[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 127 KB, 487x867, PRb9fgb[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5333190 No.5333190 [Reply] [Original]

http://truestoriesofamidwestyankee.wordpress.com/2014/03/19/to-the-woman-behind-me-in-line-at-the-grocery-store/

>Gogurt $3.19
>Sargento string cheese $4.99
>Snapple $1.00
>Altoids $2.09
>Juicy Juice $3.99
>Bananas $1.90
>Tax .22

>Total $17.38

Seriously, fuck this bitch and her victim mentality, You have 5 hungry kids to feed and that's what you choose to buy? People like this are fuel for politicians looking to cut EBT funding. Pick up a loaf of bread and some peanut butter, a box of pasta and a can of sauce, even some dried beans and it all could have some out around the same. Could have fed the entire family for a few meals

So ITT: Your opinions on the story and how you would feed yourself, your spouse, and 5 kids for $17.38 or less.

>> No.5333196

poor people dont know how to spend money
thats why they're poor

>> No.5333198

>buying fucking mints with EBT

>>5333196
please don't

>> No.5333206

>>5333190
Hopefully she stole a tray of chicken breasts and a bag of grain. That's what I do.

>> No.5333208

>>5333190
Apparently her kids are lactose intolerant, gluten intolerant, and have various other allergies. ... Which raises the question of why she would buy cheese and yogurt.

>> No.5333209

at least her kids are gonna have fresh breath

>> No.5333214
File: 121 KB, 500x500, 1332626239379.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

All she bought was sugar for her "hungry" kids!?
Last week, I bought $12 worth of groceries and made 9 meals to go into the freezer. It's seriously not that complicated.
Christ on a bike, lady, you could have at least bought bread instead of sugar. No wonder your kid is starving.

>> No.5333235

>>5333190

to-the-faggot-blogger-on-CK-who-likes-to-dish-it-out-but-can't-take-it:

You don't know anything about that woman's situation, her motivations, anything else. ANYTHING could have been a good reason to do that. What if she just got a job and she doesn't really need the stamps anymore... you want her to give the money back instead of wasting it? yeah fucking right!

Maybe she works at a rice and bean factory and doesn't need anything except mints.

Maybe you're a judgemental faggot and you need to shut the fuck up and mind your own business. It's people like you that hang innocent people because it gives them a false sence of justice.

SHUT THE FUCK UP. If you've never been broke enough for food stamps, don't fucking talk about it.

> Protip: if someone ever mentioned to me in the supermarket line "Why you are buying that with food stamps? Poor people should eat poor." I would beat the shit out of you. No joke.

MIND YOUR OWN. STAY TO YOUR OWN. TAKE CARE OF YOUR OWN. bitch.

>> No.5333247

If I'm understanding correctly, the store she shopped at had a small selection and since she was travelling with her kids, they needed something to eat. Which sort of explains why the food selection she chose was portable - Gogurt, string cheese, banana, etc.

>> No.5333251

>>5333247

some yogurt, cheese, and bananas aren't even that unhealthy... and the sugar is probably to keep them from going hyper....

even rich people have problems with kids and sugar. My mom has a bowl of random candy in the kitchen, so my little brother's always got some sugar in his mouth.

>> No.5333254

>>5333235
You're cute

>> No.5333255

>>5333254
sorry im straight.

>> No.5333263

>>5333235
You forgot to tell them to check their privilege.

>> No.5333285

>>5333190
How did you turn this into a negative thing?

>So shines a good deed in a weary world

>> No.5333307

>>5333285
Not OP, but I can answer that. See... she's poison. She feels bad because she's poison. And she needs to blog to release her poison. And she spreads her poison around so that everyone is just as poisoned as her so she feels better, relatively. Miserable cunt.

She wants the people who can't afford food to be even worse off. While she's probably living off her rich dad's money and having hobbies and creative pursuits like blogging of all the conceited things.

*shudder*

>> No.5333312
File: 27 KB, 430x360, chavez.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw people believe the myth of rampant EBT abuse

Protip: Like the person in OP's link, most people on SNAP do NOT want to be on SNAP. They're embarrassed by it, feel like they've failed to provide for themselves, etc. They're not proud of it.

Are there people who abuse it? Of course.

Are these people the majority? No.

You hear stories all the time of people blowing it all on candy and soda BECAUSE those stories are outrageous. No one cares about the woman who buys some chicken thighs and lentils to feed her family or the college student that buys a sack of flour to make some bread for cheap. Those stories aren't exciting enough to tell people about.

You probably see tons of people at the grocery store every day using EBT cards and buying sensible food items, you just don't notice it. When you see a fat black woman with four kids and a cart full of kool-aid and chips, you're going to pay a lot more attention to how she pays. You didn't even look twice at the dad with two kids buying pasta and broccoli.

My favorite is when people try to shit on SNAP benefits by saying "people use it to buy cigarettes and booze!", totally neglecting the fact that there are very clear safeguards put in place to make this impossible and, if by some ridiculous means someone does manage to buy restricted items, these are tiny isolated events that, again, get blown way out of proportion.

Further reading:

http://feedingamerica.org/how-we-fight-hunger/programs-and-services/public-assistance-programs/supplemental-nutrition-assistance-program/snap-myths-realities.aspx

>> No.5333324

>>5333312
>mfw people believe the myth of rampant EBT abuse
It's better to get people upset about poor people being leeches instead of having them get mad about literally trillions of dollars being given to corporations who essentially caused a massive recession. The multi-million dollar bonuses of those execs were subsidized by taxpayers, but you should be worried about that guy who bought pizza or chocolate bars with his SNAP.

>> No.5333327

>>5333312
>What liberals actually believe
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/02/16/investigation-uncovers-people-selling-taxpayer-funded-food-stamps/

My mother is on food stamps. She buys all sortsa stupid shit instead of buying basics.

>> No.5333331

>>5333324
thanks man. you're one of the few voices of reason.

>>5333327
and you are talking shit about your own mother.

>> No.5333334

kek

>> No.5333354
File: 134 KB, 778x1018, andrethegiant.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5333327

>look! abuse is rampant! this totally unbiased large media company, which certainly has no interest in playing up stories, told me so!

Did you even read the post?

>> No.5333361

>>5333312
>Are these people the majority?

Yes. Now STFU fggt.

>> No.5333371

>>5333312

My family gets SNAP, about $400 a month, but my brother is on SSI because of severe autism and motor dysfunctions. We buy diet soda and such off the EBT too, sometimes having something good to drink or eat distracts you temporarily from the realization that we will never be financially successful.

90% of our money goes to buying meats and vegetables cause he's also on a low sugar/carb diet. You know when that EBT cut happened we went from $400 to literally $20 in one month. When you're already struggling to pay bills where the fuck are you going to find an extra $400?

Most opponents of EBT are pretty much the most ignorant or entitled kids like Romney who were handed everything by their parents. Most of us want OFF government assistance, but every time one of us makes more money in a month, our benefits get cut by twice that amount and we actually go deeper. This whole economic system is entirely designed to keep people on government assistance because they can't escape it.

>> No.5333380
File: 173 KB, 515x366, brandGroup(1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Seriously, fuck this bitch and her victim mentality, You have 5 hungry kids to feed and that's what you choose to buy?

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the story. It's not even the items so much as it is the fact that she's buying fancy brand-name shit. It was an IGA, not some tiny rinky-dink grocer. For $5 she could have bought a brick of mozzarella and cut her own fucking cheese sticks.

>> No.5333394

>>5333327
posts story about 5 or 10 or even 50 people in a city of oh lessee what google says
>About 4.2 million Californians receive benefits, including more than 1.1 million residents of Los Angeles County.

cool sample size brahski

>> No.5333395
File: 11 KB, 839x385, 1396659045834.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5333235

>> No.5333399

>>5333371
> 90% of our money goes to buying meats and vegetables cause he's also on a low sugar/carb diet. You know when that EBT cut happened we went from $400 to literally $20 in one month. When you're already struggling to pay bills where the fuck are you going to find an extra $400?
exactly.

> Most opponents of EBT are pretty much the most ignorant or entitled kids like Romney who were handed everything by their parents.
Exactly!

> Most of us want OFF government assistance, but every time one of us makes more money in a month, our benefits get cut by twice that amount and we actually go deeper. This whole economic system is entirely designed to keep people on government assistance because they can't escape it.
EXACTLY!!! It's a flawed system.

> For $5 she could have bought a brick of mozzarella and cut her own fucking cheese sticks.
You want her to fucking make her own string cheese you idiot? It comes in little packaged sticks, theres like 12 sticks in the box.. shut the fuck up.

IF YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN ON FOOD STAMPS, KINDLY SHUT THE FUCK UP AND STOP TALKING ABOUT SHIT YOU DONT KNOW.

While we're at it - if you've never tried drugs, alcohol, or pot - don't talk shit about it.

If you've never been gay - don't talk shit about it.

If you've never been black and in the ghetto - don't talk shit about it.

> no, im not a gay black man living in the ghetto off of food stamps. I'm just saying.

>> No.5333426

Anecdotal, but here is what I saw.

>Worked at a supermarket
>Roughly 75% of the people who came in with EBT bought pure shit. Cake, soda, candy, slim jims, lots of frozen pre-made crap.
>Rarely any fresh vegetables, meat or staples.
>On several occasions they would use what little cash they had for cigarettes and booze.

The poor tend to be some of the unhealthiest due to diet, and many of the people on EBT were overweight, if not obese.

I get that these people need to feed themselves, I just think that there need to be more regulations on what they can buy. Why the fuck can they buy soda and candy with taxpayer money?

>inb4 they have a hard life and deserve treats

As I said, the bulk of the people were all buying shitty food most of the time. This wasn't a one time thing, I saw the same people come in week after week and do this. They could use some of the little cash they spent on booze and cigarettes for that stuff.

It was hardest of all seeing parents buy this stuff with EBT, as their kids are already starting off life in a hole.

Why not limit what you can buy with ebt to fruit, veg, staples, etc? Food stamps literally use to be a stamp that said, "good for one can of peanut butter" etc.

