[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 195 KB, 1007x545, Classic Meatloaf_Recipes_1007x545.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5725176 No.5725176[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Making meatloaf tonight with a beef pork veal mix.

I usually use cheese, egg, breadcrumbs, onion, garlic onion powder, normal stuff.

What do you guys put in yours?

>> No.5725193

I buy the big cheap bags of dried shitake mushrooms from the asian section, blitz them into a powder with my food processor, then add large amounts of that to my meatloaves.

>> No.5726052

im british, what the hell is a meatloaf, i've always heard about it but i've never looked in to it.

is it just a big lump of burger meat

>> No.5726064

>>5726052

It's literally meat and spices shaped into a loaf...

>> No.5726065

>>5726052
Yes, it's exactly what it sounds like: a loaf of meat. Ground meat mixed with whatever you feel like adding. Usually breadcrumbs, egg, herbs/spices, garlic, minced vegetables, etc. Form into a loaf, bake it. Some people like to put some kind of glaze on top like ketchup or bbq sauce or whatever.

Slice it up when it's done and eat it. Also good in sandwiches.

>> No.5726074

>>5726065
so its just a loaf shaped burger...and a slice in a sandwich would be a hamburger

>> No.5726078

I made my meatloaf tonight with a side of stuffed tomatoes with spinach, mozzarella, and Parmesan

>> No.5726081

>>5726074
Kind of but not really. A burger is usually just ground meat with maybe some spices mixed in that's pan fried or grilled. Meatloaf usually has more shit mixed in with it and is baked. It ends up with a different flavor and texture than a burger.

>> No.5726084

>>5726074
Burger doesn't have egg and breadcrumbs. More like a giant meatball without sauce (which gives America the chance to break out our fave condiment - ketchup).

I have no idea why it got so fucking popular, but it is a common home cooking (and lowbrow restaurant) dish here.

>> No.5726085

>>5726074

It's usually got a bit more filler than a hamburger- breadcrumbs, veggies, etc.

But yeah, meatloaf sandwiches are amazing.

>> No.5726093

>>5726084

If you don't know why meatloaf is popular in America, you don't know much of American history.

Hint: The Great Depression...

>> No.5726127

>>5726084
I make burgers with egg and bread crumbs lawl.

To me, loaf has more than just beef. Burgers are traditionally ground beef.

>> No.5726131

rolled oats instead of breadcrumbs.

>> No.5726132

>>5726093
>The Great Depression...
Kind of figured that. When you look at most of the shit tier American dishes (beans and franks, Chicago pizza, shit on a shingle, sausage gravy) the Great Depression is to blame. The only thing that fucked our home cooking harder was postwar boom in convenience foods. If there's anything worse than Depression era food it's semi-homemade shit like casseroles using cans of cream of mushroom soup and cakes made from a boxed mix.

I met a grown woman (mother of two) in the Midwest who didn't even know it was possible to make a vinaigrette, because salad dressing comes from a bottle in the fucking supermarket.

>> No.5726459

>>5725176
Ground pork and lamb, 50/50 mix
Breadcrumbs made from an old sourdough loaf
Caramelized diced shallots, grated carrot, and finely diced de-veined celery.
Garlic powder and toasted sesame seeds
a couple eggs
Curry ketchup glaze

>> No.5726500

>>5726132
It's the great crises that create all the "famous national cuisines".
Do you think French choose frogs and snails for delicacy? The French Revolution left the country starving, people started picking whatever was available and spice it up in a way to make it edible, then downplay the significance of hunger excusing the terrible dishes with "fancy cuisine".

Same about China eating dogs and cats and all kinds of stuff we find icky.

Same about that rotten shark and the likes.

>> No.5726626

50/50 ground beef and pork.2-3 eggs bread or cracker crumbs..ketchup, worcestershire ,dried onion.. mix and bake serve with mashed baked or oven brown potatoes (oven was on any way) and the and green beans or peas get cooked left rear or over the oven vent left overs make good sandwiches. surely I am not the only one, and don't call me shirly. Id rather have good meat loaf than prime rib

>> No.5726748

>>5726500
>Do you think French choose frogs and snails for delicacy?
Not at all. And given the tremendous bounty of French cooking eating snails or frog legs has little more than novelty value, because the French figured out how to make that shit taste OK.

What really makes a cuisine is generations of affluence and good ingredients. That's why food in the US has gotten so good in the major cities recently. We've had three generations of affluence and easy availability of good ingredients.

But we still have a major hurdle to overcome as far as Depression ear dishes and postwar laziness hanging on in our home cooking.

>>5725176
Sorry to derail your meatloaf thread. Here's my current fave:

Ground pork, chopped shallots, fish sauce, cinnamon, ginger, garlic, hot pepper and a little sugar. Gives a Southeast Asian vibe. Good eaten in lettuce leaves with rice vermicelli and a dipping sauce.

