[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 574 KB, 433x584, waiter.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6796380 No.6796380 [Reply] [Original]

Any bar/food industry workers on /ck/?

Stories welcome.

>> No.6796422

After culinary school, the job placement program they had in order shoved me into a bar job. 8.50/hr. even as a naive fresh outta school in a new city kid as I was I figured that wasnt right.

This kitchen was tiny, Two man line, 2 fryers, a small grill, and a stand up cooler. The kitchen had a small island with cutting boards and under the counter coolers so it was compact, Cozy as a realtor would say.

What they didnt tell me while I was applying for the job was that not only was I cooking. I was also prepping, and washing dishes, and doing general utility work all at the same time. Yes I know, boo hoo doing work, but still. In a sports bar, on wing night, trying to fry off twelve dozen wings, make hamburgers, wash the few serving dishes we have, make more wing sauce, fix this order, not flip out on a server, and try to not burn myself severely to get out of work. it was not worth 8.50/hr.

Though there are a few minor good memories that stuck around as In-jokes

>> No.6796692

I work in a grocery store bakery. Not much to say though one of my co workers is pregnant which means hell for our department in a few months.

>> No.6796729

>>6796692
she's gonna eat everything..

>> No.6796748

>>6796729
eh whatever. I'll probably end up transferring stores anyway.

>> No.6796752

>>6796748
when you gonna come raise this baby, anon?

>> No.6796758

>>6796752
lol hell no. especially the way she's treated me lately. Plus i just don't like kids.

>> No.6796764

>>6796758
shouldnt have creamed those buns
given her the old yeast infection

>> No.6796774

>>6796764
Actually i would have hit that but someone got there before me. I just flirt with every chick now tho.

>> No.6796778
File: 67 KB, 381x383, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6796764
now she's got

a bun in the oven

YEAHHHHHHH

>> No.6796780
File: 6 KB, 250x250, 2edz092.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>get job at some Indian restaurant out of town
>place is an absolute shithole
>only half the burners on the stove work, freezer shuts off randomly for hours at a time, garbage constantly everywhere
>food is shite
>get about a dozen customers a day
>fuckthisshit.png
>quit, go to work at a steakhouse/bar close to my house
>2 months later
>paki owner phones me
>literally everyone there quit, he wants me to come back
>ha no
>"come on, I'll pay you 5 grand a month"
No shit I'd be making that much, I'd be working 100 hours a week if I was the only cook there you jabroni

>> No.6796786
File: 26 KB, 150x188, 2gen-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6796780
Did you do it? I would have.

>> No.6796801

>>6796786
Not a chance. The place is going out of business very soon. I swear the building's cursed because it's gone through about 4 different restaurants in the past year.

>> No.6796817

>>6796380
I bartended at a german themed restaurant that has been around since the 50s... the clientele average age had to be 60+. once I had to use our margarita blender to blend somebody's plate of food for them since they couldn't chew. wasn't too thrilled about that

>> No.6797236
File: 40 KB, 300x400, Two Hearted 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I worked for Bell's Brewery for 3 years.
Oberon isn't a consistent beer - it just boils down to the brewing process; the flavor will vary slightly from batch to batch, with a yeasty wheat ale like this, its nigh inevitable.

Bells' founder doesn't care for pumpkin beer, which is why Bell's never has and never will brew one at any high scale of production (i.e. more than a few kegs to tap in a tasting room). Our Oktoberfest is pretty fantastic, though.

Our brewhouse uses a green turf roof and many sources of green energy in order to reduce our carbon footprint. We don't advertise of publicize this fact.

The beer garden located at our pub/original brewhouse holds up to 800 people and regularly hosts bands during the summer - examples of past acts include Jefferson Starship and George Clinton & Parilament Funkadelic.

Bell's availability in the Chicago area is spotty/weak (especially considering that its within 150 miles of Kalamazoo, where Bell's is based) because the distributors in the Chicago area are overly strict/demanding and are a remnant of prohibition. We do get some distribution, but not as much as you would think, because we insist that we distribute there on our own terms - and our brand is too attractive to be completely ignored/shut down.

