[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 168 KB, 600x399, groundbeef.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5341503 No.5341503[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Fact: Fat adds flavor. 70/30 (meat/fat) ratio at minimum is required, but I want to push it up to 60/40.
Fact: Regular ground beef comes from weird parts of the animal and usually isn't that good.

We got some options:
(keep in mind I can't use a ribeye for example because then I'd much rather just grill it whole.)

chuck, sirloin, round, sirloin tips, Skirt Steak, short rib, flap meat, hanger steak, brisket, even oxtail.

Now as you can see, there could be a shitload of combinations, and over the next few weeks I want to narrow it down to 3 delicious blends.

My first attempt will be 30% chuck, 30% brisket, 40% fat.

I want to try makin 40% chuck, 40% short rib, and 20% fat as well.

Anyone made a good ground beef mix before? What did you use.

>> No.5341506

I got some ground sirloin the other day, and it was underwhelming. I know it's supposed to be extra lean, but the actual flavor wasn't there. It's like filler.

>> No.5341510

>60/40

70/30 or even 80/20 is acceptable in certain situation you disgusting fuck. Am I being trolled here?

>> No.5341522

>>5341510
I know, pig disgusting.
Enjoy your fatty fat fat, OP you fatty.

>> No.5341526
File: 132 KB, 603x1431, b for ck.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5341510
I prefer high quality 95/5. 85/15 is acceptable, but 70/30 is crap.
>Fat gives taste.
No. Fat gives the taste of fat, not meat. If you are addicted to the taste of fat, that's pretty sad. You might as well go picture related.
How do you even cook a 60/40?

>> No.5341554

>>5341510
>>5341522
>>5341526

You guys have no idea what you're talking about. YES, commercial 70/30 ground beef tastes like shit - that was my whole inspiration for the thread.

Second of all - your favorite burger places have 60/40 mixes including whataburger, and In-N-out. Five guys has 70/30.

The whole point here is that I'm going to be grinding my own beef out of LEAN cuts like brisket... so I need to add fat.

60/40 will give the patties a nice sear and make them nice and flavorful on the inside. That way they will taste like restaraunt burgers and not the dry backyard burgers everyone is used to.

just hush, ive already arranged for the grind at my butcher, he's waiting for me. I'll come back in about an hour and post pics.

>> No.5341558

>>5341526
> I prefer high quality 95/5

what the hell is 95/5? Filet mignon burgers? That would be dry as hell, and I highly doubt you've made a 95/5 burger. I made 90/10 out of ground sirloin the other day, it tasted like nothing. Like unsalted meatloaf.

>> No.5341561

>>5341554
what is your fat source? can i buy beef fat at publix to produce burgers to my stringent standards?

>> No.5341564

>>5341561

yeah, that's exactly what I'm doing. I'm getting some short ribs from the meat Aisle, asking him to grind me some chuck, along with short rib, and add extra fat they have left over from trimming.

it comes from the roasts they trim - NY steak and Ribeye fat.

If they're assholes about it, they'll make the grind and charge you per-lb for the meat (and same for fat), but I called them over and they said they throw away so much fat that they'll just add it for free.

>> No.5341571

>>5341554
>backyard burgers
>dry

Holy shit you're retarded. I buy 80/20 from the local supermarket and the burgers are fine. Buy decent and above quality ground beef and learn to grill and the burgers will be good.

>> No.5341574

>>5341571

you speak to me as if i've never done that... Whatever deliciousness your 80/20 was, 60/40 will double it.

>> No.5341577

>>5341571
> burgers are fine. Buy decent.
Well, if you want to wallow in mediocrete, go ahead. I don't want FINE burgers and DECENT meat. I want AMAZING burgers and KNEEBENDING results.

I'd like to introduce you to my wife, isn't she gorgeous?
> she's decent.
What?
> i said she's fine. She'll have to do.

>> No.5341581

>>5341564
I've been contemplating mixing ground pork with a leaner ground beef to try as a burger. I've done it with lamb, and I've had nilgai/pork sausage, and the results were spectacular.

>> No.5341591
File: 99 KB, 523x683, burgerlab.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

here's some information:
> http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/10/the-burger-lab-best-burger-blend-profiles-of-eight-cuts-of-beef.html

>> No.5341593

Minimal handling. Season lightly. High heat for a good crisp outside with a bit of pink inside. Appropriate cheese. Toasted bun.

>> No.5341594

>>5341577
Then buy groundbeef from a high end butcher shop. I've consumed a lot of prime meats, and yeah they are delicious, but if I'm trying to get my rocks off and buy premium it isn't going to be ground beef pal.

Enjoy your project but you could get the same results for the same price and at not a disgusting 60/40 ratio.

>> No.5341595
File: 69 KB, 547x497, shortribs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5341581

That sounds like an interesting experiment, but for some reason... maybe it's because pork is so cheap... I don't know. I'm sure I'll try it once, (once beef prices continue to skyrocket), but for now I'm going to go all-cow.

