[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 32 KB, 650x366, 529862-generic-wine[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7700675 No.7700675 [Reply] [Original]

any al/ck/s on here drink wine?

The limited experience I've had with wine has been terrible, it's always tasted unpleasantly sour. I've always much preferred drinking Port for it's sweetness and higher alcohol volume.

Do any of you have suggestions for a good type of red wine to get me into the stuff?

>> No.7700680

I drink win almost exclusively. If you don't like sour or bitter wines, why are you insisting on drinking red?

I only drink whites and rose for that reason.

>> No.7700689

>>7700680
>why are you insisting on drinking red?

I've always heard reds were the most flavorsome

>> No.7700693

I'm a beer fella myself but I'm interested in this thread. I've always wanted to know some of the basic wine pairings. Any anons Vino pros? Like when do you drink sauvgnion blanc vs pinot grigio? What pairs with a rose wine, sparkling wine, or a chardonnay? Etc, etc

>> No.7700715

>>7700693
Yeah here's a pro tip for you, "vino" is only meant to refer to italian red

>> No.7700728

>>7700715
Here's a pro tip for you. Your mom thinks you're a faggot

>> No.7700732

>>7700715
No, vino is literally the Italian and Spanish word for wine. It's used in combination with other words to specify type or style of wine; vino blanco, vino rojo, etc.

>> No.7700898

>>7700675
You were born in the wrong time, anon. Sweet wine was much more popular in the past than it is now. Dry wines are very much in fashion. My guess is this happened because around the world the French have pretty much established the format for fine dining , and they (with a few exceptions like Sauternes and foie gras) tend to pair dry wines with food. Not only do they dislike residual sugar in wine, they go so far as to consider overt fruitiness vulgar, because to their way of thinking a fruity wine clashes with food.

In Australia and the US West coast fruitiness has been embraced, along with a little residual sugar, but sweet wines remain a little out of fashion.

In a way this can be a good thing for the lover of sweet wines, because some classic sweet wines are now undervalued. German Mosel wines are classic sweet whites that don't sell nearly as well today as they did in the past. If your taste leans toward sweet wines I'd recommend looking there for bargains.

>> No.7700923
File: 490 KB, 449x401, image.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7700732

> vino rojo

>> No.7700949

>>7700898
Also, if you really want red wine Georgia (the country, not the US state) makes excellent semi-dry reds. They aren't usually expensive, but depending on where you live they can be hard to find. What the Georgians consider semi-dry is pretty fucking sweet compared to most French wine.

>> No.7701029

>>7700693
Classic pairings:
White Bordeaux/Muscadet with oysters on the half shell
Macon-Villages with salmon or trout
Cotes-du-Rhone with pizza (not kidding)
Red Burgundy with beef
Red Bordeaux with lamb
Chianti with red sauced pasta
Port with pear and blue cheese
Amontillado sherry with aged cheese and roasted almonds
Fino sherry with serrano ham
Riesling with pork and sauerkraut
Gruner-Veltliner with asparagus

>> No.7701059

>>7700898
>>7700949
thanks, I'm going to pick up a bottle of Mosel wine and give it a go

>> No.7701061

>>7700923
Yes?

>> No.7701097

>>7701029

>Cotes-du-Rhone with pizza

Shit. I know what I'm having tonight.

>> No.7701152

>>7701059
My pleasure. I'm not a fan of sweet wines myself, but both my father and SiL are, so I keep an eye out for good ones. The Mosel would be good against pork and sauerkraut...

Two warnings about sweet wines:

They hit you hard in terms of hangovers if you overdo it. The sugar in sweet wines is fructose, and the only organ in your body that can process it is your liver, which you're already slamming with alcohol. So sweet wine in quantity is kind of a one-two punch on the liver.

The second thing to be careful of is that there are a number of really poor quality fortified wines and wine products marketed to people who wanted a cheap drunk and didn't like the taste of alcohol. The popularity of these "bum wines" in previous generations is probably part of the remaining stigma against sweet wine. Avoid them.

>> No.7701200

>>7700675
Britchap to the rescue.

I like Port too but it has a time and a place and everyday drinking is not a good idea.

When it comes to red wines, I am a big fan of Spanish Rioja - it's often very dry but has a rich 'meaty' taste.

But for general drinkability, I would would go for some new-world wines and Chile has some very good produce, I would highly recommend you play with some of those first.

>> No.7701220

>>7701200
Clappyfat here, I don't know the bongistani wine scene but here in clapistan the rioja region has a lot going on, from tannic meat juice to refreshing unoaked juice trying to be gamay. And then there's the whites which are also all over the map.

It's great if you're willing to put in the kind of autism that new world wine requires to figure out what the fuck is going to come out of the bottle, but for a noob, unless you want to start listing bodegas, it's going to be a bit of a crapshoot just picking a random rioja and popping the cork.