>> No.5726769

Grated carrot. Jalapeños. Fresh herbs. Even something like sautéed eggplant or fennel root. Mix ground meats -- a bit of ground lamb adds a lot. Bacon.

>> No.5726987

>>5726459

This sounds really good.

>> No.5726996

>>5726748
To be honest, meatloaf is really good when done well.

>> No.5727001

>>5725176
Authentic Caucasian meatloaf is commonly made with oatmeal and not breadcrumbs.

>> No.5727023

>>5726748
Nigger, you are retarded, they eat snails and frogs because they taste good.

Frogs legs are like delicious chicken flavored with sea water.

>> No.5727035

Yo, OP here... can we just talk about meatloaf? Cool

>> No.5727076
File: 1.61 MB, 2592x1936, corn flake crumbs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5726131

Corn flakes with BBQ sauce.

>> No.5727099

>>5726996
I've had good examples, but baked ground meat is a pretty shit premise. Think about it: that's some real bottom of the barrel stuff. In anything but a panic level situation you'd spice and grill it.

>> No.5727104
File: 204 KB, 900x600, wild-boar-bialowieza-forest-poland.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5726500
>It's the great crises that create all the "famous national cuisines".

It can have an effect on cuisine.

The popularity of pork in Polish, Ukrainian and other Slavic cooking is partially ascribed to the near constant wars with Muslim Tatars and Turks.
In medieval Poland prior to the Muslim conflicts for example, beef was the main meat, with pork being a high-end food associated with the nobility hunting wild boars.

Peasants adopted pig rearing, as they had a better chance of their livestock being run off and surviving if it was pigs, which Muslims wouldn't eat but who would seize any cattle they could get their hands on.

>> No.5728352

Beef & Pork
eggs
splash of milk
finely shopped white onion
finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
pureed garlic
grated parmesan cheese
fine breadcrumbs
ground fennel seeds
salt & pepper

I call it Dago Loaf

>> No.5728762

>>5727099
Nah, I don't see it. Meatloaf is totally different from a burger, they're different experiences, flavors, and textures. One is not better nor should be preferred in all cases over the other. Good anything tastes good and shitty anything tastes shitty. But if you're trying to make the case that burgers can be more fancy than meatloaf, I could agree with that. But they're certainly not "better"

>> No.5728804

>>5728762
>if you're trying to make the case that burgers can be more fancy than meatloaf,
I'd say any dish that starts off with ground meat is really not going to be "fancy". The best burgers retain somewhat of a steak like flavor, which is a big part of their appeal - they are the cheap way to enjoy something that resembles steak. A giant baked meatball does not have that same appeal. It's using mashed potatoes and ketchup in a situation that really calls for spaghetti and red gravy.

But that's just my opinion.

>> No.5728851

Ahh....meatloaf. A palate to build on.

Basic: egg breadcrumbs, meat, salt etc...
Mine: BBQ sauce, onion, cajun spice, cheddar
Mex: Salsa,cheddar cheese, tomatoe, cilantro my own taco seasoning blend, red beans

>> No.5728902

>>5726074
Its not a fucking burger you piece of shit Europoor

>> No.5728919

>>5727023
>saying black words

>> No.5728936

>>5728902
What's the matter Fatty McStarsandstripes? Can't handle the fact that meatloaf makes a pretty good punchline for jokes about American food?

>> No.5728939

>>5728919
go back to leddit, SJW scum

>> No.5728942

>>5728936
>What's the matter Fatty McStarsandstripes? Can't handle the fact that meatloaf makes a pretty good punchline for jokes about American food?
These are loaded questions, they don't even warrant an answer.

>> No.5728973
File: 268 KB, 816x816, 1402463350593.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Americans put fucking bread crumbs in their burger patties?

Burgers are meant to be beef and salt only, not fucking breadcrumbs and eggs.

>> No.5729462

>>5728973
it's a meatloaf, not a burger.

>> No.5729514

>>5726748
>But we still have a major hurdle to overcome as far as Depression ear dishes and postwar laziness hanging on in our home cooking.
You really don't understand the history at all, do you? Nor the value of Depression era cooking. I'll give you the post war canned goods and powdered mixes, but that was practically inevitable by that time. What the great shame of American cooking is, is our dependency on manufactured and premade foods NOW, when there is no excuse for it. Also, our incoming and future shame is the pretentious "foodie" bullshit, and everyone thinking their a great cook and/or know great food because they watch food network and read serious eats and chow. There's still millions and millions of shitty cooks making shitty food, only now they post pictures of it online, with their delusions of grandeur. Now, I'll make another post about OP actual topic, meatloaf.