Although I have tried: lamb/beef mix, and burgers mixed with duck fat... and yeah. The gamyness adds a lot of flavor. It's why I'm getting the short ribs.

>> No.5341600

>>5341594
> if I'm trying to get my rocks off and buy premium it isn't going to be ground beef pal.
same here... I even mentioned it in OP... that as soon as you hit Loin/Rib (strip steak/ribeye), I'm not grinding it.

> Enjoy your project
thank youze.
> you could get the same results for the same price and at not a disgusting 60/40 ratio.
I'm sure i could. I'm sure if i get regular ground chuck at 80/20 it'll be "satisfactory"...

But I'm trying to make a brisket short rib extra fat burger here, because whether or not you believe it, In-n-Out makes the best burgers ever, and they use 60/40 meat ratio.

I want the best motherfucking burger I can get, without wasting a nice steak (like kobe beef burger... come on!)

>> No.5341603

>>5341595
>gamyness
What do you find gamy, the farmed duck or the farmed lamb?

>> No.5341611

>>5341603

both? you don't know what gamyness is, do you. It's a flavor profile, it doesn't mean it's wild game.

Why does ck have such an abundance of arrogant pricks.. jeez. Just put your huge intelligence away before someone gets hurt. We surrender.

>> No.5341616

>>5341503
The best I've had was a chuck/brisket/rib blend. Don't know what the ratios were.
I watched some chef make one with just short rib. It looked pretty tasty. I'd suggest trying 100% of each meat on their own and figuring out how you want to blend based on their flavors.
I'd skip the lean meats altogether.
As far as the fat %, 70/30 is great for rare/med rare, but if you cook it through you're going to see a lot of shrinkage with the fat running through the grill or staying in the pan. You probably already realized that, though.
Interested to see what you come up with.

>> No.5341617

>>5341611
>calls /ck/ "ck"
>spells gaminess "gamyness"
>calls the knowledgeable, oldfags and seasoned posters "arrogant"

you don't belong here

>> No.5341619

When me and my dad butcher our deer, we grind the scraps/not so good meat into a deer sausage that is somewhere around 60/40 using pork fat. 60/40 tastes pretty much the same as 70/30, the only difference being that 60/40 tends to fry a little bit better which is why we continue to do it.

So yeah there's a pretty big taste difference between 80/20 and 70/30, but there's not so much a difference between 60/40 and 70/30. I'm going to assume it's the same with lean beef cuts.

>> No.5341625

> First Real Post award goes to
>>5341616

> The best I've had was a chuck/brisket/rib blend.
Sounds good. It's damn close to what I'll probably end up doing. But only if i find short ribs or something. I don't want to grind a ribeye.

>I'd suggest trying 100% of each meat on their own and figuring out how you want to blend based on their flavors.
The problem is I don't have a meat grinder... so I'm going to get the butcher to grind it for me. Maybe I'll tell him to give me a couple OZ of each on the side just to try, but im already pushing it making him grind all this BS for me. When i called hes like 'you know we have grond beef already ground right? - oh i dont want that one i want my special CK blend! - Sigh. very well."

> As far as the fat %, 70/30 is great for rare/med rare
Yeah, I have noticed that. Even with 70/30, there's a LOT of fat dripping off the meat, and a lot of shrinkage. Perhaps I won't do 60/40 after all.

> I'd skip the lean meats altogether.
But brisket is lean but also has flavor. Chuck isn't lean, also has flavor. I'm skipping sirloin, though. For sure. Fuck sirloin. It tastes like nothing.

>Interested to see what you come up with.
Alright well, im about to go to get the ground in about 10 minutes. I'm also gonna buy a real steak. Maybe a bone in ribeye, well see what they got.

>> No.5341626

OP

Best burgers I've had in my town hands down were 50/50 chuck/brisket, cooked midrare/medium.

I didn't ask fat content.

>> No.5341639

>>5341591
What an idiot. His flavor assessment is pretty bad for each cut individually. I'm not reading any further now. He's an uneducated tool. He's got some of the reinventing the wheel aspie behavior as Cook's magazine. It's neither scientific nor thorough to come up with stupid ideas in the design of an experiment.

OP, the main reason you should do your own blend and grind at home, is that you do want it slightly coarser than your supermarket grind (for burgers). It is entirely okay to pulse some cubes in your food processor, if your grinder isn't adjustable to this desired coarser texture.