>> No.5333430

>>5333426
Our local farmers market also allows you to get double your EBT worth in fruit and vegetables.

I asked around a bunch of the farmers, they said people rarely take advantage of the program.

>> No.5333434

>>5333399

>You want her to fucking make her own string cheese you idiot? It comes in little packaged sticks, theres like 12 sticks in the box.. shut the fuck up.

This is why you're poor.

>> No.5333436

>>5333371
Diet soda, huh? You're pouring aspartame down your autistic brother's throat, pretty sure that's not helping him much. Your pity party isn't very impressive, either. One of the richest men in the world is a Chinese man with a sixth grade education. Ansel Adams didn't graduate high school. Bill Gates didn't graduate college.

It would probably be easier to get off of government assistance if you didn't have so many people in your family, or if you started working to help support them.

>> No.5333448

>>5333434

no, you're a moron. she stopped in to get portable snacks, not to buy groceries for her. She needed something THERE ANND THEN. Also... did you not have a fucking childhood? When everyone got lunchables, did your mom pack her own version? With round toast, tomato ketchup, and sliced hot dogs? And all the kids made fun of you?

what the fuck are you even talking abuot? You're a fucking moron going off nothing but assumptions. You don't have enough life experience to say anything. "this is why you're poor"

no, you don't have kids you have no idea how hard it is to get them to shut the fuck up.

> make your own mozarella sticks
Thats the most depressing shit ive ever read and id rather go to jail for SNAP abuse then form my own string cheese... jesus.

You have no fucking common sense and no clue, whatsoever. You should take a break from sitting online - it's gone to your head.

>> No.5333453

>buying Special Edition go-gurt

what a waste of money

>> No.5333464

>>5333448
LMFAO oh man please tell me you aren't real. Your only conception of a kid's lunch are Lunchables, and you're on CK?

Also, lunchables are perfectly affordable if you only have one child. Poor niggers and trash have 3-5, and opt to raise them without the father's assistance besides child support (unless he's in prison)

>> No.5333471

>>5333436

Bill Gates got rich not out of "hard work" or "hurr durr yur own boot straps" guarantee you my father who worked at a steel refinery worked a 1000x harder than anyone on the so called "richest man in the world" list.

Here's a shock for you, if you don't have money, you won't get money, getting money comes down to luck or inheritance or trust fund. There's no in between. But judging from your post you sound like an ignorant entitled kid who's never actually worked a real job in his life.

The whole country's economy is designed to reinforce the poor being poorer, while companies like BP who dump billions of gallons of crude oil into our ocean are given awards for and billions of dollars in tax cuts for cleaning up their own mess, when in any just world, the CEO and board of directors should have been strung up and shot.

>> No.5333475

>>5333235
>You don't know anything about that woman's situation, her motivations, anything else. ANYTHING could have been a good reason to do that.
it's not Christmas nor is it spend-money-on-unnecessary-things-while-poor day

>What if she just got a job and she doesn't really need the stamps anymore..
well then she would presumably be able to pay it with her own money instead of EBT and/or wouldn't feel the need to make a blog post about how important $18 is to her otherwise

>Maybe she works at a rice and bean factory and doesn't need anything except mints.
then she shouldn't be getting EBT, a.k.a. food stamps, i.e. stamps for food because you can't afford it entirely on your own

>SHUT THE FUCK UP. If you've never been broke enough for food stamps, don't fucking talk about it.
"if you've never been x, it's impossible for you to empathize or understand x!"

>"Why you are buying that with food stamps? Poor people should eat poor."
she's on food stamps and has five kids, so she's not doing so great in the makes-good-choices department. the OP is justified in pointing out her lack of frugalness for someone that should be more concerned about being a financially independent adult. her kids don't have to go hungry or even without yogurt - but gogurt, sargento and juicy juice? i'm sure there are cheaper brands that you could probably save even more money on by buying in bulk. mints? pls go. blog post? pls go pls.

but you're right, we don't know about this woman or her situation. however, her taking this meh story to the internet for attention instead of quietly lauding this person to her family and teaching them that that's how good people act is what is giving people the opportunity to criticize her in the first place. my grandmother has done this kind of favor for people in the past, and tax payers do it every day. this isn't worthwhile.

>I would beat the shit out of you. No joke.
>MIND YOUR OWN. STAY TO YOUR OWN. TAKE CARE OF YOUR OWN. bitch.
go back to tumblr

>> No.5333476

>>5333464
> Also, lunchables are perfectly affordable if you only have one child.

are you fucking retarded? they're $3.00 a calorie... you need two just to not be hungry.

> Poor niggers and trash have 3-5, and opt to raise them without the father's assistance besides child support (unless he's in prison)

once again SHUT THE FUCK UP AND STOP TALKING ABOUT SHIT YOU HAVE CLUE ABOUT YOU FUCKING BITCH

>> No.5333477

>>5333448
There's no excuse for lunchables.

>> No.5333483

>>5333448
>When everyone got lunchables, did your mom pack her own version? With round toast, tomato ketchup, and sliced hot dogs? And all the kids made fun of you?

Y-yes? W-why are you making me feel, anon?

>> No.5333490

>>5333471

I love it when people like you claim everybody is using anecdotal (that means you saw it yourself, I figure you are probably not well educated),. but then turn around and say things like

>Here's a shock for you, if you don't have money, you won't get money, getting money comes down to luck or inheritance or trust fund.

Lets see, I came from nothing, worked hard, got scholarships, worked while I was in school and now make a great living as a programmer.

Your mindset is what keeps you poor. You blame everybody else for your problems, it is never your fault.

Stay mad.

>> No.5333494

>>5333483
It is okay, he didn't get the food he needed to develop a fully functioning brain.

Be proud of home packed lunches. It fights this boogeyman of consumer oppression the poor people keep talking about.

>> No.5333495

>>5333471
Guarantee you your father, who worked at a steel refinery, is a fool who didn't assess his options or invest his money very well. I don't pity those who choose sweaty labor over making themselves into assets for society, and I certainly will not pay for their poor choices. Buying a $2 tin of Altoids with SNAP, for instance, is a pretty fucking poor choice, regardless of who you are or where you came from.

I'm glad your daddy worked hard, anon. Going to take it you aren't very old yourself if you're using your father as a prop for a strange, ironically entitled argument.

>> No.5333501

>>5333490

Wrong, I work about 72 hours of work and own my own game studio, publishing indie projects and making a decent living. You are the one spouting off generalities and anecdotes that if you're own EBT it's because you are a lazy shit.

But guess what, every dollar extra I make, SNAP takes away two. It is literally impossible for me to get ahead when I and millions like me are literally discouraged from being successful.

>> No.5333502 [DELETED] 

>>5333190
I stopped reading after gogurt.
What kind of pathetic person are you?
GOGURT?

I think that you should kill yourself now and prevent the rest of humanity from having to deal with anything from your side of the genetic pool.

>> No.5333505

>>5333495

Pretty sure you have never lived on your own, supported a family or worked a hard day in your entire life.

>> No.5333511

>>5333501

Hah, whatever you say.

>> No.5333513

>>5333495
This entitled piece of shit never had a hard life.

It's not because of your fucking good decisions or your dad's. Its because he got fucking lucky. He knew the right people at the right time.

too bad you'll never learn the meaning of hard work because you'll get all his money when he croaks and continue being an ignorant blight on humanity as we know it.

looking down on your brothers for buying food... no matter the kind... you are a piece of fucking filth.

>> No.5333515

>>5333511

Go back to wearing polo shirts and sucking dudes off at the GAP.

>> No.5333522

>>5333495
>sweaty labor
>asset for society

pick two

>> No.5333527

>>5333513

Pretty sure his parents pay for his car, his insurance, his books, his rent while he goes to school off of scholarships because he lived in a suburban neighborhood, maybe had private schools or lessons and has had a top 10% lifestyle and has literally never had to lift a finger or show any genuine effort to get or do anything.

>> No.5333531

Anyone else have experience with shitheads on EBT?

As a cashier, 3 years ago, some stupid cunt came into the grocery where I worked and just made a big piss of herself and how she was on EBT. I was polite the entire time but all I could think was "calm the fuck down lady".

I have no problem with people on EBT, that's fine, I get it, I'm not in finical straits myself. But I have no tolerance for anyone being a cunt. When I had to tell her a shitload of her items wouldn't count towards EBT she mad a big fight out of it, and when I finally got her to pay for the EBT only items, the system got fucked up and wouldn't process her shit.

Then she got even more pissed off and threw a big hissyfit and practically bashed the machine over and over, even swiping her card over and over and over for no reason; as if it would help. After calming down and waiting for about 3 minutes she flew off the handle again and said "FUCK THIS" and stormed off without even taking her goods. The system came back online and charged her twice for her shit. Dumb bitch.

I had to appologize to the customers behind her for being so terrible and for the long wait. Cunts are the worst..

>> No.5333534

>>5333515
>Go back to wearing polo shirts and sucking dudes off at the GAP.

If you've never wear polo shirts and suck dick at the gap, don't talk shit about it.

>> No.5333535

>>5333505
I really didn't want to bite, but I will: left the house at 18 to be a deck swab. Average four-five hour sleep for months on end, a few hundred bucks every pay check to start with. Go to work at 4 am, leave at seven or eight in the evening. I've worked so hard I'm pretty sure it's given me brain damage...and I'm doing it to go to college, because obvs too poor to have a trust fund and dropped out in my sophomore year to work. This is a common story among the people I serve with.

>> No.5333551

>>5333198
>please don't
my dirt poor mexican grandma raised, fed, and clothed eight children off one dirt poor mexican grandpa's income. They never went hungry.

>> No.5333552
File: 999 KB, 250x251, 1367688692295.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5333235
>Maybe she works at a rice and bean factory and doesn't need anything except mints.

What kind of world does this person live in?

>> No.5333554

>>5333476
Saw 'em for $1.50 each at my local Albertson's. Totally plugging them I guess, but just saying.

>> No.5333555

>>5333307
But I was talking about the kind person that paid for the groceries. I don't give a shit about the welfare whale.