>> No.6797318

>>6797236
>Bell's availability in the Chicago area is spotty/weak (especially considering that its within 150 miles of Kalamazoo, where Bell's is based) because the distributors in the Chicago area are overly strict/demanding and are a remnant of prohibition. We do get some distribution, but not as much as you would think, because we insist that we distribute there on our own terms - and our brand is too attractive to be completely ignored/shut down.
Bells is all over chicago you whiny faggot. And alcohol distribution is controlled by each state individually, that's why it seems "overly strict" or a "remnant of prohibition." Learn what you're talking about before you go on spewing nonsense

>> No.6797860

>>6797318
what's Bell's?

>> No.6800371

>>6797860
Restaurant about 4 blocks from us got robbed tonight. Scary shit.

>> No.6800625

I work at 7-Eleven. All of our food is hand-picked fresh from our back room freezer by our skilled associates and prepared in our artisan turbo-microwave for your shitty gas station dining pleasure,

>> No.6800630

>>6796692
i too work in a grocery store
in the deli. not bad, i just get such shit hours because im a little slow working. but they still give the lady that literally leaves the deli to talk to people in the aisles and will talkback to customers 40 hours a week. meh what can you do right?
im probably going to go to another store because this one is a sinking ship

>> No.6800688

>17 years old, few months into working my first job as a line cook in a far nicer restaurant than I had any business being hired by
>worked my way from dishwasher to pantry to fry, and was finally running saute alone for the first time
>slow day, so the head chef decides to take off after lunch, before the rest of the crew comes for dinner service
>everyone calls out while he's gone
>everyone
>even the dishwashers
>it ends up being just me and the sous chef to run 6 stations + dish
>orders suddenly come pouring in, hardly have space for all the tickets
>we hadn't prepped for that volume of orders and were running low on basically everything
>both of us spend the next two hours sprinting around the kitchen, working every station simultaneously while doing an insane amount of prep work
>end up in perfect sync, every dish comes out flawless and no tables left waiting
>just as we're plating up for the last table, one of the waitresses walks in
>she mixed up pretty much every order and we have to redo the entire dinner rush, but faster
I've never been closer to ripping my apron off and walking out. Still have serious trust issues with wait staff.

>> No.6800693

I'm a chef in a restaurant on a skifield.

Am I supposed to complain here? My sous chef is awesome, my crew is just as good. Fun and competent. I genuinely enjoy the food we cook and getting a 2020m view on the chairlift at the end of the day is fucking spectacular.

>> No.6800870

I work at a small Cuban restaurant where we mostly sell sandwiches.
On a slow day, someone order a Cubano and after it was done, my co-worker dropped it than pick it back up and serve it to the customer. I would say shit to the owner but I was hungover/half-drunk and didn't want my co-worker to rat me out.

>> No.6800891
File: 28 KB, 300x438, Sacrifice-to-Morpheus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've literally had sex with grace slick, her pussy smelled rotten and I'm autistic.

>> No.6801064

Worked various job at a Kroger Grocery Store. Something magical about grocery stores is that it brings out the most insane versions of people.

>Been at the store for about a year
>Start being cashier for first time
>Pretty new to cashier system but not obviously so
>Middle-Aged couple comes up
>Everything normal, I scan all their items
>Comes time to pay
>Lady swipes her debit card
>"Why does it need my pin?"
>What?
>I assume she made a mistake so I try not to make her feel stupid and explain that debit cards need pins, credit cards do not
>She looks at me with such disgust
>"Are you new here?"
>Wat

>> No.6801085

>>6796380
>Worked in a bar one day
>Got a glass thrown into my face by a black woman
>Broken nose and temporary blindness result
>She was trying to throw it at her BF
>Get workers comp
>She settles on assault and battery charges
>Sit on my ass all summer playing vidya