[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 315 KB, 1600x900, 1435577933389[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6638809 No.6638809 [Reply] [Original]

So I'm visiting San Fran for 6 days. What places should I visit, what are some don't-miss restaurants? I'd love tips on both higher end restaurants aswell as more affordable ones

>> No.6638895

>>6638809
Don't know about any restaurants but you should definitely get some fresh seafood down at the fisherman's wharf.
Also I highly recommend renting a bicycle and riding across the golden gate.
Beautiful city.

>> No.6638963

Horrendous traffic and everything is so hilly.

>> No.6638970

>>6638963
Also this. Don't even bother trying to drive in SF because it's awful.
Luckily unlike LA there is a good public transit system in place and you can walk most places.

>> No.6638971

If you want cocktails see if you can go to Bourbon and Branch.

>> No.6638991

I went there last Feb. Great place, but it's so dimly lit. Try the Laphraiog Project.

>> No.6638997

>>6638991
Meant that as a reply to Bourbon and Branch.

>> No.6639004

>>6638809
Go to Pork Store Cafe in Haight St for breakfast.

Go to Toronados and have a Pliny the Elder on tap. All beers are $4 in the afternoon.

>> No.6639175

>>6638970
LA is honestly the biggest shit hole city I've ever been to.

>shit traffic
>no real alternatives to driving
>shit peiple - i mean, fuck, even the guys have bitch-tier attitudes
>only nice parts are reserved for rich people
>shit food except for the Mexican

and I've eaten at very expensive restaraunts off Rodeo and Beverly Drive. New Yorks food blows LAs food out of the water.

>> No.6639257

>>6639004
be sure to get the tamales next door to Toronados

also highly recommend the Church Key if you're into craft beers. Hard to find but worth it.

>> No.6639368

>>6638895
>>6638971
>>6638991
>>6639004
>>6639257
you guys are great. Thanks!

>> No.6639399

Ferry Building Oysters are a fond memory for me. Also a cool mushroom shop in the ferry building, if that interests you at all.

I dunno if it's patrician taste, but these were must-hits when visiting the city with my family.

>> No.6639520

>>6638809
HOUSE OF PRIME RIB, nigger.
thats an expensive one, but a SF classic.
As far a cheap eats, they're a dime a dozen.
And STAR OYSTER BAR, if you dont mind waitingbin line, because its just counter service. IDK, they were featured on No Reservations, so it might be ridiculous now, but theres no doubt their seafood is fantastic. IF you go to the pier, theres a place thatbhas the best garlic roasted crab and steamed clams ever. I think, Think, it was Fog Harbor.
Go to Chinatown. Walk down every street. Youll eat amazing food. In an alley, theres the best fortune cookie factory in the world, and you can buy one fresh off the line, and right across from it is a great shop to buy all sorts of kitchen items, chopsticks, bowls, etc.
Japantown is much more subdued, but theres a little indoor mall there with all sorts of good eats.

>> No.6639686

If you want actual good Chinese food, skip Chinatown and go to the Richmond or Parkside. Also the Embarcadero and Pier 39 are lame.

>> No.6640421

>>6638809

You want more authentic hole in the wall stuff on, fancier stuff or somewhere with good atmosphere where you can also knock back a few beers?

For authentic:

Best ethnic food in SF is Burmese, Pakistani and Yucatan food

Burnese the hole in the wall spot to go is Yamo. Burma Superstar is good too, but it's a lot more Americanized / trendy. Mandalay is a good middle ground.

For Pakistani, Shalimar is the place to go, no contest (the one in the tenderloin, NOT the one in Polk). Recommend the goat.

For Yucatan check out Poc Chuc. Really incentive dishes.

One ethnic item which is pure San Francisco is the "Mission Burrito". El Farolito and La Tacqueria are the two best. People will argue all day over which is better. If you go to Farolito, get carne asada burrito, at La Tacq, get the Carnitas, "Dorado" style.

