[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 72 KB, 226x263, 1392491899860.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5584322 No.5584322[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

>that one guy who says eating healthy is cheaper than eating like crap

Does this blatantly false shit piss anyone else off?

>inb4 rice and beans

I'm not talking about useless filler calories. I'm talking about micronutrients and actual health foods. Stuff like broccoli, kale, other leafy greens, berries, bell peppers, almonds/walnuts, salmon. All expensive as fuck and most offer negligible calories.

>Kale and kale are $2 a pound where I live and give virtually no calories.
>Wildcaught salmon is $15 a pound, ~600 cals
>Bell peppers $1 each and give 50-100 calories
>Carrots are $1 a pound, ~200 calories
>Most berries $3 a pint for a few hundred calories
>Almonds/walnuts $7 for a pound, ~1.5k calories, actually a pretty decent deal

I don't get this delusion.

>> No.5584333

>i'm a big dumb idiot who thinks trendy fad-diets are the same thing as eating healthy

go chomp down some more activated almonds, fatty.

>> No.5584337

>>5584322
Eating superfoods like kale isn't all there is to eating healthy. I eat healthy and spend about 20 bucks a week, which I don't think it bad at all.

But if you're going to complain about prices, try growing your own stuff. I grow my own kale, and a few herbs, and it's almost impossible to fuck up. Save for my cilantro. Fuck that shit.

>> No.5584341

I don't get it, are you saying carrots are and bell peppers are expensive?

Also pretty sure you can be healthy without regularly eating berries and salmon.

>> No.5584356
File: 50 KB, 450x373, fullretard.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5584322
>Carrots are $1 a pound.
>Expensive.
>MFW

>> No.5584365

You seem to be judging food worth by calories, not nutrients.
First buy things that last a while. Protein powder for example (I just get it plain). Its filling, 2 tbs of it is about 100 cal and gives you a solid 1/4 of your minimum dietary needs for the day. The powder I get is about $18-20 for 400g and is filling. It may sound like a lot but you're not downing the whole container are you?

Kilo or whatever measurement of bananas. Stick all this on chronometer.com and you'll see how fulfilling my list will be. BTW $2 for kale is great. Just one cup of it gives 900% your Vit K intake.

Ground flax seed. 1-2 tbps of it is 100-300% your Omega 3 intake for the day. 100 calories for just one little mouthful of food. Thats just my samplw. Feel free to ask me for other high nutrient/caloric/cheap foods for your day. Youre welcome.

>> No.5584368

>>5584322
It is. Stop trying to justify being fat you disgusting slob.

>> No.5584371

>>5584365
Oh yeh
DONt for the love of God eat a cup of kale every day or your kidneys will die. 900% of Vitamin K daily is dangerous as its not water soluble or some shit. But you'll see your "expensive" kale will spread you far. Same goes with spinach actually, the K in that is nuts.
Shame you pay a dollar a pound of carrots. We get ours $1 per kilo. Damn that Vit A.

Don't forget dried fruit. Dried apricots are pretty choc on Copper. Only deal is all the sugar.

>> No.5584379

Can you tell us the cheap shitty food you think costs less? Let's have an actual discussion

>> No.5584386

I have a sneaking suspicion that OP is a bear.

Any way,
>implying staples are not nutritious
>useless filler calories
>micronutrients
>actual health foods

>> No.5584387
File: 86 KB, 800x600, totinos_pepperoni_party_pizza_01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5584379
>800 calories
>$1

>> No.5584388

>>5584387
>Useless filler calories in rice and beans
>Posts this colon bomb

>> No.5584389

>>5584388
>enriched wheat flower doesn't give you all the micros you need

>> No.5584394

>>5584389
Along with enough salt, fat and chemicals to stop your heart before you're 30.
Besides, the per meal cost of buying actual food and cooking it yourself is always lower than buying pre-made garbage.

>> No.5584397

>>5584389
Except it doesn't. That shit is akin to taking a multivitamin. Most of it isn't absorbed and is pissed out because it isn't natural.

>> No.5584400

>>5584394
Even if you counted buying in bulk and making multiple servings at once, I think you'd be very hard-pressed to get the cost of a home-made pizza under $1.

>> No.5584403

Who spends less on food? The poor hamplanets who take their families to McDonalds every night and buy frozen pre-made crap? Or the poor family that shops at immigrant markets and makes giant amounts of home cooked food for next to nothing using off cuts and cheap staples?

>> No.5584404

>>5584365
Hi, I'm a single guy on a budget. I make around $1700-$2200 a month depending on overtime which is scarce right now. My bills are around $1100 a month but I really should start saving for bigger things like a house, marriage one day and yada yada yada.

What is your normal grocery list? Just asking because I need to start eating healthier and like OP said.. it is a bit pricier buying quality produce and such, well from my experience.. I mean I bought one onion for fajitas and it was a dollar. Guess im shopping at the wrong place but yeah.. Whats your usual weekly grocery list like if you dont mind?

>> No.5584408

>>5584322
>calories
>relevant

ok now go buy a fucking book for 5$ and finally get some education

>> No.5584413

>>5584404
I look for whatever meat is on sale in flyers, and then build a menu around that. It's a bit costly and a pain in the ass to build a good pantry (oil, spices, sauces), but once you do you're really just buying meat, bread and fruit and veg.
After I started doing this I dropped 50 bucks off my weekly groceries easy, you just have to use leftovers smartly and make the same ingredients into different meals so you don't waste shit.

>> No.5584433

>>5584413
>oil
>expensive
>pretend to manage food
>have leftovers, ever

ok you moved out last week or something?

>> No.5584438

>>5584433
>cooking for every meal instead of cooking in bulk
it's your time to waste, I guess

>> No.5584446

>watch an episode of The Middle
>everything in the house is falling apart
>can't afford any repairs
>nigger rigging everything
>fast food dinners every day

It's like they're making fun of those people.

>> No.5584456

>>5584433
>you moved out last week or something?
sounds like you did. cooking one dish that will last for multiple meals is generally much cheaper than cooking a different dish for each meal.

>> No.5584465

I think it partially depends on the amount of people you're feeding, if it's just me, the price of buying ingredients and cooking all week is about the same as eating out, but buying in bulk for say, three or four people, is where you start to notice a difference in price. My fiance and I spent a few weeks eating takeaway and were easily spending $140+ a week just on dinner, this week's entire groceries for the both of us came to about $100.

>> No.5584472

>>5584456
>is generally much cheaper than cooking a different dish for each meal.

unless you pay someone to cook, it doesn't.

>> No.5584473

>>5584438

it's a better use of time than many things I see people doing.

>> No.5584477

>>5584472
how far out of your ass are you pulling this logic?

because my grocery store receipts tell me that it makes no sense.

>> No.5584496

>>5584472
Big packages are cheaper, that's why it's cheaper to buy a lot of a certain thing once and make it into several meals.

>> No.5584501

>>5584496
not even just that, but buying the much larger variety of ingredients required for making multiple unique dishes adds up quickly, especially when you're cooking for one, as you're buying more than you need of an ingredient for one meal.

>> No.5584505

>>5584477
>because my grocery store receipts tell me that it makes no sense.

sounds like you're making some bad purchase decisions. do you mind posting an example of what your receipts are showing?

>> No.5584509

>>5584501
>ingredients required for making multiple unique dishes adds up quickly

It's also temporary. Once you have a basic assortment of things on hand then you're no longer having to buy things every time you need to make that dish.

>> No.5584514

>>5584337

I hate it when people recommend growing your own stuff. You're put in an impossible catch 22 situation, you either let all your crops get ravaged by pests and animals or you use pesticides which defeat the whole purpose.

And in the event that your food is magically intact and free of pesticides it'll almost always be plastered with bird shit, the only solution to which is bathing everything in vinegar.

So yeah, don't consider growing your own stuff unless you have a fully set up greenhouse, or just stick to pot plants for herbs.

>> No.5584515

>>5584509
that goes for more than staple ingredients.

>>5584505
>sounds like you're making some bad purchase decisions.
i've done my own research, i'm not doubting the truth in my statement.

>> No.5584518

>>5584515
and thinking about this further, your logic makes no fucking sense. making something in bulk is exactly the same as making a dish 2,3,4 times, which you claim to be cheaper than making it in bulk.

>> No.5584520

>>5584515
>i've done my own research, i'm not doubting the truth in my statement.