>> No.5333563

>>5333535

so you got lucky you were able to find a job that supports you at 18. Most people aren't that fucking lucky. They have to live on SOMEONEs tab while they go to school for whatever they're going to school for. That means either parents or the government.

> This is a common story among the people I serve with.
OH... you're a dumb grunt. Shut the fuck up, nobody cares about your military shit. nobody asked you to be a deck swab.

shut up.

>> No.5333568

>>5333448
Nobody said "make your own mozzarella cheese" dumb fuck, he said she could have cut her own cheese sticks from a brick of mozzarella. Sargento string cheese is nothing but low-moisture mozzarella pre-cut into sticks and individually packaged and then priced at a premium. It's like using government handouts to buy bagged "baby carrots" instead of just cutting them yourself and going "woe is me give me monies".

Fuck you, retard.

>> No.5333569

why are you guys such assholes

>> No.5333574
File: 12 KB, 144x144, 1341670339276.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5333568

>brick of mozzarella
>brick

>> No.5333576

>>5333551
Oh man my G. Grandma was a Norwegian immigrant who fed, housed, and clothed six kids off of working on her own farm and her husband's meager income (before he died and left her with a couple to raise on her own).

Zero gov't assistance, zero self-pity, she's 86 and all her children have grown to be as independent as she is and are all well educated (except one who opted to be a farmer himself and another who works and a sugar beet plant)

>> No.5333577

>>5333568

The "context" of a conversation has a lot to do with how you're supposed to comprehend it, you dimwitted retarded 17 year old that's talking out of his ass.

If you make your own string cheese, your kid will cry. You are a fucking piece of shit.

>> No.5333579

>>5333569

Because
>le le innerdet het macheeng XDDDD

>> No.5333583

My father is a vet who makes $250,000+ year. My parents paid for my first two years of school then I paid for the rest by working in the summers and having scholarships.

I'm so glad I didn't have to deal with the people in this thread (and I don't just mean the EBT tards).

>> No.5333584 [DELETED] 

>>5333235
Piss off crack hoar, you need motivations to get on food stamps except to be a fucking hoar in the first place. Don't presume to know what others here know, often better than you and without your "motivations" which I don't give a fuck about.

Get over yourself and vote for obama while you can.

Some of us come from nothing and look at you as fucking leeches. You'll do nothing for anyone except pump out babies. So really, piss the fuck off.

It's a voting match isn't it?

>> No.5333585

>>5333568
exactly, even if her kids needed food right then and there, buy loaf of bread and some PB and make them sandwiches in the car real quick

>> No.5333596

>>5333583

see, this is it. A person who had everything handed to them.

you'll lose it all eventually, because you don't know the value of hard work. You think you're entitled to this, but it will all go away once your folks croak.

>> No.5333601

>>5333576

>Farm

Well there you go.

You can even make a farm anymore in the US without permits out the fucking ass, and you need to belong to the NFU which means you need to use X fertilizer and Y seeds and you have to pay dues, and unless you are a fucking millionaire already you can't fucking do it legally unless your "farm" is literally 3 10ft rows and a chicken.

>> No.5333605

>>5333585
you people are fucking idiots. you're just making shit up now.

this is like disciplining kids with "time outs" instead of taking their shit away.

>> No.5333611

>>5333563
Guess what bitch, unless you're a fat whale you can also join the military and earn a living wage in exchange for every muscle in your body and every iota of sweat off your brow! You might even go to college while you're in, if you'd prefer even less sleep than you'll get already.

Chances are, however, like your family, you're a fat/undisciplined cunt who won't even be able to qualify for something as "dumb" as military service. Nobody asked your parents to have more children than they could afford.

CAPTCHA: cemerica this

>> No.5333613

>>5333577
Why the fuck would a kid cry over that? because his cheese stick wasn't wrapped in plastic?

If money is tight and you can do something cheaper and equivalent I see no problem with that. If someone is on food stamps, ideally they should try and stretch out that money as much as they can, especially if they have a lot of children to feed.

>> No.5333614

>>5333601

fool a farm costs at least a million dollars investment... what the fuck are you people talking about.

>> No.5333615

my dad gave me $20 to go to the movies once. I bought nachos even though they were overpriced. Am I an entitled trust fund babby?

pls respond

>> No.5333623

>>5333614

You must have replied to the wrong person.

>> No.5333628

>>5333613
>Why the fuck would a kid cry over that? because his cheese stick wasn't wrapped in plastic?

because ITS FAKE AND SHITTY. They see the commercials. They see their friends with the right brand.

Just because im poor, doesn't mean my kid has to walk around school crying because evryone has "The Cheez Stix" and he has some random seran wrapped home made shit.

You've never been a kid, and you'll never be an adult.

>> No.5333629

>>5333601
Still more than enough for self-subsistence, and something a lot better than bawling about "muh kids hungy" and getting them Snapple and Altoids to tide them over.

>> No.5333641

>>5333577
I can't understand you, stop lisping so much

>> No.5333644

>>5333596
>you'll lose it all eventually, because you don't know the value of hard work. Y
I think you missed the part where I paid through my last 2 years of undergrad (and later grad school) by working in the summer and working hard to achieve excellent scholarships. Have you ever had a stellar scholarship before?

"I'll lose it all"? Please. I am doing quite well and got engaged over XMas. The difference between you and I (aside for my success) is that I have an excellent inheritance and safety net.

Reality isn't a Hollywood movie. Just because someone had a bit of their schooling paid for by their parents doesn't mean they don't understand the concept of work or ambition.

The whole point of doing well is to instill your children with your values and try to ensure their success. My parents have money and would rather me have a high average and focus on school than spend my time working to make ends meet.

But hey, maybe I should have worked shit jobs for 6 years before going to university lol

>> No.5333654

>>5333629

I live in Oregon, most everyone I know hunts or has at least a tomato plant and herb garden. But forget living off the land in 2014. You can't do it anymore and people who do are miles away from anything approaching civilization like the bayous of Louisiana where no cop will fucking want to go to tell you you can't have a farm.

>> No.5333655 [DELETED] 

>>5333629
So what you commie cunt. Not everyone lives nor has to live for "self-subsistence."
Take your commie cunt place with your little commie uniforms and caps somewhere else.
Are you the ant people for the government?

>> No.5333647

>>5333577
>If you make your own string cheese, your kid will cry.

lolwut.

I grew up upper-middle class with two working parents and while my friends were eating Lunchables my mother was bagging half-assed barely edible ham sandwiches and cans of apple juice. I usually skipped lunch and gave them to one of a few genuinely poor kids I knew who didn't have anything at all and were fucking grateful for it.

If you're fucking broke and living on government handouts and your kids are crying because you cut your own sticks of cheese instead of buying them all pre-packaged at a quarter a piece or bagged lunches instead of Lunchables then maybe it's time you break the cycle and explain to your kids that you're living beyond your means and they're just going to have to grow the fuck up or they'll wind up broke parasites like their parents.

>> No.5333657

>>5333644
>working hard to achieve excellent scholarships.

SO YOU GOT FREE MONEY WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING SHIT ABOUT EBT YOU FUCKING IDIOT

EBT = A FOOD SCHOLARSHIP YOU FUCKING RETARD

i can't do this man. im gonna have a heart attack with teh amount of stupididy in this fucking thread.

i hope you all burn in hell

>> No.5333660

>>5333628
I was too enveloped in playing with my friends than worrying about what fucking cheese they were eating. So were they.

Looks like you were indoctrinated to become status-obsessed at a very young age...good Amerifat...very good...lemme guess, there should be a government program to buy teenagers the latest iPhones with taxpayer cash, because forbid they feel embarrassed about having a "lesser" phone than their twat friends?

>> No.5333662

>>5333628
>Just because im poor, doesn't mean my kid has to walk around school crying because evryone has "The Cheez Stix" and he has some random seran wrapped home made shit.

Uh, yeah it does. Can't have champagne taste with beer money.

>> No.5333666

>>5333628
lol.

You're one of those people who loads up a cart full of shit at the grocers and then stands there at the checkout for half an hour picking out what 3/4ths of the stuff in your cart the employees have to put back (always the produce and bulk goods) for you because you can't do math or think ahead, aren't you?

>> No.5333674

as a former cashier ive witnessed some whackadoodle shit being purchased with ebt. i recall a woman buying 10 blueprint juices (they were 8.99 a bottle) and like 20 rolls of mentos on it. i'm sure other cashiers can testify that some ppl seriously misuse ebt, but there was also families buying bulk essentials and produce with it as well. it varied, but at the end of the day everything >>5333324 is saying is spot-on. there's more egregious wrongdoings going on right now than people abusing ebt.

>> No.5333676

>>5333657
I didn't realize EBT was based on merit.

>> No.5333684

>>5333657

>EBT = A FOOD SCHOLARSHIP

Because there's no difference between earning money for your hard work/achievements (a scholarship) and getting money given to you for no reason other than the fact that you don't have it, right? One is a reward for work, one is not.

>> No.5333685

The great thing about these threads is that they always start with people defending the program/poor people and then they get totally derailed with living-breathing "MUH BABIES SHOULD HAVE BRAND NAME STRING CHEESE AND LUNCHABLES PAID FOR BY THE GUBBERMENT BECAUSE WE'S POOR" stereotypes.

>> No.5333688 [DELETED] 

>>5333660
Those are called obama cheese phones, free to all illegals that come to the usa, they have a method, I think both parties are, that are trying to destroy the USA from within.

Real people from here will prevent that.

There's always some scumbag with an agenda, greeny shit taxes to third world nations never passed our congress, the Aussies were stupid enough to pass that however, maybe it'll get repealed there.

They're sneaky fucks.

>> No.5333694

>>5333676

You realize how much you get is based on your income, your work history, they interview you and you get how much you actually need, exactly like a scholarship! except instead of giving it to black kids they give it to stupid spoiled white kids who won't even get a job once he's done with college and will have to flip burgers anyways.

It's win/win.