The finer burger joints that believe in blends actually do pick 3 cuts most often (if you want to try that next). Whether you go prime or want to try the wagyu thing is your budget, but what stands out the most is Angus = flavor. Though I don't know the combination percentages on these 3 cuts overall, I do know 40% fat is not any better than 30% and might cause flare-ups, but you're losing that fat, no matter what, and down into your drip pan is just more work for you or a greasier fire, when you have enough smoke, it's enough. So, no need to go 40/60. What 3 cuts? COLD, ice cold, chuck/brisket/short rib. Cut up into same sized cubes, and pulse together about 4 times. Work in batches, if needed. You are looking for 3-5mm bits and pieces. If it warmed up? Chill it again. Pat with minimal shaping and pressing. Just enough to come together, and smooth the sides. There. Depress centers if grillin' and wanting it medium well or well. Season as you wish. I suggest salt and cracked pepper.

>> No.5341642

>>5341611
You seem to think gamy means anything that isn't beef, pork, or chicken.

>> No.5341647

>>5341617
I don't think he'll last too long :)

>> No.5341650

>>5341625
Didn't realize you weren't grinding it yourself.

I would not consider brisket lean. I'd say it's at least 30% fat, probably more. But I meant the sirloin, so...

Cool. Let me know how it turns out. Fuck everyone else.

>> No.5341655

>>5341642
Gamey means it has a taste of "wilderness"... a little sweat, grit, dirt. An unpleasant taste if too much of it, but if just right makes the food taste better.

For example, rabbit is a little gamier then chicken. It has that little taste.

Lamb is so gamey it stinks if its old.

And chicken is gamey, too if all you eat is pork all day. Everything is relative. You seem to think the only thing that's gamey is some wild Javelina or something.

>> No.5341658

>>5341626

50/50 chuck/brisket sounds about 85/15. Chuck's about 80/20 naturally and brisket is 85/15.

But of course they could have left on the fat caps on both making it higher.

chuck/brisket and a little rib. cant wait.

>> No.5341663

>>5341655
>And chicken is gamey, too if all you eat is pork all day
sorry, meant to sy "if you eat tofu all day"

>> No.5341679

The meat in brisket is fairly lean, but it has large chunks of fat in several areas, which is why slow and low braising, lots of basting, or rotisserie are usually the preferred methods for cooking it whole, to let the fat render out, while the fibers break down, and keeping the fat around the meat to help crust formation and keep it from turning to jerky.
Grinding would mix it all in, so I don't see why not, but you might still get some tougher fibrous bits if it's not a finer grind on it.
Have you thought about tossing in some frozen butter, OP? Not as the whole fat content, as it'll leak out faster than other fats, but the butter browning on the outside of the patty can be delicious.

>> No.5341690

>>5341679
> Grinding would mix it all in, so I don't see why not, but you might still get some tougher fibrous bits if it's not a finer grind on it.
This is the reason I can't just make a 100% brisket burger. It's too tough. It needs the texture part, too.... which would be the chuck and rib which are soft.

> Have you thought about tossing in some frozen butter, OP?
No, I want to go full carnivore on this and have the burger brown in it's own juices. That's why I said I may add extra beef fat if it's still too lean.

>> No.5341694

>>5341655
>Javelina
Fuck you, that is like the Godwin's law of food.

>> No.5341695

>>5341655
>everything is gamey
lol

>> No.5341696

>>5341694
Lol, nah it would be Godwin's law if I called you Steven Rinella. HAIL!

>> No.5341703

>>5341695
>everything is gamey
>>5341655
> Everything is relative

correct. Everything is gamey, relatively. Just like everything is salty, sweet, bitter, etc. relatively to something else. Some cultures put way too much chili pepper in their food. And they think our food tastes bland.

Come on man, are you really this daft or are you trololol

>> No.5341706

>>5341690
OK, then my vote of confidence would go to standard grinding cuts.
I know it's not what you want to hear, but, if you aren't trimming it down and doing your own grinding, a lot of the cuts mentioned will add gristle if not trimmed nicely. I don't think I'd trust a supermarket butcher to put that much effort into a custom grind.
If the guy is a super badass, though, good on him, and lucky you.

>> No.5341709

>>5341703
>everything is subjective
>words have no definition
Then just stop talking, unplug your computer, and vaporize into the ether.

>> No.5341713

>>5341696
>Steven Rinella
Good lord, I Googled the man! I get it, you may not know about javelina by first hand experience, but fuck that shit, and its stomach.

>> No.5341715

>>5341695

what's "gamier" - grilled chicken breast with the skin removed - or raw celery? (NO RANCH!)

>> No.5341716

>>5341690
I just bought a 4 pound tub of wagyu tallow.
Wonder what that would be like added.
I said 30% fat on brisket, but it sounds like I was wrong. I was basing that off of the yield I get when braising whole briskets. I guess when you buy them retail they split the top and bottom (whatever they're called) and trim off the fat caps. I was including that fat.

>> No.5341722

>>5341715
is the celery peeled?

>> No.5341724

>>5341706

what's a standard grinding cut? chuck?

>> No.5341725

>>5341715
What's more gamy, a flannel cape or a Nomarski prism?

>> No.5341727
File: 76 KB, 402x402, poland_is_not_europe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5341722
YEEEEEEEEES!