I am not doubting your math skills, I'm doubting your choice of ingredients and/or what you are choosing to do with them.

to repeat myself:
do you mind posting an example of the excessive costs you're describing?

>> No.5584526

>>5584322
>>that one guy who says eating healthy is cheaper than eating like crap
>Does this blatantly false shit piss anyone else off?
It's true. The lies abound. Also, when talking to one of these jokers, when the subject of their spending $15/week on groceries comes up, there will be chunk they omit, like half of their food comes from mama, or they eat out on someone else's credit card (in their family), receive gifts, or don't consider wal-mart a grocery. It'll always be some incomplete picture of their costs like they are simply THAT smart, and everyone else should be doing $15.

>> No.5584528

>>5584514
>I hate it when people recommend growing your own stuff. You're put in an impossible catch 22 situation, you either let all your crops get ravaged by pests and animals or you use pesticides which defeat the whole purpose.

No, the purpose is to save money.

If you are paranoid about pesticides you can use safe ones of your own choosing.

>animals
fence

though in my opinion, unless you happen to enjoy gardening for its own sake, the amount of time and effort you have to spend on it far outweighs the financial benefits.

>> No.5584529

>>5584520
>choice of ingredients
what does this have to do with the amount of food being prepared?

>what you are choosing to do with them
same question

>posting an example
i have an exam, maybe when i get back around 1PM EST, but i doubt this thread will still be active/at this stage.

>> No.5584530

>>5584337
>Eating superfoods like kale isn't all there is to eating healthy. I eat healthy and spend about 20 bucks a week, which I don't think it bad at all.
Another liar and/or ignoramus.

>> No.5584532

>>5584518
>making something in bulk is exactly the same as making a dish 2,3,4 times,

Nope. When you're making it in bulk you only spend the cooking and prep time once, whereas you repeat that for multiple uses.

Also if your ingredients are perishable making a large batch at once uses up more if them before they might go bad.

>> No.5584545

>>5584529

Correct me if I am mistaken, but your claim seems to be that preparing food for yourself is not cost effective, as proven by your reciepts.

I disagree and think that the only way this is possible is if you are making poor purchasing and/or poor cooking decisions. Either that or I am misunderstanding your point entirely.

I'm asking for details to cut the bullshit and get to the hard facts.

>> No.5584555

>>5584545
Yeah not my point at all. My point is basically that less variety is cheaper than more variety when preparing for yourself

>> No.5584558

>>5584532
This agrees with my overall point. I was trying to demonstrate that, at the least, cooking is as cost effective, If not moreso

>> No.5584561

>>5584555

Ah, OK, I did indeed misunderstand you.
In the short term I agree 100%.

In the long term it makes no difference, assuming that you use all your ingredients before they go bad.

>> No.5584569

>>5584322
>Claims eating like shit is cheaper than healthy eating

Lists 29 dollars worth of healthy ingredients that would lead to healthy eating for a week of you added a loaf of bread (3 bucks), a pound of pasta (a buck), and a pound of rice (a buck).

Good luck eating at mcdonalds for 34 bucks for a whole week.

Best of luck warding off heart attacks (60,000 bucks) by only eating crap.

>> No.5584620

I don't understand how broke asses come here wondering what to buy at the grocery. I'm also tired of hearing the rice and beans shit.

Ethnic groceries (mexican, asian) have cheap produce: ~60c/lbs for tomatoes, green onions are like 33c, onions are less than 50c a lbs at the beaner market here... Bokchoy is always on sale at asian markets as well for ~1.50. Miso base is great, considering its only about 5-6 bucks for 50+ servings of miso soup. Toss bokchoy, green onions, and tofu in it. Less than a dollar per serving.

Here in Colorado, Sprouts has a p. decent sale on fruits/produce weekly. Blue berries, cherries, blackberries, nectarines, peaches have been on sale for 99c here and there. Carrots, bell peppers, cucumbers are always less than a dollar.

I can easily buy ~$25 worth of food at sprouts to last a week and a half for two people. I also utilize a 10% off entire purchase coupon from a survey I receive on the Sprout's receipt. It saves me about $2 on my entire purchase.

Are people that retarded to not look up weekly ads ONLINE? What about digital or in-store coupons? The sales are every Wednesday here.

>> No.5584642

>>5584620
If you are on a budget and this is the last page you visit before your WiFi is cut, save this post.

In this one post is all the information you need to eat healthy on a budget. This dude has just saved you from malnutrition. Im fucking serious. It took me years to learn this the hard way.

>> No.5584644

>>5584322
Irrelevant to your main point, but walnuts aren't healthy.

>> No.5584652

Stop worrying about calories unless youre obese

>> No.5584677

>>5584620
This shit varies regionally. Good luck finding those ingredients for a reasonable price in Finland. Not even potatoes are less than a euro a kilo in here. They're at their cheapest in summer and I just bought some for 1,20 a kilo. Nearly all of the items you mentioned are mostly more than 2 euro a kilo. Bell peppers are nearly always more than 3 euro. Nectarines and peaches are sometimes on sale for a reasonable price, but usually hang around 2,50-3 euro. Blueberries and cherries are expensive, although if you have a car, you can just go and pick wild blueberries in the woods. You wouldn't believe how much a tomato can cost in winter.

Where I come from, the cheap stuff really is pre-cooked, processed or low-quality food. And by low-quality, I mean the really nasty stuff that it barely tastes edible at times. Making the same really basic food items from scratch often ends up being more expensive than buying some shit-tier aluminium box of liver casserole. And I fucking love liver casserole.

>> No.5584679

If it is available in your area the absolute cheapest way to get fresh nutritious produce is to join a farmers CSA. Our's costs us about $6 a week for so much fresh food the two of us literally have to split it with my stepdaughter and her boyfriend. You do a seasonal commitment, which amounts to 26 weeks. You are guaranteed fresh food for half a year. Many usually have a line on local ranchers/butchers where you can get bulk meat a prices far below even the cheapest butcher; all you need is an ability and willingness to do some of the cutting up yourself, and a place to freeze it.

>> No.5584684
File: 278 KB, 1280x853, rape.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Vegetable oils are 2-3 cents per 1,000 kcal. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

>> No.5584685

>>5584620
fu! beans and rice are healthy!

>> No.5584693

>>5584677

Of course not all foods will be the same price in all areas, but surely there is something inexpensive and local that you can buy?

Also, the prices you are describing aren't that far off. A kilo is 2.2 lbs so the prices aren't too different:

potatoes at 1.2 euro/kilo = $1.63/kilo = $0.74/lb.
your "expensive" produce at 3 euro/kilo is $1.85 per lb. That's not that far off from what OP listed.

>> No.5584705

>>5584561
It has more to do about buying things in bulk, a 5kg sack of potatoes is generally cheaper than buying one or two of them. Same goes for a 1-2kg chunk of meat.

>> No.5584706

>>5584356
Carrots are about $0.50 per pound in England. Potatoes, $0.40 and flour $0.25. The OP does seem kind of expensive.

>> No.5584709

>>5584693
True enough. I always forget to take into account that they use pounds... Man. Still, costs like that really pile up when you're a part of the lowest income class. I barely ever eat salad alongside meals because of how expensive it is. My diet primarily consists of bananas, oranges, carrots, starch in the form of pasta, potatoes and bread whose price is 2,50-4,50 euro a kilo, a ground mix of beef and pork, chicken legs when they're on sale, cucumber, tomatoes (Finnish in summer and imported ones when they're unusually cheap in winter), cold cuts and cheese (6-8 euro a kilo, maybe 5 if on sale). I gotta admit that bread is rather expensive and I eat quite a bit of it. Thing is, I can only afford to eat one hot meal a day and have to make up for it somehow. Eating bread is cheaper than buying more protein.

>Of course not all foods will be the same price in all areas, but surely there is something inexpensive and local that you can buy?
Yep. Potatoes. But only in summer. I don't get to eat a whole lot of veg in winter for obvious reasons. You gotta understand that I even consider the canned kidney beans in red beans and rice a luxury. I barely ever use more than three ingredients in a meal, ignoring seasoning.

>> No.5584719

>>5584709
P.S. Finland pays the E.U. more for agricultural subsidies than it gets. This has its own effects on our food production and the price of food.

I forgot to add milk, onions, coffee and cream. Milk is pretty cheap in Finland, though. It's also something that's historically been produced up north.