>> No.5333697
File: 2.66 MB, 350x262, Santa burns in hell.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5333688

fucking crazy as all shit/10

>> No.5333699

>>5333694
>exactly like a scholarship!
My scholarships have all been based on academic ranking, among other things. Some have been quite prestigious.

>> No.5333701

LOL because the snapple and altoids were necessary. and what the fuck is up with the juicy juice, sargento go-gurt name brand shit? how? how??

a 2.5lb (roughly) tub of yogurt costs me about $2 at wal-mart. don't those boxes of go-gurt come with like... 8 skinny little sugar tubes, or something?

a 64oz fruit juice, generic, can cost as low as $1.50. i wonder if she is even aware of the fact that generic brands exist?

christ christ christ...

>> No.5333704

>>5333694
>s they give it to stupid spoiled white kids who won't even get a job once he's done with college and will have to flip burgers anyways.
BTW, I am 27 and make just over $80k.

>> No.5333705

>>5333699

Well 60% is how white you are, 35% of it is who your parents are, and about 5% is grades.

>> No.5333711

>>5333190
This is why you shouldn't post your diary on the internet.

I was on food stamps for a while. Lost my job and was living in my car/couch surfing. Someone let me stay at their house while they were out of town and I bought:
Flour
Yeast
Carrot
Celery
Onion
Chicken
Slimfast
I made bread and soup. For a week. It wasn't bad at all.

I worked at a small grocery store that took EBT. All anyone ever bought was chips and frozen pizzas and other expensive frozen pre-made foods. >>5333196 is right, in a way. There should be cooking classes to go along with the cards.
On the other hand, what do I care what they spend their (our) money on? Once it's gone, it's gone. You don't get to go ask for more just because you spent it all. For all I care they can eat it all in the first week, and then starve for the rest of the month.

>> No.5333715

>>5333704

Again based on your silver spoon, not hard work. if you earned, scrapped, busted your ass and saved it I could say you're successful, but you're basically a 3D printed rich bitch kid who will never know what work means and drive this country 1000mph into an everlasting hell.

>> No.5333716

people bitching at ebt users buying frozen dinners and prepackaged food fail to realize the lack of time and resources they have.

>> No.5333723

>>5333711
You should care because when enough people get together and say, "we made bad decisions, give us more", it tends to happen.

>> No.5333730

>>5333716
>people bitching at ebt users buying frozen dinners and prepackaged food fail to realize the lack of time and resources they have.

>Crockpot
>$5 from goodwill
>Literally takes less than 10 minutes to prepare a meal in one
>Wahhh, cooking is hard, I have to buy mcdonalds because I don't have time

>> No.5333742

>>5333715
>Again based on your silver spoon
Two years of an undergraduate degree paid by my parents?

>> No.5333746 [DELETED] 

>>5333694
Piss off asshole, I'm white and was never spoiled. So take your presumptions and stuff them right up your fucking mouth where they belong, just like your fucking obama shit.

What's the difference between your obama asshole and your mouth?
NOTHING!

It's idiots like you with an agenda that make things difficult. Just shut up already and let things ride.

The only people that seem to care are obama guilty white people like you.

>> No.5333751

>>5333705
>scholarships
>35% of it is who your parents are
You should really stop basing opinions on cheap Hollywood cliches.

Also, being a visible minority helps with most scholarships.

You seem to have very little understanding about these things. What is your source of employment?

>> No.5333759

>>5333742
you sound like a colossal faggot

>> No.5333763

>>5333751

>hollywood cliches
>Romney, Bush every Kennedy, every "big name" family has put their kids through college for basically nothing, and absolutely no effort. Producing these retarded, ignorant brainless kids.

>> No.5333764

>>5333705
>Well 60% is how white you are,
Being white dramatically hurts your chances getting scholarships

>> No.5333766
File: 23 KB, 475x456, 1390366936128.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5333764
mfw I am white and got a 16K scholarship

>> No.5333769

>>5333763
College in the 50s was way the fuck different than it is now

>> No.5333775

>>5333759
You sound like a real winner if an undergrad degree is your idea of a silver spoon.

How sour are those grapes?

>> No.5333777

>>5333769

Nothings changed, you're the naive one.

>> No.5333779

>>5333775
not who you were replying to.
Hows your shitty undergrad?

>> No.5333782

>>5333766
its not hard to get at least some scholarships no matter who you are, but its really hard not to get a substantial amount if you are a non asian minority. You basically just have to graduate high school and you are set

>> No.5333783

>>5333775

Not even me, try harder to strawman. But he's right, you are a colossal superfaggot.

>> No.5333784

>>5333766
He said dramatically hurts, not makes it impossible.

On all applications I filled out there are "visible minority" boxes. They aren't to keep out the riff raff, they are to fill their quota system. Also a form of affirmative action.

>> No.5333785

>>5333784
Damn America sucks

>> No.5333787
File: 230 KB, 772x559, wall.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5333788

>>5333777
College is very different now. Virtually everyone goes and the colleges are essentially for-profit diploma mills.

>> No.5333790

the real abusers of EBT are all the banks who make millions from transaction fees and government contracts

>> No.5333791

>>5333785
still has by far the best universities in the world, and minorities are usually at such a genetic disadvantage most good schools are still overwhelmingly white and asian

>> No.5333794

>Wasting all that money for College
>A diploma you well never use

Just go to trade school

>> No.5333797

>born to an immigrant family
>mother and father come home from working a full day of manual labor
>even after 8 hours of exhausting labor, mother cooks and cleans while father does household choirs

Americans are just weak people. They come from a culture which spoils them with ideas of easy money and fast cars, only to create adults with weak spirits. There's a good reason spics and asians out work white people, and it's not in the internet bitch fests.

>> No.5333799

>>5333285
she forgot to thank me for paying my taxes that feed her kids everyday

>> No.5333800

>>5333785
I am talking about Canada, but I'm sure it is similar in America.

I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I can see the rationale behind it: if you can help out the more disenfranchised and get them educated you can break the cycle of poverty and ignorance.

On the other hand, when I didn't get a scholarship and thought about that "visible minority" box I was fucking pissed.

>> No.5333803

>>5333794
>A diploma you well never use
I don't know why people say this.

>Just go to trade school
Maybe if I was only concerned with money and a job, but I can't go to trade school to actually do what I want in life.

>> No.5333809

>>5333716

you can leave rice on the stove unattended as it cooks for 20mins

pasta even less time

the time it takes to make a sauce out of paste, canned tomatoes and salt and pepper... is practically negligible. put it all in a saucepan, stir, let simmer for a while. you can even walk away.

anything that you really need to watch over doesn't take very long anyway... like boiling/steaming fresh veggies

also, a huge factor in this is the fact that she is buying all name brand items. there is ABSOLUTELY no excuse for that one.

>> No.5333813

>>5333196
thats not why they are poor, but it is one reason why they live miserably. capitalism is why they are poor. capitalism doesnt allow for people satisfied with labor jobs to earn decent pay.

>> No.5333814

>>5333799
Well wrap your mind around this:

>that lady that paid for her groceries paid for her twice

>> No.5333815

>>5333813
they are poor because they are dumb, they also aren't good with money because they are dumb

>> No.5333819

>put oil in hot pan
>pour in 3 whisked eggs
>add salt
>make simple omelet

5-10 minutes max, even faster if you don't care about the texture.

>> No.5333822

>>5333815
Describe your lifestyle.

>> No.5333823

>>5333742
actually, yep. not to undermine your work ethic -- i'm not naive enough to believe you slacked off and just got handed an $80k position -- but having even your first two years covered is a huge advantage. that's two years you had to focus solely on schoolwork.

>>5333730
>implying there's a nearby goodwill
>implying there'll be a crockpot there and it'll arbitrarily be $5
>implying they have access or the time to access slow cooker recipes
>implying they have proper kitchenware to prepare ingredients (e.g. a knife to dice mirepoix)
>all meals must be from a crockpot
>mcdonalds =/= $1 frozen banquet meals and canned soup

i'm playing devil's advocate, but there's a multitude of factors that play into poor decision-making.

>> No.5333827

>>5333312
i always examin what other people buy while im in line and try to guess how much they spend. I go to the store at early morning tho so they are mostly old people buying candy

>> No.5333828

>>5333813
If real capitalism existed in America they would probably have enough to eat.
It's the socialism imposed by the Government that fucks people over.

>> No.5333831

>>5333813
>capitalism doesnt allow for people satisfied with labor jobs to earn decent pay

No, that's greed. Being unable to live by your own talents: your greed is causing you unhappiness because you want more than your talents can provide.

>> No.5333832

>>5333828

>people still pretend trickle down and free market are real things.

>> No.5333836

>>5333809
>owning a stove
>owning pots and pans
>owning knives to cut & dice fresh produce
>having even 20 minutes to cook rice, simmer pasta sauce

not endorsing this woman for buying altoids on ebt or having 5 kids (wtf) but have some perspective before concocting end-all be-all solutions that really only work for poor single people/couples.

>> No.5333842

>>5333836
Well, she does have wireless internet and enough money to buy materials to homeschool her kids.

>> No.5333843

>>5333399
>shut up and give me money
>shut up and let the drug cartel murder people and make teenagers od
>shut up and let pedophiles abuse children
>shut up and let thugs rule theselves while stealing and murdering from everyone

>> No.5333844

>>5333823
>i'm playing devil's advocate, but there's a multitude of factors that play into poor decision-making.

Which would be laziness.

I can't think of one poor community that doesn't have some type of second-hand store with cheap goods available to them or non-profit organization which can provide access to cheap goods. You don't need an insane knife to dice a mirepoix for a soup, most of the vegetables are cut into chunks anyway.

Can't get a crock pot? Then learn heat control, simply get water boiling then turn the burner down on the lowest setting and done. Learn how to make meals in advanced on your days off or free time. Mcdonalds doesn't teach poor people how to spread out their meals by cooking in large batches.

>> No.5333845

>>5333836

first of all... assuming she lives in an apartment, she has a stove.

you can buy pots and pans at the dollar store.

same with knives and silverware.

like i said, you can leave rice and pasta unattended as you tend to the things you need to do, like take care of your kids, pay bills, whatever.