>> No.5341735

>>5341725
if a retard talks in a thread and noone is around to respond to him, does he make a reply?

>> No.5341740

>>5341724
That's pretty standard. They probably throw in other scraps from trimming primals, but for the most part, unless it says differently on the package, it's chuck (shoulder).

>> No.5341742

>>5341724
that and sirloin are most common because easiest to get a decent result
short rib and brisket aren't unheard of, but they do take extra attention, in my experience (all that silver skin and sinew and whatnot)

>> No.5341747

>>5341735
>noone
Sorry, it is the night time where I am.

>> No.5341762

>>5341503
>Regular ground beef comes from weird parts of the animal and usually isn't that good.

I think that in many stores, the ground beef is made from whatever cuts of meat they need to get rid of.

>> No.5341766

>>5341561
>can i buy beef fat at publix to produce burgers to my stringent standards?

I've read that some big hamburger chain buys lean grass fed beef from outside the country and then adds however much domestic beef fat they need to bring it up to the percentage they want.

>> No.5341772

>>5341766
>big hamburger chain
>grass fed
I doubt it, unless they're getting the stuff no one else wants to use, and really going to town on it with tenderizing and/or texturizing methods, I would think that would raise their bottom line significantly.

>> No.5341796

>>5341772
From http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/retail/2002-04-03-mcdonalds-beef.htm

> Hamburger chains make their patties by mixing lean beef — meat that's no more than 10% fat — with low-cost fat trimmings from packing plants. The resulting patties are similar in fat content to the ground beef typically sold in supermarkets.

>> No.5341821

>>5341796
>5-20 cents a pound cheaper
due to a supply shortage here in the states
It's interesting and surprising to me that the shortage has gotten to the point of making those supplies cheaper, and that they foresee it lasting long enough to research and switch it up.
It's sad to me that they have to try to make them taste just like their other stuff, though. I understand the consistency is their market and all that, I just wish more people would appreciate grass fed for what it is. I love it. Tweak a sauce to compliment the flavor and it'd be so much better, just not what their customers would expect and want.

>> No.5341830

>>5341639
did u just seriously talk shit about my husbando Kenji?

that article was from 2009, he is a god now. i actually recommend you read some of his shit, he was a young player in the game then

>> No.5341857

>>5341709
lmfao

>> No.5341870

>>5341639
>He's got some of the reinventing the wheel aspie behavior as Cook's magazine.
But that's what keeps us on our toes. It's the kind of thoughtfulness that strive for the best, instead of mulling about in the middle ages. Is he always right? Probably not. But you have to constantly be questioning your actions instead of just going through the motions. I'm perpetually changing the cooking proceedures at work. What was good 8 years ago when I started is not good enough to me now.
America's Test Kitchen is the same way. They're not always pumping out the best dishes, but at least they are challenging age old recipes. In fact, they challenge some of their own recipes.
You should always be challenging "The Perfect X", because it will never be "perfect".

>> No.5341878

>>5341503
um that is a high fat to lean ratio, even for me. hope you live in a cold climate,are very active,or eat small portions. I like meatloaf . but use 2 parts 80/20 ground beef and 1 part ground pork ordkin on poultry (figure 60/40 fat) a few wloe eggs, breadcrumbs ketchup, lee&perrins(yes the Britbongs are correct- you gotta/should have that, orange marmelade, lemon curd malt vinegar,tea and a stiff upper lip on hand at all times,spelinon of which, theprime meridion or zulu time is in geenich, plus they gifted the world with the magna charta, pubs,stod almost alone and beat hell out of the guy in>>5341727
pic. just kidding, stand down. "murrican here. I have almost as much extended family and friends in Gb and Austria. I am mid 50's and hope to hang around for some years yet. so I kinda try and guard my heart. like oil in a car. you cant keep putting recycled cheap junk in and expect it to last 300/400k miles I try to eat less fat, weigh less, live more. maybe just to piss ck off. 80/20 total. and part scotts/erin' wellsh but adding oatmeal to meatloaf or meatballs is a very bad idea. a gluey gloppy mess. I guess you could golf at St andrews with them. Assuming you got them through airport security. like superballs.sure could not eat them.

>> No.5341894

>>5341503
look food for dogs without teeth

>> No.5341896

Op here. Well they didn't have brisket but they did have these nice chuck steaks and short ribs that I cannabalized. I also came too late for the extra fat!! Oh well, the chuck and short ribs seem fatty enough.

I guess I didn't specify to then that I want it ground together.,. So I have 2lb chuck ground and 1lb ground short rib.

This is good anyway it'll allow me to make a 50/50 and try them each seperately.

I also got a bone in ribeye steak and a pork tenderloin.will post pics when I get home.

>> No.5341927

>>5341639
Angus isn't a cut, its a breed and brand of cattle, and i wouldnt disohnor wagyu by grinding. Quiet, you.