>> No.5584735

>>5584706
Dat feel when I'm coming to England for the winter. I might not starve after all.

>> No.5584743

>>5584400

Can't be too difficult. The ingredients for pizza are ridiculously cheap.

>> No.5584745

>>5584743

the cheese is not cheap, unless you're OK with buying shit cheese.

>> No.5584749

>>5584745

You just get a cheap wedge of cheese and grate some off.
Dude, we're comparing 1$ frozen pizza to homemade here, no matter what kind of cheese you're buying it will be better than the "cheese" on the pizza.

>> No.5584751

>>5584341
>pretty sure you can be healthy without regularly eating berries and salmon.

maybe OP is a bear...

>> No.5584753

>>5584749
>You just get a cheap wedge of cheese and grate some off.

No, I buy fresh mozzarella.

>Dude, we're comparing 1$ frozen pizza to homemade here,

OK, fair enough.

>> No.5584756

>>5584753
A ball of mozzarella is 44p where I am.

>> No.5584758

>>5584756

Real stuff or cow's milk?

But yeah, for cheap you can't beat that.

>> No.5584802
File: 27 KB, 400x400, 1402979737838.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5584322
>beans
>useless filler calories

>> No.5584991
File: 248 KB, 1600x1122, legumes[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5584371

>Although allergic reaction from supplementation is possible, no known toxicity is associated with high doses of the phylloquinone (vitamin K1) or menaquinone (vitamin K2) forms of vitamin K, so no tolerable upper intake level (UL) has been set.[74]

Anyway OP, beans and whole grains are the cheapest/healthiest calorie sources on the planet. They aren't "useless filler calories." For vegetables, kale, sweet potatoes, and frozen vegetables like broccoli and brussel sprouts are very cheap and healthy. Fruit will vary depending on where you are and what time of year it is, but bananas are cheap everywhere and all the time. You don't need to eat the fanciest, most expensive foods to have good health. Berries and walnuts are nice, but you'll do fine with kale and sweet potatoes. Hell, if you buy your beans and grains in bulk you'll save a lot of money and you may be able to eat more expensive foods with more regulairty.

>> No.5585014

>>5584333

eating healthy is still more expensive than eating like shit

and I eat healthy, but yea as far as calories per dollar it's not efficient

>> No.5585067

>>5584322

You're an idiot and, hopefully, a troll.

As with anything else, being a smart and selective shopper is where you'll save money. Sure, if you only consider the most expensive items you can find in your area, eating healthily is expensive as fuck. If you aren't a total spendthrift prick, then you can find good deals almost everywhere in the United States.

Also, see just about everyone else's posts to be educated on the nutritional value of rice and beans.

>> No.5585073

>>5585067

From a caloric standpoint it's still more expensive than eating "unhealthy" foods, even if you are frugal.

>> No.5585082

>>5584530
Not that guy but if you buy in bulk, then while the initial spending will be more, it will even out to you spending not much per week on food if you really want to eat decently on a budget.

>> No.5585084

>>5585073
>calories are the only things that matter in a diet
Nutrition-wise, eating healthy is the better option, because buck for buck, you're getting more actual nutrition per bite, rather than just "muh calories!"

>> No.5585089

>>5585073

My monthly grocery is $80-120 for two people, depending on sales and any bulk items we may be out of. This is much lower than single friends in my area who don't regularly purchase fresh fruits and vegetables, though I wouldn't necessarily say they eat junk food.

>> No.5585090

>>5585014

Depends on what you compare. Obviously you're not going to hit your caloric needs with vegetables, but you can get a pound of black beans for 2 bucks, and that's a bit over 1600 calories. You can double the value if you buy it in bulk. I just ordered a 25-pound bag of barley for $30, which comes to about 61 dry cups (61 meals) of 650 calories each, for a total of 40,000 calories for the whole bag. That's 2 months worth of dinner for 50 cents a day.

>> No.5585091

>>5585073
Eating shitty empty calories will cost you in the long term with medical issues from prolonged malnutrition due to various deficiencies of nutritional needs.

>> No.5585106
File: 251 KB, 893x549, barley.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5585090

And that's fancy organic barley from a relatively small company too, with shipping charges included. You could find even lower prices elsewhere.

>> No.5585124

I tried it out this week. Live in Canada, if that's of any importance.

Warehouse pack chicken breast. $20 on the nose for 11 breasts. Good for 3 grilling sessions, and each one session yields food for 2 meals - so 6 GENEROUS servings or protein for that $20. Mix up the marinades so it doesn't get too boring.

Bag of mushrooms for $3. Grill some up for a little extra taste and munching.

Box of Quinoa for $3.50, which yields enough for 4 or 5 servings. Also picked up some can of chicken broth for $0.79 to cook it in so it doesn't taste like ass.

Bag of 3 bell peppers - on sale for $1. Great for salads and grilling too.

Small bag of Radishes for $2 - just great on their own, or toss with the peppers for extra yums.

2 Melons from the Russian store for about $1.25 apiece. Sweet as fuck and a great treat.

no milk because I'm not a faggot

5 organic food bars for $1.50 apiece because I am a faggot

All in total that's about $43 for one week of food. Maybe closer to 50 because I bought some shit to eat on sunday.

So, this is enough to eat comfortably for about $200. Even if I were to buy a case of beer, that's only about 30 bucks and lasts for a month.

>> No.5585127

Considering that there isn't just one healthy (or unhealthy, for that matter) diet plan, OP's post is meaningless.

If you require a high fat, high caloric intake or maybe suffer from some metabolic disease or any number of variables, including geographical location, your healthiest diet options might cost more or less than that which will, essentially, harm you.

That being said, generally recognized "healthy" options are universally cheaper than "junk foods" when you take into account medical factors.

>> No.5585129

Fruits and vegetables may be more expensive than living of dollar burgers and little debbies, but that difference is probably worth not being a fat ill sack of grease.

>> No.5585136

>>5585124

I don't think that's what OP's looking for though, that's just a bunch of chicken and then a small handful of mildly healthy foods.

>> No.5585222

>>5584644
Walnuts are fairly healthy if you're not eating meat, but you can't eat more than a few hundred grams a week without making your urine burn you.

>>5584322
>>Most berries $3 a pint for a few hundred calories

Because they don't keep and they don't travel well. If you want cheap berries, buy a couple of plants and grow them - you'll be making a profit by the end of the second year.

>but that's not money in my pocket now!

Fucking Republicunts, man, I don't even know what you fuckers want any more.

>>Bell peppers $1 each and give 50-100 calories

Hahahahahaha, aAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

No they aren't, idiot. Fuck, you could've had a plant for that much in April and gotten half a dozen already, and unlike your berries it'd even grow in your living room.

I bet you buy chillies too, you fucking shoggoth.

>> No.5585270

>>5584644

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=99

>> No.5585290

>>5585222
>but you can't eat more than a few hundred grams a week without making your urine burn you.

Whuat?

>> No.5585297

Healthy is objective. You fuck head try eating meat if you want some nutrition and calories.

>> No.5585315
File: 117 KB, 949x298, myotherpro-tolerance.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5585124
>case of beer
>lasts an entire month

>> No.5585366

>>5585297

But meat isn't healthy and it's relatively expensive

>> No.5585369

>>5585290
I ain't finding anything, so looks like they are full of shit.

>> No.5585379

>>5585366
found the vegan

>> No.5585382

>>5585379

Or doctor

>> No.5585385

>>5585382
sure you are

>> No.5585398

>>5585385
Its what my doctor told me... So that does make sense.

>> No.5585402

>>5585398
great anecdotal evidence

>> No.5585409

>>5585402
And you have better?

You're on an anonymous board making claims about anonymous people no one knows....

>anecdotal

Fucking hilarious.

>> No.5585413

>>5584404
Hey man
Yeah an onion for a dollar is insane. Onions are supposed to be cheap shit which keep for months and months though, buy a huge ass bag & keep it in a cool dark dry place. Needs to be dark most the time. Same goes with potatoes. By one of those big netted bags (like 5kg or something. Thats 10 pounds right?) For about $7-8. So you think now, that's not just one weeks worth of onions that $7 pays.
But yeah my grocery list depends considering the fact I buy bulk of long lasting things (ie 10kg rice, onion, potato, protein powder, cocoa powder, flaxseeds all target odd nutrients hard to get in cheap food)
The fresh stuff that gets weekly replenishments vary upon season of course but right now:
Bananas, oranges, carrots, spinach or kale, that lists about $7-8 AUD for the week already. (TBC)

>> No.5585414

>>5585366

bullshit. Many meats are very useful for frugal eating.

