[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 28 KB, 537x399, de7c970d-3759-4ec5-8fb1-c1e545ca5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5707236 No.5707236[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I once read in a thread that juice was as unhealthy as soda with no real health benefits. But does it get better if there's more juice in it? Like 20% juice vs 60% juice. Are there any good juices? Would juice be okay if I made it myself with fruit?

>> No.5707250

I think they meant because of the sugar content.
And because people jumped on the whole "juicing" train and think drinking 18 juiced apples and a stick of celery is good for you.
Just eat your fruit. OR, if you really want something healthy juice up vegetables like spinach, kale, and beets, but throw some fruit in there if you can't stand the taste.

>> No.5707259 [DELETED] 

>>5707236
>I once read in a thread that juice was as unhealthy as soda with no real health benefits.

That's a misunderstanding of what they probably said. The general truth here is that juice contains just as much sugar as soda.

Beyond that, juice is healtherier than soda. It contains vitamins, minerals, fiber, and so on. but purely from a sugar content perspective they're about the same.

>>Would juice be okay if I made it myself with fruit?

Yes, that would be the best. Better yet, just eat the fruit.

>> No.5707291

Of course store bought 100% juice is better than soda.

The problem is that in America "100% juice" can mean 10% "fruit that is on the front of the container" and 90% shitty white grape juice since it's relatively neutral in flavor.

I don't remember the percentages but if the "fruit that is on the front of the container" is less than X percent, it has to be called cocktail.
If the JUICE amount is less than X percent it has to be called "drink".
Obviously different countries have different thresholds/classifications.

Fresh squeezed juice is obviously even better.

Actually eating fruit is better than any of those.

If you're low carb or whatever, that's fine, you're not gonna die if you totally cut out fruit.
Still, all of those (other than 'drink') are better than those stupid ugg wearing cunts who just throw sliced fruit into water and think they're "infusing" it.

>> No.5707307

don't drink any juice. rots teeth.

>> No.5707313

If it's pasteurized, you aren't drinking juice, just sugar water with artificial flavoring.

>> No.5707322

>>5707236
Well, someone may have already said this, since I didn't read through the whole thread. But, anyway.... The reason juice is "bad", is because it has too much sugar, as compared to just eating a piece of fruit. An 8 ounce glass of orange juice has an average of 4-6 oranges in it. Most people wouldn't sit and eat that many oranges in one sitting. Also, the sugars in juice hit your body the same way soda would, because it's lost the benefit of the fiber, pectin, etc in the fruit to help slow it down. In other words, while it's not as bad as soda, because it does have vitamins and antioxidants, it's still better to just eat a piece or two of fruit. OR, you can do what I do and make smoothies using whole fruit, so you get the full benefits. I had a green smoothie for brunch (because it was both my breakfast and lunch) that had one orange, one apple, one cucumber, 1 small avocado, a spoonful of chia seeds, some coconut water, and a couple handfuls of dandelion greens in it, and it was delicious. It was too big, though, I was really full afterwards, and I should have just used half an apple, half an orange, and half a cucumber, that would have been plenty.

>> No.5707459

>>5707236
Listen OP, they pasteurize it and it sits on a truck and then on a shelf for very long.

you get a big bottle of sugar water at the end with SOME vitamin C.

I say, Eat your fruit fresh and drink a glass of water.

>> No.5707477

it's better than soda since it provides some nutrients that you almost certainly don't need because you get fuckloads of it anyway (primarily vitamin c), and because it doesn't contain phosphoric acid

otherwise it's not a great deal better than soda, it's essentially just sugar water

>> No.5707490

>eat fresh fruit
>don't drink soda
>drink water

/thread if I may

>> No.5707503

Most juice is from concentrate, and they only add enough water so it's still as sweet as soda.

I like to ferment juice with a bit of yeast before I drink it, gets rid of some of the sugar and adds more flavor.

Or just water it down, 50/50 juice/water.

Otherwise there's too much sugar and it doesn't quench your thirst... all the sugar makes your saliva thick and gross.

It is much better than soda, though. Not so acidic, no refined sugar (if you're not buying juice "drink" or "cocktail"), it does have a little nutrition from the fruit.

I usually drink juice or something in the morning, it gives me a bit of energy and also hydrates me. Or with meals. Other than that, I usually drink water.

>> No.5707526

>>5707503
>like to ferment juice with a bit of yeast before I drink it, gets rid of some of the sugar and adds more flavor.

my nugga, I like to brew my kombucha and blend up some fruit with the kombucha and let it sit for a while and then drink it, I love it.

>> No.5707537

>>5707503
>Most juice is from concentrate

this is true. But even fresh juice straight from the fruit can have as much, or more sugar than soda. It's not that juice has less sugar than sod--they're about the same. The key is that juice also has vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and soluble fiber. It also lacks the phosphoric acid found in many sodas.