>> No.5333851

>>5333843

>shut up and let pedophiles abuse children

I agree, we should stop the spread of christianity.

>> No.5333849

>>5333843
You forgot:

>shut up and let leeches waste your tax dollars

>> No.5333857

Poverty isn't a temporary condition it's a state of mind. Poor behaviors are learned from poor parents, there's a reason the cycle continues and it's not because of muh rich people.

>> No.5333860

>>5333849
Do you know how much the EBT program costs taxpayers? I would be curious because it would be interesting to compare it to the bailouts or cost of the Iraq war.

>> No.5333867

>>5333857
>it's not because of muh rich people.
No, but having the bulk of politicians being second+ generation rich people with lots of connections and little empathy makes it difficult to enact effective tools to break the cycle of poverty.

>> No.5333868

>>5333860

Implying the two are mutually exclusive. You do know that you can still be against bailouts/the iraq war AND ebt. Right?

>> No.5333871

>>5333857

Just as dumb rich people pass their dumb rich genes on to rich kids.

Also if you don't look at the recent recession and the CEOs that nearly ruined the economic system of the entire world, who escaped with massive bonuses and retirement packages. Well you're sucking more dick than I previously thought was humanly possible.

>> No.5333874

>>5333860
The Iraq war was good for my investments. So I can't really say I have an unbiased view.

>> No.5333877

>>5333832
They were, before the government got to them.

>> No.5333879

>>5333868
I didn't imply any of that. I am genuinely curious what the cost of the EBT program is.

Of course, more people and more politicians direct blame and anger towards the lower classes than the bailouts. No one cares about the latter anymore, it's old news and only stupid hippies complain about it.

>> No.5333884

>>5333860

Yea about 8-10 trillion dollars. If we cut out the WELFARE we give to corporations which easily amounts to hundreds and hundreds of BILLIONS of dollars and instituted a flat tax and flat income rate we would be able to actually pay down our debts and the standard of living of the country would raise which given the size of our economy effects the entire world.

But no.

The amount of avarice, of pure stupendous greed of the mega upperclass in this world is not able to be even conceived of by normal people.

>> No.5333900

>>5333874
The national debt increase will hurt your children more than your investments will (assuming your investments aren't in the millions).

>> No.5333913

>>5333900
The consensus is pretty much:
>fuck the children, I want a good life and a good retirement

>> No.5333929

>>5333913

The upperclass has no problem pretty much destroying the country, blast mining and clear cutting all of our resources, destroying the atmosphere and oceans all to be buried with as much money as possible.

>> No.5333930

>>5333879

You clearly did. You even more clearly get your inspiration from watching the daily show ejaculate its mindless baiting all over your face.

You do know the bailouts were a good thing, they kept our whole entire way of life stable. The behavior that resulted in the bailouts is far different. But all of this is a non-sequitur for the simple fact that the poor people of today are not poor in the true sense that they lack basic resources but poor in the sense that they are overwhelmingly stupid.

>> No.5333956

>>5333930

The bailout was necessary to avoid a depression, the bailout was the direct result of the corporate controlled economy becoming unchecked and unregulated. After the bailout they took that money, pocketed it and then many sued the government for forcing them to pay back the money.

That's our system, that isn't an economy.

What we have as a country is pure fucking evil incarnate.

>> No.5333963

>>5333930
>You clearly did. You even more clearly get your inspiration from watching the daily show ejaculate its mindless baiting all over your face.
I know you want to believe I am liberal because it will make it easier for you to pigeon hole me, but alas I am not.

>You do know the bailouts were a good thing, they kept our whole entire way of life stable.
It simply pushed the problem back for the next generation to deal with (if that). it did not solve anything. It was a short-term fix and a reward for the people that were destroying the system.

But try to justify how trillions in bailout funds, appropriated from the taxpayer, is the hallmark of a capitalist society.

>> No.5333970

>>5333867
Welfare was supposed to be one of those "tools". So much for that.

>> No.5333974

>>5333970
It was never well thought out though.

>> No.5333985

>>5333929
To say this and not be an utter hypocrite would mean you have never consumed any Apple products, Microsoft software, Starbucks coffee, utilized Google in any way...

THEY are the "upper class", and are in the same ranks as whoever it is liberals paint as the epitome of evil these days (Monsanto is the trendiest I think)

>> No.5333990

I dont give A flying fuck whether they buy healthy food or not. If it was up to me there wouldn't be any food subsidy programs.

>> No.5333996

>>5333974
It was, and was originally for the widows of men killed overseas during wartime and left jobless. Like all programs, however, it remained and is now taken advantage of not by "teh rich" but every individual trying to buy beer on EBT, every corporation trying to get more and more people on government assistance to fulfill their quotas and line their own pockets by convincing people of their helplessness and lack of ability. Is that not true greed?

>> No.5333998

>>5333985

I have never had starbucks or owned an ipod or iphone in my entire life actually. And I've been gradually cutting google out of my life in recent months as it's come out that they basically built the search engine the NSA's database uses.

You my friend are a corporate idollar.

>> No.5333999

Honestly, I'd be pissed. What kind of a flippin choice is that? And what friggin store was that at? <Rip off

>rip off

Lol how do u use those

>> No.5334005

>>5333974
A certain corporation in MN, USA was busted a few years ago for providing citizens of Somalia with EBT cards to claim a larger allotment of Big Gov money to help the program.

>> No.5334008

>>5333985
A corporation isn't part of a social class. People are.

>> No.5334014

>>5333990
>My opinion is right because my opinion is right.

>> No.5334036

>>5333628
Guess what? If you are FUCKING POOR, and cannot afford name brand cheez stix but your kid still wants his goddamn cheese, what is the obvious option? THE CHEAPER ONE.

I cannot believe I have to say this. You reek of entitlement.

>> No.5334038

>>5333998
Ultimately, you are always utilizing products and consuming goods built and created using the methods you purport to hate unless you are providing for yourself, by yourself. You have always had a hand in destroying natural resources, and no amount of railing against the system will undo the damage you have already taken advantage of.

Moot is incredibly upperclass himself, and you are definitely using his website, which is a large engine for data mining anyway. How do you feel that you contributed to his personal success without ever once seeing a dime of his profit yourself? How do you feel that he sat back and you, with all your posting and effort, made every dollar for him? You're probably okay with it, since it's a service you enjoy. Kind of like Facebook, YouTube, and search engines.

Cackling, grey-haired white men aren't the only people out there who make a lot of money.

>> No.5334046

>>5334036
>Guess what? If you are FUCKING POOR, and cannot afford name brand cheez stix but your kid still wants his goddamn cheese, what is the obvious option?

Telling the kid he's not getting his cheez stix and making him fucking cope with it instead of giving a five year old executive power over my already fragile finances?

Remember that?

Remember "no"?

>> No.5334048

>>5334008
You've responded to the wrong post, Anon. Try again.

>> No.5334050

>>5334038

moot makes money off canv.as not 4chan, I thought even dumb babby newfags knew this.

>> No.5334059

>>5334050
When was it mentioned in the post that Moot makes money off of 4chan? Don't you know that "success" means more than income, i thought even dumb babby nigfags knew this.

>> No.5334061

>>5334046
Read my post again. I was saying to give the child the home made mozzarella block cheese sticks instead of the name brand. Or hell, not at all, not like he needs that shit.

>> No.5334073

>>5334059
"More than income" doesn't pay the bills and buy clothes, but I wouldn't expect smelly hippies to know that.

>> No.5334082

>>5333777
When was the last time you went to college?
Either you went to college in the 70's/80's and you're totally clueless about what college is like now, or you went to college in the last 10 years and can't possibly fathom how different it could have been 20-30 years before.

>> No.5334115

>>5333831
Capitalism incentivizes greed. They're parallel concepts.

>> No.5334162

>>5334073
Success isn't measured purely by wealth, if you measure it by wealth alone then you have a problem.

>> No.5334176

>>5334162
How is moot successful then? because he is a minor celebrity over a website (the concept of which was not originally his) that he started?

>> No.5334180

>>5334162
>Success isn't measured purely by wealth, if you measure it by wealth alone then you have a problem.

Our country has a problem.

>> No.5334210
File: 48 KB, 320x286, 1366229887354.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>used to work at cvs about 5 mins walk from poor area of town
>people on ebt come in and buy all sorts of junk food
>it's cvs, but still we have bread, eggs, milk, some cooking ingredients
>nearly daily same group of people with ebt come in and purchase junk foods and sodas
>most buy shit and don't care until they're low on ebt funds

>one black lady in particular always bought shit
>picture obese, pajama wearing, sassy black woman in a hair net
>would come in every day and buy 1-2 liter coke, some kind of pastry, and chocolate or twizzler
>one day the same lady comes in with babby over her shoulder
>wat
>goes for junk food and drinks, then heads towards baby thing
>comes to checkout finally
>tells me her ebt is almost out
>she has to decide between her 2L of coke vs babby stuff
>mfw she chooses the coke

>> No.5334223

>>5334176
Sure, that is one sign of success, he is famous and he is loved by many.

>> No.5334267
File: 100 KB, 894x894, las vegas.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5333797
>household choirs
>mfw my dad does household choirs

>> No.5334282

>people thinking they understand economics

If you aren't old enough to have lost money during the financial crash, then you can't say shit.

>> No.5334285

>>5334223

he has created something great. be it for better or worse, it is great.

>> No.5334319

>>5333844
>Which would be laziness.
That's what I was going to say.
That's also why I said that EBT cards should come with mandatory cooking classes. I'm sure that not everyone would leave the class and change the way they eat, but I'd bet that at least some would.
Do they teach home economics in high school anymore? I'm old and don't know.

>> No.5334320

>>5334267
Hey, man, I know, I know... you're preaching to the chores.

>> No.5334336

>>5334319
>home economics in high school anymore?
Yeah but it's mostly frumpy girls and athletic guys who want to fill in a class and get some extra food.