For nicer restaurants I have a few recommendations:

La Ciccia - super unique Sardinian food

Tomasos - Italian joint that's pretty much only known to locals. Jerry Brown's (gov of california) favorite restaurant. Doesn't take reservations so might be a wait

Bar Crudo - amazing seafood dishes. Recommend the trout. Good date spot

For places where you can also drink some nice beers while you chow your food I recommend:

Garaje - this place is amazing but always packed. Literally everything on the menu is solid. I recommend the Cadillac Taco but you really can't go wrong. Nothing about it is close to authentic but it's incredible nonetheless

Best burgers in SF are at Pearl's and Rosamunde (only on Tuesdays at lunch). Rosamunde you can order then go next door to Toronado and drink some beers and they will call you when your food is ready (and you can eat there)

Stay away from:

Ike's is overrated garbage. If you want a solid sandwich, walk into any liquor store deli and order something on dutch crunch

Italian restaurants on Columbus

Chinese food in Chinatown (go far west in the city for chinese)

Any Thai (way over americanized)

>> No.6640424

>>6639004
>Pliny The Elder

in June?? I don't think so bro.

>> No.6640430

If you want Dim Sum, my old chinese grandma would only go to one place and call every other one crap: You's Dim Sum. Small, never crowded, and absolutely delicious.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/yous-dim-sum-san-francisco

>> No.6640432

>>6640424
holy shit it's true. I'm going there tomorrow since it will be like 104°F where I live.

>> No.6640438

>>6640421

Adding: there is literally nothing of worth in Fishermans Wharf. Don't waste a meal there. It's all tourist garbage. North Beach has some decent restaurants (I listed some earlier) but virtually anything on the main road (Columbus) is absolute shit (except Tonys for pizza).

If you have to eat in Chinatown go to Bund Shanghai or Capital Restaurant. Ignore the Yelp reviews, these are literally the only non-pastry shops in Chinatown that serve authentic food

One other burger spot I forgot to mention is Sam's in North Beach. It's the perfect "backyard" style burger and will make you nostalgia hard for bbqs with the family growing up

>> No.6640447

>>6638895
A lot of Fisherman's Wharf is really overpriced and touristy, but there is a lot of great seafood in SF, definitely. I would also suggest Little Tokyo, always had good experiences there.

If you go to Chinatown stay away from the more popular restaurants on the main street, go to whichever one has the most fob Asians.

>>6639175
While I agree (though I do find tons of people in LA to be extraordinarily friendly so I can't account for that one), plenty of other food there is great. I'm thinking Asian food really, but everything else is well represented too.

The problem with LA is that you need to know where to go and how to get there (the main issue) because if you aren't in the know you are fucked. Things just aren't advertised well there, so to speak.

>> No.6640482

>>6640447

Calling it "little Tokyo" shows you aren't from here. Japantown is an underdeveloped wasteland. SF just doesn't have a strong Japanese community, it's not worth going to, especially if you're here for just a short time

>> No.6640495

>>6640482
I never said I was from SF. All I said was that I liked the food there, the times I went.

>> No.6640555

>>6639520
The fortume cookie factory wow what nostalgia

We used to go there and get the unpressed fortune cookies on the cheap

>> No.6640577

>>6638809
If you like garlic an unhealthy amount, there's a neat restaurant called
"The stinking rose" that specializes in garlic dishes. Have fun in San Fran brah.

>> No.6641040

I enjoyed the clam chowder in the bread bowl.

>> No.6641063

>>6640577

Yea do not do this. Stinking Rose is a pure tourist trap.

Why are so many morons who are obviously not from the city and know nothing about its food, trying to comment?

If you told a local that you came into town and ate at the Stinking Rose they would laugh in your face

>> No.6641066

>>6640495

Then stop giving recommendations you fat suburban fuckface

>> No.6641075

>>6641063

I went there (as a tourist), it wasn't even that great.