>> No.5341987
File: 69 KB, 874x817, chuckshortrib.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5341896
Okay here are the wares. Top is ground chuck steak (fatty steaks...) and bottom is the short rib.

First up I guess I'll make a straight ground chuck patty and see how much just that is better then regular ground beef.

Keep in mind - that ground beef varies WIDELY by area. For example when I was in Florida, their ground beef, the $1.99/lb prepackaged beef logs... were phenomenal! I couldn't believe I missed out on it. Then I come here, same logs - horrible catfood taste. Gross.

So, OP is unfortunate enough to live in an area where the ground beef is shit.

>> No.5342005

>>5341927
Angus isn't even really a breed. The definition is very loose and it is essentially a marketing term that doesn't mean much.

>> No.5342011

>>5342005
exactly. I just mentioned that so 5-second anons don't send me links about the "breed". It was originally some kind of breed, but nowadays its all marketing hype. What they mostly mean is its from the Angus Company...

>> No.5342019

Well, I'm all for expirementing today.

I'll make a chuck burger on the pan, and make one on the grill and see which one is better. This is a question i've had to ask myself several times. I feel like pan-seared burgers just taste better.

>> No.5342025

>>5341581
i have been making pork burgers. grinding whole butts, which is around 80/20 i have read. makes a nice burger.

makes good Italian sausage too. i make brats with it but i think that needed more fat. they are a little dense.

>> No.5342028

tfw i work for the largest meat company in the world and i worked in the ground beef department.Packed meat for wendys hamburgers.

>> No.5342042

>>5342028
So how many E-coli recalls are you responsible for?

>> No.5342038

>>5341987
First Useful Post Award winner here:
Too bad tou have to mix the meats together yourself (over mixing) but at least you'll get to try them alone.
Carry on in your venture.
Keep posting. Lurkers are interested too.

>> No.5342051
File: 148 KB, 1186x883, burger.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5342028

cool! OP here. I'm interested. Tell me what kind of cuts you used to give to wendys. Was it all the crappy bones? I actually like wendys - and something tells me they use mostly chuck. (that something is the fact it tastes good)

Anyway... I just ate this ground chuck steak patty. And HOLY SHIT! I was totally right. Whatever the regular ground beef is - its SHIT. poop! manure. This was just 100% ground chuck steak (so it was about 75/25) and it tastes AMAZING. Beefy, juicy. It doesn't even look the same when you cook it! It stays together like a steak instead of rendering down like melting plastic.

I cooked the burger to medium rare and it was the best burger I've ever cooked myself. And I didn't even try the grill or the short rib yet.

>> No.5342063

>>5342051
Wendy's and In-N-Out burger use the same cut of beef both use only steer.While McD's,Jack and some other we supply use "scaps" pretty nasty shit.Wendy's and in-n-out do use chuck and wendys uses another nice cut but cant remember what it is.We also supply major food stores with ground beef.Funny thing is walmart is the pickyest.Would say more but i dont want this to some how come back at me.Also got to go to bed.

>> No.5342068

>>5342051
>>5342063
Also forgot Mcd's,Jack and the others use dairy cow beef which is fucking gross compared to steer.

>> No.5342072
File: 100 KB, 975x717, shortribonly.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5342051

Okay, now I made myself a patty of just the short rib. Hmm. This is interesting. there's definitely a diference. First of all, the short ribs are beefier. They just taste like a more concentrated flavor. But, their texture by itself is a bit crumbly. Not too much, it's still juicy and delicious, but I can see how adding Chuck to this mix could actually improve the texture while not sacrificing flavor.

The chuck was a little TOO juicy, and this one is a bit lean. I have a feeling 50/50 would make a great burger.

But I still haven't fired up the grill... maybe its better on the grill.

>> No.5342078

>>5342005

You are thinking about "Black Angus".

Angus really is a breed. Black Angus is a marketing scheme.

>> No.5342080

>>5342078

Black Angus is a fucking steakhouse. Bro... shut the fuck up.

> http://www.blackangus.com/ (restaraunt)
> http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/ marketing scheme.

>> No.5342116

Alright, even though I ate 2 burgers, I'm firing up the chimney and cooking all this nonsense.

I'll cook a chuck burger, a 50/50 chuck/short rib burger, a ribeye steak, and a beef tenderloin. Fuck it. I'll just pig out. I'll still have a bunch of ground beef for tomorrow.

>> No.5342134
File: 50 KB, 664x892, superhotcoals.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Super hot coals...

>> No.5342153

>>5342134

WOW. Okay, so I grilled a burger on the open flames at like 550 degrees... 50/50 Short rib and Chuck steak ....

Holy shit! Wow. First of all - this mix is amazing. I was right and 50/50 short rib and chuck are perfect. But not only that, but this is the best grilled burger I've ever had. It actually tasted better then the pan version.

Sorry I didn't take a pic... phone was messing up and I wanted to eat it!