Consider a whole chicken, normally available for $5. Buy a few carrots, some celery, a couple onions, and a pound of pasta or beans. You should be able to get all that for $10.

Roast the the chicken whole and break it down. You have 4 large servings of meat (2 legs, 2 breasts), plus the remaining meat on the wingtips and skeleton. Pick off the larger bits for a sandwich. (that's serving #5) Toss the skeleton in a soup pot with some water and your veggies. Add your beans (or pasta) when appropriate for their cooking time. Now you have several servings of chicken noodle (or bean) soup to go with your meats. That should have you covered for dinners for a whole week for $10.

>> No.5585417

>>5585409
butthurt vegan

>> No.5585421

>>5585409
appeal to authority is a logical fallacy for a reason, you know.

>> No.5585429

>>5585398
>Its what my doctor told me... So that does make sense.

It's a too much of a generalization to make any sense at all. Also, you do know that the vast majority of doctors have very little education when it comes to nutrition.

>> No.5585431

>>5585421
>dismiss all of sciences understanding of nutrition.
>logic

>> No.5585435

>>5585431
then why arent all doctors vegans?

>> No.5585437

>>5585431
that was my first post
but i could just as easily say my doctor told me meat was plenty healthy, and then it's just a game of, "no you're wrong and I'M right"

>> No.5585438

>>5585414

>Consider a whole chicken, normally available for $5

There's nothing more disturbing than budget meat. Enjoy your ammonia and penis cancer

>> No.5585439

>>5585435
Because they need higher brain function.

>> No.5585442
File: 488 KB, 1600x1067, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5585421
>science is authority
>science is logic
>appeal to logic is illogical
>yfw

>> No.5585443
File: 74 KB, 611x404, smoking_01[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5585435

Same reasons not all doctors refrain from smoking/drinking. They don't necessarily care about their own healthy, their job is to just diagnose medical problems in people

>> No.5585444

>>5585438
what are sales?

>> No.5585447

>>5585443
but the majority of doctors dont smoke b/c they know its bad so you would expect a huge amount of doctors to be vegan but they arent

>> No.5585448

>>5585443
Actually their job is to push prescription medications, and they're frequently bribed to do so.

>> No.5585450

>>5585444

A way to quickly get rid of the more disgusting pieces of meat before their "presentation chemicals" wear off and they become unsellable

>> No.5585453

>>5585448

Because a lot of people need prescription medications, because they refuse to change other things about their diet and lifestyle

>> No.5585455

>>5585438

Who said it was budget meat? My butcher sells locally raised hormone- and antibiotic-free chickens for $1.19/lb. They get them in fresh every morning--never frozen.

>> No.5585462

>>5585455

That's what he tells you?

>> No.5585464

>>5585450
>presentation chemicals

Your tinfoil hat needs resurfacing, anon.

>> No.5585465

>>5585127
I agree. Especially on the geographic location part. I live in a shithole southern state where getting fresh produce is tough and expensive. I love all the posters talking about organic or ethnic markets as if it's an option for everyone.

>> No.5585466

>>5585464
dont poke the vegans, its the easiest way to ruin a thread

>> No.5585467

>>5584322
were not fucking elephants; we don't 100lbs of fresh green vegetables every day to survive

and the 'cheap vs healthy eating' debate refers mostly to families and how they feed their kids as related to their income, schedule, food access etc ... and not how some guy in his twenties who could easily feed themselves as healthily as they wanted to if they tried hard enough

>> No.5585468

>>5585464

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Consumer/story?id=3863064

>> No.5585470

>>5585448
>>5585453

The truth is somewhere between these posts.

Doctors prescribe meds because they can say "the patient didnt follow my precription plan" and they are absolved of liability. If they prescribe healthy food, the question of whether the prescription was followed is now difficult and muddy to define. Liability becomes an issue.

I have cured myself of type 2 diabetese, obesity, high cholesterol, and tension head aches by eating healthier, including limiting (but not eliminating) meat and calorie intake.

Its not anecdotal when I am one of millions of people who have done this and proven this diet to lead to better health.

One only need look at the china study to see that eating less meat leads to less cancer, heart disease, obesity... And there are thousands of other smaller studies that all back this up.

Inbf >china study

>> No.5585471

>>5585413
(Continued)
Mushrooms. For meat I just go by lean ground beef. Its the cheaper better shit. Chicken in general is cheap but I'm not into it. Plus apparently we shouldn't be eating more than a pack of cards sized piece of meat per day. $5-6 AUD for half a kilo is therefore gonna spread a few days. Plus a dozen eggs and some dairy item a week. <$30 achieved 90% your nutritional targets.
On the odd ocassion you find odd things on sale like eggplant or whatever and that's when you jump in and vary your diet a bit.
With your well stored away rice & potatoes though you're of course more than just eating those things.
You probably do a lot the same already. But all I do is cut corners yet retain nutrition (ground instead of steak) and calculate what which veges will provide nutrients when another I'm eating doesn't.

Also I hate to be the Yeast Extract (Vegemite, Marmite etc) shill but 1 tbs a day and most your B vitamin needs are cleared. Its cheap too especially in giant jars. But its cheaper than buying a bunch of foods that cost $5 upward per week that handles your B Vitamin needs.

>> No.5585476

>>5585470

The problem is, atleast in America, saying "hey guys, maybe we should eat less meat and eat more whole grains and legumes and other healthy plant foods" causes an extreme ruffling of feathers and people take that as some kind of personal attack. If people would just limit it to a few small portions a week rather than having 3 meaty meals a day, we'd be in better shape as a nation.

>> No.5585485

>>5585476
>the problem is ruffling feathers

Ruffling feathers isnt a problem. Allowing your feathers to get ruffled is the problem because of "muh beefy freedoms."

I could care less if every stupid person on the planet gives themselves a coronary. Im only preaching to the smart "unrufflable" people that will listen.

>> No.5585490

>>5585476
>the problem is ruffling feathers

Ruffling feathers isnt a problem. Allowing your feathers to get ruffled is the problem because of "muh beefy freedoms."

I could care less if every stupid person on the planet gives themselves a coronary eating sat fats. Im only preaching to the smart "unrufflable" people that will listen. Those are the bright folks i actually care about anyway.

>> No.5585493

>>5585476
or, alternatively, if we got off our collective fat asses once in a while.

for some reason people have it in their minds that they can eat like a heavy manual laborer even though they're sitting in an office all day long.

and then they get fat as shit.

>> No.5585496

>>5585476
its not the meat that is the problem, its the lack of physical activity and lack of veggies, fruits and other ingredients to a balanced meal and eating too much processed shit foods.

I come from a long line of family farmers. We eat meat 2-3 times a day everyday. We also eat lots of veggies and fruits fresh in season or canned/frozen/dehydrated out of season. We have a decent level of physical activity from working. Most people in my family like well into late 80's to early 90's

>> No.5585503

>>5585493
>>5585496

Being fat isn't the only bad thing to come from diet and lack of activity. Some foods promote health, some don't. Whether you're active or not doesn't mean a lot, you can be active and still die prematurely from a shitty diet

>> No.5585505

>>5585496
>decent level of physical activity.

Thats great for you. People in the city that are too busy working and playing to work out can achieve the same longevity by just altering their diets.

Of course in capitalist america, if you can sell exercise videos to fat people along with exercise equipment and gym memberships then exercise becomes the obvious go to.

But people can actually get healthy on a much lower budget by just eating better.

>> No.5585511

>>5585503
you can, sure, but it's one hell of a lot less likely.

>> No.5585515

>>5585505
>too busy working
are you saying we dont work? I may come from a long line of farmers and have a family farm but I run a restaurant for a living and work at least 60hrs a week

>> No.5585518

>>5585505
>on a much lower budget
doesn't get much cheaper than going for a jog and doing some push ups

>> No.5585524

>>5585511

"Less likely" isn't that reassuring when you consider how common heart disease and cancer are

>> No.5585533

>>5585524
is it not more reassuring than "completely inevitable" ?

i'm not claiming that no change in diet with more exercise will fix all the problems, but it'll take a pretty big chunk out of them.