I'm from NYC, so I know a tourist trap when I see one, but I wanted to go there anyway because I like garlic

>> No.6641255

>>6638809

Also don't call it "San Fran" when you're here. You sound like an idiot

>> No.6641312

>>6640424
Isn't Pliny the Younger the seasonal one? Anyway, Toronado is still a great place to go for beer.

>> No.6641321

>>6639175
Agreed. San Diego is the place to go. LA blows and San Francisco is too homeless for me. Other than that though San fran would be cool to be at.

>> No.6641348

NY native here, lived in SF for a year.
These where my favorites:
Tommy's Joynt
Stinking Rose
Blowfish
Any sushi is going to be better than most places on the east coast. Also grab a sushirrito.

>> No.6641667

Super duper burger. It's so Fucking good. Also Kevins for pho. House of prime rib yeah, but make a reservation in advance. What ever the Mexican place is right by the Bart station in the mission. I think someone mentioned the name up there. King dumpling or something in the sunset on taraval.

>> No.6641712

>>6641255
similarly dont call it "Frisco"

>>6638809

I can endorse the bakeries and cheap tacos in the mission enough.
go there and get some sourdough or donuts (I love beignets and have gotten some fantastic ones) and then some al pastor tacos at one of the mexican markets

>> No.6641955

>>6641348

>Tommy Joint

Good

>Stinking Rose

LOL

>Blowfish

Kek

>Sushirrito

LOL

Best sushi spots in the city are Kusakabe, Kappa and Akikos (the one on Bush, the one on Mason is a cheap knock off)

Eiji is decent as well.

If you're into pleb rolls and "fusion" type shit then Elephant Sushi is actually decent for that

Sushirrito is absolute fucking garbage. It's what office workers get when they want a quick lunch without having to think about it. That's why they're all over the financial district. The quality of the food is atrocious

The other Anon is completely wrong though, sushi in SF doesn't hold a candle to what you'll find in NYC or LA

>> No.6641965

>>6641955
how small is your wiener?

also LA sushi > SF sushi > Anywhere in the world not on the pacific

>> No.6641975

>>6641667

Super Duper is terrible. It's a local chain thats trying to be In and Out 2.0, taking advantage of the fact that in and Out has a corporate decree that they have to be within a certain number of miles of a freeway (and so there's only 1 in SF proper). There's many many better local burger spots than Super Duper (Pearls, Garaje, 4505, Mission Bowling, Prospect, Jaspers, Wayfare Tavern, etc)

SF is also really really weak steakhouse wise, so don't listen to the plebs that are saying House of Prime Rib. If you're from NY, you'll be sorely disappointed.

I've lived in this city forever, the one place that I always, always take friends that are visiting is El Farolito. It's something that you truly won't find anywhere else

>> No.6641979

I'm going there for my 21st... Any good lounges/bars close to great food so I can get plastered and then go eat?

>> No.6641981

>>6641979
Trader Vic's!

>> No.6641982

>>6641979
>get plastered and then go eat
You might want to do that in the reverse order.
Just sayin.

>> No.6641983

>>6641965

Aw, east bay bridge and tunnel faggot mad that I insulted his tourist shithole that his parents took him to growing up on the rare occasion they could afford to come in the city?

OP, I can guarantee you that you will not spot a single local in stinking rose. It's literally all fat, middle American tourists who have read about the restaurant in some shill guide and suburban families making the trip out to SF and spending $60 (half the dads weekly paycheck) on a "special occasion"

>> No.6641985

>>6641975
The burger at Wayfare Tavern was surprisingly good. I know that and their fried chicken are supposed to be their specials and the burger at least lived up to that name

Also its close to the financial district so its very easy to get to

>> No.6641993
File: 36 KB, 348x348, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6641979

Just go to garaje and do both at once

Actually don't. I don't want there to be a bigger line than there already is

>> No.6642001

>>6641979
To add, I'm not a big club guy, I'm more into chill drinking with great food... I love Spanish Tapas.