>> No.5707538

>>5707322
>I had a green smoothie for brunch (because it was both my breakfast and lunch) that had one orange, one apple, one cucumber, 1 small avocado, a spoonful of chia seeds, some coconut water, and a couple handfuls of dandelion greens in it, and it was delicious. It was too big, though, I was really full afterwards, and I should have just used half an apple, half an orange, and half a cucumber, that would have been plenty.

tl;dr nobody gives a shit what garbage you threw down your hatch, health nut

>> No.5707556

>>5707526
It's good stuff. I love that it gets a little carbonated, too.

>>5707537
It seems like fruit only gets that sweet when it's overripe. But whenever I have fresh fruit, I usually just eat it so I can't be sure. I think the lack of acid in it is pretty important... after drinking soda my teeth feel like sandpaper. It's gross.

>> No.5707559

>>5707322
>An 8 ounce glass of orange juice has an average of 4-6 oranges in it.
This is pretty important, too. Try to think of juice also as a food, and not just a beverage to drink when you're thirsty.

>>5707538
Why don't you just go suck 37 dicks and shut the fuck up?

>> No.5707563

>>5707538
you cared so much you actually bothered to repost and respond.

>> No.5707564

Fruit juice is generally as bad for you as soda (ie it as as much or more sugar). It should have many of the vitamins that the fruit has if it is legit juice, but other than that you get no benefit over soda.

>> No.5707577

>>5707307

So only drink water?

>> No.5707683

Only drinking water is boring

>> No.5707728

whole fruit is better because it has fiber which slows down the absorption of sugar

>> No.5707762

Last time I went to the grocery store with my gf I tried to buy apple juice (I remember thinking it was the best drink to drink at room temp on camping trips when I was little, and hadn't had it for years). She's in school for her RD and I get most of my calories from hard alcohol, so I usually just listen to her with such things/don't want to dick around at the store.

I ended up buying cranberry cocktail because I don't even remember; it's barely juice, but always surprises me when I mix a little with the bottom shelf vodka I usually drink neat.

>> No.5707772

>>5707250
this. whole food is almost always healthier than juice. just drink water

(beet juice is supposedly very healthy though)

>> No.5707784

If I put the entire fruit in a blender isn't it gonna have all the fiber and jazz?

>> No.5707907

>>5707784
Yeah, but good luck getting a smoothy consistency like that. It would be all chunky and gunk up your blender unless you watered it down to the point where you have a gallon of blended fruit/veggies.

>> No.5708039

>>5707772
>this. whole food is almost always healthier than juice

But you're not drinking juice because you're hungry. You eat a piece of fruit because you're hungry. You drink juice because you're thirsty.

What's wrong with getting some nutrition from your beverages? A little natural sugar in juice isn't going to kill you, it'll just give you some quick energy.

The problem is consuming really sweet juice all day.

>> No.5708066

>>5707907
not if you have a good blender

>> No.5708069

>>5708039
>You drink juice because you're thirsty
no i don't

>> No.5708078

>>5708039
but its not a 'little natural sugar'. making a decent amount of juice takes a ton of fruits, and while each fruit has a bit of sugar, 8 or 10 adds up to a bunch

also you raise another good point, people drink juices to substitute a drink, when in reality any juiced drinks have enough nutrients and calories to replace a meal

>> No.5708118

>>5708069
Okay. I should've said you should drink juice when you're thirsty. Not chugging it all day because it's sweet and you're bored.

>>5708078
For me, it is just a little natural sugar. The only sugar I really consume is from fruit or juice/honey drinks. I usually add ice + half water to juice. I use refined sugar once every 3 months or so in a dessert.

But I only really drink that stuff with a meal, or in the morning when I need something to drink but also to give me energy. I still drink water, too.

>> No.5708517

>>5708118
I drink water when I'm thirsty.

>> No.5709107

Juice removes most of the fibres, so it's less healthy and less filling than the fruit itself.

>> No.5709182

>>5708517
I go to sleep when I'm tired.

>>5709107
You won't die without fiber in every bit of food you eat. It's not less healthy without fiber, just different.

>> No.5709816

>>5709182
youre fucking stupid.

juice is retard tier. just a way to turn real food into liquid candy

>> No.5710644

/ck/
I:
>eat fruit
>drink water

what is so difficult?

>> No.5711820

>>5709816
great argument you fat ass piece of shit

it's no different from cooking bones/vegetables in water to make stock

you wouldn't drink plain stock for every meal would you?

just because it has sugar in it doesn't mean it's bad for you, you retard

>> No.5712184

>>5709816

>>5707307

Lingering sugar aka sugar caught between teeth and in the mouth rots teeth. The rotting occurs when u have sugar and other food lingering in your mouth.

>> No.5712964

>>5712184
I think this makes more sense. gotta take care of myself brushing my teeth and all that.