[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 2.80 MB, 3264x2448, garden9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6473199 No.6473199 [Reply] [Original]

Its that time of year again! The last frost has passed (at least where I am) and its time to plant your fresh herbs and vegetables.

What's that you say? You don't know how? Then lets get started!

>> No.6473201

>>6473199
ayy lmao plant some dank kush mayne

>> No.6473213

"But root, that's too much work!"
Actually you're looking at an hour tops. Its so easy a kindergartener could do it . . . and I know because that's when my grandmother taught me.

"But root, that's expensive!"
Its super cheap actually. Under $35 for 8+ herbs and some tomatoes in my case. And will save or even MAKE you money.

"But root, you need to buy all kinds of things!"
Nope, you don't. $12 at Lowes gets you all you need.

"But root, I have to do all kinds of upkeep!"
Yeah. You water them every few days and then PICK AND EAT THEM. Not hard.

>> No.6473222

So lets get started.

This short guide will cover making a small but very productive back porch or balcony herb garden. All in containers. Why containers? Well because its super easy and super cheap, and I live in a second floor apartment and don't have many other options. But it also offers great benefits in terms of pest management, weeds, maintenance, in that you don't have those problems.

>> No.6473236

>>6473199
i planted some chive seeds and some very old flower seeds i found in an old tool chest. pretty sure the chives were from last year, but the flowers are... a decade? old. they were in a dual sealed little packet. they gonna sprout?

>> No.6473241

>>6473236
Maybe? no way to tell other than planting them.

>> No.6473247

>>6473241
well i popped them in this past wendesday. another couple weeks and i'll have an answer. or an empty pot with some dirt to put another packet of seeds in.

>> No.6473249

>>6473213
But root, shut the hell up and get on with it.

>> No.6473252
File: 2.68 MB, 3264x2448, garden1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So, unless you live in the middle of nowhere there is going to be a Farmer's Market or nursery not too far from you. Go there. And buy yourself some nice seedling plants for whatever you want to have on hand. You can grow from seeds if you want, but its a pain and in my book not worth it.

In my case I got:
English Rosemary
Cultivar Thyme
Italian Oregano
Sweet Basil
Thai Basil
Southern Mint
Garlic Chives

I wanted Tarragon and Dill but they were sold out. So next week. I also got a 6-pack of Better Boy tomato seedlings. Granted I only have room for maybe 2, but I'll cull the ones that grow the slowest.

Total cost: $23. That's right, only $23 for even as they sit you'd pay $40+ for at the supermarket in a little plastic thing. This is a no-brainer.

>> No.6473257

Buy nice looking plants. If you wouldn't eat them as they are already don't bother! They'll come in very small containers or soggy cardboard medium pots (which are actually the best).

>> No.6473264
File: 1.90 MB, 3264x2448, garden2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Now onto our supplies.

You will need potting soil or potting mix. DO NOT buy "garden soil", etc. It will say "potting" right on the bag. This is important.

Potting mix isn't just dirt. It also has organic matter and absorbent material in it that makes it good at holding in moisture and growing nice roots in potted plants.

This bag cost me $7. It filled all my pots with some left over. I highly recommend getting a potting mix that includes slow release fertilizer because well, it makes your life easier.

>> No.6473271
File: 1.82 MB, 3264x2448, garden3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You'll of course also need pots. A refreshing beverage is optional (it was hot out!)

You can get fancy here if you like. Clay, glass, decorative, whatever. Just make sure it has nice big holes on the bottom for drainage. Myself, I'm using 50 cent plastic ones. That I have reused for the past 3 years.

>> No.6473301
File: 1.34 MB, 3264x2448, garden5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Now those nice big drainage holes are critical, but they also mean that your potting mix will pour out of them every time you water. That's no good.

Conventional wisdom says to line the bottom of your pots with some gravel. That's fine if you have it around. But myself? I just use a few handfuls of Styrofoam packing peanuts! Same effect, they weigh nothing, and they're usually free. Cool, huh?

>> No.6473304
File: 2.00 MB, 3264x2448, garden6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Now for your plants. They will either come in small flimsy plastic things or cardboard things. Either way, give them a gentle squeeze and and plant will come out along with the soil and roots.

>> No.6473310
File: 2.01 MB, 2448x3264, garden7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is what you want.

Once you have this, just roll it around in your hands a tad to loosen the roots a bit. You don't want to break or damage them, just work them a little so they'll be encouraged to grow outwards.

>> No.6473331

Fill your pot with enough of the potting mix that when you place the seedling on top it comes to around a half inch to inch from the rim. And then use your hands to put more of the mix around it until it's secure!

When adding the mix around the plant go a bit higher than the base of the plant. One, it will settle a lot when you add water and two this will encourage good root growth.