>> No.5585545

>>5585518
Jogging and push ups dont save you any money.

Eating healthy actually saves you money.

>> No.5585547

>>5585515
No i was just saying that city folk are often too busy working.

Meanwhile you work and get exercise at the same time.

Way to get defensive there hay seed.

>> No.5585551

>>5585545
>eating healthy actually saves you money
find me a healthy diet that's cheaper than eating nothing but rice and beans 24/7.

>> No.5585553

>>5585545
>>5585551
Jokes on you guys. Being healthy always saves you money. Doctors, medications, surgeries, missing work, and otherwise suffering; they're all fucking expensive.

>> No.5585558

>>5585551

Well, I'd wager that some meat or B12 supplements added to your diet are going to be less costly than what will happen when you're hospitalized from its deficiency.

>> No.5585560

>>5585551
Find me people living on rice and beans and ill suggest a better diet for them.

Until then, keep your straw man mouth shut.

>> No.5585565

>>5585558
>>5585553
>doctors
>hospitalized
not saving any money if i don't go to the hospital, now is it?

>>5585560
that one bitch on freaky eaters made it pretty far in life eating nothing but cheese and potatoes. got a healthier diet than that for cheaper? i doubt it.

>b-but muh health problems
literally has nothing to do with saving money unless you're actively going to the hospital/paying medical bills. which is irrelevant for many people.

>> No.5585566

>>5585565
>not saving any money if i don't go to the hospital, now is it?

Nope, you'll just be dead. I guess you win the argument since you wouldn't be spending any more money. You get a gold star. Congrats.

>> No.5585569

>>5585566
it's a good thing the argument was about saving money and not health problems

saying, "eating healthy saves money" with no context around it is fucking stupid, is the point.

>> No.5585574

>>5585569
Everyone posting on this board is human and lives on the planet earth.

Claiming no context is full retardation.

>> No.5585577

>>5585574
not every human gives any sort of a shit about their health, and many blatantly refuse to ever set foot in a hospital.

so yes, context is most definitely needed when making a statement like that, as health related expenses aren't even immediately related to food in the first place.

>> No.5585578

>>5585569

maximum autism confirmed

>>5585574
yes.

>> No.5585582

>>5585578
>maximum autism confirmed
>oh shit i couldn't prove my point correct through normal means of communication
>i know, i'll call him autistic

>> No.5585585

>>5585577
>healthy eating claims
>not related to health expenses

Maybe if you're a fucking retard like most of the "muh beefy freedoms" crowd...

>> No.5585588

>>5585585
considering they're not related in any way to health related expenses for a shockingly large number of people, no they most certainly are not related, as health expenses don't exist for many of the people these claims are directed towards.

i'm actually a bit shocked nobody has accused me of being a delusional fatty yet.

>> No.5585613
File: 255 KB, 354x367, 1364901083516.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>friend of mine is in the hospital due to kidney failure
>other friend was recently diagnosed with parkinson's at 23 years of age
>another friend has some kind of bladder control issue and goes in and out of the hospital because the doctors don't know what's wrong with him
>yet another is constantly getting giant cysts and just generally looks like a walking pile of shit, complaining all the time about how he feels so much older than he is
>they all live on junk food and cheese
>they still act like I'm some weird health nut because I avoid the stuff they eat and instead eat what science says will allow me to avoid all the shit they go through

Thanks to constant advertising from non-health food industries, it's considered weird in America to eat anything that isn't potato chips, mountain dew, bacon, eggs, cheese, wonderbread, or mayo. When you see someone with broccoli or kale in their shopping cart, you're apparently supposed to think "what a try-hard hipster, that's not what the TV said to buy"

>> No.5585615

>>5585582

You misunderstand. We know he won the argument. I even said that he won and got a gold star.

I'm calling him an autist for sticking with a strict literal definition that no normal human being would agree with.

>> No.5585623

>>5585613
stop hanging around lazy, fat people.

my regular grocery trips are spent 99% in the meat/produce section and nobody bats an eye.

and it's where you find most of the cute grills as well.

>> No.5585654

>What are thermodynamics

11 grams of sugar will have the same effects as 25 grams of protein

>> No.5585655

>>5585654

same what effects, anon?

>> No.5585658

>>5585654

It's like saying*

>> No.5585663

>>5585613

What kind of cheese do they eat? Just pure American cheese? Because that shit is fucking nasty as shit...

>be me
>have friend over who just eats junk food
>cook him healthy dinner
>there is actual cheese in the meal
>Blue cheese
>"Ewww anon, what the fuck is that?"
>"uhmmm cheese?"
>"why is it moldy looking"
>"it's blue cheese, it's meant to look like that"
>proceeds to pick it off the meat and place it in napkin

I even gave him something simple like mild cheddar and he hated the flavor....

>> No.5585711

>>5585663

What kind of genius rode you to give blue cheese to a guy who lives purely on junk food?

>> No.5585724

>>5585663

Kraft cheddar, but cheese is cheese. Whether it's artisan cheese or not doesn't mean a lot for how healthy it is, same as a more fancy kind of white bread baked by a french masterchef is still just white bread even if it tastes better/higher quality.

>> No.5585771

>>5584322
>Kale
>Salmon
>Bell peppers
>Berries
>Almonds/walnuts

Boy, u dun goofed

Nothing on that list except for carrots are necessary for a healthy diet.

You should adapt your diet to vegetables and fruits of the season, trying to get grapes in the winter of course will be expensive.

Go with chicken and red meat, salmon unless you live near a river won't be a wise choice if you're poor.

You shouldn't be eating nuts in bulk, they're mostly a complement, something that you put on your meals to get a different flavour.

>Learn to shop newbie.

>> No.5585806

>>5585771

>Nothing on that list except for carrots are necessary for a healthy diet

Why do you say that, and why specifically are carrots necessary for health?

>Go with chicken and red meat

He's looking for healthy foods though.

>> No.5585821

>>5584365
>>5584365
/fit/ pls go

>> No.5585862 [DELETED] 

>>5585806
>this faggot

Not even that guy but please kill yourself

>ALL MEAT IS BAD OMG MUH ANIMAL BABYS AOMG U GUN EAT MEAT U GUN HAV CANER UMG

fuck off faggot nigger pussified feminist piece of shit fedora

>> No.5585864

>>5584322
>being retarded
>thinks micronutrient plays such a big role on actual health
>dismisses beans but thinks that bell peppers are oh so important

top kek

>> No.5585882

>>5584337
I agree.
fuck cilantro. Buy that shit.

>> No.5585885
File: 186 KB, 381x380, babby.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5585862

Are you gonna be okay, bro? Groom your feathers

>> No.5585904

>>5584404
>but I really should start saving for bigger things like a house, marriage one day and yada yada yada.

this is the kind of brainwashing that will drain your bank dry. you don't need a bigger house or to get married, ESPECIALLY when you only feel that you /should/ have these things. that's a sign you're being imposed upon.

>> No.5585926

>>5584322
Eat combinations of cheap foods. Cabbage and potatoes, rice and beans, carrots and celery. Eat breakfast staples such as oatmeal and Cream of Wheat. This is the absolute cheapest way to survive. Eggs are cheap too. Meat is more expensive, but you can do okay if you limit red meat and seafood. Poultry is the best deal as far as meat goes, and fairly healthy. Nuts are good for you, but expensive per pound. If you are just a picky eater, then no one here can help you.
>>5584356
I pay like 40-something cents a pound for carrots where I live. The OP must live in Alaska or Hawaii something. In Ohio, vegetables are cheap.

>> No.5585928

>>5585904
>this is the kind of brainwashing that will drain your bank dry. you don't need a bigger house or to get married, ESPECIALLY when you only feel that you /should/ have these things. that's a sign you're being imposed upon.
Maybe in the wrong city, at the wrong time in a local economy, but the tax break is high on a house, something rent vs buy idiots don't understand. It's simply important to get a good deal in location, location, location.

If you are not living beneath your means, and you're renting, something is wrong with you planning, and that shit had better be temporary, like during college/training/short term housing.

>> No.5585932

>>5585090
And BEANS AND RICE are not something you can actually eat constantly while being healthy. Eating healthy is eating a wide range of things with a wide range of nutrition.

>> No.5585945

This thread is a laff.