>> No.5729538

I tend to make meatloaf like my mother did, her meatloaf was wonderful. She would always put some sort of filling in the center. Sometimes it was just cheese, if she was in a hurry or low on ingredients, but it would vary a lot. Some of her different fillings were:
>cheese
>boiled eggs
>a mixture of olives, artichoke hearts, and tomatoes
>creamed spinach
>sauteed mushrooms, onions, garlic, and herbs (basically duxelles, but not so finely minced)
>sausages (she only did this once or twice, but it was awesome. I put some meat in your meat.....)
>chopped broccoli and cheese
>asparagus spears

That's all I can remember. But I still always make my meatloaf with a filling. I do some other kinds, besides just some of those, though. For example, I'll make a meatloaf of beef and chorizo (and other spices and herbs), and add a filling of cheese and pico de gallo, then use enchilada sauce as the glaze and lay avocado slices on top before serving.

>> No.5729653

>>5725176
My mom uses cornflakes, onions, crushed tomatoes, and tomato soup.

>> No.5731572

I've never heard of anyone putting cheese in meatloaf.

Is that common?

Being that cheese quickly turns me into a puking machine, I'd hate to take a bite of meatloaf and start puking all over the table.

>> No.5732471

A Pagan friend invited me over last year for a special dinner for one of their holidays in September, Alben Elfid I think is what it's called? Anyway, one of the things he made was this absolutely glorious meatloaf, I never knew they could taste that good. It's getting to be about that time of year again and I'd really like to have that again, wish I'd asked exactly what was in it. He called it a "Harvest Meatloaf", and I know there were sun-dried tomatoes and peppers, onions and garlic in it, and I tasted a bit of worcestershire sauce, mostly beef but with some pork... beyond that I'm not sure.

>> No.5732673

>>5727076
That's exactly how I do it: corn flakes, BBQ sauce, a few eggs, fried veggies, peppers and green olives. Ample taters or colcannon on the side.

>> No.5732688

How would a meatloaf with squash turn out?

>> No.5732691
File: 42 KB, 250x250, 1357198611270.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Meatloaf is literally a shitty version of shepards pie.

>> No.5732718

>>5732691
its not even close to shepherds pie. Meatloaf isnt Lamb and doesnt contain mashed potatoes or most of the veggie found in a typical pie.

>> No.5732723

>>5732718
Shepard's pie doesn't have to use lamb. And the reason meat loaf is shit is the fact it doesn't have taters or veggies, and is usually dry... no matter how "moist" you say it is.

>> No.5732728

>>5732723
Just cause you can't cook a meatloaf doesn't mean everyone else's meatloaves are dry.

>> No.5732729

>>5732723
u suck @ meatloaf

>> No.5732732

>>5732691
So you're saying meatloaf is not shitty if you cover it in mashed potatoes and somehow add peas into the mix? Right, I think meatloaf is crap either way.

>> No.5732744
File: 290 KB, 720x576, 1375415986125.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5732728
>>5732729
>>5732732
meatloaf is fucking garbage its basically a giant fucking well done mince steak you have to smoother in ketchup to even eat without dying from dehydration. I once had Peppin cook me a meatloaf and when he finished he just served it with mash potatoes and veggies on the side and I said to him "why didnt you just make a shepards pie you dingus!"

>> No.5732746

>>5732732
>I think meatloaf is crap either way.

I've never been a big fan of meatloaf, but I have eaten meatloaf on a couple of occasions that was extremely good.

>> No.5732763

>>5725176
i never had meatloaf growing up, I always thought it was some baked ground meet mixed with bread.
I tried making some according to a recipe and was shocked that it was actually just a big ass meat ball

>> No.5732836

>>5728804
>red gravy

Please adopt a trip so you can be filtered properly.

>> No.5732839

>>5732836
>filtering someone because of their dialect

Please adopt a trip so you can be filtered properly.

>> No.5732840

>>5732723
Yes it does, if it uses beef it's not shepherd's pie it's cottage pie. I do hope you're not British...

>> No.5732844

>>5729538
>chopped broccoli and cheese

Your mother is a goddamned genius. Call her right fucking now and tell her you love her.
Do it, faggot.

>> No.5732870

>>5732839
>Being this guy

Get trips get ripped

>> No.5735477

>>5732471
Alban Elfed/Elved, the Druidic equivalent of Mabon, a Harvest celebration, kind of like the Pagan Thanksgiving.

>> No.5735504

>get bunch of veggies and mushrooms
>puree them or chop small as fuck, whatever floats your boat
>throw in the meat mixture
Also work it as little as possible, add everything and mix only enough so that everything is nice and mixed.
Optionally bake in 3rd of inch cheese cubes, wrap in bacon or throw in some sausage along with ground meats.

>> No.5737094

sticking with the fact that meatloaf is a baked burger in the form of a loaf, with other shit in it so amerifats have a excuse for not calling it a burger