>> No.5342161

>>5342153
Your lack of rigor in recording your cooking saddens me.

>> No.5342167

>>5341639
You know meat grinders really aren't all that expensive right?

>> No.5342169

>>5342161
sorry man... It just looked like a grilled patty. I don't have taste-O-vision. Besides, my camera sucks yadda yadda yadda.

>>5342167
Yeah i'll get one some time. $30 bucks is a lot of money.

>> No.5342171

>>5342169
$30 bucks is a lot of money.
Wat, how can you afford meat? Are you on food stamps so the food is free but tools are not?

>> No.5342176

>>5342171

Do you have a bottomless wallet? Sure sounds like you do. Anyone on any sort of budget has necessary expenses and unnessesary expenses. I don't NEED a grinder right now. I want one, you want me to have one, but I don't NEED it. Therefore it will wait for another time, when the grinder makes me an offer I can't refuse. Like a BBQ i have to host, or something along those lines.

Also, just because something CAN be done, doesn't mean it SHOULD be done.

>> No.5342177

>>5342176
You don't need to be attempting to make "perfect ground beef" until you can afford a grinder.
Buy some ramen next time if money is so tight.

>> No.5342183

>>5342177
> Buy some ramen next time if money is so tight.

money is not tight, i just don't go around throwing money away. Oh, look a grinder! I don't have one of these! A mini fridge! a recliner! A mini van! a this! a that!

you sound really young.

>> No.5342188
File: 127 KB, 1185x816, ribeye.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyway, this grill is still at 500 degrees... I don't want to waste these coals.

And burgers are nice, but what I really like is this ribeye I just grilled.

>> No.5342192

>>5342183
Just because you CAN throw your money away on BEEF that lasts for one day doesn't mean you SHOULD.
Instead you could have bought a tool that would have lasted. But hey beef today. I do like that you are comparing a tool, the meat grinder to a mini-fridge or minivan.
You should like someone who is literally eating his money with nothing to show for it. But I really would like how you justify this "perfect ground beef" expenditure in your budget.

>> No.5342200
File: 123 KB, 1188x757, welldone.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5342188

> uh-oh... /ck/ is not going to like this...

I know OP is so perfect you can't get a diss in, so here's a freebie. OP seems to have overcooked his steak. It's kind of a medium-well now. Oh well, still juicy.

>> No.5342207

>>5342188
Do you have a temperature gun or is that what the highly inaccurate grill thermometer currently says?

>> No.5342209

>>5342192
> But I really would like how you justify this "perfect ground beef" expenditure in your budget.

ok, first of all... how do you justify sitting on /ck/ instead of saving the world, asshole?

Second of all... you are a judgemental pretentious prick and are just trying to whine and annoy me to make yourself feel better.

Third... I'm not broke. EVERYONE is on a budget you larvae. Even millionaires... they hire accountants... to .... manage... their... BUDGETs.

You came at me like 3 posts ago with all these retarded assumptions, talking about buying a fucking meat grinder when they grind meat on demand at the store. I was trying to explain to you - that this is a frivolous expenditure. If I had EXTRA money, or I really needed it... I would get a grinder. I think my grandma has one, I could probably borrow that one though.

You just can't get over the fact that your hail mary of assumptions and projections didn't end up with the result you expected. Fucking moron.

Get some help, bro. Some meds or something. I can't be your psychiatrist every thread, I got fucking burgers and steaks to cook.

> Some people have no fucking lives

>> No.5342214

>>5342207

H.I.G.T... I wish I had a meat thermometer so I wouldn't end up with medium-well steak again.

OH I KNOW! I SHOULD GO BUY ONE! SINCE I SHOULD BUY EVERYTHING I WANT, right buddy? >>5342192

OR no! sorry... I meant... as long as I don't have an extra 40 bucks to throw away on a new kitchen appliance every day, I should move out of my apartment and live in a tent down by the VA, cause that's what all poor people and bums do. There's no such thing as a middle ground!

>> No.5342212

>>5342209
Man money issues must really be depressing you man. Maybe you should try to get a better job.

>> No.5342217

>>5342212

lol u r terrible troll

>> No.5342220

>>5342214
I thought we decided a grinder was $30. I'm jut saying you have a lot of money to throw away on consumables, such as beef, but apparently not enough to buy tools with. How could you afford those coals?

>> No.5342222

>>5342220
> but apparently

Yeah, i think maybe you need to get your apparenter checked out. It's not really working correctly.

but I know nobody can be this stupid and you're just trolling me.

>> No.5342225

>>5342222
Do you really not think that is a word? It was even used correctly in this context, I can literally see the beef you are burning money as you posted pictures of it.

>> No.5342227

>>5342225

Look man, im new on this planet... all this shit is confusing. Are you supposed to suck my balls now? I saw a couple doing it in the parking lot I landed next to. This is all very new to me. I do like Earth Beef, however. The Galgamesh Steer is covered in razor sharp thorns that release toxic venom.

