[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 5 KB, 212x237, moonshine.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6454951 No.6454951 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /ck/ do you guys have any recipes on how to make moonshine?

>> No.6454967

I've got Google, so I presumably have thousands.

>> No.6454972

yes here's my own, not from google

5 gallon bucket all grain horse feed (we use MannaPro Hi Grain sweet feed)
one package of yeast (using bread yeast now--others will increase quality and ferment time)
5 pounds sugar
water

Theres your recipe.

>> No.6455015

A friend of mine from my undergrad days wanted to brew moonshine in his dorm room. He called up some local company to see if he could buy several pounds of corn and sugar. The guy on the other end of the line said sure and that if he used it to make moonshine he would like a few quarts.

>> No.6455022

>>6454967
This. OP is a real piece of shit for coming to a cooking board to talk with people about recipes and cooking experiences

>> No.6455039

Why do motherfuckers always want to make MOONSHINE, a distilled beverage that requires a still, an expensive, complicated piece of equipment that can either be questionably-registered or illegal... instead of wanting to just make wine/cider which is completely legal and requires a $2 bucket?

>> No.6455125

>>6455039
What's the easiest way?

>> No.6455149

>>6455039

>>expensive
Nope. Easy to make from a cheap cooking pot.

>>complicated
Nope. It's a very simple process really. You ought to have learned how distillation works during grade school. If you can adjust the heat on a cooking device of some kind and you can observe a thermometer then you can operate a still.

>>questionably-registered or illegal
And why would that stop you from doing it? The legal concerns are nil unless you go around bragging to random strangers like a retard, and/or trying to sell it.

>> instead of wanting to just make wine/cider which is completely legal and requires a $2 bucket?

Because distilled spirits are a lot more potent than wine/beer.

I've made wine, beer, mead, and 'shine. Of the four I'd say that the 'shine was by far the easiest to get a good-tasting product from.

>> No.6455187

>>6455149
How did go about making the moonshine?

>> No.6455879

>>6455149
Also don't really need to worry about shine going bad the way those do, great way to save an admittedly mediocre batch of home wine.

Do you use oak cubes or staves? Thinking about aging for real instead of just letting it sit for a week and losing patience and making a liqueur.

>>6455187
Read the home distiller's website and fuck off.

>> No.6455954

>>6455125
Juice with no preservatives, sugar, yeast. Put in bottle and shake up. Cover the top with a balloon that has a tiny hole or two poked in it. Wait until the balloon deflates (this means fermenting is done). Drink if you're brave, bottle and let it age if you are a pussy.

>> No.6455964

It's not the ingredients that are the hassle it's the fact stills are decently expensive when you consider that they only really have one purpose.

>> No.6455996
File: 41 KB, 339x299, jenkum.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6455954
>Cover the top with a balloon

>> No.6456002

>>6454951
Dude white lightning sucks and those country fuckers have all kinds of accidents making it. Just buy a cheap bottle of vodka and save yourself the trouble.

>> No.6456037

Why would anyone want to make Moonshine. There are so many great fermented beverages, specially unknown beverages like mead with herbs such as hops (you can pretty much make mead inspired by any beer style and play with different combinations, carbonation or not and type of honey) and so many great destilled beverages that use more ingredients than plain tasteless white suga like sugar cane into cachaça or rum or fruits into brandy and liqueur and yet people spend their time making the cheapest and worst alcoholic beverage in the world just because it is "traditional"?

>> No.6456038

>>6455996
i was on TOTSE and knew pickwick before he got famous for huffing jenkem.

RIP totse. u were better then 4chan

>> No.6456046

>>6455996
&T!

>> No.6456104

>>6456037

It's a cheep way to make a lot of hard alcohol. The point is not to make something good, it's to make something intoxicating.

>> No.6456126

>>6456104
its like 10 cents/gallon cheaper than something that tastes good

>> No.6456807

>>6455149
I wasn't trying to diss making shine, I don't know much about it but I think it's neat and I respect the people who make it. And if specifically making hard liquor is truly your goal it would probably make sense to start off distilling right away.

I just mean kids like OP and >>6455015 's friend constantly come on here looking for the simplest way to make whatever low-effort booze in the closet of their dorm room, and they decide that distilling is the answer for some reason. I'm sure it's not super expensive or hard to make a still in general, but comparatively it sounds like rocket science compared to just sticking some juice and yeast in a bucket. And a lot harder to hide from your Mom.

>> No.6457734

>>6456807

Stoves are rocket science. Good to know.

>> No.6458949

>>6456807

When your room spontaneously starts smelling like you have a secret bakery, you get questions.