>> No.6642003

>>6641985

Everything there is good. It's just crazy expensive because all the older investment bankers hang out there after work

>> No.6642007

>>6642001

Check out Coqueta then. It's not authentic in any way but the dishes are really creative and the cocktails/drinks are amazing. Really good atmosphere too. recommend a reservation though

>> No.6642008

>>6638809
Cockscomb is fantastic. If you're with a group order the pig's head. Otherwise, they're beef heart tartare, mackerel, and the pork/beef bone marrow w/snails is a hedonism at its best. If you're from somewhere w/o beaners head to the mission (get off at 16th st bart station) and hit up a taco truck (do this during the day).

>> No.6642010

>>6641985
also Id rec suppenkuche in hayes valley

hayes valley as a whole has become super "hip" recently so there has been quite a bit of good food their albeit more expensive

>> No.6642012

>>6641983
8=D

accurate size?

>> No.6642014

>>6641983
wtf is the "east bay bridge"? The stinking rose is a tourist trap though.

>> No.6642020

>>6642014
its literally the bridge from the east bay to the city

>> No.6642025

>>6642020
You mean the bay bridge? Because that's what it's known as. Are you from LA? Hanging out in "San Fran" or "Frisco"? Had fun taking "the bart"? Maybe had yerself your first gay experience?

>> No.6642030

>>6642025
bro he called it the east bay bridge

i was just answering that anons question
jesus fuck off
i live in berkeley

>> No.6642040

>>6642025
>Hanging out in "San Fran" or "Frisco"? Had fun taking "the bart"? Maybe had yerself your first gay experience?
as someone native to sf, i kek'd hard.

>> No.6642054

>>6642012

How poor are you?

>> No.6642061

>>6642030

I didn't even call it the east bay bridge. I said east bay, bridge and tunnel

Bridge and tunnel is a common colloquialism for middle class suburban poorfags that come into the city and shit it up with their lack of class (see: everyone in this thread who's not from the city and recommending shit). If you've never heard the term bridge and tunnel then you're probably a bridge and tunneler

>> No.6642118

>>6642061
i was saying
>>6642014 said "east bay bridge"

that is what i was referring to. that is the post i responded to. that is the only contribution i made to your conversation with some other anon

I am shocked that you thought I was responding to you, as I quoted a post that was clearly not yours.

also for the sake of the anon I DID respond to, you clearly said "east bay bridge and tunnel" to him so his question wasnt ridiculous.

a comma makes a big difference

youre a faggot

>> No.6642125

>>6642118

Yea I know, I was quoting you but responding to the other idiot.

>> No.6642132

Rice-A-Roni

>> No.6642140

>>6642125
my bad

>> No.6642266

>>6641063
Probably because the OP is a tourist and just wants good food instead of trying to act like a pompous little bitch while trying to impress people on a Vietnamese comic board over his intimate knowledge of SF restaurants even though nobody gives a flying fuck.

>>6641066
This for example, how sad.

>> No.6642330

>>6642266

If he wants good food why the fuck would we want to send him to some tourist infested shit hole where 99% of the money goes to renting a high traffic location + marketing and none of it goes to quality ingredients?

Are you dense?

>> No.6642632

>>6641975
Super duper tastes pretty damn good. I don't care what they are trying to be

>> No.6642725

>>6642632

Ok, fact remains there are dozens of far better burgers in the city. Why would you settle for 20th best when you can have top 5? Oh yea, because you're an out of towner who has only heard of super duper and doesn't know better. Stay salty poorfag

>> No.6642822

>>6642725
I lived there for a year. I live in portland or now. Now that I think about it I ate very few burgers in my time there. I just remember liking super duper. I'm sure there are better burgers. ...stay say poorfag? Lol. It's shit like this man. It's a decent fucken burger.