>> No.5342228

or... or... maybe...
different recipes call for different minces and different meat/fat ratio....

>> No.5342234

>>5342227
And it's time to pretend to be a retard, nice. Thought it must not be that hard when you can't afford a meat grinder but CAN afford to waste your money on beef.

>> No.5342238

>>5342228

different recipes for what? I only have one recipe - burgers! Either grilled or pan fried, but 8oz thin-burgers is what the recipe is.

I mean, if you're making something like meatloaf there's even onions and other spices you mix in. We're not making meatloaf.

>> No.5342239

>>5342234
though*

>> No.5342241

50/50 beef pork, or 1/3 of each beef/pork/lamb if you aren't cheap

your food processor should work fine

>> No.5342243

>>5342234

We don't have a word for currency on Galgamesh. All goods and services are rendered in exchange for ball sucking. For example, I had to suck 4,312 ballsacks (or 8,624 individual balls) to purchase my ship, the S.T.F.U. Already Mark III.

>> No.5342244

>>5342241
>food processor
enjoy your meat paste with the occasional misshapen lump of muscle tissue.

>> No.5342245

>>5342241
> beef/pork
> beef/pork/lamb

I might be okay with mixing beef and lamb, but pork? It's all lean and tasteless... well sometimes fatty, but the wrong kind of fatty. Pork is the chicken of mammalia.

But, then again... all the cured meats and sausages use pork and those are delicious. bacon, too.

Have you actually done this yourself?

>> No.5342247

>>5342080
You're right. Certified Angus, not Black Angus.

>> No.5342248

>>5342243
Maybe you could suck some more balls and get a meat grinder.

>> No.5342253

>>5342248
> meat grinder company shill detected.

Will you shills just leave us alone?! We don't want a meat grinder and we don't want fucking chipotle!

>> No.5342256

>>5342253
I haven't mentioned any brands, so I would work for the industry rather than a single company.

>> No.5342282

>>5342256

very perceptive. If only you could have applied this perception about 12 replies back

>> No.5342287

>>5342282
I'll admit I missed a few posts where op proved to be a pants on head retard earlier in the thread.

>> No.5342291

>>5341703
I honestly can't tell if you're retarded or amazing at trolling

>> No.5342295

They don't even sell 70/30 mince in my local Waitrose. 80/20 is the most fat content and that stuff is shit tier compared to their 10% stuff, which I prefer to their 5% stuff.

>> No.5342298

>>5342291
He's retarded.

>> No.5342299

>>5342051
>It stays together like a steak instead of rendering down like melting plastic.
Dude what horrible shitty meat have you cooked with, literally none of my meat has done that

>> No.5342301
File: 29 KB, 482x800, 1362035588736.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5341558
>only using mince to make burgers

>> No.5342302

>>5341554
>your favorite burger places have 60/40 mixes including whataburger, and In-N-out. Five guys has 70/30.

>eating at burger places
>not just making a superior homemade low-fat one

>> No.5342303

>>5342200
Shit chef status confirmed

>> No.5342306

>>5342245
>pork
>lean and tasteless
Wow.

>> No.5342308

Lost you in the shit talk, OP.
Can't bother to read through it.
Can you start a thread with results?
As much as I hate tripfaggotry, this is one of the instances where it would be of value.
Hanging on.

>> No.5342314

>>5342308
No it wouldn't this guy has done done a terrible job of documenting his cooking procedures. At best he can say I cooked some stuff and I thought it was pretty good.

>> No.5342357

>>5342306

What's so "wow" about it? Everyone knows that.

>> No.5344079

Bump

>> No.5344086

>>5342308
>>5342314

I do have results. So far I tried ground fatty chuck steak (instead of regular chuck) and it was amazing.

I also tried ground short rib by itself and it was good but the texture was crumbly. It was very beefy though.

The 50/50 mix of the chuck and the short rib was the best (i think would come out to about 80/20 fat because the chuck steak was very fatty)

I am going to continue this experiment with other meats, so check back for more results.

>> No.5344103

>>5341503
>70/30 (meat/fat) ratio at minimum is required, but I want to push it up to 60/40.

I'm on keto, but all the stores only sell extra lean hamburger near where I live.

Fuck

>> No.5344279

>>5344103
>I'm on keto, but all the stores only sell extra lean hamburger near where I live.

yaeh, and if they do sell 70/30, DONT BUY IT! its shit.

What you gotta do is pick out some fatty steaks on sale... some chuck or something else. something for about 4-6$ a pound at most. And then tell the guy to grind it.

I'm glad you're here. I'm about to make some 50/50 burgers - Ground Chuck Steak and Short Rib

>> No.5344300
File: 115 KB, 1129x868, burgertime.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Burger time.

>> No.5344305

>>5344300

Having the raw beef on the same plate that close to every thing. Enjoy your ecoli.