>> No.5334338

>>5334162
MONEY IS THE KEY TO END ALL YOUR WOES
YOUR UPS, YOUR DOWNS, YOUR HIGHS AND YOUR LOWS
TELL ME WHEN'S THE LAST TIME THAT LOVE BOUGHT YOU CLOTHES?

IT'S LIKE THAT, AND THAT'S THE WAY IT IS
HOOH!

It's easier to cry in the back of a Mercedes than it is to cry on a bicycle. Maybe after you get out of high school and pay your own bills for a while you'll get it.

>> No.5334346

Didn't we have this discussion before? Poorer people in this country are fatter than the middle class. What does that tell you? Middle class makes the right choices in what to eat so they have better weights. Lower class are uneducated so they eat high fat foods and walk less meaning higher chance of being fat

>> No.5334347

>>5334346
>being this reductive

>> No.5334348

>>5334338
Absolutes are dangerous anon. Also, +1 for Run DMC

>> No.5334353

rofl @ yall crackas b up in dis thread tryin to take away ma obamabuks. first of all ok fuk u rich white cracka bitches tryin to keep opressin da black man liek uve ben doin for da past hundreds of years. yous allways tryin to take away r rights fukin racists. yall owe us money for slavery nd shit so shut da fuk up. i got 3 diffrnt obama cards mufucka and u cant do a damn thing bout it. also get a fuckin check in da mail i get cash with. ma baby momma gets the same shit but i aint payin no child support bullshit they b after me for that lol. u fuckin racists aint nevr EVA gonna take away r food cards cuz it u do theres guna b riots and yall crackas gon git fucked up by us. so dont even fuckin try. i dont get why da fuk u cant buy pack of cigs or a 40 with yo card. i mean nigga pls dis shit sposed to be helpin us yo. fuuukk. damn i wish i could buy sum weed wif ma cards yo that shit would be dope lmao now wut im sayin? shiiittt man. anyway yo, im out. god bless obama, and fuk all yall racist bitches up in this thread.

>> No.5334360
File: 127 KB, 245x242, 1395721596971[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>all these food wizards who eat for a month on $10

I make chili for like $30 and it only lasts five days. What the fuck do you people do to get so much out of it?

>> No.5334372

>>5334360
Buy 2.99 hamburger and use dried beans and your own spice mix. I don't see how you're spending $30 on chili for yourself. This is a poor person's dish.

>> No.5334382

>>5334372
>2 cans tomato paste: $3
>2 cans kidney beans: $1.50
>2 flavor packages: $3
>2 jalapenos: 50c
>1 cubana pepper: 65c
>4 pounds of ground beef: $23

That's how

>> No.5334401

>>5334382

you're buying canned beans and canned tomatoes, and "2 flavor pacakges" and spending $6/lb for beef???

wtf. ground beef is like 2.99... and I got ground sirloin the other day for 3.99.

>> No.5334403

>>5334382

>$5.75 a pound for ground beef

What kind of shithole do you live in

>> No.5334404

>>5334382
you can make it cheaper if you use more beans and less beef. also, buy some cheaper beef you tool.

>> No.5334409

>>5333676
The scholarships were granted by the merits you achieved during your first two years. Who paid for those two years again? I guarantee you if your parents didn't fork the tuition and gave you a stressless and easy ride during those two years to study you wouldn't get those merits and scholarships. No matter how you spin it, your success in life was due to the path that your parents paved for you. That's not to say your efforts and hard work didnt help but to deny the fact that your parents' contributions were played a major role to your success is retarded.

>> No.5334416

>>5334346
>high fat foods
You had me up to there.
Fat doesn't make you fat.
Eaten fats burn quickly, carbs slowly (especially if your body is trying to burn the fats). Carbs will store as fat.

>> No.5334418
File: 38 KB, 420x300, foodsaver.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5333190
>Your opinions on the story

I dont care what other people eat

There are some simple dishes like red beans and rice, stews, savory pies, pastas ect. that you can make for that price and tons of things you can do with eggs. Shopping at a restaurant supply store is a good way to get a deal on things in bulk.

We don't have any kind of a set budget in our household its more of the time it takes to make meals from scratch every night( I work a lot).

We have a good food saver so we buy in bulk and make batches of different foods and freeze them.

I makes the long work weeks not to stressful and it saves a lot on the grocery bill

>> No.5334420

>>5333235
To me, it's not even the fact that she used food stamps, or that she bought unnecessary shit with them, but she's proud of it. She's PROUD that she relies on the government for foodstamps. That's just disgusting.

>> No.5334428

>>5334416
mcdonalds cheeseburgers make you fat.
poor people eat mcdonalds.
people with money eat a salmon. they dont get fat.

>> No.5334459

>>5333803
Because most people I knew in highschool are there for theatre, music, art, or women's studies.

A lot of people get useless degrees because they're easy to get.

Then there's the few of us who go into STEM fields- I'm majoring in mechanical engineering, working on transferring to an aerospace program.

Here's the thing about college:

When you walk through that metaphorical door, you have many roads you can take. From there, you can either go down the "fuck around for four years and get nothing to show for it" route, or you can take the "Suffer some now, but have a good fucking life later on" route.

The people whom think that "college is a waste of money" either went to expensive-as-fuck art schools, liberal arts majors, or fucking flunked out of their intended field and took something else.

Also I was fully intending to go to trade school to become a machinist before you go "hurrhurr entitled kid hurr"

>> No.5334463

>>5334459
lol. every STEM major i ever talk to is a deluded and stuck up pompous ass just like you.
guess what.
STEM majors get out of school and make pennies their whole life.
business majors get out of school and own companies.
stay pleb.

>> No.5334464

>>5334428
OMG it's in the sugary buns and the french fries!
It's not because McD's uses extra fatty beef!
And the cheese has sugar in it.
Think about carbs.
Think about it.

>> No.5334472

>>5334464
>FAT
>does not make you
>FAT
ummmmm....
that's like saying water doesn't hydrate you

>> No.5334474

>>5334472
This is the mentality that grade schools teach. I remember, and it's hard to shake, but they were wrong. Fat does not make you fat. Look into it. I was lied to too.

>> No.5334475

>>5334319
>Do they teach home economics in high school anymore? I'm old and don't know.
The Highschool I came from, home economics does not exist. This was 9 years ago.

>> No.5334482

>>5334474
well guess what, you're wrong.
fat makes you fat
carbs makes you fat
everything makes you fat if you eat more of it than you burn
but yes, fat does make you fat if you eat it and dont burn it.

>>5334475
my middle school had home ec. don't recall high school having it. graduated HS '06.

>> No.5334483

>>5334472
>"water hydrates me!"
>drowns himself when sick or dehydrated because he didnt take in any salts or electrolytes

>> No.5334485

>>5334482
My middle school doesn't have that, either. I guess this what happen when you attended in a inner city school. I seen them in TV and I would love to attend in when I was in high school, but there was none. There was also no wood shop or art.

>> No.5334491

>>5334489
Budget cuts.

>> No.5334489

>>5334483
you're dumb as shit.
just want you to know this.

also
>getting dehydrated ever
wow, what the fuck are you doing with your life

>>5334485
wow, no art?

>> No.5334495

>>5334482
Really?
Nice umbrella.

I'm also the home ec question guy, and I remember that it was a bullshit class that no one took seriously. I really feel that it should be mandatory for EBT card recipients. Class of '89.

>> No.5334496

>hurr muh taxes go to poor people

First off, shut the fuck up if you dont know most of your taxes go to military spending and maybe a dollar or a few AT MOST go towards these systems.

Though, yeah she does need to readjust her spending.

>> No.5334497

This is disgusting. I get that I don't know her situation, but I know you're a stupid fucking cunt if you are shitting out 5 kids with no way to support yourself or your family. When will stupidass parents learn that if they can't support their child on their own, to not have one? It's not some destiny every couple is supposed to have, god damn. And how about she find actual work instead of using a shitty self-entitled blog to post about her woes.

If you can afford internet, keep up with a blog, and have 5 fucking kids, you probably don't need to be on EBT. This is coming from someone that had nothing and had to be on EBT, feeling like the biggest pile of human garbage ever. EBT is meant for people who are struggling and need help on groceries, not dumb cunts that can't use a condom. This is why people who legitimately need EBT are painted in such a bad light.

>> No.5334512

>>5334497
how did you pull yourself out of the slump? my mom and i are on EBT and I don't know what to do.

>> No.5334516

>>5334512
Stop buying goddamned expensive premade food. Shit like soda and coffee are luxuries too. Hell, even cereal is an overpriced abomination.

Buy fresh produce and grains from an independent market, not a chain or franchise grocer that charges more than double what everyone else does (it all comes from the same distributors btw).

Smoking and drinking are also massive money drains, as is fast food. Make all your own shit.

Cable is ridiculously expensive. If you have trouble affording to live but have 100+ channels you really need to change everything about how you live. And I hope you don't have a smartphone with a data-plan. Some internet is essential because you need to have an email address and ability to search digitally for jobs. But you do not need a large entertainment package for that.

>> No.5334519

>>5334512
See >>5333711
Eat like poor people would eat if your government collapsed and there was food rationing.
Also, canvas your resume/job applications to every restaurant within walking distance. Keep returning to those places every other day just to check in and say hi. Make yourself known. Take the first one that you are offered, and keep looking for another.

>> No.5334520

>>5334516
Jesus, I thought all that shit went without saying.
Library for internet. Worksource for internet. Answering service for phone calls and borrow someone's landline to check messages.

>> No.5334522

>>5334512
I'm going to be 100% honest with you, I didn't actually "pull myself out of the slump." I used to couch surf and play WoW on my friend's spare pc. I used to befriend lonely males on it and convince them to fly me to them and I'd have sex with them, etc, in exchange for money and a place to temporarily stay. I stopped because it was horrible and demeaning. Later on I met someone that I became very good friends with (never met irl). We saved up for years and bought a one way plane ticket to where they lived, they saved up and got an apartment close to their work, and that's currently where I still am. I got extremely lucky with my situation, so please don't take offense or take it to heart. I am just lucky they weren't a psycho serial killer, but honestly with how badly I was struggling, I didn't even care.