>/ck/ in charge of giving advice on eating healthy when everyone here is an obese redneck who eats meat and a starch for every meal

>> No.5585965

>>5585932

I agree that other foods should be eaten (fruits and vegetables), but when we're talking calories, beans and grains are the healthiest route, reducing your risk of heart disease, diabetes, cancer, alzheimers, etc. They also happen to be extremely cheap.

>> No.5585972

>>5585270
>http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=99
I don't really think that a micronutritional profile matched/surpassed by many other nuts justifies the high omega-6 content

>> No.5585985

>>5585972
What? walnuts are one of the better sources of omega 3s.

walnuts/almonds have the best macro spread of any nuts, too

>> No.5585986

>>5585972

Why do you believe the omega-6 content is something to worry about, especially when walnuts are consistently shown to be good for the heart? All the data I've seen that suggests excess omega-6 is harmful came specifically from rancid, oxidized oils, not whole food sources like walnuts.

>> No.5585997

>>5585986
I'm not going to argue against you right now, but could you cite something?

>> No.5585999

If that means making food at home instead of giving in to temptation and pulling into the drive-thru, you're damned straight. Even an "unhealthy" home dinner is cheaper and better for you than that.

>>5584679
This guy.

I really feel like price-per-week on groceries has more to do with where you buy than what you buy. I've seen big shopping trips cost me 200$ at the closest supermarket, but driving a little further would yield me the same groceries for 30 to 70$ less. Farmer's markets and are eldergod tier, but even places like immigrant stores and aldi are waaaay cheaper than your average supermarket.

Most people I know shop at walmart. Now I will admit, they sell some things insanely cheap- mainly junkfood. A bag of cheetos there is 2$ less than anywhere else, but their produce is terrible and overpriced, as is their meat.

This week where I live, sweet onions are the cheapest thing to buy, because they're in season. These guys can sometimes come to almost 3$ a pop and they're selling bags of 4 for 1.20 at Aldi and they look fresher than the more pricey red and yellow onions. Season is key- find a cheap store and buy seasonal for the most bang for your buck.

ALSO
Don't waste food. If you're stick of leftovers, chuck them in the freezer until you're willing to eat it again. If you make a huge side dish of peas and don't finish them all, add them into the next meal. Curries and soups lend to this, as does fried rice.

>> No.5586028

>>5585468

I live in Canada, where this process is illegal.

I can still buy a chicken for $5 on a regular basis.

>> No.5586035

>>5585997

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11694605

^ About walnut polyphenols

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/119/6/902.full

^ And then the American Heart Association talking about omega-6

>At present, little direct evidence supports a net proinflammatory, proatherogenic effect of LA in humans.

The omega-6 thing seems to be more of a scapegoat than a legit concern, mainly talked about by people who promote high saturated fat diets, who are trying to avert your eyes from the dangers of saturated fat onto what they want you to believe is potentially more dangerous

>> No.5586048

>>5585663

Blue cheese isn't exactly an entry level cheese.

>> No.5586076

>>5586048
Who the fuck decides what is and isnt an "entry level cheese" and how autistic do you have to be to use terminology like that?

>> No.5586102

>>5585663
ugh, blue cheese is so nasty especially if you aren't used to the flavor. Gruyere is king of cheese.

>> No.5586109

>>5584677
>>5584709
>living in a 3rd world country

>> No.5586157

>>5584337
plant flowers that repel insects. that's what my mom does and i'm pretty sure she doesn't have that problem

>> No.5586192

>>5584337
how do you do it then?

>> No.5586216

I forgive you OP.

>> No.5586239

>>5586109
Are you one of the 38% of Americans on welfare?

>> No.5586245

>>5585442
Nice logic there.

The point is... if you can't rationalise our claims yourself, don't just blindly follow some authority. Science is still a rather humane construct. People make mistakes. There's a lot of uncertainty involved with this shit precisely because a human being handle and access only so much information.

Science isn't logic. Science can and should follow logic, but that's not necessarily always the case. There are always and without exception plenty of things that we may perceive as being science that might be disproven later on and judged as illogical. This isn't just pseudo-philosophical bullshit. This shit pervades the entirity of science. Blindly following what is thought of as scientifically accurate rather easily undermines the whole point in the scientific method. If things scientific theory is left unquestioned for too long and it becomes outdated, that shit affects anything that's been built upon it. How do you think society-spanning misconceptions come to be? Everything is theory until proven otherwise, and even then it's questionable if opposing theory and sufficient evidence surface. But seriously, the biggest reason you want to follow science is because it's the best we can get. It's a shitty argument in itself, but I haven't got much else to give you.

>> No.5586246

>>5584322
Your fixation with calories is hilarious.

>> No.5586251

>>5585615
In that case, you obviously don't see the value of definite, solid communication. Jesus... I seriously hope you never wrote anything academic that got spread around.

>> No.5586258

>>5586245
P.S. Sorry about the mistakes in my post... I haven't slept in >24 hours.

>> No.5586262

>>5586246
I weigh 150 pounds and I'm 6'0. I make sure I get my 2k maintenance calories a day and I take into account how good of a deal food is by measuring their calories and price.

>> No.5586265

>>5586258
I mean the language... not the subject matter itself.

>> No.5586285

>>5584322
why the fuck are you listing only calories among the health? calories have very little to do with health.

count calories only if you're trying to gain or lose weight. one can be skinny and still be very unhealthy. conversely, it's possible to be overweight and still be healthy (not great odds of it, but possible).

2/10 for the response, but honestly, this is too stupid to be anything but a retarded troll

>> No.5586349

>>5586285
Perhaps OP is sickly thin or something.

>> No.5587377

http://www.vice.com/read/this-man-has-survived-on-pizza-alone-for-25-years

>> No.5589586

>>5584341
>what are antioxidants
>what is fish oil

>> No.5589600

>>5589586
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antioxidant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_oil

>> No.5589602

where can I go to weigh myself for free?

>> No.5589609

>>5586246
But calories are literally the only thing that matters when gaining or losing weight. I guest you are American?

>> No.5589619

>>5584322
How is this thread still alive what the fuck

>> No.5589621

>>5589609
except that post was in response to OP, who was trying to make a thread about health. not weight loss

I "guest" you are illiterate?

>> No.5589626

>>5589621
>healthy foods are typically low in calories despite having nutrients, vitamins, antioxidants, whatever
>healthy foods cost just as much as junk food despite being much lower in calories
>eating solely health foods is therefore much more expensive than eating like crap

That's the point OP is trying to make. Health foods like the ones he list ARE a bad deal as far as calories/per dollar go.

However, you're not supposed to eat only "superfoods". Your main sources of calories SHOULD be whole grains, lentils/beans, healthy fats, and starchy vegetables. Leafy greens, watery, low cal vegetables, nuts, fruit fish, should all supplement a diet.

>> No.5589638

>>5589626
why are you responding to me? i'm not talking about literally any of that.

>> No.5589744

Guys a head of lettuce is cheap. Cabbage is cheap. Carrots are cheap. Potatoes are cheap. How is it better to buy shit food??? Do you only shop at the gas station after you blew your food money on booze?

>> No.5589754

Um rice can be soaked and sprouted GABA Rice is a thing, it can be fermented for probiotics

Beans can be sprouted for "micro greens", red cabbage has some of the highest amounts of antioxidants in a food

Like just be smart and research dumbass OP

>> No.5589776

>>5589626
OP is a retard for thinking that calories are the point, and so apparently are you.

>> No.5589967
File: 41 KB, 391x379, starving-man.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5584322
Pic related, it's OP

>> No.5589973

>>5589744

lettuce and cabbage are $2 a head, potatoes are $2/lb, only carrots are cheap of what you listed (where I live)

and I'm not talking about retard organic Whole Foods prices, I mean shitty supermarket prices

>> No.5589977

>>5584322
>Stuff like broccoli, kale, other leafy greens, berries, bell peppers, almonds/walnuts, salmon.
>actual health foods

What the FUCK am I reading here?

>> No.5589982

Where the fuck do you even live, OP?

I consistently spend less than $300/month to feed 3 people. I make everything from scratch and we eat extremely healthy. There's no chance in hell you're going to spend less than $100 surviving on fast food for a single month.

>> No.5589983

>>5584322
>$2 for a pound of kale is expensive

What, are you eating an entire pound of kale each meal?

>> No.5589989

>>5589973

The fuuuuck. Carrots are $0.99/lb where I live. A head of lettuce is $0.99. A head of cabbage is $0.89. Potatoes are $0.89/lb, or often $2.50 for a 5lb bag.