>> No.6473336

Now water liberally until it comes out the drainage holes on the bottom. And really that's it! Place the pots where they will get good full sun.

In a few weeks you'll have more fresh herbs than you'll be able to use. And it will all smell and look wonderful.

>> No.6473342

I appreciate the thought out posts...but do we really need to teach people how to pot plants? Like wtf...

>> No.6473353

>>6473342
on this place? full of neet spergelord autists?

absolutely

>> No.6473357

>>6473342
>do we really need to teach people how to pot plants? Like wtf..
It's a food board, not a gardening board. Plus, >>6473310 isn't immediately apparent

>> No.6473360
File: 109 KB, 209x193, 1430685377734.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6473199
Root is a pretty cool guy who teaches how to grow plants and doesn't afraid of anything.

Continue posting on /ck/. Your presence is silently valued and appreciated.

>> No.6473366

Thank you root sama. I shall try it this year. Imma grow either rosemary, chives, or basil I think.

>> No.6473373

>>6473342
most people don't know how to, i think. i grew up with a good gardening mom so this is all familiar to me, but most people don't even water their lawns

>> No.6473382

I also post plenty of recipes, but I figured this was definitely relevant. Most people don't realize just how EASY and CHEAP it is to grow your own herbs!

And of course freshly picked herbs can elevate any dish . . . . from simple scrambled eggs (those garlic chives, hell yeah) to roasted meats to pan sauces and even fruit salads (mmm, mint). Why pay $4 for a plastic thing of half dried out rosemary when you can walk outside and pick off a few sprigs?

>> No.6473387

>>6473382
Hey Root! What do you do with them over winter? Bring them inside? How long can you potentially grow them, if you take good care of them?

I live in WA state so a lot of plants like this get drowned during the rainy season if i try to plant them in the ground or in a permanent outside fixture, and I get a bit discouraged. If you keep them potted can they last substantially longer? Sorry if I'm an idiot haha. Thanks for all your hard work!

>> No.6473397

A few more tips:

You'll need to water your herbs every 2-3 days depending on the weather, humidity, etc. A really simple way to know whether it is time to water is just stick your pinky finger all the way into the edge of the pot. If its moist that deep, you're good. If its dry, time for water!

And on the subject of water, don't use what comes out of your tap if you're in an apartment like me. It has all sorts of crap in it that can lead to slow growing. Run it through a Brita filter first, or use cheap bottled.

>> No.6473423

>>6473387
You can definitely bring them inside over the winter! Just put them on a windowsill where they will get plenty of sun. Personally I only have two windows in my apt so I just replant every spring, but herbs in general are very hardy. They'll keep growing for a lifetime.

As for rain yeah that can be a problem. Too much water can lead to root decay. A good solution is to situate them under a canopy so the rain doesn't fall right on the plants. That's where pots are really handy. You can also buy little plastic things that go over the pots, but I've never messed with them.

>> No.6473454

Celery
Lemon Basil
Italian Parsley
Cilantro
Green Onions
Arugula
Spinach

Come at me cucks

>> No.6473465

Also another note. Mint. It is, well, different.

If you're going to grow mint, and I know I do, there are a few things you need to be aware of.

1: Mint needs shade. Unlike pretty much every other herb which likes full sun mint only wants 3-4 hours a day of it. So place it in a corner/etc so it only gets sun in the morning or evening.

2: It attracts bees. Like, ALL THE BEES. If you're allergic, don't plant mint. But on the plus it repels everything else.

3: It is invasive. In a pot this isn't an issue, but if you plant it in a garden it MUST be contained. Else it will take over everything. That might be your cup of tea (literally) but it might not be your neighbors'.

Also if the old couple next door are huge dicks and call the cops every time your music is a bit loud put a few mint seedlings in their flower beds. They'll never get rid of it (not that I've ever done that).

>> No.6473483

>Texas master race
>planting time was in February
>tomato time is soon
>pesto time is NOW

>> No.6473517

>>6473483
Yeah well we don't all live in Texas, heh. I'm in North Carolina.

>>6473454
Nice lineup! But aside from the lemon basil I wouldn't grow any of those as home, because I don't have the space. And also they're cheap to buy (unlike fresh herbs).

>> No.6473524
File: 85 KB, 1024x768, 1324454927506.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is a good thread.
Thanks!

>> No.6473564

>>6473213
>Under $35 for 8+ herbs
where the hell are you paying 35 bucks for 8 herbs
that's expensive as fuck

here of I buy a large adult vase it's not even 3 bucks each already planted

>> No.6473575

>>6473264
you are overpaying for dirt with cheap fertilizer that will run out of nutrients in two months

>> No.6474333

protip: there is already an homegrown thread on >>>/out/ and there is significantly less shitposting than on /ck/

>> No.6474352

>>6474333
Yeah, but most of those guys are hardcore selfsustaining gardening types. This guy just wants to grow some herbs on his apartment balcony for cheap.