>> No.5334523

>>5334520
>Worksource for internet.
Your local systems administrator here to remind to be careful about using company resources for personal business. If HR needs a reason, any reason to justify a termination all I have to do is bring up your email and web history.

Are they going to terminate you for surfing the web? Probably not.
Can they use it for a case of rightful termination?
They sure can!
Keep your nose clean folks.

>> No.5334524

>>5333327
I buy basics but every now and then I just fucking want a bag of chips without having to go through a 2 hour process when I'm already exhausted just to make it from "the basics" I already bought.

"So snack on something else!" I do, if I do snack, which is rarely. But the program allows it, I scour ads & coupon inserts reguglarly to get the best value of the stipend I receive, but...just fucking every now and then I want a god damn bag of chips and I'm tired of getting the stinkeye from the cashier when I do.

>> No.5334526
File: 107 KB, 1095x572, Capture1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5334523
Guess I was being a bit too local with that term.
I meant "the place where you file for unemployment and then they make you look for a job on their computers."

>> No.5334528

>>5334526
Ah my mistake. Just trying to keep anons from getting fucked by HR.

>> No.5334529

Related to this thread, does anyone know a good place to get cheap recipes. I wanna start making more filling and diverse meals but I'm basically limited to baking bread and boiling eggs at the moment.

>> No.5334530

>>5334522
So, you used guys for money, but then you found a guy that you could use for money?!
Wow, and I mean WoW.
That's pretty funny.

>> No.5334534

>>5334528
Nah, you're good! Everyone else that is posting around us is exceptionally badddddd! Holy shit! Have you read this stuff?

>> No.5334538

>>5334522
Shit nigga, I hope you at least contribute to the household if you don't have a job

>> No.5334541

>>5334459
the few of us? why dont you try lecturing everybody about college after you actually finish it. judging by your undeserved sense of bravado youre probs some sophomore at a mid tier uni. probs paid for by your parents. and unless your job REQUIRES a degree, college is a complete waste of money. not all comm or phil degrees are useless. youre way to young to be telling people what to do with their life.
im about to blow your mind... maybe some people... dont want to work in a stem field
who would have thought

>> No.5334549

>>5334541
college student much?

>> No.5334554

>being SO poor you have to express yourself about what other people buys.

that's just sad, OP.

>> No.5334558

>>5334534
No, not reading all this shit.

Let me impart words of "wisdom"

Money isn't everything but it's like in the top 3 important things
You are responsible for your own happiness, no one else is
It is insane to completely depend on the government for your welfare

>> No.5334565

>>5334530
I work full time so not exactly. But originally, yes.

>>5334538
I work full time and do all of the cleaning/cooking. I enjoy it.

>>5334512
You need to make food last. You need to make sure it can go a long way. You have to make time to make food. I can give you some basic meals to make that are cheap as hell, even by my current country's standards. Here's some shit I can give you that I learned over the years.

-Frozen vegetables and fruits are your friend. Not only do they not rot, but you can take them out as you want them and they're always in season. They don't taste as good as fresh, but if you're not eating enough and letting produce rot, you are losing money.

-buy meat in bulk on sale. Buy meat meant for slow cooking. buy shitty cuts of meat. Ask your local butcher or even grocery store butcher for bones and other parts and make stock. ck can provide you with plenty of wonderful stock recipes.

-asian, mexican, and indian markets are your friend. A shitty little asian market opened up in my old hometown and I raided that place so much. Get a big bag of rice of your choice (I prefer short grain and jasmine), a bigass sack of beans, spices, noodles if you want, and you can also hit up their butchers. I know some people shy away from asian meats, but my butchers were mexican immigrants that spoke very little english but were fantastic. I would buy tons of beef short rib and pork belly for hardly anything. You can stock up on a lot of essentials in these places. My asian store expanded and started selling toiletries, paper, and a bunch of other stuff as well.

-stop eating fast food and garbage completely. Just because you are poor doesn't mean you have to eat poor. I ate multiple curries, roasts, and lovely meals every week because I made them in huge bulks and would portion and freeze them. I will warn you, you will get a little tired of eating the same thing, but i'd rather be full than starve.

>> No.5334577

>>5334496
wrong. defense is only 20% of the national budget. welfare and other entitlements are over 50%.

>> No.5334580

>>5334565
>-Frozen vegetables and fruits are your friend.
Hi, you're a ho bag, but everything you said is right except for this one.
Fresh vegetables and fruits are much cheaper. WHY WOULD YOU ALLOW THEM TO ROT?!
If you can't figure that one out, then don't eat vegetables.
I forgot if I mentioned that you are a whore, but if not then don't forget that you are. A whore.
Everything else you said was pretty spot on, though.

>> No.5334584
File: 39 KB, 648x504, 2013piechartonbudget.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5334577
>let's blatantly lie about statistics that are easy to look up
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_United_States_federal_budget

>> No.5334586

>>5334580
in a lot of parts of many countries, there are times when vegetables aren't available fresh for a good portion of the year.

I can get 1lb of frozen spinach for less than $1 year round but I can only get it 'fresh' for less than that about 2 months out of 12.

>> No.5334588

>>5334558
Also

>"Only those closest to us know why we are on SNAP. They know my husband is a hard worker who was laid off after 17 years in a management position with his former company. They know we were moved from our home to a new state only to be left homeless since the house we had came with the job he lost. Only those closest to us know my husband works part time while looking tirelessly for more; that he has submitted more applications than he has received interviews for. Too many jobs are only offering part time work anymore. It is not easy for a 40-something year old to find a job that will support his family of 5 kids."

Her husband is unemployable. I'm not saying that to be mean but stating the truth. I wish it wasn't so but it's going to be rough finding something good for them.

>> No.5334592

>>5334584
Can't really argue with a pie chart!
Fucking pwnd!
Ah shit... it's from Wikipedia, too!
Guess who got schooled?! >>5334577
Wow, how are you going to sleep tonight?

>> No.5334597

>>5334584
Or you can just go to defense.gov and look at the 2015 DoD budget proposal. The end.

http://www.defense.gov/Releases/Release.aspx?ReleaseID=16567

>> No.5334598

>>5334586
I just re-read your posts with a Russian/Eastern European accent and I feel bad.
Is that racist?
Anyhow, then I guess frozen is cheaper where you are maybe.

>> No.5334601

>>5334580
While true, I've personally found many times that my fruits and vegetables rot because I don't eat very much. This obviously doesn't pertain to everyone, but I prefer frozen as I don't have to worry about them going to waste.

>> No.5334602 [DELETED] 

>>5334597
What's your point? We do have a DoD and it requires a budget so do all parts of the government. If you were trying to make some point by insinuiation you failed.

Try a more direct approach next time.

>> No.5334606

>>5334602
You can get exact numbers there, instead of relying on a pie chart from wikipedia that mouth breathers will decry.

>> No.5334610

>>5334584
>proposed discretionary

Theres the kicker mate

Since moot insists all of my shit is spam lets try imgur

http://imgur.com/zvF7YuC,qVkfh9U

The military is bloated but it isnt 50%

>> No.5334615

>all the fucking SRS shills in this thread
Please go.

Being poor doesn't justify bad decisions, if it's possible for some people to escape the poverty trap, it's possible for anyone.

>> No.5334620

>>5334610
Still won't accept the link but heres the crux of it

Mandatory spending, congress can't change the amount allotted. They can change the eligibility rules, but if you qualify you're getting dosh. Discretionary spending is a set amount, essentially you can have xxx dollars this year.

>> No.5334621

>>5334601
>While true, I've personally found many times that my fruits and vegetables rot because I don't eat very much. This obviously doesn't pertain to everyone, but I prefer frozen as I don't have to worry about them going to waste.
Your American accent is showing.
You should go to waste.
You are worthless.

>> No.5334628 [DELETED] 

>>5333513
What exactly does it mean to do hard work to you, it's always fun to me when punks think that they do hard work, but really are responsible for jack fucking shit.

So please since you brought it up, what's hard work to you?

>> No.5334631

>>5334615

no, you go, and come back when you learn what the word "shill" actually means and gain enough self-control to stop slinging it around like the new "literally".

>> No.5334634

>>5334631
Nice counter argument.

>> No.5334638

>>5334634

not a counter-argument, but all of you manchildren-who-cried-shill are polluting the living hell out of this board.

>> No.5334646 [DELETED] 

>>5334620
Are you really that retarted, Congress can change anything if the will is there, the point is that things change slowly.

You'd be suprised at what our Congress is capable of, the real problem is that they're so up obama's ass that they don't assert themselves. The president is just the executive of laws and has powers given by the Consitution, that's it.

This is about Congress and those who elect those in the House and Senate.

>> No.5334654
File: 42 KB, 620x528, 1396692610470.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5334646
I don't really care about the debate about what the state can and can't do. I'm just pointing out he only posted discretionary spending, which is primarily used for military spending.

Mandatory spending on the inverse is for entitlements, which he did not post. Both of them make the entire picture.

>> No.5334660

>>5334654
See:
>>5334592
Post more pie charts, I'm hungry.

>> No.5334661

>>5334660
I demand more pie!

>> No.5334663

>>5334654
Can you ask your professor for more pie?
Kid?

>> No.5334666
File: 59 KB, 939x767, &#039;Blatant Lying&#039;.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5334663
Are you going somewhere with this?

Just pointing out >>5334584 didnt even read the very link he posted

>> No.5334672

>>5334666
Thank you for more professor pie.
Do you have any more college level life learnings? Graphs and charts are really funny.