What the actual fuck is wrong with where you are shopping?

>> No.5590012

>>5584403
This. But it involves traditions, culture and cooking education, not to mention dedication.

>> No.5590018

>>5589977
so people just let retards roam freely on the web still? thought this would of been better patrolled by now

>> No.5590038

>>5590018
>would of
ya blew it

>> No.5590098

ONE bell pepper in my country cost 3 or 4 dollars.

Thats like, a dozen packets of instant noodles.

>> No.5590105

in Denmark I can buy 4,4 lbs(2 kg) of carrots for 0.7$
Also we have more money than muricans
a farmers nation everyone

>> No.5590112

>>5590098

How is it in imaginary land? Is it nice?

>> No.5590115

>>5589989

>What the actual fuck is wrong with where you are shopping?

It's in california

I wish I wasn't born here

>> No.5590119

>>5584322
>what is buying in bulk from farmers markets
Lel

>> No.5590135

>>5584322
>>Kale and kale are $2 a pound where I live and give virtually no calories.
>>Wildcaught salmon is $15 a pound, ~600 cals
>>Bell peppers $1 each and give 50-100 calories
>>Carrots are $1 a pound, ~200 calories
>>Most berries $3 a pint for a few hundred calories
>>Almonds/walnuts $7 for a pound, ~1.5k calories, actually a pretty decent deal
onions, jalapenos, squash, tomatoes , beans, rice, quinoa, flour, watermelons, water, stuff and more stuff

>> No.5590137

>>5590112
I can take a photograph of imaginary land prices if you like, you mundane piece of shit.

>> No.5590138

>>5590115
isnt produce even cheaper and fresher in cali?
anytime i drive along hwy 1, or 99 i pick up like 20lbs of produce for about 10bux

>> No.5590139

>>5590119
>buying produce in bulk
have fun having all your shit go bad in 3 days, trollfag.

>> No.5590332

>>5590139

>calling vegetables and fruits "produce"

I don't even know why it bothers me so much. Maybe I'm just braindamaged

>> No.5590340

>>5590139

Sounds like you've never heard of preserving food. You can pickle it, freeze it, cook with it and refrigerate the leftovers, etc. etc...

>> No.5590349

>>5584322
>I'm talking about micronutrients and actual health foods. Stuff like broccoli, kale, other leafy greens, berries, bell peppers, almonds/walnuts, salmon

Don't you mean bee pollen and maca root?

>> No.5590652

>>5584322
>not eating primarily lean meats with a side of vegetables
>not eating a fuckload of dairy products for maximum gains

Buy in bulk, mane. It's hard to get too many calories if you cut fast food and sugary shit out of your regular diet. And if you're worried about getting too few calories, drink more milk, eat more peanut butter and cheese.

>> No.5590663

>>5590138
even if it isn't, their ridiculous wages make up for those differences in price

>> No.5590667

>>5590135

onions are $2/lb where I live, tomatoes are $3-4/lb

yeah beans and rice is cheap, but I don't think a lot of people are willing to live on just beans and rice unless they absolutely have to

>>5590138

If you drive to where those fruit stands are, but with the price of gas (the ones on the way to monterey are about 35 miles from me) at that point I'm not really saving money

>> No.5590679

>>5584322
>get one chicken breast
>two cups of store brand mixed stirfry vegetables
>some pasta sauce

there, dinner

>b-b-but muh pasta
fuck your pasta, fuck filler foods

>> No.5590715

>>5590652

>eating a bunch of meat and dairy instead of grains and beans

Go away /fit/, you're not qualified to talk about health

>> No.5590720

>>5590715
>beans for gains
Lol here we go again

>> No.5590721

>>5590720

Did OP ever say he was a 500 pound Russian power lifter?

>> No.5590722

>>5590720

We're not talking about gains here. You're the only one.

>> No.5590723

>>5590721
it was heavily implied

>> No.5590725

>>5590721
What the hell does that have to do with anything?

>> No.5590730

>>5590725

>Hey guys, I'm OP, looking for healthy food that's cheap and won't leave me starving
>HERE'S WHAT YA GOTTA DO, GO BUY A BUNCH OF MEAT AND MILK AND CHEESE AND JUST EAT THAT SHIT, FUCK BROCCOLI, GET PUSSY BRO

>> No.5590738

>>5590730
>98% lean ground beef >$2/lb
>boneless skinless chicken breast $4/lb
I understand beans and rice are cheap, but sources of lean protein are filling too and are a good way to sustain muscle development if that's what OP is looking for, which can be assumed from the fact that he's looking for healthy food, which would automatically imply he's making some sort of effort to excercise

>> No.5590742

>>5590738

But those aren't healthy foods and "I'm looking for healthy food" does not in any way translate to "I'm lifting weights and need to build muscle," you just spend too much time on /fit/, nor does exercise mean bodybuilding, nor does exercise require large amounts of animal protein. Your "health advice" is just dangerous

>> No.5590748

>>5590738
>>98% lean ground beef >$2/lb
>>boneless skinless chicken breast $4/lb
where the fuck do you live so i can move there?

it's more like $4/lb for 73/27 ground beef (more for less fat) and $6/lb for boneless skinless chicken breast here

>> No.5590753

>>5590742
Oh Christ I found the vegan
>protein intake has nothing to do with muscle development
>animal products are automatically unhealthy
>foods can be labeled as healthy or unhealthy, not lifestyle and eating patterns
>you can shovel in any food as long as it's not from an animal and you won't get fat, I swear

>> No.5590756

>>5590748
Just outside of Chicago braddah, don't move here though, food prices are about all there is

>> No.5590758

>>5590748
come to america

>> No.5590786

>>5590753

>protein intake has nothing to do with muscle development

Excess protein does not do anything but raise your IGF-1 levels and make you more susceptible to cancer

>animal products are automatically unhealthy

The ones you mentioned, yes

>foods can be labeled as healthy or unhealthy, not lifestyle and eating patterns

Both contribute to a person's health, OP specifically asked about healthy foods

>you can shovel in any food as long as it's not from an animal and you won't get fat, I swear

Had nothing to do with what I said. I realize you're offended that I didn't go along with your dogmatic broscience, but we're all trying to help OP here and you're just spreading your lack of education.

>> No.5590788

>>5590758
i live in florida goddamnit, and not even the nice parts like miami or tampa... we're supposed to have a low cost of living, that's why my dumbass parents moved here 20 years ago.

>> No.5590800

>>5584322
>not shopping at asian market for cheap vegetable prices.
>not eating variety of different fishes that are much more affordable.
>not going to farmers market for insanely cheap fruit prices (and vegetables sometimes).
>not using rice and beans as calorie fillers, and rest for other nutrients.
>implying most people wouldn't benefit from just eating less, and saving money just by eating less.

>> No.5590806

>>5590786
>you only need 1g of protein per 30kg of body weight maaan
>free the animals maaan
>you can be healthy without excercise, just respect the earth maaan
>I have no valid points for this absurd belief so I won't even argue for it
>veganism isn't dogmatic maaan
I can't hear you over my masters in biochem

>> No.5590813

>>5584322
ITT: hurrdurr I can eat for 5 years on 8 bucks are you even trying derpadoo.
>didn't even need to read any of the 240 posts

>> No.5590822

>>5590806
This is some awful strawmen.

>> No.5590825

>>5590822

It's alright, hopefully the kid will grow out of his /fit/ phase eventually and learn something about human nutrition

>> No.5590832

>>5590825
>>5590822
The samefaggery is so painfully obvious

Maybe you'll grow out of being a skinny fat too, we'll see

>> No.5590900

>>5584322
>kale, leafy greens, cabbages
All cheaper if you buy them frozen. They are also easy to grow for nearly free

>Wild caught salmon
Is not any healthier than domestic farmed salmon which is cheaper and also more sustainable for the environment. Ignorance promotes over-fishing

>Bell peppers
Most supermarkets sell bags of baby bells on the cheap

>carrots. expensive
Maybe shredded or baby carrots, which aren't healthy either as they're chemically treated. Five pound bag of whole carrots. Probably less than four dollars.

>berries
Again, way cheaper if you buy frozen. Especially if you buy in 3+ pound bags

>almonds/walnuts
Aren't the only healthy nuts out there but you can buy nuts in shell to save money and crack them yourself.

