shape but that's me. Make sure you have enough syrup

>> No.9477392

>>9477328
My mom always made banana pancakes.

>> No.9477401

>>9477328
Say no mo'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPLVNKgs8Lk

>> No.9477444

>>9477328
Look up cottage cheese protein pancakes.

Also, start eating them yourself, go to >/fit/ and beat the shit out of your FiL when you get swole you sad cunt.

>> No.9477489
File: 3.00 MB, 854x480, hot_fluffy_buttery_sweet_sticky_cakes.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Do you like your 'cakes thicc or thin, /ck/? A childhood friend's mom used to make them thin and we'd slice them with a pizza cutter and the buttery syrup would fill the crevices.

>> No.9477530

>>9477328
Take a standard, classic recipe, then double the amounts of white sugar and vanilla extract in it. Replace the milk in the recipe with half & half. When you add the liquids (I like to make the batter the consistency of stirred yogurt) to the sifted dry ingredients DO NOT over-stir. Seriously, just like in that old Good Eats episode, mix for 10 seconds only. The batter should still have some lumps. While you were making the batter, have a 10-12" cast iron skillet heating up on the stove on medium heat. Should be on there for about 5-10 minutes before you're ready to cook. For every pancake, toss a 1 tablespoon pat of butter in the skillet. Swirl it around and wait for it to bubble up. When the bubbles subside a little, pour in enough batter to make the pancake go right to the edges of the skillet. When you see bubbles on the top surface, gently flip the pancake. If when you lift the pancake, the pan looks dry hold it up on the spatula while you throw a little bit of butter down there on the pan After about a minute use a spatula to left up the edge to peek at the bottom without flipping. After every pancake, wipe out the butter with a paper towel and repeat the process. It just gets too brown after each one. You could keep going with whatever butter remained in the pan if you made some clarified butter beforehand, but I never bother.

These are big pancakes and most people can only eat two. They're best right off the skillet, but if you're making a lot, double pan it or have a plate in the oven set to 200F to stage them before serving. My pancakes have gotten me laid, so you probably shouldn't let your father-in-law stand behind you if you make them like this.

>> No.9477531

>>9477530
Adjusting as you go:
If the pancake is too thick for you, add a little milk.
If the first one comes out too dark, lower the heat.

>> No.9477642

>>9477530
>>9477531
Wow, I'm really bored today, so I'm gonna ramble on about the reasoning behind all of this.

As for the cast iron meme skillet, they just work exceptionally well for this because of the heat retention. Allows you to have a medium (or lower) setting on the burner without having a weak back-side on the pancake. A lot of people have decent fronts, but shitty backs. That and the laziness of not having to spot-apply more butter for the flip-side that a non-stick surface allows makes them so.

The reason you really don't want to over-mix your batter is that as soon as the liquid components hit the baking powder, it starts to activate. You're losing rise and fluffiness there. If you leave it lumpy–and I'm talking random lumps of dry about the size of a pea throughout–the steam action that happens on the heat wets them. Over-mixing in a big way can also start some chewy, dense gluten bonds forming. This is not good. The eggs are there in the batter to help hold the bubble-lattice. Sure, you could add more baking powder to get more rise, but you're adding some unpleasant acrid flavors when you start to go down this path. I sometimes think this is part of the origin story for using buttermilk. Uh, yeah.. it's supposed to be kinda sour. All of this shit still applies if you want thinner pancakes. Just add a little more milk until you like it. You should be cooking it all within half an hour, too. It just goes flat on you as the baking soda pre-activates.