>> No.5334734

>Grew up poor as shit in one of the worst neighborhoods in America
>Desperate to get the fuck out of there at any cost but effectively on my own by mid-teens, obviously penniless
>Graduated in top 5 while cleaning houses and roach motels in exchange for boarding
>Merit scholarship to prominent research university, but still need to pay ~30% + living expenses + cost of moving a few hundred miles -- refuse to take government handouts because nobody owes me one red cent
>Start working as hooker in city's luxury hotels, don't give a fuck because moral quibbles aren't a sound investment
>Make enough to cover the move + what I owe for first semester, then work for agency in new city throughout undergrad saving more money than I know what to do with
>Now almost finished with grad school, no longer escorting, no diseases, no regrets
>Laughing at stupid fucks who'd rather live in poverty, whining about EBT, because they're too pathetic to make uncomfortable lifestyle changes like not buying their kids gogurt

>> No.5334737

>>5334734
Pic pls

Also what race are you

>> No.5334738

>>5334734
mhmmm
not amusing

>> No.5334740

>>5334734
Good job. How many dicks have been in ur butt?

>> No.5334764

>>5333190
It's odd people are picking on this lady when there are far worse abuses of the EBT system.

At least she was buying food (and relatively healthy food at that) with it, instead of liquor and cigarettes.

Or withdrawing cash and using it to gamble.

Why not go after people who are actually abusing the system.

>> No.5334765

>>5334764
The only thing healthy on that list was banana. If I gave a hungry person money and they bought altoids with it I'd be upset.

>> No.5334770

>>5334737
Asian. Obviously I didn't have the same upbringing as most of my model minority brethren.

>>5334740
DOHOHOHO CLEVER. I didn't offer anal. I also didn't siphon off your tax dollars.

>> No.5334771

>>5334765
There's a hell of a lot worse things she could be buying than juice, yogurt, and cheese though.

>> No.5334782

>>5334416
Nigger please educate yourself on metabolic rates. Everything you said I'd wrong and smacks of Dr oz tier nutrition.

>> No.5334811

>>5334771
Go-gurt is pretty much candy, juice contains just as much shitty sugar as soda, and the cheese...well it's not terrible. At least they're getting some calcium an vitamin D.

>> No.5334813

>>5334770
Well then what was the grossest/creepiest thing you ever did for a customer?

>> No.5334826

>>5333371
>This whole economic system is entirely designed to keep people on government assistance because they can't escape it.

the democrats created an entire social class that can only vote democrat

>> No.5334831

>>5333399
>If you've never been a Nazi and killed Jews, DONT TALK SHIT ABOUT IT

>> No.5334839

>>5333399
I guess I can't talk shit on rapists now either. Your logic is great.

>> No.5334858

>>5333190
>$17.38
god, I spend that much on food each day

>> No.5334885

>>5334588
What did they do with all the money from selling there original home?

>> No.5334888

>>5334885
They were probably underwater on the equity.

>> No.5334892

>>5334631
I thought shill was the new "objectively" which was the new literally.

>> No.5334896

>>5334646
How uneducated in current politics can you be to thing congress is listening to obama in any way? His touch is like kryptonite to any bill and has been for his whole run.

>> No.5334931

>>5333813

Keep telling yourself that, if that makes you feel better about you not being able to do basic thinking.

>> No.5334937

>>5333430
Fuck, I wish this was more common. I'd gladly legitimize the stereotype of giving a crackhead cash for their EBT if I could get double the return at a farmer's market. Produce is most of what I buy anyway.

>> No.5335111

(mostly) Unrelated to the topic but the fact that no matter what infographic Someone uses, the military spending is always at least 3X the veterans benefits pisses me off. For fucks sake, that is some bullshit. Not even that we're spending too much on military (we are, but we're wasting too much money on just about everything) but that we spend all that money and then hardly take care of them afterwards. If we're going to take care of anyone first we should be taking care of the people that help our country. My family was briefly on food stamps when my dad lost his job before anyone yells about muh entitlement. We got out of needing them because he got a new job that was shitty and I got a job at 14 to help as well.

>> No.5335143

>>5333312
I worked in a grocery store for a few years and about 90% of EBT buyers were buying pizza and soda and spending their cash on cigarettes and lottery tickets, and 100% of them were human garbage.
I would be ecstatic if they shut it all down tomorrow.

>> No.5336519

Nobody posted how they'd feed a family of 7 for less than $20

>> No.5336540

I obviously don't agree with bad purchases, but its apparent that fruits and vegetables ARE more expensive than most processed foods when compared to price-calorie-serving ratio. You really can't buy much fruit and vegetables for that amount of money. I know you guys go on every day about beans and rice, but how fucking long can you stand eating beans and rice? Are you on to some secret about buying things that most aren't?

>> No.5336550

>>5336540
You have to be okay with eating the same meals many days in a row if youre poor and/or need to manage. That means buying and cooking in bulk.

>> No.5336555

>>5333312
There are some people I can look at and go, "They're going to pay with EBT." and be right 90% of the time.

>> No.5336599

>>5334734
Not that you need the encouragement I can see from your post that you're doing well for yourself but just wanted to let you know you weren't alone in making those kind of choices and glad you came out fine.

>> No.5336616

Didn't even bother to read the whole thread (this shit makes me rage hard) but I can assure you this is not just an American (or first world country) issue.

I like in fucking Brazil where you can literally get vegetables and fruit for free if you have the lowest possible mental capacity, and still, we constantly see it here on the news how people who benefit from government help waste their money on junk food and unrelated activities.

This makes me lose my shit whenever I go to a street sale (we have loads of weekly "street marts" with all sorts of fresh produce) and I see whole families wasting their welfare money on fried goods and sweets.
Seriously, with 20 reais (10 dollars) you could buy more fresh food than you could possibly carry home if you know where to look.

>> No.5336629

>>5336616
Yeah well our country isn't a fucking jungle so we don't have room to grow all of that. Most of our available room for crops goes to corn for obvious reasons.

>> No.5336644

>>5333190
2lb bag of lentils $0.80
Large thing of chicken stock $2.00
2 Tomatoes ~$1.00
1 onion ~$0.70
Celery $1.30
Carrots ~$2.00

Half the celery, and carrots, onion, and lentils and stock for lentil soup.

Bag of beans - about $2.00
Bag of rice maybe about $4.00 if not a 25 lb bag for $20 lbs.
Some bacon ends and pieces 5lbs for $4.00.
Onion

That is around $17.00 I think. if it goes over, ring up the produce as bananas.

>> No.5336682

>>5333494

exactly.

fuck anyone who eats lunchables. I ate 2 peanut butter (no jelly) white bread sandwiches and a piece of fruit for lunch every single day of school.

>> No.5336698

>>5336682
and look, you grew up to be a tripfag.
protip: eat lunchables, stay sane, stay anonymous.
this message brought to you by obama.

>> No.5336714

>>5333628

You fuckhead.

>> No.5336733

>>5334734
only 5 people fit in the top 5 asshole

>> No.5336792

>>5336733
lol what

>> No.5336831

>>5334734
>don't give a fuck because moral quibbles aren't a sound investment
neither is borrowing against your immortal soul

>> No.5336880

>go-gurt

this shit looked like the biggest ripoff. my aunt bought some for my nephew and it looked like 4 ounces of yogurt total in a package of them.

>> No.5336927

We really need to just let these kids starve.

Christ. If you can't keep your legs shut you shouldn't be getting free money to blow on shit.

>> No.5336965
File: 505 KB, 500x233, awkwardly-disapproving-NPH.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I spent $12 at the grocery tonight. On 4 lb apples, 2 lb chicken breast, 5 lb baking potatoes, and some peanuts and pretzels for snacking.

>> No.5336970

>>5336792
>graduate in top 5
>everyone can do what I did

5 people in your community can do what you did

>> No.5336977

>>5333312
I used to work at a grocery store. Although I sometimes saw people with tons of shitty expensive processed food in their carts, I also saw lots of people who'd made healthy choices. Not a lot of in-betweeners, oddly. It was either all healthy or fresh items, or a mountain of junk.

>> No.5336986

>>5333569
I'm not sure.
Perhaps they're taking out their frustrations on each other?

>> No.5336991

>>5336927

sure sure, because it's the woman's sole responsibility to "keep her legs shut"... not at all the man who can't keep his dick in his pants, right?

better yet, lack of contraception couldn't possibly be the issue here. the problem is the woman who decided to engage in sexual activity!

but wait there's more! no way in hell could she have... you know... WANTED this lifestyle. no way in hell could she have possibly wanted five children--because you and i may not see the appeal in such a lifestyle, surely this was all a deliberate attempt to SCREW UP HER OWN LIFE! even more plausible... she was FORCED against her will to give birth to and raise five children. but it's still her fault because she opened her legs. ah, logic.

go parrot tired old blames on /b/, moron.

>> No.5336993

> TFW I ate better when I was on EBT than I do now that I pay for it myself

It was sort of a feeling that I had to spend that money in a good way, and that I could afford things so I didn't have to stand there looking at things and calculating cost per ounce versus ingredients vs quality, etc. I was only personally on it for 3-4 months after my mom unexpectedly died, but we had been on it before when I was a kid.

I just want to thank the government. I go to college completely on grants, I don't pay a dime for college because I have no parents and I'm poor.

I feel bad for people with poor, living parents because they get little to no help. Sad to say, I wouldn't have been able to go to a 4 year college if my mom hadn't passed away.

But the world is all sorts of fucked up, when you go go outside you see kids raised by bad parents who will probably grow up to continue the cycle, and there's a lot of stuff going on in the world you can't do anything about. I think the people most afraid of not having control do their best to try and control things, but there's no use. You know, whether I'm really the only person who exists or everyone else really does have more complexity to them then I can see, there's nothing to really be done about it. Just get up every day doing your best to do whatever makes you glad.

>> No.5337000

>>5336682
> remembering when I was a kid and would be hungry, I made myself a piece of toast with butter and a slice of kraft cheese on if
> TFW it was all that could be afforded outside regular meals
> TFW I would sometimes look in the fridge and want to eat the entire package of hot dogs, wondering what it would be like to take them all for myself, to get in trouble and be scorned for it

Of course now I can eat whole packages of hot dogs any time I want. Because I don't have anyone to share them with anyways....

>> No.5337034

>>5333251
you obviously don't understand how sugar works
Fucking colonials

>> No.5337072

>>5333563
>I bet you don;t work hard.
>Yes I do.
>>You got lucky!

>> No.5337201

>Work as a cashier at a Grocery outlet
>methheads and welfare whales abound