>> No.5344326
File: 114 KB, 1156x807, charliebrown.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5344300

>> No.5344331

>>5344300
holy fucking cross contamination

you shouldn't be allowed to cook

>> No.5344332
File: 132 KB, 1180x868, foxxybrown.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5344326

>> No.5344344
File: 94 KB, 922x888, delicious_ecoli.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5344305
>>5344331

haha, germiphobes. I picked that steak out myself. There was no contamination. I mean I WAS going to use another plate, but just for you guys, I'm not even going to wash this one. In fact, there's still little bits of raw ground beef around here somewhere. Hahaha! I'm sure ill get super sick guys! Watch me die.

>> No.5344346
File: 114 KB, 1188x837, moreecoliplease.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5344305
> Enjoy your ecoli.

I will enjoy it. It looks fucking delicious.

>> No.5344357

>iceberg lettuce
you're absolutely disgusting and a horrible human being

>> No.5344370

>>5344357

yeah well i went to the El Supermarcado across the street and all they had was "Fud" brand american cheese, shit tier yellow onions, and 99 cent hamburger buns.

Lol still better then you can do.

>> No.5344420

that shit looks delicious but then again i am pretty fucked up

>> No.5344473

There's not any science to making a "perfect" burger. Just get some quality chuck and mince it, sirloin or anything is unnecessary.
Mix finely chopped onion to keep the patty moist, cook on mid heat with little oil and remove at medium well or rarer.
Cheese is optional but try mixing some of your favorite cheese.
Get some good buns from a bakery or make yourself, toast and build the burger.

The most important part of a good burger is the ingredients. Sorry, but this >>5344346
looks like crap just from the toppings alone. It's hard to taste the patty when it's sandwiched between a thicker tomato slice and 10 layers of iceberg lettuce and covered in cold American cheese.

>> No.5344477

>>5344473

every thing you said is wrong.
> Mix finely chopped onion to keep the patty moist
thats a meatloaf sandwich.

> It's hard to taste the patty when it's sandwiched between a thicker tomato slice and 10 layers of iceberg lettuce and covered in cold American cheese.
it was 2 patties. And it just looks like that before i squished it, dumbass.

>> No.5344482

>>5344370
where the fuck do you live? all the mexican groceries around me have better produce than any gringo store.

>> No.5344491

>>5344477
>every thing you said is wrong.
This is literally wrong in every sense.
The onion melts inside giving flavor and keeping the patty moist.
Those burgers are taller than a 2 year old and most of the height is made of lettuce and tomato. But that's irrelevant. Your two greasy patties will get lost in all that lettuce and tomato, squished or not.

>> No.5345956

>>5341574
>Whatever deliciousness your 80/20 was, 60/40 will double it.
You're wrong, but we can see that you won't be told.

Enjoy your fat!

>> No.5345959

>>5344491

ive made patties with onions before. that's not a hamburger. I like them too. Sometimes im in the mood for them. They're called Kotleti. not hamburgers.

>> No.5346062

>>5344473
This guy is on to the secret. My mother has always put onions and even oatmeal in her burgers. If the semantics of what the dish is called stops you from enjoying the 2nd greatest meat that can be put on a bun, then that's your loss

>> No.5346066

>>5346062
see
>>5345959

its not bad, its not a burger though. it does stop me. i love onions but not embedded into the ground beef.

>> No.5346091

>>5346066
At least add eggs so it stops pissing all the juices down the grill

>> No.5346094

>>5346091

is that what the egg was for? hmm. ill think about it. I do hate that juice running down

>> No.5346109

>>5346094
Yeah, eggs and Worcester sauce do wonders for keeping burgers moist (If you like Worcester that is). Onion soup mix is pretty good if you want the onion flavor but not the chunks too
There's a lot more to burgers than just the meat; you can still make good burgers from sale ground beef.

Source: college student

>> No.5346110

The more you screw around with the hamburger and compress it, the worse the resulting hamburger. I would never even consider mixing something in with the meat unless it is mixed in while grinding the meat.

>> No.5346117

>>5346110
That's the best way to do it, but I guess it's all a trade off. Besides, you have to compress it a little so it doesn't disintegrate on the grill

>> No.5346131

>>5346117
The best hamburgers I have ever eaten were handled just enough to form somewhat recognizable patties. Thick patties, but still patties.

One effect of handling is to separate the fat from the muscle. That is especially true if what you use to handle it warms up the meat. If you must mix something in, you would probably want to do it with equipment that remains chilled so as not to heat the meat up.

The other thing is that the more it is handled, the more it is compacted and the less air space. I think the main result of not overhandling the meat is that it has more air space internally and leaves more room for the juices to remain in the hambuger instead of running out on the grill.

Every hamburger I have ever eaten that was shaped into the usual nice round thin patty was, at best, average and often well below average.

Of course, if you compress it with the spatula before, during, or after cooking as many people do, it's going to be second rate anyway so compressing it won't hurt it.