>rice, useless
White rice lacks any substantial nutrtion but is useful a calorie-dense platform for more nutritious but calorie-light foods

Eat healthy as fuck ~$200 a month, two people

>> No.5590981

>>5584322
Seriously though, where do people live where eating organic/fresh is cheaper than eating junk?

Are people still in denial about this?
I can't get fresh salmon, fresh vegetables, fresh fruit, and hormone/GMO free beverages for cheaper prices than the majority of junk food.
>inb4 budgeting and buying frozen
Why do you think so many people buy junk to begin with? If junk was unaffordable like fresh seafood nobody would fucking buy it.

>> No.5592749

>>5590981
You don't need to go full "organic", that's just a gimmick that costs extra. Greens are healthier than a bigmac, even if they're spooky scary GMOs. No one here said they eat salmon and goji berries every day, they said "Rice, beans, cheap lean meat, and seasonal veggies."

Junk is not cheaper on anything but time. I'm going to admit, my current dinner is chips and dip. Why? because I was busy and didn't get to cook this week and plowed through all the pre-made dinners in my fridge. 10$ for two bags of chips and onion dip stuff. For 10$ I could have bought some meat and a few veggies and made a stir fry, but at that moment I valued time over health.

Many people also don't understand the value of a dollar when compared to something wildly different. They see a 3$ box of little debbie pastries as a bargain, but 2 avocados for 2$ as too expensive. Beef for 5$ a pound is better than 5$ worth of frozen spinach. Soda and beer are huge money/health drains that most people can't go without as well.

>> No.5592754

>>5590981
That is a unfair arguement because seafood is expensive period unless you live on the coast. Seafood at restaurants is more expensive than burgers also. I'm sorry you can't eat fresh salmon everyday for cheaper than hamburgers.

>> No.5593177

>>5584322

What it to you, you dumb fuck. Healthy foods cost a lot so what? It's probably cause no one buys them in america, go to peru or some 3rd world country fish and veggies are fucking cheap

>> No.5593203

>>5584322
But that's wrong op, I buy spices, sauces, beans, flour and rice at the local bulk store.

On the weekend I go to the vegetable market and buy seconds. Potatoes, yams, carrots, spinach, onions, celery, cabbage, peppers, tomatoes. Buying small produce helps as well, haggled and got 4 small pumpkins for 3.50.

Same with meat, I'll buy a box of chickens and break them down freeze them in portions. Occasionally I'll get a side of lamb or back quarter of beef.

Most people just don't know what the fuck they are doing.

>> No.5593485

>>5590981
>Why do you think so many people buy junk to begin with?

Because they either can't be bothered to shop and cook (aka lazy), or don't know how.

>>where do people live where eating organic/fresh is cheaper than eating junk?

In my case, central Texas. I don't buy organic specifically--I chose my produce based on it's freshness and appearance. Sometimes that happens to be organic, but not always. I average $2 per meal on lunches and $5 per meal on dinners on average. And frankly if I wanted to I could lower the cost on dinners quite easily, but I enjoy the occasional splurge on expensive ingredients.

>>5592749
This guy gets it.

Anyway, I'd be happy to post some example weekly meal plans if you're interested.

>> No.5593594

>>5584514
The only actual problem with the suggestion is space. Most people just don't have a spot to plant on. I don't. But saying that its pesticides or nothing is just wrong. Growing up all we used was bird flashing, dr. bronners peppermint + water in a spray bottle, and a little elbow grease to pick potato bugs (disgusting). Sure animals and pests will get some of your stuff, but its not the blighted apocalypse you're imagining it to be, particularly if you plant a diversity of stuff

>> No.5594083
File: 383 KB, 728x1296, grocery.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5584620
Same person here. Just went grocery shopping for under $20 to last a week and a half for two people. Used another 10% off entire purchase coupon after completing a survey online.

>> No.5594090

>>5593485
>Soda and beer
>money and health drains

soda absolutely, but alcohol shouldn't have anything to do with our discussion of food. what i mean to say is soda is easily replaced by water in this context, but alcohol isn't a dietary need.

BUT, beer is a waste of alcohol funds. both liquor and wine are cheaper (and less caloric for ABV).

>> No.5594131
File: 101 KB, 800x600, salmonheads.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5584322
>salmon for $15 dollars a pound
I know I shouldn't but I can't stand seeing people pay this for fish

Buy fish whole and break it down yourself instead of paying so much for a fillet. You can even buy salmon heads for very cheap and get a fair amount of meat and a pretty good meal out of them.

>> No.5594141

>>5594131

wait, what the actual fuck? i bought 2 lbs of salmon for $8 yesterday and i live in the fucking middle of the states.

>> No.5594152

>>5594141
Yeah but was it fresh caught organic all natural no preservatives home style Copper River salmon?

>> No.5594168
File: 127 KB, 893x595, laugh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5584322
>Counting calories from vegetables

>> No.5594189
File: 209 KB, 600x399, whole_and_ground_flax_seed[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5594131
>>5594141

Or buy flax seeds instead. Highest source of omega-3 in the world, also massive amounts of lignans and good fiber content, can be bought in bulk and stored in a dry place indefinitely, no environmental contaminants, and much less expensive than salmon. Grind it up, mix balsamic vinegar with it, and use it as a non-oil salad dressing for your leafy greens.

>> No.5594194

>>5594189
>What is protein

>> No.5594227

>>5584322
t-bones and lobsters really is more healthier then ground chuck an salmon

>> No.5594438

>>5585366
Meat is healthy. Eating pounds of it daily isn't.
>>5584322
Yes getting decent food with vitamins in them is expensive. A pint of strawberries is nearly twice as much as a party size bag of Doritos. And at Walmart there was water more expensive than soda for fucks sake.

>> No.5594451

>>5594438
>And at Walmart there was water more expensive than soda for fucks sake.

I'm sure there was. But you don't have to buy that shit. Tap water is just fine.

>>A pint of strawberries is nearly twice as much as a party size bag of Doritos

Yeah, and it's got twice the nutrition too.

>> No.5594473

>>5594438
Water is cheap. You can get 5 gallons of reverse osmosis water for like 30 cents at those water machines. Reverse osmosis actually takes out some fluoride unlike home filter systems. Or you can just drink from tap. Try cheaper fruits like bananas.

>> No.5594486

I'm moving out of my parents place in a week and this thread is actually making me feel pretty good about the $300/mo grocery budget I've set.

>> No.5594487

>>5584677
yeah but your country has a functional social safety net

>> No.5595285

>>5584991
>>5584620
why didn't the thread end with these?

>> No.5595295

>>5586258
you haven't slept in less than 24 hours?

>> No.5595334

>>5594194

What does protein have to do with anything?

>> No.5595335

>>5595334
it has to do with almost everything

>> No.5595345

>>5595335
you can get complete protein plenty of salmon free ways. omega-3's are harder to come by, but avoiding the mercury and potential radiation tends to be worth it.

>> No.5595353

>>5595345
What does salmon have to do with anything?

>> No.5595383

If you're talking about cheap protein, sardines are cheap as shit, have those purportedly good fish fats, and are generally low in contaminants due to being high in the food chain.

>> No.5595394

>>5595383
I think you mean low in food chain.

>> No.5595442

>>5593594
Shit nigger just use an empty spot in your local park.

>> No.5595449

>>5595394
Probably, I was probably thinking of low as in hierarchy. More things eat them than they eat.

>> No.5595451

>>5593594

i know lots of people(well a few) who grow veggies in their apts both inside and on their balconies. i bring some of my plants into the basement in thee winter and have grown tomatoes in my closet before when i really wanted a good tomato out of season

>> No.5595458

>>5595451
>i bring some of my plants into the basement in thee winter and have grown tomatoes in my closet before when i really wanted a good tomato out of season
that's definitely not cost effective

>> No.5595463

>>5595458
its better than letting them die and replanting especially things like my lemon tree and the lights dont really use that much electricity especially if you use CFLs instead of HPS or MH bulbs, the 5 gal buckets are damn cheap too as is the soil/medium

>> No.5595465

>>5595345

Exactly, protein is covered by the rest of your diet. Flax seeds are the cleanest, cheapest source of omega-3 and they serve a dual function of also replacing oil when eating salad.

>> No.5595561

>>5584446
the middle is an awful show you should feel really bad.

>> No.5595610

>>5595295
< means less than, > is greater than