[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 36 KB, 300x225, ghk-open-freezer-0111-mdn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6118679 No.6118679 [Reply] [Original]

I need some ideas on food I can make ahead of time and the freeze to eat later. I would just get frozen meals from the store, but... I would rather not die.

>> No.6118742
File: 174 KB, 1024x640, baozi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You have a rise cooker?
I always make loads of baozi and then freeze up a lot.
When I'm hungry I take out a few, steam them and they are ready.
Can be made with all kinds of fillings and are pretty straight forward.

>> No.6118747

>>6118679
In general, you're better off just partially making stuff and storing it than making full meals

Like veggie mixes for soup bases

>> No.6118791

Bolognese sauce is always a good one, as are stews, curries, etc. Then you just cook your starch for them (pasta, potato, rice, etc) as the meal's heating up.

>> No.6118824

>>6118742
My rice cooker is on it's last legs I think, unfortunately.

>>6118747
Wow I am an idiot, so many veggie mixes have been wastes cuz I never thought to freeze them. To be fair, I didn't have a freezer big enough to fit anything until a few weeks ago.

>>6118791
I've been meaning to get into the curry business, maybe I should try this.

>> No.6119003

The only things I freeze are washed raw-and-as-whole-as-can-keep-it veg, raw meats, some storebought foods, cooked foods that take longer than an hour to put together and some breakfast-y stuff, like American pancakes and things (for a quick morning meal before work if I'm running late). Also veggie scraps to make veg stock.

Right now, I've got in the freezer:
• raw veg
>a kajillion bell peppers (halved, deseeded, destemmed and washed, but otherwise intact)
>pearl onions (trimmed and peeled; $1.49/lb fresh v $1.99/12oz frozen... yeah)
>rapes
>corn cobs
>just finished off my asparagus; time to buy, wash, blanch and freeze more, soon
• storebought frozen veg
>peas
>corn kernels
>tomato juice, if that counts
• raw meats
> pork, both whole cuts, like shoulders and tenderloins, as well as portion cuts, such as pork steaks, pork chops and ribs/riblettes
>chicken, as whole drums, boneless thighs, whole wings and boneless breasts
>beef, as mince and steaks
>lamb, as a deboned-myself leg roast, stewing cubes cut from that roast and mince
>various fish, too many to list
>cured and/or seasoned pork products, such as sausages, hams and bacon
• storebought conveniences
>pot pies, motherfucker
>puff pastry
>also hash brown patties
• home cookin'
>jamaican curry chicken
>cabbage leaves rolled about pork mince
>mashed potatoes
>neapolitan pulled beef brisket in tomato sauce (for sandwiches)
>genovese di napoli
>lasagne
>homemade smoked sausages
>various stocks
>various flavoured American pancakes
>various stewed pulses
>ragù alla napoletana
>meatloaf
This way, if I wanna make a quick meal on days I don't feel like cooking much, I nuke a slice of meatloaf and some mashed potato together or something while I wash some frozen greens in water to defrost, then drain and sauté as a side.
Or I boil some pasta and toss it with reheated sauce. You know. Things like that.

>> No.6119031

When I was a starving college kid I practically lived off pasties. Get some hamburger and stretch it out with pinto beans, onions, tomatoes, frozen veggies, potatoes -- whatever you like that's on sale. Mix up and fry, then make up a big batch of noodle dough. Roll or press it flat, put a dollop of mixture in the middle, wrap it up, and lay it on a greased cookie sheet. Bake until golden brown. You can shove the freezer full of these things for well under twenty bucks, then defrost in the mike and eat as you like. Dip in a bit of catsup or BBQ sauce for extra flavor.