>> No.6474355

Wouldn't the wind knock those off?

>> No.6474369

Noice thread, OP. I planted parsley, sage, thyme, rosemary, basil, oregano, cilantro, and dill the first of April. It's all coming in super thick and I'm using them in practically every dish I make.

>> No.6474373

>>6473301
Another liner that works really well and takes up less pot space is coffee filters. Just take a couple, wet them, and spread them over the bottom of your pot.

>> No.6474384

>>6473423
It's also important to note that most herbs are annuals;they die every year and have to be replanted.
In the case of some herbs that go to seed, like dill, they will reseed themselves. Others, like rosemary, are perennials, and as long as you bring them in when it goes child, will last you forever.

>> No.6474559

Anyone got any other suggestions for herbs to grow indoors? At the moment I grow mint, chocolate mint, lemon balm and basil in my windowsill. I mostly like them because I enjoy having plants around and they make my room smell glorious when the sun hits them, but I also like using them to flavour water or to use in fruit salad dressings. Any suggestions for anything that would go with these herbs and can survive indoors? Apple mint is definitely something I'd like, but unfortunately I can't get hold of it at the moment.

>> No.6475084

>>6474559
Chives, chevril, rosemary, tarragon, and rosemary all do very well indoors!

>> No.6475167

>>6473199
See, >>>/out/508279 in case you've not been there yet.

>>6474352
Not true.

>> No.6475332

I bought a lavender plant a few weeks ago. It's grown a lot taller in these few weeks.

1. When will it flower?

2. Is the lack of sun in te winter going to kill it? I have north-northeast facing windows and south-west facing windows. I move the lavender plant so that it spends half the day in one room, half the day in the other.

>> No.6475367

>>6473517
Triad/Winston-Salem reporting in. Just now thinking it is time to plant tomatoes.

>> No.6476656

I felt like adding some new and more unusual herbs to my own garden, so I just ordered orange-scented thyme, clary sage, apple mint, rue, chamomile, borage, lime basil, cinnamon basil and good king henry. Not all of these are for culinary purposes, some are just because they sound cool and I want to see if they're a nice addition to my herb garden, but I'm looking forward to trying the stuff that does sound tasty.

>> No.6476692

I'm going to direct you to
>>/out/ for being a tripfaggot and for talking about outdoors

>> No.6476790

>>6475332
>1. When will it flower?
during spring
when will depend on weahter, local and quality of soil, and age.
It needs to reach maturity first, and even then sometimes when not in ideal conditions a plant may not flower or have a delayed (or even early) blossoming. I'd risk to say that if you are keeping it indoors, it might only bloom in late spring/early summer.

>2. Is the lack of sun in te winter going to kill it?
if it gets zero sun, yes. If it gets little sun and your house is warm enough it might go through even if it doesn't look very beautiful. It will look better again in spring.
Do not put it near heaters, and during the sun strongest peak put it "outside" in direct sunlight. Glass reflects some of the sunlight that is already little on winter.

>> No.6476794

>>6475332
also sometimes after being replanted in different kind of soil and moving to a very different location - like from a plant glasshouse to your home - they take some time to adjust to the new conditions, and might not have flowers.
but depends on the plant
I actually never had lavender to tell you

>> No.6477063

>>6473483
I'm new to this so pardon my ignorance. What can you plant in Texas in February that won't die because of snow? Or do you mean you start your seeds inside?

>> No.6477083

>>6477063
>Texas
>Snow

>> No.6477174
File: 487 KB, 1260x833, IMG_68062.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6477083
Idiot.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/2015/02/27/snow-winter-north-texas-weatherford-closings/24112529/
http://www.weather.com/storms/winter/news/winter-storm-west-midwest-northeast-feb-march

I live in the inferior DFW area. Pic related is snow in my backyard.
In fucking March.

>> No.6477186

>>6477174
Look at that rosemary in the corner. That rosemary is still alive to date. It's been there since summer of last year and it withstood all the rain, snow, and frost the weather hurled at it.

That's some tough mofo right there.

>> No.6477220

>>6473483
>tfw we had a stupidly wet winter and we haven't hit 100 yet

Dude, it is going to be a glorious summer for gardening and life in general. Rivers are full so fishing is actually going to be legit for the first time in forever, everything is lush as fuck and hunting is going to be exceptional. Downside, mosquitos.

>> No.6477296

>>6473199
Nice thread OP. Planting your own stuff for fresh herbs is the best thing ever. I grew sweet basil, thai basil, lemon thyme and mint last year. However, halfway through the season my basil became infested with tiny white bugs. I did a bunch of stuff to fend them off but they eventually overwhelmed my potted plants and I had to toss more than half of it out. Has this ever happened to you? Any good ways to prevent bugs infesting your plants?

