[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 208 KB, 800x600, Pho-Beef-Noodles-2008.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6536264 No.6536264 [Reply] [Original]

So i went to get Pho for the first time this past week with my friends, they ordered beef and I got chicken. My half Chinese friend told me 'I was so white' for getting the chicken... Is this a white thing to do, order chicken in Pho? I was really confused at this so what do you guys think?

>> No.6536272

>>6536264
Tell that Chink commenting on what you choose to eat is "so yellow".

>> No.6536273

Most asians either get the raw meat that cooks in the soup or poverty cuts like tripe

Personally I don't like the taste of literal shit or fish in my noodles, so I just stick with raw beef or chicken

You were fine OP, your friend was just being a fucking faggot

>> No.6536278

Places here only have beef in it. Your friend is a douche though

>> No.6536280

>>6536264
>half chinese

Why's he an authority?

>> No.6536281

chicken is really non traditional if you care about that. pho is supposed to be served boiling hot so thinly sliced cuts of raw beef and seafood can be dumped in and flash cooked at the table. chicken generally isn't served raw due to health risk so you usually end up with pho broth and horribly overcooked chicken shreds

i'm guessing he's making some sort of assumption about white people not being okay with raw meat

>> No.6536282
File: 698 KB, 639x846, DibujTx.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

your friend is a fucking shill chicken has been in Vietnamese culture longer than beef and it has a super large role in Vietnamese cuisine

http://www.vietnamonline.com/tet/boiled-chicken---a-simple-yet-unique-taste-of-vietnamese-food.html

your friend was either trolling you or hes a fucking retard trying to feel superior to you

>> No.6536294

>>6536280
i dont know, he introduced me to Pho so I guess he knew more about it
>>6536282
>>6536281
>>6536273
i figured that chicken was pretty big in lots of Asian cultures, thats why i didn't get how its a super 'white' thing to do
>>6536278
where is 'here' for you?

anyway thanks guys, just curious because i didn't know if i was doing something really stupid or just not eating it right, either way its really good though

>> No.6536324

This is a perennial troll issue even among Vietnamese/French, about the origins of authentic pho, as the French claim credit for inventing any good food in Vietnam. Early white-people references to pho cited beef, which adds credence to French influence, since Vietnamese people typically ate pigs and chickens, and used cattle as work animals, while French people typically ate cattle, and used Vietnamese people as work animals.

Wikipedia's pho page covers a summary of theories on its origin. (Of course take it with a grain of salt, since it's a controversial political topic that anyone can edit). It also says this about typical recipes: "Pho is served in a bowl with a specific cut of white rice noodles in clear beef broth, with slim cuts of beef (steak, fatty flank, lean flank, brisket). Variations feature tendon, tripe, or meatballs in southern Vietnam. Chicken pho is made using the same spices as beef, but the broth is made using only chicken bones and meat, as well as some internal organs of the chicken, such as the heart, the undeveloped eggs and the gizzard."

>> No.6536335

>>6536324
>and used Vietnamese people as work animals.
kek

>> No.6536336

>>6536264
at my pho place run by a nice older Vietnamese lady, chicken is the first option on the pho page of the menu. 1 chicken item vs. the 12 beef combinations, but it's at the top of the list.

never had it though, my vietnamese mom raised me to always get beef

>> No.6536382

>>6536294
He called you white because pho with beef usually comes with innards like tripe, intestines, etc, which tend to gross out some white people. It's a non-white thing to do to make fun of white people's dietary habits.

>> No.6536465

>>6536294
Southern Ontario

>> No.6536492

>>6536465
Best land of the world

>> No.6536518

I went to get pho last week with my friends too. Did any of your friends happen to be named Laura, Daniel, or Andrea?

>> No.6536526

>>6536492
But not Northern Ontario. It's filled with French snobs.

>> No.6536559

>>6536264
Tell that dumbass that I just made pho ga all day yesterday and its no easier than bo. And I'm a white dude