>> No.6477313

I won't be in a position to plant anything until the 13th and I live in Virginia. I'm assuming it will be fine, but I want to plant some mint and rosemary. Will they be alright a week from now?

>> No.6478127

>>6473199

Hey op! I started some herbs from seeds, and the basil and rosemary has sprouted amazingly, but the chives and thyme have not even come out yet! Any ideas?

>> No.6478136

>>6476790
>>6476794
Thanks for the reply. My plant was maybe 3-4'' when I got it and it's a solid 6-7'' now, so it doesn't seem too stressed by the repotting. Spring came late in New England, so although it's technically "late spring" now, the foliage outside looks like it's nary a week past March. We just got some blooming trees 5 days ago.

I heard lavender that you buy in nurseries needs 1 year before it will bloom, so I wasn't sure if mine would bloom this summer or next. I plan to collect the flower buds for potpourri and other projects, so I need it to bloom this year since I'm worried that the endless days of darkness we get here will kill it in the winter. Poor thing needs 8 hours of sun a day and we get 7 hrs (if we're lucky) from Nov-Feb.

>> No.6478277

What's the most fragrant herb you can grow? I'm looking for something that I'll catch a whiff of each time I walk past it. (preferably something that does OK indoors)

>> No.6478383

>>6478277
Right now, I can think of mint, thyme, rosemary, and lavender. Mint, especially.

>> No.6478509

>>6478136
Get a grow light and a timer the light can plug into before winter, and you'll be fine.

>> No.6478604

>>6478509
Unfortunately I live in an apartment and don't have the space for the standard grow light.

I know their are smaller ones, but $50-$60 is way too much. The only one under $20 has no timer and a clamp arm instead of a stand.

>> No.6478619

>>6473454
>Lemon Basil
I love that stuff, especially with strawberries an balsalmic. I've got some Lime Basil growing as well, but it smells of licorice and little lime rind.

>> No.6479436

So its been 3 days. All of my plants have nearly DOUBLED in size! The amazing weather has certainly helped . . . . at this rate I'll be able to start clipping and using them sparingly for recipes very soon!

>>6478127
Starting from seeds can be complicated. You need a certain environment for germination. And plus sometimes you simply get bad seeds. This is why I prefer to buy a small seedling from a nursery . . . . sure it costs $2 but its a growing plant and you can tell how healthy it is by looking at it.

>>6478277
Like the other guy said, mint is great. But personally I prefer basil, it just has such a wonderful scent (for me, that is). Thai basil especially.

>> No.6480920

>was given oregano transplant, a big clump of it
>it looks mostly dead a week later

I have no idea what its problem is. I water that shit daily along with everything else. (Renting a house with other people. Put in a vegetable garden, some flowers, and herbs which are mostly in containers next to the garden.)

Planted some chamomile from seed in containers. Tried it a few years ago and didn't get shit, but maybe I'll have better luck now. Basil from seed has seedlings sprouting, so I'm pretty excited. Got rosemary and sweet basil in a pot.

Easiest thing is to buy storebought scallions, put em in water until the roots go, and plant them. Fuckers are hardy and survive anything. They survived in my dad's garden over winter, with absolutely no care, and just rain water.

>>6473252
>You can grow from seeds if you want, but its a pain and in my book not worth it.

Yeah, but it's cheap.

>> No.6480934

>>6473454

Given: From seed:

asparagus, arugula, bush bean, beets, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cantaloupe, carrot, caulifower, celery, collards, corn, cucumber, eggplant, honeydew, kale, lettuce, onion, peas, pepper, pumpkin, radish, rutabaga (never even ate one before, this gonna be good), spinach, squash, sunflower, swiss chard, tomato, and watermelon, all heirloom. Gonna collect the seeds from my plants when the season is done.

Black eyed susans, seed.

Given from plant: lily of the valley, tiger lily, oregano, strawberry, mint (container), tomato incoming. Kiwi plant, blackberry (both are a stick looking thing with green leaves sprouting out. Doubt I'll get anything this year.)

Bought from seed: chamomile, tomato, lettuce, basil, marigold.

Bought from plant: tomato, lettuce, rosemary, sweet basil, scallion.

>> No.6480941

>>6473465
>Mint needs shade

My dad has it in his yard. It's hella invasive, but seems fine in full sun. It grows hardy.

>> No.6480949

>>6478277

Jasmine. My grandpa grows it in Florida. It's more a tree than an herb, though.

Lavender and rosemary.

>> No.6482267

>>6480941
Not saying it CAN'T grow in full sun, but especially if you're growing in pots it likes only 4 hours of sun a day.